AIR LEAKS FIXED, NEW PART NUMBERS FOR REPAIR

NeverEasy

7 hours ago, Scrap said:

Still bugging me though......  I'm no o-ring aficionado, but straight silicone just doesn't seem to be the right material to last in a truck that vibrates down the road and drips oil and fuel all over the place.  Sure they didn't have a translation error when they were changed in 2016 and should have gone to fluorosilicone - the blue o-rings - instead?  

Take apart a new Parker 62PMT (the push connect I think y'all are working on) and they are now blue inside.....

The o-rings I bought from Volvo were blue.  They had bags full of all the sizes.  Bismarck RDO Volvo

Alie & Jim + 8 paws

2017 DRV Memphis 

BART- 1998 Volvo 610

Lil'ole 6cyl Cummins

Yea, Buna-N (nitrile) Suite.  But I imagine that is the hard black chunky thing that you are replacing.....  I don't know the answer but I'd hate to see you have to do it all over again in another year!

I went and got a few orings at Volvo right off to fix the worst leaks.  They told me they had changed from the blue to the red sillicone.  In their kit, the smaller sizes were all red, some of the larger ones they had both red and blue.

Some of the blue ones I took out resembled old paper valve packing.

So, is the consensus that we should not use silicone for these repairs or we should use silicone O-rings for these leaks?

2006 Volvo VNL 780, " Arvey"  Volvo D12, 465hp, 1650 ft/lbs tq., ultrashift

2003 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon

2010 Forest River Coachman Freedom Express 280RLS

Jackalopee

So, got all the o-rings, except the 5/8 size for the foot control valve for the brakes.

Fixed 8 or 10 leaks, and the truck is holding air so much better.  

I did run into a problem while trying to fix a pressure protection valve located on the inside of the frame behind the batteries.  This valve seems to have been fixed with a coating of epoxy, that made getting it apart to service the collets and o-rings nearly impossible. I will order a new one on Monday, and replace it.  There  is a pressure sensor on one of the ports, it is not plugged into a connector, but does close the port.

Should I try to remove it and install it on the new protection valve.? What other options are there for plugging a 1/4 inch quick connect?

The part # for the protection valve is, Meritor Wabco #S934 899 071 08 .

Thanks,

Michael

Jackalopee

Use a short piece of 1/4 inch air line.  Put another PTC  to male 1/4 inch NPT on the open end and cap the 1/4 inch male NPT.

Chet & Deb
'01 Volvo 660 w/ Smart
'19 Forest River Columbus 320RS 5th wheel
2022 Chev 2500HD Long Bed
Retired CWO4, USN and federal service
Electronics Tech/Network Engineer/Welder/Machinist

30 minutes ago, DesertMiner said:

Try  brake safety valve Volvo part # 20815953....take pictures and mark the lines wen you replace it. A challenging place to work getting the lines off and removing the unit for replacement.

Thanks DesertMiner, thats the culprit. Thankfully I am 5'8" and 150 lbs. Still need to be a contortionist!  Got it out and rebuilt the collets and the o-rings, but still leaking.  I also noticed the body of the plastic valve is leaking. So will be ordering a new one and swap it out.  Even with this leaking, the truck was holding air a great deal better.  I hope to get two-three days of 100 psi or better, instead of two -three hours. 

Thanks NeverEasy  that option sounds easy,... ironically:)

Jackalopee

5/8 O-Rings for the Volvo Foot Valve.

Sterling Seal ORSIL208x100 Number-208 Standard Silicone O-Ring has Excellent Resistance to Oxygen, Ozone and Sunlight, Vinyl Methyl Silicone, 70 Durometer Hardness, 5/8" ID, 7/8" OD (Pack of 100)

Jackalopee

On 4/30/2018 at 8:41 PM, Moresmoke said:

You can also buy the orings in bulk.

BwLCyVsl.jpg

There are 2 different sizes for 1/4 line. Most take a 10mm x 6mm x 2mm.

Some (cab airbags) take #010.

3/8 are #110.

1/2 are #112.

I have been buying the red silicone orings off Amazon, about $10 for a bag of 100.

I've got my truck to where it will hold air for a couple days, when I started, it would leak down in 15 minutes!

MoreSmoke, what model and year Volvo do you drive?

Jackalopee

7 minutes ago, Moresmoke said:

I have a 2012 VNM 630.

BhUoM2yl.jpg

On 4/30/2018 at 8:41 PM, Moresmoke said:

You can also buy the orings in bulk.

BwLCyVsl.jpg

There are 2 different sizes for 1/4 line. Most take a 10mm x 6mm x 2mm.

Some (cab airbags) take #010.

3/8 are #110.

1/2 are #112.

I have been buying the red silicone orings off Amazon, about $10 for a bag of 100.

I've got my truck to where it will hold air for a couple days, when I started, it would leak down in 15 minutes!

Fantastic setup, your fabrication skills are remarkable.

Thanks for the help with the O-ring part #'s.

So looking forward to the truck staying aired up overnight, sick of waiting for the low air buzzer to quit going off, so I can get rolling again while traveling.

You haven't filled out your signature, and I didn't  put your pictures of the truck with your name, my bad.

Michael

Jackalopee

On 4/30/2018 at 10:20 PM, NeverEasy said:

The buy from Amazon is good news.  I just ordered some. 

Something I forgot to mention on my struggle to get under the dash.  I could not get under there very well so I stacked a spare tire and a big aluminum pan on top of a 55 gallon drum.  That gave me the 49 inches needed to be level with the floor of the truck.  Then a piece of 4 ft by 16 inch x 3/4 inch plywood was put on top of that stack and onto the floor of the truck.  Made a great place to lay on and reach under the dash. 

Jim, so far my pass-through is still ok but I will rebuild it when I get some parts.

Volvo air pressure is holding at 100 p.s.i. (third day).

NeverEasy. If it is holding 100psi after 3 days LEAVE IT ALONE. You are good until the next leak. I would be ecstatic if mine had any pressure after 3 days.

Brad 

Brad and Jacolyn
Tucker the Wonder dog and Brynn the Norfolk Terrier
2009 Smart "Joy"
2004 VNL630 "Vonda the Volvo"
2008 Hitch Hiker 35 CK Champagne Edition
VED12 465 HP, Freedomline, 3.73 ratio, WB 218"
Fulltiming and loving it.

Choosing O-Rings Based on Material Makeup

O-rings are common seals used in many manufacturing industries. Because of their cost, simple production, easy installation and pressure resistance, they have found their way into a lot of common products, such as automobiles and engines. The aerospace industry has also put o-rings to good use in many types of rockets.

O-rings function in so many applications because there is a diverse scope of material used in their fabrication. Many are made from rubber, or, more specifically, elastic polymers, or elastomers. These polymers are cured, often through vulcanization, resulting in a strong, durable and more elastic rubber. Different materials have different properties, though, with some being more elastic and others being more tear resistant, in addition to other qualities.

Because of the range of materials available, it can be difficult to determine which is appropriate for a project. While designers and contractors can help make a decision, there are many efficiencies and deficiencies that can guide or influence that decision as well.

Nitrile (Buna-N)

Temperature range: Between -65 degrees Fahrenheit and 300 degrees Fahrenheit.

Suited for: General purpose seals, such as petroleum oils, water and some hydraulic fluids. Buna-N is also resistant against tears and abrasive treatment.

Deficiencies: Buna-N can have problems with automotive brake fluid, ketones, phosphate ester hydraulic fluids, and nitro and halogenated hydrocarbons. While it is ozone and weather resistant, this resistance is not infallible but can be supported through compounding.

Applications: Nitrile functions well in applications that have limited temperature and resistance requirements.

Ethylene Propylene Rubber (EPR)

Suited for: Skydrol, a hydraulic fluid, has a noxious smell and can irritate skin, and its corrosive properties can be damaging to equipment. EPR o-rings work well with Skydrol and other hydraulic fluids, as well as steam, water, silicone oils, brake fluids and alcohols.

Deficiencies: Similar to nitrile, EPR is not perfect for a wide-range of applications due to wear and tear issues.

Applications: The aerospace industry uses EPR o-rings in hydraulic pumps.

Fluorocarbon (Viton)

Suited for: Fluorocarbon is an all around material that can handle a number of applications, especially diverse sealing jobs that involve movement. It is also suited for petroleum oils, silicone fluids and gases, acids and some halogenated hydrocarbons, like carbon tetrachloride.

Deficiencies: Fluorocarbon is not recommended for Skydrol, amines, esters and ethers with low molecular weight and hot hydrofluoric acids.

Applications: Fluorocarbon o-rings are very versatile, and features in many different automotive, appliance and chemical processing industries.

Neoprene

Suited for: Neoprene can seal refrigerants in refrigeration and air conditioner units, as well as petroleum oils and mild acid resistance silicate ester lubricants.

Deficiencies: Finished neoprene products are often compounded with lead-based agents, which can be hazardous to human health. Additionally, some people are allergic to basic neoprene. In a functional sense, it is not very resistant to petroleum lubricants and oxygen.

Applications: Neoprene functions well in refrigeration units of air conditioning systems.

Polyurethane

Temperature range: Between -65 degrees Fahrenheit and 212 degrees Fahrenheit.

Suited for: Polyurethane features abrasion and extrusion resistance, as well as general toughness.

Deficiencies: Applications requiring good compression and heat resistance would not be suitable for polyurethane.

Applications: Polyurethane o-rings are often used for hydraulic fittings, cylinders and valves, pneumatic tools, and firearms.

Silicone

Temperature range: Between -120 degrees Fahrenheit and 450 degrees Fahrenheit, although silicone o-rings have been shown to withstand -175 degrees Fahrenheit during short periods of exposure.

Deficiencies: Silicone exhibits poor tear resistance, abrasion and tensile strength. Their poor abrasion resistance means they are better suited for static applications than dynamic. They do perform well with water, steam or petroleum fluids, either.

Applications: High temperature fuel injection ports can use silicone o-rings.

Temperature range: Between -100 degrees Fahrenheit and 500 degrees Fahrenheit.

Suited for: Pure PTFE o-rings are very rigid and hard to apply, but PTFE encapsulated o-rings handle surface wear well, in addition to exhibiting corrosion and abrasion resistance, non-permeability, chemical inertness and low absorption.

Deficiencies: Like silicone, PTFE is rigid and is better suited to static applications.

Applications: Examples of PTFE o-ring use includes automotive steering devices and paint guns.

Jackalopee

So, I think that this thread could be stickied as it has several part numbers and techniques for running down leaks, and rebuilding the push to connect fittings.  

On another note, I scored 30 miscellaneous used/leaking PTC fittings from a diesel mechanic that he had replaced with new.  I brought them home and rebuilt them with new o-rings.  

I had a thought, I was going to use a 1/4 PTC fitting with 3/8 NPT threads and a 3/8 PTC with 3/8 NPT threads to make  quick connect fittings to air up a section of the truck isolated from the rest.  I believe I currently have a leak in the rear bags, I anticipate being able to disconnect at the line leading to the back air bags and air up just that section, then isolate even more with termination fittings.

Sound like too much effort, or a good plan?

Jackalopee

You are supposed to use $150 FastTest fittings!  I use the SMC industrial fittings (KQ2) for diagnosis/mockup work.  They go on and off easy and they don't score the tube and force you to cut it back.  Work good.

That o-ring list shows the downfall of silicone my gut was worried about.  I don't know the answer but I guess time will see.  A guy's got to be able to trust his OE parts though so whatever mixture they used I'm sure will be fine.

The Napa kits are a good find.  Think they work for the Parker fittings too?  Or only on Dana Weatherheads?

I have found another size o -ring in some of my fittings, they are 108's     1/4 x 7/16 x 3/32.  

Jackalopee

http://shop.hoseandfittings.com/catalog/Fitting/Brass/DOT/DOT_Push_To_Connect.html?_session_id=58e94b060530f1eff5d2f41bef8eb0bd

Fittings and tubing, they have a lot of  the DOT approved fittings and tubing, seem to have every color tubing but orange.

Jackalopee

Archived