AIR LEAKS FIXED, NEW PART NUMBERS FOR REPAIR

NeverEasy

Last fall, my Volvo air would take more than a week (after replacing a lot of components) to drop below 90 p.s.i.. Sweet!  Then when we went to the ECR, it would drop to zero overnight.  When I got home I broke out the Whisper and started looking.  There was one on the ¼ inch line going to the air governor.  The dash parking brake valve was bad and the hand valve black line (comes from the dash valve) was leaking.  I found the earlier posts with the list of repair parts for the air fittings.  Off to the Volvo dealer for parts.  I bought a new dash valve but the air fitting repair parts had to be ordered.  There was a mention of part number updates in the earlier post but the list I found was incomplete and could no longer be replied to, so I will list them here.  Only the o-ring numbers changed.

1/4 O-ring 85146177

1/4 brass collet 85108476

3/8 O-ring 85146178

3/8 brass collet 85108477

1/2 O-ring 85146179

1/2 brass collet 85108475

I built some tools to make releasing the air lines from the brass collets much easier.  For the 3/8 inch lines, I drilled a 25/64 hole in a strip of 1/8 inch aluminum.  For the ¼ inch lines I drilled a 17/64 inch hole.  I later found out that all ¼ inch lines are not ¼ inch.  I had to enlarge the hole but it worked on the smaller lines, too.  Then I cut out a slot to let the tool slide over the lines but left enough of the hole so that the tool snapped over the line and stayed there.  On some, I put a 90 degree bend to make them “pull” tools. Picture attached, I hope.

jYMGEatl.jpg "border=0

m3zZPvb.pngClick For Full-Size Image.

I read RandyA’s post on replacing the dash valve.  His is a Gen 2, mine is a Gen 1 so there was really no comparison.  I removed a lot of dash parts and got to the dash valve.  Fairly straight forward.  New dash valve ports were significantly different from the old one but all were labeled with their service, so everything went back together with no problems.   I plugged the black line going to the hand valve because I did not have the fitting repair parts, yet.  I fired up the truck, brought up the air pressure and shut it down.  The Whisper tool screamed!  The air leaks were coming from way down in the dash where there were three tees to add ¼ inch lines that run up to the dash.  They are buried in the wire run going across the firewall.  Ok, more low dash parts removed.   I had to make a longer 3/8 line tool as the lines were way back into the wire run.  I had to pull the Tees off in the blind but they came off easy (too easy).  Fortunately, I had three new tees of the same type so I replaced them.  Another handy tool was a large set of curved forceps that I wound rubber tape on the jaws to make a place for the air line to fit into so as not to scrap up the air line.  I ran that down the air line in the wire run and grabbed the line and held onto it to push the new fitting on.  Two days now and it is still over 100 p.s.i. 

It looks like a lot of the o-rings have hardened on my '01 truck.  I ordered another batch of o-rings from Class 8 Truck Parts and will start replacing them.  I will compare prices when I get the ones from the Volvo dealer.  Class 8 Truck Parts found the updated part numbers and had to add them to their website so I could order them. 

Chet & Deb
'01 Volvo 660 w/ Smart
'19 Forest River Columbus 320RS 5th wheel
2022 Chev 2500HD Long Bed
Retired CWO4, USN and federal service
Electronics Tech/Network Engineer/Welder/Machinist

Helped Toydraggin replace his pass through O rings at the National rally. All were old and brittle. Good preventive maintenance. 

2006 Volvo 780 "Hoss" Volvo D12, 465hp, 1650 ft/lbs tq., ultrashift

Bed Build by "JW Morgan's Custom Welding"

2017 DRV 39DBRS3

2013 Smart Passion Coupe "Itty Bitty"

"Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first!"

2 hours ago, rickeieio said:

The o-rings, or you and Paul?;)

All three 😂

2017 DRV 39DBRS3

"Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first!"

When I stocked up on O-rings and collets I found the local dealer (who is usually decently priced) was astronomically over priced. I ordered them online a whole lot cheaper. 

MY PEOPLE SKILLS ARE JUST FINE.
~It's my tolerance to idiots that needs work.~

2005 Volvo 780 VED12 465hp / Freedomline transmission
singled mid position / Bed by Larry Herrin
2018 customed Mobile Suites 40KSSB3 

2014 smart Fortwo

You can also buy the orings in bulk.

BwLCyVsl.jpg

There are 2 different sizes for 1/4 line. Most take a 10mm x 6mm x 2mm.

Some (cab airbags) take #010.

3/8 are #110.

1/2 are #112.

I have been buying the red silicone orings off Amazon, about $10 for a bag of 100.

I've got my truck to where it will hold air for a couple days, when I started, it would leak down in 15 minutes!

The buy from Amazon is good news.  I just ordered some. 

Something I forgot to mention on my struggle to get under the dash.  I could not get under there very well so I stacked a spare tire and a big aluminum pan on top of a 55 gallon drum.  That gave me the 49 inches needed to be level with the floor of the truck.  Then a piece of 4 ft by 16 inch x 3/4 inch plywood was put on top of that stack and onto the floor of the truck.  Made a great place to lay on and reach under the dash. 

Jim, so far my pass-through is still ok but I will rebuild it when I get some parts.

Volvo air pressure is holding at 100 p.s.i. (third day).

Chet & Deb
'01 Volvo 660 w/ Smart

X2 on buying from Amazon!  Don’t like to pay dealer markup if I don’t need  to!  Been using these amazon o rings for a while. 

These new Volvo part numbers  for the o rings have been in effect since late summer 2016. They changed suppliers.  O rings changed color from a greenish tint to the present red color  

The resource guide never got updated with the new part #’s

Here are a set of tools for removing the airlines if you can’t make your own. 

http://www.lislecorp.com/divisions/products/?product=548

.....they are available at various retailers. 

10 minutes ago, DesertMiner said:

Here are a set of tools for removing the airlines if you can’t make your own. 

http://www.lislecorp.com/divisions/products/?product=548

.....they are available at various retailers. 

Also available on Amazon

HERE

A cheap set of picks is handy for getting the O-rings out also

MY PEOPLE SKILLS ARE JUST FINE.
~It's my tolerance to idiots that needs work.~

2005 Volvo 780 VED12 465hp / Freedomline transmission
singled mid position / Bed by Larry Herrin
2018 customed Mobile Suites 40KSSB3 

2014 smart Fortwo

10 hours ago, NeverEasy said:

The buy from Amazon is good news.  I just ordered some. 

Might you be willing to share the part #'s of the o rings you ordered from Amazon?

Thanks,

Michael

2006 Volvo VNL 780, " Arvey"  Volvo D12, 465hp, 1650 ft/lbs tq., ultrashift

2003 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon

2010 Forest River Coachman Freedom Express 280RLS

Jackalopee

Chet & Deb
'01 Volvo 660 w/ Smart

All of the PTC (Push To Connect) type fittings.......Most Volvos use this type of fitting on all of the different airlines throughout the truck.

Looks something like this......The o-ring is under the removable brass collet shown here in the photo on the left side. You can use a needle nose plier to pull out the brass collet and then use a "pick" that was mentioned earlier to remove the o-ring for replacement. The resource guide has a pretty good "how to" write up that can walk you through the steps needed to remove the o-ring.

VDbTWETl.jpg

1 hour ago, Stan Wright said:

Thanks.  I've been looking for some type of "Air Fittings for Dummies" tutorial but haven't had much luck.  Is the collet the part you push in to release the air line?

Yes.....first release air pressure from the system.  Compress the collet towards the fitting and while holding collet depressed pull on the airline to release it from the PTC.

Here is a copy of the write up for repair of PTC's....

To replace the parts is pretty straight forward.
Please release all the air pressure in your system before attempting this repair!
1. Depress collar on fitting and remove line.
2. Remove brass collet. I use a pair of needle nose pliers.
3. Remove O-ring. Sometimes a bit of a challenge. I use a set of " dental picks" one straight and one with a 90" bend at the end. Use the picks to remove the O-ring. Most times it will be dry rotted and come about in prices. Make sure to remove all of the pieces. Insert new O-ring and be careful not to damage it.
4. Insert collet. Most times I will use the old one if it is still in usable shape. Most times the o-ring is the cause of the leak.
5. Trim off the end of the line before inserting into the "rebuilt" fitting. I like to do this when ever I have enough slack in the line. Sometimes it's not possible. When inserting the line into the fitting press the line in until it "bottoms" out in the fitting before you pull back on it to lock it in.
6. Pressure up your system and check for leaks. Sometimes a little wiggle on the line after it is pressurized will help it seat.
After this less costly repair attempt you may still have to repair/replace your pass-thru.
Good luck!

On Edit: These instructions were written with the "Newbie" in mind.... Lots of folks have already been down this path. Not trying to get anyone upset. This is how I do this type of repair. No need to buy the "gold plated" Volvo brass fittings if I can just repair it.

In most cases the "fitting" is fine it's just a worn out O-ring.

http://www.rvnetwork.com/topic/119437-air-leak/

Just gotta say its a Volvo thing and not for KW's.  The plastic swivel ptc's on KW's use double lip seals and not orings.  The few brass ptc's between the frame and axles (mostly dryer and pushers) use a buena-n oring and not silicone.  They don't sell them as service parts but I'm sure a guy could probably translate the sizes above into a part number of a bag of Buena ones that would work.  Should probably replace the dust and grime cap that goes on them too.

Checking to see if someone wanted to split an Amazon order for o-rings? I really don't need 100 of each o-ring.

2007 Volvo 780 Ultrashift Trailersaver Hitch
2017 Momentum 397th
3 Yamaha Banshees
2 Honda 400EX's
Polaris Outlaw 50

Polaris Outlaw 110 EFi                                                                                                                                                                                                                          2018 Polaris RZR S 1000 Stealth Black
2019 Polaris RZR S 1000 Titanium Matte Metal

2015 Polaris RZR S 900 VooDoo Blue

https://i.imgur.com/e0ajU8Pl.jpg

Still bugging me though......  I'm no o-ring aficionado, but straight silicone just doesn't seem to be the right material to last in a truck that vibrates down the road and drips oil and fuel all over the place.  Sure they didn't have a translation error when they were changed in 2016 and should have gone to fluorosilicone - the blue o-rings - instead?  

Take apart a new Parker 62PMT (the push connect I think y'all are working on) and they are now blue inside.....

17 hours ago, Scrap said:

Just gotta say its a Volvo thing and not for KW's.  The plastic swivel ptc's on KW's use double lip seals and not orings.  The few brass ptc's between the frame and axles (mostly dryer and pushers) use a buena-n oring and not silicone.  They don't sell them as service parts but I'm sure a guy could probably translate the sizes above into a part number of a bag of Buena ones that would work.  Should probably replace the dust and grime cap that goes on them too.

Scrap, did you mean Buna N O Rings instead of Buena?  Can’t find Buena.

2017 DRV 39DBRS3

Archived