Coronaviruses

Wrknrvr

I think this is something needs attention for rv travelers.  

Three years ago we visited the south rim of the Grand Canyon again. It has been 30 years since we last stoped there.

One thing we noticed was how many Asian people were there. So with the news of how this is spreading, I started to think about signs we had seen traveling around Las Vegas. There are advertisements about bus trips to see the Grand Canyon from Las Vegas. And other ways for travelers to see the Grand Canyon.

Last year we stoped in a campground in Flagstaff Az for two nights. We learned how to ride the bus around town to see things. Had a good time there. But there was a Class C rental next to us that had 6 to 8 Asian people get out of that rv.

Just thinking,   Vern

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

15 minutes ago, Big Rick said:

How many people get a flu shot and still get the flu?

How many do not get a flu shot and DON’T get the flu?

I would LOVE TO KNOW the answer to the first question.  Something tells me our gubment will never provide the info, even if they have it available.

There is no way to find the answer to the second question.  

Another question would be how many do not get the flu shot and DO get the flu.

After 28 yrs of getting the shot and NOT getting the flu, I have opted to NOT get the shot for the past 10 years.  And have NOT gotten the flu in those 10 yrs.  But I have started to consider getting it again.  

I’m not sure that the flu shot will even protect you from the Asian flu. The Asian flu is so new it probably wasn’t even considered when the current flu shot was made. 

2015 Itasca Ellipse 42QD

2017 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon Hard Rock Edition

2021 Harley Street Glide Special 

Fulltimer

It all depends if you are exposed to the infection, and it is one of the strains in this year's flu shot. If you are not exposed, will not get flu. Shot or not.  If exposed to a different strain. Then you could get flu even with immunization, But, It is noticed by the medical profession that with a flue shot, the symptoms are much less.

One thing is proven true; You can not get the flu from the immunization shot.

This time China stepped up and reported all the information they have to the UN WHO. Understand, this crisis is not flu. It is a different virus.

Edited by Sehc
spell

52 minutes ago, remoandiris said:

I would LOVE TO KNOW the answer to the first question.  Something tells me our gubment will never provide the info, even if they have it available.

There is no way to find the answer to the second question.  

Another question would be how many do not get the flu shot and DO get the flu.

After 28 yrs of getting the shot and NOT getting the flu, I have opted to NOT get the shot for the past 10 years.  And have NOT gotten the flu in those 10 yrs.  But I have started to consider getting it again.  

The amount of myths that people have is astonishing.

•  You do not get the flu from the flu shot!  
  • depending upon the types of flu circulating in a given year (flu viruses are always mutating), they may be 60-90% effective.  It is a crap shoot each year to identify which strains to include in the mix.
  • if you have already been exposed when you get the vaccination, you might still come down with the flu , but it may be milder.
  • the less you are around children, the less you are likely to get flu or colds.  Kids are waking Petri dishes of all sorts of crud.
  • FLU CAN KILL

Barb & Dave O'Keeffe
2002 Alpine 36 MDDS (Figment II), 2018 Ford C-Max HYBRID
Blog: http://www.barbanddave.net
SPK# 90761 FMCA #F337834

2 hours ago, SWharton said:

So far, 8,200 people have died and 140,000 people have been hospitalized during the 2019-2020 flu season, according to preliminary estimates from the CDC.

And 50% of Americans don't get the flu shot.

Can't live life with your head in the sand.

My father always refused to get the shot.  In the end, he caught the flu and passed away from complications brought on by the flu.  If he had got the shot, he would more than likely still be here.  He was 79.5 yrs old, stout as an ox. 

I always tell people, get the shot, don't be hard-headed.  Only takes a minute out of your life to live.

2002 Fifth Avenue RV (RIP) 2015 Ram 3500 Mega-cab DRW(38k miles), 6.7L Cummins Diesel, A668RFE, 3.73, 14,000 GVWR, 5,630 Payload, 27,300 GCWR, 18,460 Max Trailer Weight Rating(For Sale) , living in the frigid north, ND.

I got the flu many years ago when I was a fairly young man. Must admit, I did not take care of myself back then either. Thought I would die. Three days of that time I lost. But even to this day, I have never gotten a flu shot. I do take much better care of myself. If i get very sick, I tackle it early. If I need help, to clinic I go. Many times I believe flu shots give people a false since. They live like I did as a young man. As far as this virus, I watch this intently. It is serious.

Edited by GlennWest

2003 Teton Grand Freedom towed with 2006 Freightliner Century 120 across the beautiful USA welding pipe.https://photos.app.goo.gl/O32ZjgzSzgK7LAyt1

3 hours ago, Sehc said:

This time China stepped up and reported all the information they have to the UN WHO. Understand, this crisis is not flu. It is a different virus.

Not hardly. Listen to this Westerner living in China

SKP #79313 / Full-Timing / 2001 National RV Sea View / 2008 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
www.rvSeniorMoments.com
DISH TV for RVs

My wife drove a school bus for nearly 25 years, and worked at the high school for 16 of those, another 4 working in a day care.  Neither of us has ever gotten a flu shot, and between us, we may have gotten the flu 3-4 times in the past 40 years.  

I was raised on a farm, played in the barns and pitched manure and hay.  Ate plenty of dirt through the years.  Even dug tunnels under old out houses.  Build your immune system and let Mother Nature vaccinate you.  Don't use disinfectant to kill germs along with beneficial bacteria, then get vaccinations which may, or may not, be the right strains to keep you safe.

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN
Lots of old motorcycles, Moto Guzzi Griso and Spyder F3 currently in the front row
Young enough to play in the dirt as a retired farmer.
contact me at rickeieio1@comcast.net

17 minutes ago, rickeieio said:

Neither of us has ever gotten a flu shot, and between us, we may have gotten the flu 3-4 times in the past 40 years.  

I know some folks who never wear a seat belt, but have never been injured in an automobile wreck. Perhaps we should all stop wearing them? I also had a relative who smoked all of his life and yet lived just short of 100 years with almost no health problems.................

If you are interested in actual facts, rather than fiction, try this article: Key Facts About Seasonal Flu Vaccine

What Vern brought up was not the common flu/influenza but Coronaviruses. If you want information about that try reading this from Web MD. ...

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

3 hours ago, JimK said:

Effectiveness varies each year.  For 2019, the vaccine was 29% effective.  In other words, 71% of those vaccinated developed the flu.  Most years the effectiveness is much higher.

This is not what it means at all.  What it means is that comparing a group of people who did get the flu shot to a group of people who did not, the group with the flu shot saw 29% less flu.  

This is a far cry from stating that 71% of those vaccinated developed the flu. 

Mark & Teri

2021 Grand Designs Imagine 2500RL, 2019 Ford F-350

Mark & Teri's Travels

When many of us here were children in the 1950's, it was common for entire families, neighborhoods, and communities to get the measles in one season or two, mumps almost as commonplace.  Then schools started requiring vaccination for them and they were almost eradicated in the USA.  In the past 20 years or so, people have quit getting their kids vaccinated............and measles is making a comeback.

I'd rather be one of the very few who have a reaction to a vaccine and get sick than one of the many who don't get vaccinated and get sick.  Three hundred million people (300,000,000) died from smallpox in the 20th century alone.  Thanks to vaccination, that disease has been eradicated from Earth.

As a young child, I remember living in fear of Polio.  All the telethons and visuals of people being in iron lungs and crippled from that terrible disease.  I remember to this day how happy I was when they started serving up the sugar cubes with the vaccine in it.

How can anyone rationally argue against vaccines?  Their track record is phenomenal.

Everybody wanna hear the truth, but everybody tell a lie.  Everybody wanna go to Heaven, but nobody want to die.  Albert King

2 hours ago, rickeieio said:

My wife drove a school bus for nearly 25 years, and worked at the high school for 16 of those, another 4 working in a day care.  Neither of us has ever gotten a flu shot, and between us, we may have gotten the flu 3-4 times in the past 40 years.  

I was raised on a farm, played in the barns and pitched manure and hay.  Ate plenty of dirt through the years.  Even dug tunnels under old out houses.  Build your immune system and let Mother Nature vaccinate you.  Don't use disinfectant to kill germs along with beneficial bacteria, then get vaccinations which may, or may not, be the right strains to keep you safe.

Was dancing around a fire or animal sacrifices involved in any of this?

SKP #79313 / Full-Timing / 2001 National RV Sea View / 2008 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
www.rvSeniorMoments.com
DISH TV for RVs

Perhaps I wasn't clear.  I didn't say we shouldn't get a flu shot, or that they're not effective.  I said that my wife and I have had a life full fo contact with other peoples germs,yet have remained pretty healthy.  I suggested that perhaps many small doses of germs lets our immune systems work to our advantage.  I'm glad we live in an age where we have the ability to get flu shots, if we  choose to.  But it's also our right to decline.  

I have spent a life time working in one of the most dangerous occupations out there, agriculture.  I have never had a broken bone or other major injury.  I like to believe it's because I've taken steps to identify and avoid, or at least mitigate, risks.  Vaccinations are a tool we can use as such. Or not.

Just to stir the pot........allergies have become much more prevalent since the advent of vaccinations.

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN
Lots of old motorcycles, Moto Guzzi Griso and Spyder F3 currently in the front row
Young enough to play in the dirt as a retired farmer.
contact me at rickeieio1@comcast.net

At age ten I caught the Asian flu and was out of school for an entire month. For most of that time I have no memory because I was too sick to know I was sick. I've been told my mother and both brothers also became sick and recovered during that time so Dad had to take off work to care for us. I have no memory of that, either. What I do remember is being bedded down on the sofa bed which had been moved right next to the bathroom and being hot but made to stay under the covers anyway. And that my entire class wrote me get well letters when I was finally recovering. I never want to be that sick again. Flu vaccine? Yes, please.

Linda Sand

Blog: http://sandcastle.sandsys.org/

Former Rigs: Liesure Travel van, Winnebago View 24H, Winnebago Journey 34Y, Sportsmobile Sprinter conversion van

Howdy!

One of the biggest problems I saw before I retired was sick people coming to work, sending sick children to school and even workers bringing sick children to work because the the school had sent them home. I’m sure is still happening because my grandchildren sick every year. 

” Happy Trails “

Chiefneon

"Class of 2007 Fulltimer's"

Gary & karen

Smoochie & Michaela (fur babies)

2018 Chevorlet 3500 HD/LTZ 2L Custom Hauler

2014 Heartland Cyclone 4000

2016 Smart Car Prime

52 minutes ago, rickeieio said:

Just to stir the pot........allergies have become much more prevalent since the advent of vaccinations.

That certainly doesn't indicate cause and effect.   Allergies have also become much more prevalent since the advent of cellular phones, personal computers, the internet, electric cars, and Space-X.  Not to mention thousands of other inventions and practices. Doesn't mean that one has anything to do with the other.

Mark & Teri

2021 Grand Designs Imagine 2500RL, 2019 Ford F-350

Mark & Teri's Travels

Over the recent Xmas and New Year's holiday period both my wife and I caught some virus that knocked us on out for over two weeks each.  Its was an upper respiratory infection but we couldn't shake it.  Just before New Years we went to our doctor who put my wife on antibiotics.  She let me get better on my own, without help.

The flu was supposed to have been bad in TX over the same period  We didn't run fevers so we can't claim to have had it.  ButIMO it's possible that we had an "attenuated" version of the flu because we both had had flu shots back in September.  We'll never know for sure.

All I can say is that we're current on both pneumonia vaccines, both shingles ones, measles and whooping cough (ir was rampant in the PNW when we were there).  We'd rather be safe than sorry.

Sandie & Joel

2000 40' Beaver Patriot Thunder Princeton--425 HP/1550 ft-lbs CAT C-12
2014 Honda CR-V AWD EX-L with ReadyBrute tow bar/brake system
WiFiRanger Ambassador
Follow our adventures on Facebook at Weiss Travels