Keeping propane flowing in cold temperatures

noteven

In cold temperatures there is a point where the propane stops boiling into vapor and supply will stop to your appliances. Sometimes people refer to this as “freezing up” but it is actually lack of boiling...

Charts are available with vessel sizes, btu/hr demand, outside temperature limits.

Around -20F cylinders are getting to their limit to supply my trailer’s furnaces. The 80gal pig is ok.

Edited by noteven
too many words

"Are we there yet?" asked no motorcycle rider, ever. 

Pure propane stops vaporizing at -44.42 deg, at 14.7 psia.

At -20 degF, the heat absorbed by the bottle has to exceed the refrigerating effect of the vaporizing propane. The liquid propane will reach -44-42 degF and stop vaporizing.  You can always put a heat lamp on the tank to raise the temperature.

Edited by TXiceman

Amateur radio operator, 2023 Cougar 22MLS, 2022 F150 Lariat 4x4 Off Road, Sport trim <br />Travel with 1 miniature schnauzer, 1 standard schnauzer and one African Gray parrot

3 hours ago, TXiceman said:

Pure propane stops vaporizing at -44.42 deg, at 14.7 psig.

At -20 degF, the heat absorbed by the bottle has to exceed the refrigerating effect of the vaporizing propane. The liquid propane will reach -44-42 degF and stop vaporizing.  You can always put a heat lamp on the tank to raise the temperature.

Exactly!

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA ." And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you--ask what you can do for your country.  John F. Kennedy 20 Jan 1961

12 hours ago, TXiceman said:

Pure propane stops vaporizing at -44.42 deg, at 14.7 psig.

8 hours ago, Ray,IN said:

Exactly!

Not quite. The pressure isn't measured in psig, but psia. 14.7 psig would still be enough pressure for RV appliances to operate. Sadly, they won't operate in those temperatures.

I have been wrong before, I'll probably be wrong again. 

2000 Kenworth T 2000 w/N-14 and 10 speed Gen1 Autoshift, deck built by Star Fabrication
2006 smart fourtwo cdi cabriolet
2007 32.5' Fleetwood Quantum

Please e-mail us here.

21 minutes ago, DJohns said:

I wonder how many  folks would still be in the camper at -20 to -40?

Done it. Didn't enjoy it. It almost turns into work, just existing. Add a full time job at the same temperatures, makes winter long.

I have been wrong before, I'll probably be wrong again. 

2000 Kenworth T 2000 w/N-14 and 10 speed Gen1 Autoshift, deck built by Star Fabrication
2006 smart fourtwo cdi cabriolet
2007 32.5' Fleetwood Quantum

Please e-mail us here.

My bad, I know the difference between PSIA and PSIG and mis-typed.  Corrected the original post to read PSIA.

Ken

Amateur radio operator, 2023 Cougar 22MLS, 2022 F150 Lariat 4x4 Off Road, Sport trim <br />Travel with 1 miniature schnauzer, 1 standard schnauzer and one African Gray parrot

Propane cylinder/tank heater blankets are commonly used in the colder parts of the US and Canada:

https://www.amazon.com/Powerblanket-PBL20-Cylinder-Propane-Charcoal/dp/B00PKKHC2Y/

Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F-53 Chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/brake system

5 hours ago, Jinx & Wayne said:

We had to laugh.  One of the reasons we have a RV is never having to see -20 again.

Wayne  and Jinx from Maine

That’s not funny you guys😆

Signed,

Snowbird grounded in western Canada. 

I started the thread hoping someone with proper knowledge would contribute which they are. The situation has altered lots of wintering plans for people.

Yes you can blanket and heat cylinders - I’ve done that. That kind of weather also adds needing to fill frequently chores which is a nuisance.

I have a 80gal pig at base camp. It is large enough to supply adequate fuel without cover or heating it. Delivered to my location my supplier charges 1/2 of cylinder fill price. It’s 25miles one way to fill cylinders.

I can "Freeze up" my 30# tank for my generator in about 6 hours of running at 50 degrees outside temp. A 20# tank does it in about 3 hours. Basically the generator is sucking more gas than the tank can convert from liquid to gas. I may have to try a tank heater next.

2005 Freightliner Century S/T, Singled, Air ride ET Jr. hitch
2019 46'+ Dune Sport Man Cave custom 5th wheel toy hauler
Owner of the 1978 Custom Van "Star Dreamer" which might be seen at a local car show near you!

Check out http://www.hhrvresource.com/

for much more info on HDT's.

6 hours ago, Jinx & Wayne said:

My sympathies. Is there any way to get a really big pig and delivery?

Thanks.  My 80gal (320 lbs) lasts quite a while and refills are delivered. 

20 hours ago, bigjim said:

Too bad there is not a way to use the exhaust from the generator to heat the thank.  Safely of course.

You could do that with some aluminum dryer vent pipe.  I've used a small electric heater under a blankie.

Edited by noteven

On 10/29/2020 at 4:55 PM, Star Dreamer said:

I can "Freeze up" my 30# tank for my generator in about 6 hours of running at 50 degrees outside temp. A 20# tank does it in about 3 hours. Basically the generator is sucking more gas than the tank can convert from liquid to gas. I may have to try a tank heater next.

The small surface area is the problem LP only vaporizes at the surface of the liquid form, which is why larger horizontal tanks are preferred.

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA ." And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you--ask what you can do for your country.  John F. Kennedy 20 Jan 1961

On 10/28/2020 at 11:51 AM, Dutch_12078 said:

Propane cylinder/tank heater blankets are commonly used in the colder parts of the US and Canada:

https://www.amazon.com/Powerblanket-PBL20-Cylinder-Propane-Charcoal/dp/B00PKKHC2Y/

$160......... a heating pad and a ace bandage should keep that tank warm. As a fulltime RVer sometimes I have to come up with  creative solutions with what I carry with me.

Edited by rynosback

2015 Ram 3500 RC DRW CTD AISIN 410 rear

2016 Mobile Suites 38RSB3

2 hours ago, bigjim said:

I am fairly sure propane forklifts us a horizontal cylinder for that reason.

Forktrucks run on liquid propane only. Appliances use vaporized propane, the cylinder/tank valving must be above the liquid level. High output appliance burners consume propane faster than it can vaporize in containers with a small diameter during cold weather.

10 hours ago, bigjim said:

I am fairly sure propane forklifts us a horizontal cylinder for that reason.

From propane 101:

Propane powered forklifts primarily use 33 pound cylinders as their fuel source and are equipped for liquid service. Because the cylinders are designed for liquid service, they have to be placed properly on the lift truck to operate correctly.

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

11 hours ago, rynosback said:

$160......... a heating pad and a ace bandage should keep that tank warm. As a fulltime RVer sometimes I have to come up with  creative solutions with what I carry with me.

Make sure it's a weatherproof heating pad unless your cylinders are enclosed. ;)

Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F-53 Chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/brake system