Coronaviruses

Wrknrvr

18 hours ago, Mr. Camper said:

If anyone is dealing with a chronic illness it is advisable to always keep all of your vaccinations current, including the yearly flu shot.  I'm dealing with one along with 37,000,000 others and the stats on that is that many folks don't know they have it.  There are not early symptoms and a lot of folks get to the later stages without serious signs.  Getting the vaccinations, especially the yearly flu shot is advisable.  The flu shot is also available in doses for those over 60. 

We will be visiting the Grand Canyon in a few months and wherever we go we are always careful, and it has nothing to do with ethnicity, race, or anything but good health practices.  Always carry a bottle of antibacterial hand cleaner.  It's not 100% but it cuts down on the possibilities.

We will be visiting the South Rim in the middle of March. Can't wait.

2024 GMC 3500HD DRW Denali Diesel

2019 Keystone Avalanche 396BH

USN Retired

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

4 hours ago, ARGO said:

I think I've had Corona-virus

Oh wait- that was a hangover.....

*Corona*  HO- virus is preventable! -

Switch meds! - Vaccinate with Dos XX, 805, Lone Star, Michelob -  or others  for "prevention".

"Big Daddy" Roth (& Vern) would tell ya.... It's the year of the RAT. -  Don't get RF'd !!  - Stay away from Ornamental cuisine!

😉

Edited by Pappy Yokum

On 1/26/2020 at 10:42 AM, chirakawa said:

Actually, I don't think age has much to do with it.  There were two types of vaccine given, either by shot or oral, after Salk's 1953 discovery.  I don't know why some were given the shot and others the oral, but both were effective.

Actually, I got both! Some years apart though, got a shot(really it was from a powered gun/no needle) again during Army basic training.

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA ." And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you--ask what you can do for your country.  John F. Kennedy 20 Jan 1961

49 minutes ago, Ray,IN said:

Actually, I got both! Some years apart though, got a shot(really it was from a powered gun/no needle) again during Army basic training.

Man, that brings back memories.  I remember walking through a gauntlet of medics with those guns on both sides.  Seems like I got seven or eight shots in just a few minutes.  I could barely hold my arms up for the rest of that day.

Everybody wanna hear the truth, but everybody tell a lie.  Everybody wanna go to Heaven, but nobody want to die.  Albert King

i can not remember the last time i got the shot, been many a year.

but yes if your life has you around children, old people homes, ( the sealed buildings where they go to die),  hospitals,  many sealed office buildings.( look at the sickness/death rates on a cruse ship) it is a mandatory to get a shot. even knowing this shots are mostly a fake line of safety.

i live alone, work outside ( at night), not around many people so my chances of getting the flu are very low. just a cold. might one or two a year but they are nothing “ to sneeze” about 😇.

there are no free shots in the area i live in. have to drive a hr to a city to find such.

but then with all the drugs a real Dr says i need to keep me alive, ( 15-18 pills a day). in-hailers. and air pump while i sleep. blood ( and other tests). each year. one can say i am dooped up. and keeping the pill factory’s in the black ink.

just happy that kaiser only charges me partial cost for them.

Your physician doesn’t get a supply of flu vaccines for the year?  Are you sure your insurance doesn’t pay for it?  BTW, if you are getting a cold (also a virus) you are around people and could get the flu.  

Barb & Dave O'Keeffe
2002 Alpine 36 MDDS (Figment II), 2018 Ford C-Max HYBRID
Blog: http://www.barbanddave.net
SPK# 90761 FMCA #F337834

On 1/25/2020 at 3:59 PM, mptjelgin said:

This is not what it means at all.  What it means is that comparing a group of people who did get the flu shot to a group of people who did not, the group with the flu shot saw 29% less flu.  

This is a far cry from stating that 71% of those vaccinated developed the flu. 

Maybe this will be clearer:  Of those who got the flu last year, 71% had been vaccinated.  No matter how you look at it, the results of last year's vaccinations was poor.

46 minutes ago, JimK said:

Maybe this will be clearer:  Of those who got the flu last year, 71% had been vaccinated.  No matter how you look at it, the results of last year's vaccinations was poor.

Yup, the experts must make an EWAG.

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA ." And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you--ask what you can do for your country.  John F. Kennedy 20 Jan 1961

I thought the topic was the Corona virus not another pointless vaxxers versus non-vaxxers argument about the flu vaccine.

I came by to offer a tool, a dashboard that is keeping real time mapping of the spread of the coronavirus here: https://gisanddata.maps.arcgis.com/apps/opsdashboard/index.html#/bda7594740fd40299423467b48e9ecf6

This may be a new pandemic, we are overdue. Or it may fizzle out. Death toll is rising slowly but is increasing exponentially and there is no vaccine. If they develop one I'll sure give it a try.

RV/Derek
http://www.rvroadie.com Email on the bottom of my website page.
Retired AF 1971-1998

When you see a worthy man, endeavor to emulate him. When you see an unworthy man, look inside yourself. - Confucius

“Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.” ... Voltaire

On 1/25/2020 at 7:12 AM, Wrknrvr said:

I think this is something needs attention for rv travelers.  

Three years ago we visited the south rim of the Grand Canyon again. It has been 30 years since we last stoped there.

One thing we noticed was how many Asian people were there. So with the news of how this is spreading, I started to think about signs we had seen traveling around Las Vegas. There are advertisements about bus trips to see the Grand Canyon from Las Vegas. And other ways for travelers to see the Grand Canyon.

Last year we stoped in a campground in Flagstaff Az for two nights. We learned how to ride the bus around town to see things. Had a good time there. But there was a Class C rental next to us that had 6 to 8 Asian people get out of that rv.

Just thinking,   Vern

Threads have a tendency to go like other conversations go in real life, they follow the path that the participants choose.  But, since RV and Kirk are upset that this thread has gone off astray, I'll address the original post quoted above.

Asia is a large continent with 4.55 billion people.  China is a country with 1.38 billion people.  Since this coronavirus evidently started in China, perhaps we should limit our exposure to those who have recently been in China, which would include Chinese tourist wherever they may be or others, whatever ethnic group they belong to.

However, to lump all Asians into that group is both ignorant and bigoted.  It'd be like if a virus had begun in New Zealand, to say we should avoid all white people.

I think the reason that the subject turned to the flu is that the OP is constantly exposing himself to people who are carrying the flu virus and most likely stands a much greater risk of dying from the flu than from the coronavirus.  So, that discussion is certainly on topic, IMO. 

Flame suit deployed.  🙂

Everybody wanna hear the truth, but everybody tell a lie.  Everybody wanna go to Heaven, but nobody want to die.  Albert King

2 minutes ago, chirakawa said:

Threads have a tendency to go like other conversations go in real life, they follow the path that the participants choose.  But, since RV and Kirk are upset that this thread has gone off astray, I'll address the original post quoted above.

I am still trying to wrap my mind around RV getting upset about thread drift...  I expect to hear about Tesla, Elton Musk, moving to Colorado, etc. any minute now!!  😉

Mark & Teri

2021 Grand Designs Imagine 2500RL, 2019 Ford F-350

Mark & Teri's Travels

Now that you mention it, suppose that Elton Musk, the British half-brother of Elon Musk and one of his Tesla self-driving cars crashes on a Colorado highway and as I come upon the wreck and stop to help I discover that another group traveling in the opposite direction also got out to help and they were a group of tourists from China and were providing help to other victims.  Do I turn around and leave the area or stay and help?  This will keep me up wondering what to do.

Edited by Mr. Camper

4 hours ago, chirakawa said:

However, to lump all Asians into that group is both ignorant and bigoted.  It'd be like if a virus had begun in New Zealand, to say we should avoid all white people.

🙂

Bigfooted ??  - Even the Yeti gets a bad rap !!

Asians are OK - it's the Ornamentals that must be avoided. - Especially if you see 5 or more in an RV.

New Zealand?? - The people are OK too - but stop using "Ki-Wi" polish on your shoes & boots!

It might put a new hue on you.

BTW - If it's ... "Polish" ....some might say it's from Poland - so.....better avoid Poles!

Ditto on the 5 or more in an RV.

Edited by Pappy Yokum

15 hours ago, JimK said:

Still a completely inaccurate conclusion.  This would be akin to me claiming that 100% of those who got the flu last year had not been vaccinated. 

The only thing that can be accurately concluded from the 29% statistic is that when comparing like groups of people who did, and did not get the flu vaccine, those with the vaccine had a 29% lower infection rate. That's it. Anything else is simply misunderstanding or mis-stating the statistic. 

Mark & Teri

2021 Grand Designs Imagine 2500RL, 2019 Ford F-350

Mark & Teri's Travels

3 minutes ago, Pappy Yokum said:

Bigfooted ??  - Even the Yeti gets a bad rap !!

Asians are OK - it's the Ornamentals that must be avoided. - Especially if you see 5 or more in an RV.

New Zealand?? - The people are OK too - but stop using "Ki-Wi" polish on your shoes & boots!

It might put a new hue on you.

BTW - If it's ... "Polish" ....some might say it's from Poland - so.....better avoid Poles!

Ditto on the 5 or more in an RV.

You're right, I apologize.  I should have said "avoid all white people with polished shoes".

• Kirk W locked this topic