What are you reading?

justRich

I'm in the middle of "The Spy and the Traitor" and have in-waiting the new books from Michael Connoly (Bosh) and Lee Child (Jack Reacher) novels. 
Plus the Kamala Harris book "The Truths We Hold" also in the wings.  (I download to a Kindle)
Best book of 2020 was "These Truths" by Jill Lepore.

Lance-white-sands-500.jpg

~Rich

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I read lots of stuff that I pick up at the Salvation Army or other donation sites, I then donate it back. I tried getting library cards at the cities, but sometimes it was difficult and I can read several books and then suddenly don't read for a while. Only once did I realize I had a library book that was overdue. It wasn't the cost so much as the possibility I could have moved and taken it with me that bothered me. 

I don't like the books on screen, but I didn't like newspapers on an electronic device either. I now have two subscriptions. They are hometown papers that only do mailing or electronic delivery and no "Paper Boys" anymore.  It's no wonder the work ethic in youth has taken such a tumble. When I was growing up (and most likely many of you reading this), we were able to get a job in our teens and if we had a drivers license almost any job was available. Now it's impossible for a teen to find anything other than a fast food job or something like it. I started at a full service service station and learned how to change tires, use a tire machine, a hydraulic hoist and multiple types of lifting tools. I also was the operator of the "Tow Truck" when I was 17. My younger brother has had many people want to work for him in his "Tire Shop" but the "Insurance" won't allow any one under 18 to operate the equipment. 

Did I get injured on the job?, thankfully not very often or severely. Did I learn what not to do? Yes, many times. Did I cause a major loss for my employer. NO. Sure I heard of those who had, but I learned from those reports too. 

Education is more than reading books. It's living your life. Tried to come back to the OP's topic. How did I do? 

White 2000/2010Volvo VNL 770 with 7' Drom box with opposing doors,  JOST slider hitch. 600 HP Cummins Signature 18 Speed three pedal auto shift.

1999 Isuzu VehiCross retired to a sticks and bricks garage. Brought out of storage the summer of 2022

2022 Jeep Wrangler Sport S Two door hard top.

2007 Honda GL 1800

2013 Space Craft Mfg S420 Custom built Toyhauler

The Gold Volvo is still running and being emptied in July. 

• 4 months later...

Reading Mercy by Brett Battles. Prior to that I was reading the latest book by Andy Weir called Hail Mary. I love to read. I read books versus e-books. I used to read e-books but something about holding a book with real pages keeps me going back. 

My current reading kick is Sci-Fi with a smattering of Fantasy. I read a lot and Kindle Unlimited is definitely my friend. I do have "Killers of the Flower Moon: The Osage Murders and the Birth of the FBI" waiting in the wings as an audio book. I need a road trip 😀 since that is when we listen to the audio books.

SignatureNewest.jpg.a1bc8322b0862056fd28e25d5b1458db.jpg

4 hours ago, Chalkie said:

My current reading kick is Sci-Fi with a smattering of Fantasy. I read a lot and Kindle Unlimited is definitely my friend. I do have "Killers of the Flower Moon: The Osage Murders and the Birth of the FBI" waiting in the wings as an audio book. I need a road trip 😀 since that is when we listen to the audio books.

We also have Kindle Unlimited.  I've also been on a Sci-Fi kick, enjoying the Silver Ships (20 books) and the Pyreans (4 books) by Jucha and also the "First Colony" series (12 books) by Lozito.  

Our "Here and There" Blog

2005 Safari Cheetah Motorhome

Just finished All the Light We Cannot See by Anthony Doerr & highly recommend it.  As to Lee Child fans that have Amazon's Kindle Unlimited, check out the Mark Dawson John Milton series.  Not quite up to Lee Child, but pretty good & free.

For those interested in the Southwest, I enjoyed both The Monkey Wrench Gang & Desert Solitudes by Edward Abbey.

Since giving up TV, I read over 200 books per year & at least 100 audio books checked out from the library.  The NYC library is open to any resident of New York State, and has a huge collection of books, both audio & standard.

Edited by vermilye

150150.jpg.30f49e1e712c4af11a1e8f523a24f5d1.jpg

Travel photos RV Blogs Journals & Travelogues at:
http://www.lakeshoreimages.com
My Travel Blog - Jon's Journeys

21 hours ago, GR "Scott" Cundiff said:

We also have Kindle Unlimited.  I've also been on a Sci-Fi kick, enjoying the Silver Ships (20 books) and the Pyreans (4 books) by Jucha and also the "First Colony" series (12 books) by Lozito.  

You should check out Jamie McFarlane and his Privateer Tales (19 volumes) if you like the ones you listed.

SignatureNewest.jpg.a1bc8322b0862056fd28e25d5b1458db.jpg

• 1 month later...

"Educated" by Tara Westover - a worthy read quite unlike anything that I've read to date.  It's a remarkable true story of a very different life lived.

Currently reading:

The Spider Network:
The Wild Story of a Math Genius, a Gang of Backstabbing Bankers, and One of the Greatest Scams in Financial History

Book by David Enrich

~Rich

I am just starting "Trial by Fire" from P. T. Deutermann.  It is the true story of an aircraft carrier in the closing days of WW II that is bombed by the Japanese causing a massive fire and the 3 day battle to save the ship.  I have enjoyed the previous novels by Deutermann and expect this one will be a keeper also.

Safe Travels...

Roger, K4RS and Toni, K1TS
Amateur Radio Operators - Motorcycle Riders (Harley Davidson Tri-Glide Ultra)

Fulltime from 2003-2016 - Now longtime RVers

On the road, living the dream...
Ford F-250 Super Duty 7.3 liter diesel and Forest River XLR Toyhauler. 

Position report via amateur radio

Right now I'm reading the Lamb Among the Stars series by Chris Walley.

I've read it before, but it has been several years.  I think of it as the opposite of the Left Behind series.  The plot is built around the concept of the Biblical millennium, an extended time of human life as God intended.  Theologically there are "pre- and post- millenniumists."  A "pre-" believes Jesus will come back and usher in a 1000 years of peace.  A "post-" believes that following success by the Church in establishing Christianity that there will be 1000 years of peace on earth and good will toward men followed by the triumphant return of Christ.

Chris Walley takes the "1000 years" as a symbolic number - and, at the time of the book it has already lasted 13,000 years!  Humans are now on many planets, all still worshiping the Lord.

But something is changing...their "millennium" of peace is coming to an end....

http://www.chriswalley.net/books/lamb-among-the-stars/

Our "Here and There" Blog

2005 Safari Cheetah Motorhome

5 hours ago, GR "Scott" Cundiff said:

Right now I'm reading the Lamb Among the Stars series by Chris Walley.

http://www.chriswalley.net/books/lamb-among-the-stars/

It sound a little like "Time Enough for Love" by Robert Heinlein

The book covers several periods from the life of Lazarus Long (born Woodrow Wilson Smith), an early beneficiary of a breeding experiment designed to increase mankind's natural lifespan, known as the Howard Families, after the program's initiator. The result of more a mutation than the breeding experiment, he is the oldest living human, at more than two thousand years old.

~Rich

Just finished "New Earth", Science Fiction by Ben Bova, about a 1st Interstellar flight... great suspense and surprise ending!    And Mr. Bova's usual mix of hard space science and excellent story telling.

Just started " The Ruin of the Roman Empire", by Classical Historian James O'Connell, about the slow dissolution of the Roman Empire in the 6th Century, and the emergence & rise of ISLAM. 

2007 Dolphin

• Safe-T-Plus Steering Bar

Our Blog: Click Here

Have been recommending the "Earth Children's" series of books by Jean Auel to some of my younger co-workers. Anyone currently enjoying? 

I'm out of books for a bit, but will find some again one day. 

Rod

White 2000/2010Volvo VNL 770 with 7' Drom box with opposing doors,  JOST slider hitch. 600 HP Cummins Signature 18 Speed three pedal auto shift.

1999 Isuzu VehiCross retired to a sticks and bricks garage. Brought out of storage the summer of 2022

2007 Honda GL 1800

Have been reading forums on how to make my rifles shoot accurately. It takes a lot of reading, reading and more reading. Then make a mold, try that bullet design.

That has not worked very good up till now. Read more forums. I read one site seven times. Finally slow the heck down understand what the other person has experienced. 

So said person is one of the top muzzleloader shooters in the world. Really understand what he is saying. Put all my old bullets in the melting pot this am. 

Made a new mold the correct diameter and shape .  While polishing it on the inside the diameter was oversized. Then it took 4 tries to make a Swedge To compress the bullet to just the diameter I wanted.  441 thousands diameter is what was needed. One was .449, one was .452 and the other one will be used for my next rifle. 

Does this equal reading a book.

Maybe I should just read books.

Vern

On 8/1/2021 at 11:52 AM, Wrknrvr said:

Have been reading forums on how to make my rifles shoot accurately. It takes a lot of reading, reading and more reading. Then make a mold, try that bullet design.

That has not worked very good up till now. Read more forums. I read one site seven times. Finally slow the heck down understand what the other person has experienced. 

So said person is one of the top muzzleloader shooters in the world. Really understand what he is saying. Put all my old bullets in the melting pot this am. 

Made a new mold the correct diameter and shape .  While polishing it on the inside the diameter was oversized. Then it took 4 tries to make a Swedge To compress the bullet to just the diameter I wanted.  441 thousands diameter is what was needed. One was .449, one was .452 and the other one will be used for my next rifle. 

Vern

Reading is reading in my "BOOK", as long as it's FUNdemental. 

Rod

2007 Honda GL 1800

Wow read most of what's mentioned. Lappir we both read all of Jean Auel's Earth"s Children series.

Jim I liked the same histories as told by Will and Ariel Durant in their excellent "Story Of Civiliazation" series which did an especially good job on the emergence and rise of Islam and the golden age of Islam and how they preserved the knowledge Europe lost in the Dark ages.

Right now am finishing up the last two books of David Brody's 12 volume series "Templars In America." with Kindle Unlimited.

Wayne Stinnet is as good as Tom Clancy in my book. I read his Carribean Adventure series:

Caribbean Adventure Series (22 book series)
Kindle Edition

From Book 1: When Jesse McDermitt leaves the Marine Corps, he has no idea what he will do for the rest of his life. He only knows he doesn't want to spend the coming winter anywhere cold. His greatest skill is killing people from up to a mile away and he knows there aren't many job opportunities in the civilian world for that.

Jesse also knows his way around boats and has an old friend living free and easy in the Florida Keys. Being an experienced diver and angler, he immediately heads south toward Key West and the end of the road.

With a single comment, a waitress in a waterfront restaurant in north Key Largo shakes loose a long dormant dream and Jesse runs with it. With the help of friends, new and old, he buys just the right boat to live on and soon starts a part time charter business. Everything is going smoothly, until a Carolina girl and a hurricane hit him at the same time.

Danger lurks in the sleepy little town of Marathon, in the middle of the Florida Keys, as well as in the swamps of the Everglades. But danger doesn't expect to run into a man like Jesse. A man who will not only respond swiftly in facing it, but with a vengeance unexpected.

RV/Derek
http://www.rvroadie.com Email on the bottom of my website page.
Retired AF 1971-1998

When you see a worthy man, endeavor to emulate him. When you see an unworthy man, look inside yourself. - Confucius

“Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.” ... Voltaire

On 8/1/2021 at 9:52 AM, Wrknrvr said:

Vern

Maybe you should think about writing a book.
I'd guess that you've gathered enough accumulated knowledge to do it.

~Rich