Locking fuel caps

Shallow Draft

I am looking for locking fuel caps for a 2004 Volvo. Does anyone have a source and a part number?

2004 Volvo 630, Freedomline, Rear view camera, Max Brake, Jackalopee, 38 ft 4 horse LQ Platinum, 40ft Jayco Talon toy hauler

Http:/www.flickr.com/photos/shallow_draft/

Https://flic.kr/p/fqhyAN

You are not lost if you don't care where you are!!

I also read (here, I think) at least one person uses a large pair of channel lock pliers to tighten the cap.  I think this would be enough in most cases, but maybe not if the truck was stolen or left unattended at a truck stop.  Just thinking "out loud" don't take my word for it. 😁

Kevin and June

2013 Volvo VNL 730    D13 Eco-Torque @ 425  Ratio 2.47 

2014 DRV 36TKSB3 

Signature.jpegmKgUJbbl.jpg

14 minutes ago, Sculptor said:

I also read (here, I think) at least one person uses a large pair of channel lock pliers to tighten the cap.  I think this would be enough in most cases, but maybe not if the truck was stolen or left unattended at a truck stop.  Just thinking "out loud" don't take my word for it. 😁

Nothing will stop the determined thief. Someone took a chisel and hammer to my locked cap to get in and remove my fuel. Apparently, no-one noticed or cared. Still, I imagine the locked cap turns away the casual opportunist, since that's only happened once since I've had locked caps. Jay

I knew a guy who had a fleet of trucks.  Was having issues with fuel theft.  Thieves were cutting air lines to use for siphon hoses.  He bought a bunch of cheap garden hoses, cut them into 5-6 foot pieces, and draped a piece over each truck tank.  Losses stopped.  Thieves must have figured he was watching........

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN
Lots of old motorcycles, Moto Guzzi Griso and Spyder F3 currently in the front row
Young enough to play in the dirt as a retired farmer.
contact me at rickeieio1@comcast.net

Hey Big5er I just ordered one per your recommendation $77 well spent.  Just good peace of mind and I have to leave the truck in remote locations for 5 to 7 hours.  Don't want anything taken out and don't want anything put into my tank.

• Volvo 670 / 2006
  • 10-Speed 
  • ATV's & Sleds
  • 2017 Host Mammoth Slide-In Camper on Deck
  • Jackalopee
  • Build article published here

Glad to help. I have locking caps on my truck. The thieves we see around here are using small 12v pumps and the filler neck. They are skipping the trucks with the anti siphon necks and locking caps. These caps wont keep out the determined thieves but it will deter the guys looking for an easy score.  Nothing is theft "proof" but these are theft "resistant", I guess, and like you said they are a little "piece of mind".

MY PEOPLE SKILLS ARE JUST FINE.
~It's my tolerance to idiots that needs work.~

2005 Volvo 780 VED12 465hp / Freedomline transmission
singled mid position / Bed by Larry Herrin
2018 customed Mobile Suites 40KSSB3 

2014 smart Fortwo

14 minutes ago, Big5er said:

Glad to help. I have locking caps on my truck. The thieves we see around here are using small 12v pumps and the filler neck. They are skipping the trucks with the anti siphon necks and locking caps. These caps wont keep out the determined thieves but it will deter the guys looking for an easy score.  Nothing is theft "proof" but these are theft "resistant", I guess, and like you said they are a little "piece of mind".

Ok you guys got me thinking now.  I had that $$$ earmarked for more Dr. Pepper and now I have to save up again.   😉  I checked Amazon and they are about the same price, FYI.

Kevin and June

2013 Volvo VNL 730    D13 Eco-Torque @ 425  Ratio 2.47 

2014 DRV 36TKSB3 

Signature.jpegmKgUJbbl.jpg

Howdy!

I put locking fuel caps on my truck. They not only help to prevent theft but down right meanness. I had a RV friend tell me about fuel tanks  tanks he had worked on at his shop that someone had put in rags, cups, paper etc ... this is just down right meanness I don’t want to have to deal with.

” Happy Trails “

Chiefneon

"Class of 2007 Fulltimer's"

Gary & karen

Smoochie & Michaela (fur babies)

2018 Chevorlet 3500 HD/LTZ 2L Custom Hauler

2014 Heartland Cyclone 4000

2016 Smart Car Prime

8 hours ago, hone eagle said:

ya know if they want it they will just punch a hole in the bottom of the tank.

There is a bung on the bottom so 1/2 inch ratchet works but messy 

2004 Volvo 630, Freedomline, Rear view camera, Max Brake, Jackalopee, 38 ft 4 horse LQ Platinum, 40ft Jayco Talon toy hauler

Http:/www.flickr.com/photos/shallow_draft/

Https://flic.kr/p/fqhyAN

You are not lost if you don't care where you are!!

Along the lines of Phil's pump bandits.     There was a group using a van with a good size pump pulling into closed gas stations and dipping the storage tanks.      The cops estimated they stole several thousand gallons of fuel a WEEK

As far as fuel bandits, the best story I heard was an old guy Bob Spooner talking about finding a guy steeling fuel from his truck while he was in it.      The guy ran to his truck locked himself in and, hid in the sleeper.    Spooner was so frustrated he shot the crooks fuel tank.    He said he waited around for a while and no cops showed up so he left.     A bit down the road a trooper pulled Spooner over, asked him if he was involved in an altercation at a truck stop.    Spooner replied yes and told the trooper what happened.     The trooper was in contact with another at the truck stop, he had the guy arrested, the cop got state involved for IFTA refunds and on and on.    

It takes a special kind of dirt bag to steel from somebody right under their nose.

Steve  

2005 Peterbilt 387-112 Baby Cat 9 speed U-shift

1996/2016 remod Teton Royal Atlanta

1996 Kentucky 48 single drop stacker garage project

catdiesellogo.jpg.e96e571c41096ef39b447f78b9c2027c.jpg Pulls like a train, sounds like a plane....faster than a Cheetah sniffin cocaine.   

12 hours ago, rickeieio said:

Cordless drill = new hole.  Locks just keep the honest people out.

Yeah but for those of us with full fairings on a Volvo, the crook has to shimmy his fat ass under there....with something big enough to hold that much diesel. Both are hard to do. No sense draining it out of a punched hole if you cant contain it.

2014 smart Fortwo

9 hours ago, noteven said:

So let’s say a guy has the real fuel tank up in the drom box, and 8 month old gasohol in the “fuel tanks”.... 

I’ve been to a few farms where the gas storage tank was labeled diesel, and the diesel tank was labeled gasoline...

Edited by Moresmoke

2 hours ago, Moresmoke said:

I’ve been to a few farms where the gas storage tank was labeled diesel, and the diesel tank was labeled gasoline...

I put my diesel tank in a cement block building with a camoflauged access door.  No electricity to that building either.  Minor inconvenience to run an extension cord when I needed fuel.

As to the comment about fairings around the tank,  a thief could easily drill a 3/4" hole next to the fill port and drop in a suction line.

A sticker next to the fill port saying "SMILE" might do more than a locking cap......😁 

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN
Lots of old motorcycles, Moto Guzzi Griso and Spyder F3 currently in the front row
Young enough to play in the dirt as a retired farmer.
contact me at rickeieio1@comcast.net

Like it's been said many times, nothing will keep a determined thief from getting anything they want. Locking fuel caps will prevent the casual thief and the guy that wants to dump stuff in the tank.  A determined thief could use a winch, and a wrench and steal the whole tank and the fuel. But it's kinda like having a fire extinguisher, it might put out your fire, and it might not. But I'd rather have one and make the attempt than just say "a big enough fire is gonna burn it to the ground anyway".

Edited by Big5er

2014 smart Fortwo

• 7 months later...
On 11/25/2019 at 12:00 AM, rdickinson said:

I had a locking fuel cap on my old IH 4700 but then the truck was on a side to side slant the low tank filled up and leaked diesel.

Do the ones for the Volvo do t he same.  I have no crossfeed shut off.

Most trucks don’t have the hose underneath connecting the fuel tanks at the low point any more.

They are supposed to equalize with the fuel return system. 

Any truck with the connecting hose and a vented fuel cap could overflow. 

Check for the hose underneath.

98 379 with 12.7 DD

LG Dodge w/5.9 CTD

Chrome habit I’m trying to kick.