Locking fuel caps

Shallow Draft

I believe the cross-over acts as a siphon, equalizing the tanks to level, rather than equal, so if you're parked w/ one tank lower, it can flow whether the truck is running or not.

That said, I ain't a truck expert, but have owned a few.  I know all three of our Macks may overflow when recently filled and parked on the edge of a field.

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN
Lots of old motorcycles, Moto Guzzi Griso and Spyder F3 currently in the front row
Young enough to play in the dirt as a retired farmer.
contact me at rickeieio1@comcast.net

On 11/28/2019 at 10:14 AM, rdickinson said:

Does the fuel return system work when the truck is parked and not running?

All trucks have a crossover connecting the tanks. Some go in the top, some cross over on the bottom.  If you just fill one tank it will equalize in a hour or so just sitting still. If you park on a side hill overnight one tank will be fuller than the other when you come back in the morning.

So, Those of you that have a generator hooked to one tank you are actually draining both tanks. Because as the level in one tank drops the fuel from the other crosses over to keep both tanks at the same level. You  can shut the crossover off and only run one tank if you want to but you have to know if your truck returns to both tanks or just one. This would be a handy thing to do if you are running a generator. Shut off the crossover so you only pull from one tank. Then turn it back on when you leave.

It is important to keep your tank vents clean. Otherwise you may end up with one tank empty and one still full. This has happened on our farm trucks. If the driver is not paying attention. They come home at night and cant figure out why one tank is empty and the other at 3/4. Clean the vent.  All our trucks have 2 fuel gauges.  One for each tank. My HDT only has one, I imagine most of you only have one.

Sorry that went a little off topic.

Farmer, Trucker, Equipment operator, Mechanic

Quando omni flunkus moritati-When all else fails, play dead
I'm a man, but I can change, if I have to, I guess.

Thanks, you were not off topic.  I've researched it and what you say is more than likely the case. The truck is stored not far from the trailer but on an incline side to side, hence the problem.  I'll keep the current caps on but when travelling will switch over to the locked caps.

I'm thinking there may be some kind of electrical solenoid switch that would open when the ignition is activated or the battery switch turned on.

I'll see what happens on the next trip.

Thanks again.

I don’t remember what year but the US EPA mandated “dual draw dual return” without valves to stop someone accidentally setting return to a tank that was not drawing and causing the engine to fill the tank and spill fuel on multiple fuel tanks. You could plumb ball valves in to stop fuel siphoning to the low side when parked and make sure you don’t return to the non draw tank. KW used a simple system with no keyed switches.

One way to supply a generator could be with a Webasto or Espar fuel pickup tube they are short so the unit cannot run the tank out of fuel.

Edited by noteven

"Are we there yet?" asked no motorcycle rider, ever.