What are you reading?

justRich

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/16/2021 at 11:31 AM, Mr. Camper said:

I just finished "The President's Daughter" by James Patterson.  Just started reading "The Noise" by James Patterson.

If you haven't bought this yet, save your money.  It was advertised as a suspense/horror story.  Not usually my cup of tea but Patterson normally has good reads.  This should have been labeled as pure science-fiction.  If you like sci-fi then be aware that this is about 422 pages and you'll be halfway through before there is any semblance of a plot and not a credible one at that.  Just a warning.

Just started "Twisted" by Jonathan Kellerman. I'm liking how it has started and can see an excellent character progression. Hope it turns out that way. 

Rod

White 2000/2010Volvo VNL 770 with 7' Drom box with opposing doors,  JOST slider hitch. 600 HP Cummins Signature 18 Speed three pedal auto shift.

1999 Isuzu VehiCross retired to a sticks and bricks garage. Brought out of storage the summer of 2022

2022 Jeep Wrangler Sport S Two door hard top.

2007 Honda GL 1800

2013 Space Craft Mfg S420 Custom built Toyhauler

The Gold Volvo is still running and being emptied in July. 

I just finished The Faceless Old Woman Who Secretly Lives In Your Home, by Joseph Fink.  An interesting read for those that enjoy the combination of a ghost story & history.  " A funny, terrifying, and unpredictable slice of Night Vale's macabre history." — Kirkus Reviews (starred review)"

150150.jpg.30f49e1e712c4af11a1e8f523a24f5d1.jpg

Travel photos RV Blogs Journals & Travelogues at:
http://www.lakeshoreimages.com
My Travel Blog - Jon's Journeys

• 1 month later...

I just finished the Templars in America Series (12 book series) Kindle Edition

Loved every volume. Historically adds fiction to surprising facts and artifacts. Filled with pictures of artifacts throughout North America, and I did learn about the Melungians, who include Abraham Lincoln, Elvis, and Tom Hanks. Modern DNA studies confirm a lot of new discoveries that already have changed history. I had no idea about America's Stonehenge or the DC obelisk not in plain sight. It is fiction wrapped around surprising facts. It was a fun trip. I hope he comes back and adds to it.

It is proving as good as the Templar series as a mystery thriller set in the 1990s and based on true events. Loving volume 1.

Edited by RV_

RV/Derek
http://www.rvroadie.com Email on the bottom of my website page.
Retired AF 1971-1998

When you see a worthy man, endeavor to emulate him. When you see an unworthy man, look inside yourself. - Confucius

“Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.” ... Voltaire

Finished reading "Nomadland: Surviving America in the 21st Century" by Jessica Bruder (haven't seen the movie yet).

The author does correctly capture what it is like working at Amazon, picking sugarbeets, or being a workamper in national forest.

However, if you knew nothing about fulltime RVers and read the book, you would think that EVERYONE who travels fulltime does so because they are destitute and needs a cheap way of living. I  would have liked a little bit more statistics on the working population she was writing about.

2016 Leisure Travel Van Serenity S24CB

I just finished "Ka-Bar Karma", the latest book in the John Lee Quarrels mystery series by former full time RV'er and Gypsy Journal publisher Nick Russell. As always from Nick, a good read...

Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F-53 Chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/brake system

Just about to finish " The Ruin of the Roman Empire", by Classical Historian James O'Connell, about the slow dissolution of the Roman Empire in the 6th Century, and the emergence & rise of ISLAM.    Kind of a slow read... gotta stop & think every couple pages.   Not sure what comes next, but I got a $50 gift card to Barnes & Noble...

2007 Dolphin

• Safe-T-Plus Steering Bar

Our Blog: Click Here

8 hours ago, Jim & Alice said:

Just about to finish " The Ruin of the Roman Empire", by Classical Historian James O'Connell, about the slow dissolution of the Roman Empire in the 6th Century

Hey Jim and Alice.  How about saving me having to read this book and answer a quick question.

I've heard all my life that the fall of the Roman Empire was due to the Romans voting to give themselves more benefits than they were willing/able to pay for.  Any truth to that?  Thanks.

42 minutes ago, durangodon said:

Any truth to that?

That is an interesting theory, but if you really wish to get an idea of the book's controversial thesis. there is a pretty good review of it by Publisher's Weekly on the internet. 

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

2 hours ago, durangodon said:

Hey Jim and Alice.  How about saving me having to read this book and answer a quick question.

I've heard all my life that the fall of the Roman Empire was due to the Romans voting to give themselves more benefits than they were willing/able to pay for.  Any truth to that?  Thanks.

No, if anything, one can see the drift into Feudalism... the powerful consolidated their regional power by force of arms, and the poorer became even more poor and bound to the local Lord.

2007 Dolphin

2 hours ago, Kirk W said:

That is an interesting theory, but if you really wish to get an idea of the book's controversial thesis. there is a pretty good review of it by Publisher's Weekly on the internet. 

Thanks, Kirk!   I didn't even know that site existed.   Like I mentioned, it is a slow read... every few pages, gotta stop and absorb... and think... What the review doesn't get into is how impoverished the average 'Roman citizen' was.   The level of daily living detail is not the focus, but it does come out quite starkly.

2007 Dolphin

8 hours ago, Jim & Alice said:

Thanks, Kirk!   I didn't even know that site existed.   Like I mentioned, it is a slow read... every few pages, gotta stop and absorb... and think... What the review doesn't get into is how impoverished the average 'Roman citizen' was.   The level of daily living detail is not the focus, but it does come out quite starkly.

“Those who fail to learn from history are doomed to repeat it.” Sir Winston Churchill

Today I read an eye chart without glasses, down the the center line_.

Edited by Ray,IN

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA ." And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you--ask what you can do for your country.  John F. Kennedy 20 Jan 1961

• 2 months later...
  • 11 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I'm currently reading the "Sunset on America" series from Ryan Schow. It's a post apocalyptic EMP thriller series that's a real page turner.

I'm also almost patiently waiting for Amazon to release volume 22 of former fulltime RV'er Nick Russell's "Big Lake" series, "Big Lake Drunk". The Big Lake series are lighter mysteries with a touch of humor thrown in. The book is finished, but Amazon is still doing whatever it is they do before making books available to us. Nick's other mystery series, the "John Lee Quarrels" series is a bit darker, and his third series, "Tinder Street", is well researched historical fiction. I've found all of them to be very good reading and well worth my time.

Dutch

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

I am on book 13 of 22 of the "Big Lake" series by Nick Russell. His characters are like family now.

I have eclectic tastes in reading going from poetry to science fiction to history to philosophy to historical fiction to military history and International affairs. I especially like the history of the protestant reformation, The Golden Age of Islam, early religions and origins like Zoroastrians, Egyption beliefs and some of the amazing archeological finds that make no sense by old narratives.

Nick is a friend as well as a writer of engaging tales. His Big Lake books are like the Andy Griffith show and the TV series Longmire rolled into one. Comfort reading of the engaging kind.

RV/Derek
http://www.rvroadie.com Email on the bottom of my website page.
Retired AF 1971-1998

When you see a worthy man, endeavor to emulate him. When you see an unworthy man, look inside yourself. - Confucius

“Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.” ... Voltaire

7 hours ago, RV_ said:

I am on book 13 of 22 of the "Big Lake" series by Nick Russell. His characters are like family now.

I have eclectic tastes in reading going from poetry to science fiction to history to philosophy to historical fiction to military history and International affairs. I especially like the history of the protestant reformation, The Golden Age of Islam, early religions and origins like Zoroastrians, Egyption beliefs and some of the amazing archeological finds that make no sense by old narratives.

Nick is a friend as well as a writer of engaging tales. His Big Lake books are like the Andy Griffith show and the TV series Longmire rolled into one. Comfort reading of the engaging kind.

Nick also has a new volume in his "Tinder Street" series out. "A Changing World (Tinder Street Saga Book 5)" continues the story of the McNally's and their extended family, this time in the second half of the 1930's. The series is well researched historical fiction that starts with the days leading up to World War 1. The series is free for Amazon Kindle Unlimited members.

https://www.amazon.com/Changing-World-Tinder-Street-Saga-ebook/dp/B0C5ZDBVJ6/

Dutch