Coronaviruses

Wrknrvr

3 hours ago, chirakawa said:

When many of us here were children in the 1950's, it was common for entire families, neighborhoods, and communities to get the measles in one season

There was a family in the Kansas community where I grew up that had that experience with the result that their 9 or 10 month old baby did not survive. Each year there are several infants and elderly that succumb to influenza.

3 hours ago, chirakawa said:

I'd rather be one of the very few who have a reaction to a vaccine and get sick than one of the many who don't get vaccinated and get sick........

As a young child, I remember living in fear of Polio. 

The same for me. And I also do my best to avoid those who choose not to be vaccinated if I know. 

2 hours ago, rickeieio said:

Just to stir the pot........allergies have become much more prevalent since the advent of vaccinations.

I believe that qualifies as trolling, just trying to start something. You may want to read the forum guidelines again.

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 hour ago, Kirk W said:
3 hours ago, rickeieio said:

Just to stir the pot........allergies have become much more prevalent since the advent of vaccinations.

I believe that qualifies as trolling, just trying to start something. You may want to read the forum guidelines again.

If one takes the time to read on the topic rather than to simply repeat internet prattle,  you might learn that this question has been investigated and no evidence has been found to support the contention that vaccines contribute to allergies.  Just more internet garbage.

Do vaccines cause asthma or allergies?

Edited by docj

Sandie & Joel

2000 40' Beaver Patriot Thunder Princeton--425 HP/1550 ft-lbs CAT C-12
2014 Honda CR-V AWD EX-L with ReadyBrute tow bar/brake system
WiFiRanger Ambassador
Follow our adventures on Facebook at Weiss Travels

2 hours ago, mptjelgin said:

That certainly doesn't indicate cause and effect.   Allergies have also become much more prevalent since the advent of cellular phones, personal computers, the internet, electric cars, and Space-X.  Not to mention thousands of other inventions and practices. Doesn't mean that one has anything to do with the other.

They are diagnosed more.  Doesn’t mean more prevalent.  And often people died of respiratory problems, which would now be diagnosed as allergic reaction to antigens.   Diets were very limited, so exposure to different allergens didn’t occur.   

Barb & Dave O'Keeffe
2002 Alpine 36 MDDS (Figment II), 2018 Ford C-Max HYBRID
Blog: http://www.barbanddave.net
SPK# 90761 FMCA #F337834

16 minutes ago, Barbaraok said:

They are diagnosed more.  Doesn’t mean more prevalent.  And often people died of respiratory problems, which would now be diagnosed as allergic reaction to antigens.   Diets were very limited, so exposure to different allergens didn’t occur.   

No disagreement from me.  I was using the original terminology from Rickeieio to "format" my response. 

Mark & Teri

2021 Grand Designs Imagine 2500RL, 2019 Ford F-350

Mark & Teri's Travels

17 hours ago, Wrknrvr said:

I think this is something needs attention for rv travelers.  

Three years ago we visited the south rim of the Grand Canyon again. It has been 30 years since we last stoped there.

One thing we noticed was how many Asian people were there. So with the news of how this is spreading, I started to think about signs we had seen traveling around Las Vegas. There are advertisements about bus trips to see the Grand Canyon from Las Vegas. And other ways for travelers to see the Grand Canyon.

Last year we stoped in a campground in Flagstaff Az for two nights. We learned how to ride the bus around town to see things. Had a good time there. But there was a Class C rental next to us that had 6 to 8 Asian people get out of that rv.

Just thinking,   Vern

Yeah - stay away from them Asians, Vern!

The Ornamentals too!

Since your "thinking" generated lots of *flu* discussion - how about those of us old enough to remember who got *polio* and who did not -  (and maybe the reason/s why) - before we received our sugar cube "fix"?

I have a friend who wears leg braces due to having polio as a kid. One day she sat on the side of the swimming pool at her apartment complex to take off her braces to do her exercises. A kid came over with big eyes and said. "Lady, are you bionic?"

Linda Sand

Blog: http://sandcastle.sandsys.org/

Former Rigs: Liesure Travel van, Winnebago View 24H, Winnebago Journey 34Y, Sportsmobile Sprinter conversion van

22 hours ago, Barbaraok said:

The amount of myths that people have is astonishing.

•  You do not get the flu from the flu shot!  
  • depending upon the types of flu circulating in a given year (flu viruses are always mutating), they may be 60-90% effective.  It is a crap shoot each year to identify which strains to include in the mix.
  • if you have already been exposed when you get the vaccination, you might still come down with the flu , but it may be milder.
  • the less you are around children, the less you are likely to get flu or colds.  Kids are waking Petri dishes of all sorts of crud.
  • FLU CAN KILL

I have NO IDEA why you are quoting me in this reply.  NOWHERE in my post did I claim ANY of the things you wrote are true.

Perhaps you should RE-READ what I wrote.  Or, maybe you should stop quoting people when your reply has NOTHING to do with what they wrote.

8 hours ago, Pappy Yokum said:

Yeah - stay away from them Asians, Vern!

The Ornamentals too!

Since your "thinking" generated lots of *flu* discussion - how about those of us old enough to remember who got *polio* and who did not -  (and maybe the reason/s why) - before we received our sugar cube "fix"?

Some of us are so old we got a POLIO SHOT,  not the sugar cube.  All lined up in the school cafeteria; dreading that “huge” needle💉 we knew was coming, but no one was going to cry in front of the whole school!  

Barb & Dave O'Keeffe
SPK# 90761 FMCA #F337834

17 minutes ago, Barbaraok said:

Some of us are so old we got a POLIO SHOT,  not the sugar cube.  All lined up in the school cafeteria; dreading that “huge” needle💉 we knew was coming, but no one was going to cry in front of the whole school!  

Actually, I don't think age has much to do with it.  There were two types of vaccine given, either by shot or oral, after Salk's 1953 discovery.  I don't know why some were given the shot and others the oral, but both were effective.

Everybody wanna hear the truth, but everybody tell a lie.  Everybody wanna go to Heaven, but nobody want to die.  Albert King

1 hour ago, chirakawa said:

Actually, I don't think age has much to do with it.  There were two types of vaccine given, either by shot or oral, after Salk's 1953 discovery.  I don't know why some were given the shot and others the oral, but both were effective.

The Salk vaccine, administered by a shot, is a killed-virus variety.  The Sabin vaccine in the sugar cube is a live virus one and was approved several years later.  The Sabin vaccine was demonstrably more effective than the Salk, but my understanding is that it is not longer in use because it has always had a very slight possibility of causing the disease in the recipient. 

As long as the risk of getting polio from the "environment" was greater than the risk of getting the disease from the vaccine, the use of the Sabin vaccine was acceptable.  However, since polio had been judged to be largely eradicated (until recently) the decision was made by CDC and or WHO (World Health Organization) to discontinue its use.

Edited by docj

Sandie & Joel

2000 40' Beaver Patriot Thunder Princeton--425 HP/1550 ft-lbs CAT C-12
2014 Honda CR-V AWD EX-L with ReadyBrute tow bar/brake system
WiFiRanger Ambassador
Follow our adventures on Facebook at Weiss Travels

On 1/25/2020 at 9:17 AM, SWharton said:

So far, 8,200 people have died and 140,000 people have been hospitalized during the 2019-2020 flu season, according to preliminary estimates from the CDC.

And 50% of Americans don't get the flu shot.

Can't live life with your head in the sand.

This thread is about the coronavirus from Wuhan China, not flu. No vaccine has yet been produced to counteract this coronavirus yet.

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA ." And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you--ask what you can do for your country.  John F. Kennedy 20 Jan 1961

12 minutes ago, Ray,IN said:

This thread is about the coronavirus from Wuhan China, not flu. No vaccine has yet been produced to counteract this coronavirus yet.

If you're referring to the original post, then this thread is about Asians taking over the Grand Canyon.  I'm glad it got tastefully re-directed from that subject.

Everybody wanna hear the truth, but everybody tell a lie.  Everybody wanna go to Heaven, but nobody want to die.  Albert King

4 hours ago, Sehc said:

I will stand by my statement. "China has stepped up with the World Health Organization."  I don't know if that you-tuber has an agenda or is just foolish. He is wrong and exaggerating a few ignorant comments made on the street.

Right. He's only lived in China for three years. What would he know?

SKP #79313 / Full-Timing / 2001 National RV Sea View / 2008 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
www.rvSeniorMoments.com
DISH TV for RVs

If anyone is dealing with a chronic illness it is advisable to always keep all of your vaccinations current, including the yearly flu shot.  I'm dealing with one along with 37,000,000 others and the stats on that is that many folks don't know they have it.  There are not early symptoms and a lot of folks get to the later stages without serious signs.  Getting the vaccinations, especially the yearly flu shot is advisable.  The flu shot is also available in doses for those over 60. 

We will be visiting the Grand Canyon in a few months and wherever we go we are always careful, and it has nothing to do with ethnicity, race, or anything but good health practices.  Always carry a bottle of antibacterial hand cleaner.  It's not 100% but it cuts down on the possibilities.

50 minutes ago, Mr. Camper said:

If anyone is dealing with a chronic illness it is advisable to always keep all of your vaccinations current, including the yearly flu shot.  I'm dealing with one along with 37,000,000 others and the stats on that is that many folks don't know they have it.  There are not early symptoms and a lot of folks get to the later stages without serious signs.  Getting the vaccinations, especially the yearly flu shot is advisable.  The flu shot is also available in doses for those over 60. 

Just so you know . . . there currently isn't a vaccine for the current Coronavirus outbreak.

SKP #79313 / Full-Timing / 2001 National RV Sea View / 2008 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
www.rvSeniorMoments.com
DISH TV for RVs

24 minutes ago, Zulu said:

Just so you know . . . there currently isn't a vaccine for the current Coronavirus outbreak.

WOW, Zulu you are a master of the obvious.  I never said anything about the Coronavirus.  I was addressing the hysteria over vaccinations and the ill-advised commentary regarding flu and other vaccines.  Since there is no active moderator who keeps things on track and the comments were off base, I felt a voice of reason regarding the efficacy of getting the flu shot was in order.

5 hours ago, chirakawa said:

Yes it did!  Sabin vaccine came later.  

Barb & Dave O'Keeffe
SPK# 90761 FMCA #F337834

The Salk vaccine began to be used in 1954/55. The oral version from Dr. Sabin was not introduced to the public until the year 1960.  History of polio vaccination  I received the Salk vaccination (with a syringe) in school as soon as it was available and I believe a second one just prior to my graduation in 1960. I believe that I was given the sugar cube, Sabin version again by the Navy. 

None of this has anything to do with the question brought up by Vern in his first post. The question is, would a visit to an area that is frequented by visitors from Asia pose additional risk to the RV community of contracting the coronavirus? Based upon the current news, I personally doubt that it would, but I think that such things are decisions that each of us must make. The news from USA Today is that there are now 5 confirmed cases in the USA but only in China have there been any deaths from it and all confirmed cases thus far were contracted by visitors to that part of China. While I plan to stay current on any changes in the issue, I do not plan to make any changes in travel plans.

Edited by Kirk W

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

3 hours ago, Barbaraok said:

Yes it did!  Sabin vaccine came later.  

Okay, I'll bite.  What does age have to do with it?  I was old enough to get the shot, but got the sugar cube.

I want explain my thoughts on my situation on this subject. Now I think I may have very small chance of contact with this virus. But a better chance than most on this forum would. Most on the forum have there little daily routine that you do.  

I do Mobile RV repair. We are about 180 miles from the Grand Canyon staying in a RV park. And every day there are several RVs that leave and more come into the campground for at least  one night.

So last Thursday a customer called about getting his waste valves changed on a class C. Fairly simple job. So I had just seen on the news about the virus not long before that. Then I remembered our last visit to the Grand Canyon. So I asked him if he had just visited the Grand Canyon. He said no. Yesterday I had a new customer find me and we had a discussion on a problem that his rv has. Should I ask him where he was lately.

In a normal day I may talk to several new customers in person, face to face. Last night on the news they stated there is a new case of the virus in the Phoenix area. I also enjoy petting dogs that come by in the am. I am normally out side getting ready to go to work by 9 am. Last year one day I had over thirty dogs stop by for a visit. They all come with owners attached.

I now have the World Health Organization website on my favorites. Sorry it did not copy and paste.

I have had three different businesses in my life. My first business had me working on a island next to Three Mile Island nuclear plant when it had its problems. Sorta slim chance for anyone on here to have experienced that. Then with being in a service business you get to meet and see many things. So I have experienced two other national events that happened that I had seen things that needed to be reported. And I did call and report them. 

just a slim chance I may retire sooner than later,  Vern