What are you reading?

justRich

After spending a lot of $$ on Kindle books over the past few years, I recently got a library card from our local library system.  They have an ebook program where you can check out ebooks for 3 weeks at no charge.  I'm currently going through Lee Child's Jack Reacher series.  It seems like the library has all of them available.

Mike and Retha Hopkins

2014 Fleetwood Discovery 40G

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

47 minutes ago, chindog said:

After spending a lot of $$ on Kindle books over the past few years, I recently got a library card from our local library system.  They have an ebook program where you can check out ebooks for 3 weeks at no charge.  I'm currently going through Lee Child's Jack Reacher series.  It seems like the library has all of them available.

At my last nursing job they had a "Book Club" they always wanted me to join. I'd visit the local "Thrift Shops" buy some books and then bring them in to share. I know Authors and publishers don't like that much, but they probably don't like sharing with Kindle either. I think of it as reducing, reusing and therefore recycling. Can't afford to carry around all the books I've read. 

I also sign up for library cards if I'm in a place for over a few weeks. (If they allow). 

Rod

White 2000/2010Volvo VNL 770 with 7' Drom box with opposing doors,  JOST slider hitch. 600 HP Cummins Signature 18 Speed three pedal auto shift.

1999 Isuzu VehiCross retired to a sticks and bricks garage. Brought out of storage the summer of 2022

2022 Jeep Wrangler Sport S Two door hard top.

2007 Honda GL 1800

2013 Space Craft Mfg S420 Custom built Toyhauler

The Gold Volvo is still running and being emptied in July. 

I have a library card here too. Sometimes I take a day or two to read a book, sometimes a month and a half. I had hassles with the ebook programs as they did not want to renew my checkouts there in Louisiana and will check the library out here next week. I got my card when we moved here but the pandemic kept me away. I just renewed it and never set foot in the library. I love visiting the library.

But my kindle unlimited costs less than I used to spend a month at the used book store. And that was years ago. And I don't have to sell or add to the landfill/dumps.

Thanks for the reminders guys. Since they are cost free I can do both. I have to be able to read them on my Android phone, my windows Surface tablets and my and my Amazon fire tablet I use to read in bed. I am sure by now the libraries have that down pat so all e-readers work now.

RV/Derek
http://www.rvroadie.com Email on the bottom of my website page.
Retired AF 1971-1998

When you see a worthy man, endeavor to emulate him. When you see an unworthy man, look inside yourself. - Confucius

“Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.” ... Voltaire

• 1 month later...

I don't think anyone has mentioned this yet but check out Bookbub. It's an email service that sends you daily emails about discounted ebooks and often free ebooks. Set up your profile as you like and fill up your kindle account. Some are relatively unknown self published authors and others are fairly well known authors.

I've been reading ebooks since before kindle. Started on a Mako device, then progressed through the years to my S22 currently.

Back on the road again in a 2011 Roadtrek 210P

2011 Tahoe 4x4, 2006 Lexus GX470, 2018 Ranger XP1000, 2013 RZR 570LE
http://finallynewellin.blogspot.com/

458863254_cabinavatarcopy.jpg.7751792e372f5959d079d77730f9290d.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

I've gotten lots of free books with bookbub. I have so many saved I stopped my participation.

RV/Derek
http://www.rvroadie.com Email on the bottom of my website page.
Retired AF 1971-1998

When you see a worthy man, endeavor to emulate him. When you see an unworthy man, look inside yourself. - Confucius

“Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.” ... Voltaire

I read this book once every year.   In the Gravest Extreme, by Massad Ayoob.

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA ." And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you--ask what you can do for your country.  John F. Kennedy 20 Jan 1961

• 6 months later...
On 2/21/2024 at 7:59 AM, justRich said:

Yikes!  $34 dollars, used on Amazon.  And a solid 5 stars.  Not available at my public library Overdrive.

You should find this review quite interesting and informative. Be sure to watch the video at middle of page. https://www.gunsholstersandgear.com/book-reviews/gravest-extreme-massad-ayoob/

This book is $15 from https://pangobooks.com/books/7deac20f-b0e2-4ec4-adce-d7ad1efbefeb-bCAEPXxO7maMUb10UfRhu8LhVLy2

and from: https://www.alibris.com/In-the-Gravest-Extreme-The-Role-of-the-Firearm-in-Personal-Protection-Massad-F-Ayoob/book/3172697

Edited by Ray,IN

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA ." And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you--ask what you can do for your country.  John F. Kennedy 20 Jan 1961

Lately I have read more magazines with National Geographic and NG History the leading ones. I usually have a biography or historic novel of some sort in progress as well. I rarely read a book the second time but did do that with both Tom Sawyer and Huckleberry Finn after about 50 years. 

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

• 2 weeks later...

I enjoy reading but I have ADHD so that makes it difficult. My mind wanders. I have been working on 2 books. 

Paul Reveres ride by David Hackett Fischer and 3 bodies burning.

3 Bodies Burning was written by an Omaha Detective who solved the case of the 3 bodies they found burning in the early 90s. Drug deal gone bad traced back to the Mexican cartel. My being from Nebraska and raised about 45 minutes from Omaha I found the book interesting. 

Paul Reveres ride on the other hand is a bit dry but I enjoy learning about history, so I am getting through it. Slowly. 

Farmer, Trucker, Equipment operator, Mechanic

Quando omni flunkus moritati-When all else fails, play dead
I'm a man, but I can change, if I have to, I guess.

Currently, I'm diving into a captivating Colleen Hoover series, and I'm absolutely hooked! There's something magical about getting lost in the intricate lives of her characters. Reading has always been my escape, and finding a gripping series like this feels like discovering treasure.

Edited by nogadame