RV SKIRT FOR COLD WEATHER LIVING

ANG0225

When we've come across rigs that were "buttoned-up" for staying over in cold winter areas, they tended to have some sort of foam like Kirk refers to placed around the bottom perimeter of the trailer and sealed up. 

I've generally seen foam boards that are thicker than his link (which is 3/4"), up to 2" is not uncommon. It is stronger and offers more insulation. And, as you would imagine, more expensive...

2" Thick Foam Board

Mark & Teri

2021 Grand Designs Imagine 2500RL, 2019 Ford F-350

Mark & Teri's Travels

"Hay bales around RV" - - 

There have been several cautions on this but I'll add another. The first is that if you do this try to find straw as it will serve better and cost less than hay. As mentioned, make sure that your RV park doesn't object as many do so and realize that bales will shrink and settle with weather so the fit gets poor and they add to the fire hazard for your RV. Some type of custom built skirt from one of the materials suggested will serve much better and be less offensive to management and neighbors and you will have less risk.

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

Mice love to hide out in the straw for the winter.  I would not use it for this reason, plus the fire hazard.  Your best bet is the foil backed foam board.

Ken

Amateur radio operator, 2023 Cougar 22MLS, 2022 F150 Lariat 4x4 Off Road, Sport trim <br />Travel with 1 miniature schnauzer, 1 standard schnauzer and one African Gray parrot

Also, hay or straw is flammable, so I would not want to surround my living space with something that could catch fire and burn. 

I also think you will get a lot of cold air in through windows, so you might want to get that plastic film that you shrink on for the winter and toss in the spring. 

Last winter, some of us used the foiled foam board and others used Reflectix.  At first, I envied the with the foam board, but he was constantly tweaking it to keep it from blowing "in", and finally toward the end of winter, he had it blocked and vented which seemed to be working.  We just made a "skirt" of the Reflectix which worked well enough for our temps in central KS.  Too tight and the moisture in a humid climate will build up under the RV, not a good thing.  I have always heard that hay/straw would attract insects and rodents.

Cathy

We are wintering in Colorado and have skirted with 1" foam board insulation held in place with 3" aluminum ducting tape (NOT "duct" tape). to avoid "blowing in" we dug a small trench about 3 inches deep and placed the board in that trench piling the pea gravel against it. To aid in tape adhesion we cleaned surfaces with alcohol just before applying the tape. The skirting has been up for about a month and is holding up well. I made hinged doors made of the foam with the tape doubled as a hinge to be able to access dump valves. For undercarriage heat I use two 150W incandescent bulbs connected through a thermostatically controlled electric plug (on at 35 degrees off at 45.)

I've wintered in very cold places due to job.  I've learned rather then prep etc boards and what not. Just trade up and get a rig designed for the job. Easier, happier, less hassle.  

Minneapolis, Tulsa,  Amarillo to name a few. Wind and cold temps are known and common.  Don't skirt just use heated water hose and furnaces. 

22 hours ago, Consolenut said:

I've wintered in very cold places due to job.  I've learned rather then prep etc boards and what not. Just trade up and get a rig designed for the job. Easier, happier, less hassle.  

Minneapolis, Tulsa,  Amarillo to name a few. Wind and cold temps are known and common.  Don't skirt just use heated water hose and furnaces. 

I don't bother with a heated hose.  I just keep my fresh tank full and top it off when needed as I use it.  Rarely do we have below freezing temps here other than at night and I don't want to have to worry about the campgrounds faucet freezing.  I always lay my regular water hose out straight on the ground on a slight slope so it can be used even if I ever do need to fill the tank when the hose would otherwise be frozen solid.  My pressure regulator is just put in the basement between fills.  Works for me - 8 years full time.

Ed

KM4STL

2006 GMC 2500HD CCSB 4x4 Duramax/Allison, Titan 52 gallon fuel tank, Prodigy Controller, B&W Companion Hitch
2010 Jayco Designer 35RLTS, RV Flex Armor Roof

2 hours ago, edatlanta said:

I don't bother with a heated hose.  I just keep my fresh tank full and top it off when needed as I use it.  Rarely do we have below freezing temps here other than at night and I don't want to have to worry about the campgrounds faucet freezing.  I always lay my regular water hose out straight on the ground on a slight slope so it can be used even if I ever do need to fill the tank when the hose would otherwise be frozen solid.  My pressure regulator is just put in the basement between fills.  Works for me - 8 years full time.

I guess a guy has to have something to do .

I happen to like doing a 5 minute job of slipping foam insulation , along with heat tape inside , over the hose . That heat tape gets a wrap or two around the CG spigot and then plugged in .

Done and never a worry , until it's time top spend another 5 minutes undoing what was just done . ;)

Goes around , comes around .

Archived