Roadside assistance renewal.

chief916

I know your asking for other options, but I have Good Sam and will renew with them again.  I have used them to tow my HDT previously and was happy with the service.  I figure I’m already money ahead based on the cost of that tow.

2000 Kenworth T2000 w/ Cummins N14 and autoshift
2017 DRV Mobile Suite 40KSSB4 with factory mods, dealer mods and personal mods - now in the RV graveyard
2022 DRV Full House MX450 with customized floor plan
2018 Polaris RZR Turbo S (fits in the garage)
2016 Smart Car (fits in the garage or gets flat towed behind the DRV when the RZR is in the garage)
My First Solar Install Thread
My Second Solar Install Thread & Photos and Documents Related to the build
My MX450's solar, battery and inverter system - my biggest system yet!

chadheiser.com      West Coast HDT Rally Website

event.png    

AZCACOIDIAKSMNMOMTNENVNMNDOKSDTNTXUTWYxlg.jpg

Have Good Sams And will renew when it expires. Have used it several times. Once in Roanoke Va. to tow the truck and the 5er to Western Branch Diesel to work on the Super 10. The tow cost $400 and was reimbursed from Good Sams. I thought there was going to be a problem BUT NO ISSUES. The tow was only 10-12 miles. But the tow truck was a new 3 rear axle TOP Shelf fresh from the KY Truck Show Tow Truck. We took pictures it was so good looking. The driver impressed with his knowledge and abilities. On the "Hook" but with style.    Pat

The Old Sailor

Same here. I have been very happy with Good Sam ERS every time I have needed it.

Dennis & Nancy
Tucson, AZ in winter, on the road in summer.

1999 Volvo 610 "Bud" 425 HP Volvo, Super 10 spd.
2005 Mountain Aire 35 BLKS
2013 smart fortwo CityFlame riding on Bud
(Replaced '05 smart first loaded in '06

and '11 smart that gave it's life to save me!)
Our Travel Blog

We were canceled by Good Sam ERS, never used their service for the truck and trailer.

We did however use the service for keys locked in cars once or twice and to tow a car twice (a year apart) when it failed to start away from home in our local community.

No real explanation, I do not recall exactly why.

I would like to hear from others who they use for Road Side Assistance.

2006 Volvo VNL 780, " Arvey"  Volvo D12, 465hp, 1650 ft/lbs tq., ultrashift

2003 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon

2010 Forest River Coachman Freedom Express 280RLS

Jackalopee

We've had Good Sam for over 10 years.  The only time we tried to use their service, in 2014, we were broke down on the Alaska Highway, 60 miles north of Destruction Bay.  Wife went to find help, found a phone booth, (no cell service), and called.  In describing our needs, she used the word "semi" and that's all the person on the other end heard.  He replied that they don't tow commercial vehicles and there was no explaining it to him.  We're still stuck up here, waiting a tow.

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN
Lots of old motorcycles, Moto Guzzi Griso and Spyder F3 currently in the front row
Young enough to play in the dirt as a retired farmer.
contact me at rickeieio1@comcast.net

I had Good Sam Road "Service". The one time I needed their help, they were unavailable. I did not renew with GS. I do have AAA RV Premier Service as well as FMCA's Roadside Rescue. Having a second service gives me peace of mind costing me ~ $120 a year. I'll gladly pay $10 a month for that.

I have had Coachnet for 10 years. I have had the Volvo towed 4 times and have never had any problems. The last tow was 140 miles and I have never seen a bill ever. I think it is $179 a year and I'm thousands of dollars ahead.

When I first got Coachnet I had heard to many bad things about GS being shaky about if they would tow our trucks so I never messed with them and went directly to Coachnet. May be different now. Every time I have called Coachnet the first question they ask is 'Are you in a safe place'? I have never considered anything else since then.

Edited by Brad & Jacolyn

Brad and Jacolyn
Tucker the Wonder dog and Brynn the Norfolk Terrier
2009 Smart "Joy"
2004 VNL630 "Vonda the Volvo"
2008 Hitch Hiker 35 CK Champagne Edition
VED12 465 HP, Freedomline, 3.73 ratio, WB 218"
Fulltiming and loving it.

Hi Everyone,

I have a question or too. Is there different levels of coverage from Good Sam for our size rigs ? 

Thanks for any help,     
Al

2012 Volvo VNL 630 w/ I-Shift; D13 engine; " Veeger "
  Redwood, model 3401R ; 5th Wheel Trailer, " Dead Wood "
    2006 Smart Car " Killer Frog "

This should apply to whatever you drive and/or tow.

With few exceptions, the "Motor Clubs" all contract to tow operators in the area where you desire service to be rendered. Consequently, the tow operator contacted by the Motor Club may have contracts with multiple Motor Clubs - as well as local agencies, such as the state Highway Patrol, local counties and cities for traffic accidents, etc. Those agencies are the "regular" customers!!

The latter will get the highest priority during high volume times, which may generate long wait times for a tow operator to arrive. Also, excellent service in one area - may be poor service in another - depending on lots of "factors" -  with no fault of/by your ERS provider.

In the past, you could join the Tow Forums (tow411.net-yuki) and read the various sub-forums which included comments and opinions by the tow operators on the various Motor Clubs. Often they were negative in nature, mostly about being reimbursed by the Motor Clubs - either in a timely manner -or- being questioned about the amount of the invoice.

Unfortunately - that forum began requiring members to either be working for a tow operator or be the owner of the service.  That also included a membership fee. (And the name of the tow service).

Fast forward to the current forum/s by and for tow operators:  www.towforce.net/.  "Tow Forums" are now at Tow Force dot net. Apparently, the new forum is not restricted in the same manner.

• I was able to go online, and give it a try......although I did *not* try multiple threads, the one that caught my eye was a thread asking the operators to rank (in their opinion) the Top Ten Motor Clubs. Very interesting, and viewers should keep in mind - most Motor Clubs belong to a "parent" organization - which is who they (in turn) contract with for the services their organization will provide.  Sometimes the names are *not* familiar!

http://www.towforce.net/topic/11789-2020-top-ten-motor-club-rnaking/

Hope the link works.  Some of the posters included comments along with rankings.

Edited by Pappy Yokum

When I showed a representative from Coach-Net a picture of our truck at a rally the young lady was very nice and said still having 2 axles in the rear they would not tow us, went to GS with no issue but have yet to need road service ( holding my breath 😬)

2017 River Stone Legacy 38MB

2001 T2000 Kenworth

2009 Smart Passion

ET Junior hitch

18 hours ago, dblr said:

When I showed a representative from Coach-Net a picture of our truck at a rally the young lady was very nice and said still having 2 axles in the rear they would not tow us, went to GS with no issue but have yet to need road service ( holding my breath 😬)

I have GS and have used them once, not for a tow but a roadside mechanic which they do not cover.  I specifically asked GS about tandem and they said no issue.  I also called and asked Coachnet the same question when I was comparing and they also said no issue, but I had heard others say it was an issue.   The fact that different representatives from Coachnet said different things is what made me stay with GS.

2006 Volvo 780 "Hoss" Volvo D12, 465hp, 1650 ft/lbs tq., ultrashift

Bed Build by "JW Morgan's Custom Welding"

2017 DRV 39DBRS3

2013 Smart Passion Coupe "Itty Bitty"

"Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first!"

On 12/6/2020 at 10:51 AM, dblr said:

Reply is also for "SuiteSuccess":

Does the really nice lady -in person or on the phone -  *REALLY* know ?? - For sure?

Many transport *Motorcycles* on the deck of your HDT. 

Being a rider for many, many years...I have an AMA membership including the towing benefit.  (at $50. a year why not?) Tow anything. - including a tow vehicle and trailer, or  just your M/C,.  Having your M/C with you is not necessary for a tow.. Negative = towing is limited to 35 miles.  So it's my "backup" to/for my "primary" ERS.

When I was dong my research - an HDT was in the cards....maybe tandem, maybe not.  I called the AMA tow service line with a "major" question.  Would the tow service tow a *tandem* HDT?  The "nice lady" didn't really have an answer - which she admitted.  So she gave me the phone number for their parent company - and suggested I call.  The tandem HDT didn't become a reality - so didn't follow up on that one.

Primary ERS is US Rider.

NO !!  The "rider" doesn't refer to motorcycles, but to hayburners....as in horses.  (At least one of the HDT members also has US Rider). They are same as above - tow anything -tow vehicle and trailer, no problem with tandem HDTs.  No need to own -or- be  transporting- horses, although they are the only ERS who will tow a trailer containing horses.  (Most equestrian owner/riders tow with at least an MDT,  and  HDTs - as well as dually LGTs, LOL).

However, on reading the contract, I had some questions.  So, I sent off an e-mail.  I received both an e-mail reply AND a letter in the US mail by the Director of Operations, USRider Equestrian Motor Plan - who at that time (2014) was a * VERY* nice lady, Linda Lee - both indicated I was welcome to call her directly - which I did.

So they continue to get my ERS dollars - and I carry a copy of the clarifications and definitions of and for their ERS.  Kinda like most of you do for your HDTs for LEOs. & scales, etc.

Only thing I never asked (an opinion) ....was how many *horse trailers* are there in the USA -vs- RV trailers? How many folks own horses that they transport?  BTW they will not tow horse trailers being towed by a commercial operator.

The negative....I receive a regular vendor catalog of/for clothing and tack.

Never have had the need to use either of the services.....or the catalog.

IMO - bottom line- make sure you have  -(*whatever* you have)-  in writing in case the nice lady might be wrong - - or the contract tow operator "doesn't know". 

Edited by Pappy Yokum

On 12/6/2020 at 11:36 AM, alan0043 said:

Hi Everyone,

I have a question or too. Is there different levels of coverage from Good Sam for our size rigs ? 

Thanks for any help,     
Al

What is the average cost of Good Sam for a HDT ? 

On 12/6/2020 at 11:36 AM, alan0043 said:

Hi Everyone,

Thanks for any help,     
Al

Al,. There is different coverages.  In our case where we want coverages for the HDT and trailers,. I made sure the person I was talking to understood that we were talking about my Volvo road tractor.  With that in mind he told me I should stay with the coverage that i had last year which is GS elite.  So nothing has changed for us.  It still cost the same $149.00.

Thanks to everyone who gave their feedback from the different coverages they have.

You all stay safe and have a Merry Christmas and New Years.

Ben   'chief916'

As far as i know Good Sam will tow whatever you drive. HDT, MDT, pickup, car, motorcycle....not sure about bicycle!  I was once was in need of a tow and when i told the operator that i had a MDT and needed a larger tow truck there was a pause while she looked up the definition of Freightliner MDT.  When she came back on the line she said we do not tow commercial dump trucks!!! When i asked her where she got the idea i was a dump truck she replied that she looked it up on the net and was looking at a picture of a dump truck!  Instead of arguing with her i just asked for a supervisor.  The line went silent and after 2 or 3 minutes she said the tow would arrive in 20 minutes!  

When i first signed up to good sam i had a MH towing an enclosed cargo trailer and asked how they would deal with the trailer the reply was "we will send as many tow trucks as needed" and that was good enough for me!

2004 Freightliner m2 106  2015 DRV lx450 Fullhouse  2019 Indian Springfield 2014 Yamaha 950 V-Star

1 hour ago, chief916 said:

Al,. There is different coverages.  In our case where we want coverages for the HDT and trailers,. I made sure the person I was talking to understood that we were talking about my Volvo road tractor.  With that in mind he told me I should stay with the coverage that i had last year which is GS elite.  So nothing has changed for us.  It still cost the same $149.00.

Thanks to everyone who gave their feedback from the different coverages they have.

You all stay safe and have a Merry Christmas and New Years.

Ben   'chief916'

Hi Ben,

Thank you very much for the info.   

Al