Engine Swap - OT for HDT

RandyA

Hi Randy,

Thanks for the update. I knew you would do your homework on your motor choice. Please keep us updated.

Al

2012 Volvo VNL 630 w/ I-Shift; D13 engine; " Veeger "
  Redwood, model 3401R ; 5th Wheel Trailer, " Dead Wood "
    2006 Smart Car " Killer Frog "

18 hours ago, bobsallyh said:

Randy A and others on the HDT sight, keep the projects coming. I'm not an HDTer, but I sure do like reading and looking at them. Myself, I got projected out a number of years ago.

So has this become like the Hot Rod Magazine or other mags of old??  Living vicariously through others projects?

Marcel

With continued yucky weather keeping me indoors I decided to tackle the wiring harness.  The harness I have was handed down with the engine as "professionally made".  The more I looked at it the more disturbed I became with what I had.  The wiring was wrapped with what I believe to be some cheap imported vinyl tape.  The workmanship was just plain sloppy.  So, Mr. wire guy here has started cutting off all the vinyl wrap, tracing wiring and connectors, routing the wiring harness and redoing everything with split loom and professional wire wrap tape.  It is a slow process as I am checking every wire and connection between the two connectors that go to the PCM and each sensor or connector.  The only thing that really puzzles me is there is no wiring or connector for the boost Control Solenoid.  I've got to do some research on why that would be so.

I have decided to order the front exhaust manifold (Log) from ZZPerformance to replace the OEM cast iron manifold.  The manifold on the other side where the 3" outlet resides is OEM header style stainless steel.  It will a lot easier to do it now than when it is in the car.  For an old guy that grew up on metering rods, carb jets, float levels and ignition point dwell this OBD stuff is a real learning experience. Who would have thought (back in the day) that it would take so many wires just to make a gas motor run 😎 .

P1010490.jpg

P1010492.jpg

300.JPG.c2a50e50210ede7534c4c440c7f9aa80.JPG

Randy, Nancy and Oscar

"The Great White" - 2004 Volvo VNL670, D12, 10-speed, converted to single axle pulling a Keystone Cambridge 5th wheel, 40', 4 slides and about 19,000# with empty tanks.

ARS - WB4BZX, Electrical Engineer, Master Electrician, D.Ed., Professor Emeritus - Happily Retired!

On 4/23/2020 at 3:16 PM, rickeieio said:

Oh my.  that would make some of us unhappy.  I'm highly entertained by others' projects.  It gives me ideas and inspiration.  If all goes well, tomorrow I'll complete my latest project (HDT related), and this time I took pictures to share.

I agree with Rick. I like to hear about other peoples projects. Being a full timer that has put a real stopper on most of my projects. Plus I get to keep all my knuckles. Of course like most of the rest of us I'm always willing to pitch in and help if someone needs it.

Brad

Brad and Jacolyn
Tucker the Wonder dog and Brynn the Norfolk Terrier
2009 Smart "Joy"
2004 VNL630 "Vonda the Volvo"
2008 Hitch Hiker 35 CK Champagne Edition
VED12 465 HP, Freedomline, 3.73 ratio, WB 218"
Fulltiming and loving it.

On 4/26/2020 at 8:51 AM, Brad & Jacolyn said:

I agree with Rick. I like to hear about other peoples projects. Being a full timer that has put a real stopper on most of my projects. Plus I get to keep all my knuckles. Of course like most of the rest of us I'm always willing to pitch in and help if someone needs it.

Brad

Brad is a pretty good helper / doer when he gets on a project!

Rocky & Sheri Rhoades
'01 Volvo 770
2016 DRV Mobile Suites, Houston
HERO Makers Ministry

30495168531_143d8fb8d6_m.jpg

I could use Brad's help here.  Bolted the clutch and transmission to the engine today and intended to install it on my spare '88 cradle only to discover I needed the front 88 engine mount.  It is on the car and I am not ready to pull it yet so ordered one from the Fiero Store.  I am now waiting for three different parts orders.  Learning very quickly for the umpteenth time that there are no such words as "simple" and "cheap" for anything with wheels, an engine or the structure to go in water.

I did get the wiring harness finished and checked out then dressed to the engine.  That was an extremely time consuming undertaking (Let's see, red wire goes to blue PCM connector hole #27 and then runs to connector T24 pin #3, etc.)  Of course, I still have the wiring from the 3800 PCM to interface with items on the car like gauges, AC, Cruse, etc.  Car is OBD1, 3800 engine is OBD2.  Many items on car are analog while signals from new PCM are digital.  I can convert, but it will require building a few new circuit board interfaces.  Things were so much easier when the speedometer had a cable rather than wires.

Edited by RandyA

Randy, Nancy and Oscar

"The Great White" - 2004 Volvo VNL670, D12, 10-speed, converted to single axle pulling a Keystone Cambridge 5th wheel, 40', 4 slides and about 19,000# with empty tanks.

ARS - WB4BZX, Electrical Engineer, Master Electrician, D.Ed., Professor Emeritus - Happily Retired!

On 4/27/2020 at 9:48 AM, HERO Maker said:

Brad is a pretty good helper / doer when he gets on a project!

Thanks Rocky I sure try. Randy I'm in Beaumont, Tx. Bet I'm not close to you so I can't help. Sorry.

Brad and Jacolyn
Tucker the Wonder dog and Brynn the Norfolk Terrier
2009 Smart "Joy"
2004 VNL630 "Vonda the Volvo"
2008 Hitch Hiker 35 CK Champagne Edition
VED12 465 HP, Freedomline, 3.73 ratio, WB 218"
Fulltiming and loving it.

Pappy, Randy    Thanks for the info but it seems that this 19 V has everybody at a standstill. but i keep looking and maybe I'll find something the Comptroller will let me bring home! My shop would love to have a new (old) toy to play with. On a different note i ordered a set of disk brakes that are suppose to be here this coming week. I still need to order the second axle set. Just trying to get all the parts and hope to have them installed by mid summer. Maybe by then we'll be able to get out some where. Randy do you have a CG up around you that you go to occasionally? I haven't been on the Forum in a week so Hope everybody is safe and feeling well!   Pat

The Old Sailor 

• 1 month later...

Just a follow up.  Project is 98% complete.  Waiting for a new A/C compressor from Rock Auto as the one on the engine isn't functional after sitting open since 2002.  Performance is amazing, exhaust note is pleasing and tires need more glue.  1st gear is totally unneeded - 2nd makes a better start gear.  Again, keep in mind I did all of this by myself - NO HELP!  .....and I am 74.

0SIWf3ul.jpg

IPpsX3Hl.jpg

Randy, Nancy and Oscar

58 minutes ago, Parrformance said:

This must be what they meant by "Your Off Your Rocker"👨‍🦳

:rolleyes:

I did not know you had been talking with my wife.  I prefer to think of it as something else I can check off of my "bucket list".  It was a few clicks down from owning and converting the Volvo HDT myself several years back.

Randy, Nancy and Oscar

2 hours ago, Parrformance said:

This must be what they meant by "Your Off Your Rocker"👨‍🦳

:rolleyes:

Agreed.  That has two meanings, the first being obvious, the second being, he got out of his rocking chair and did something most of us wish we had the skills to accomplish.

Bravo!!!!!

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN
Lots of old motorcycles, Moto Guzzi Griso and Spyder F3 currently in the front row
Young enough to play in the dirt as a retired farmer.
contact me at rickeieio1@comcast.net

• 2 months later...