Sleepers for actual sleeping!

TheLongWayHome

Potential HDT newbie question of the day!

For those of you with a sleeper HDT, with actual sleeping area(s) and have a DH/DW/DOH, how often you you actually use the HDT for sleeping 2 people (regularly, monthly, rarely, never, just use it for ...)? For those that have modified the sleeper area - more forward facing seats (kids/grand-kids), dining area only, second office, storage, quiet zone, etc. do you still have a MH designation or  what was you general plan for sleeper space usage? Just trying to determine the usefulness/usage of a true sleeper for two people versus just using the space as a "workstation/dining or something else area". Knowing what you know now, what would you do different? Coming from newbies with zero experience.

Yes, we will do a lot of looking at Hutch. Watch for the strange man looking in and under HDTs, RVs, ...  Promise not to peek in windows at night. :o

We've had a 2001 Volvo 770 since 2009.  The top bunk has become "attic" storage for extra bedding and a few other soft goods.  If I had to, I could still sleep up there   The bottom bunk frequently changes to a work station and back to a bunk depending on what we need while rolling.  If we both need to catch a nap on a long road trip, we'll pull over and retreat to the rig where we can run the generator-powered a/c or battery powered fans to keep cool.  If we are stuck in the shop for a few hours, I can do computer work or sleep in the truck while waiting for the work to be completed which is often preferable to the service lounge.

Very seldom do we both sleep in the truck at the same time, though we do from time to time if it's cool enough.  The blackout shades can make noon seem like midnight.  There are also times we can't leave our stairs out, like in narrow spaces at truck stops, so it's safer all around to sleep in the truck.  (For some stupid reason DRV did not make a way to close our stairs from inside the rig.)

What would I change?  Nothing.  We had to live in the truck and hotels for several months last year while we searched for a new fiver.  All the storage inside the truck was set up for daily life on the road, and the drom carried what we would immediately need as soon as we found a new rig.  We purchased the 770 set up the way it is in case we had to move into it temporarily due to trailer repairs or other emergencies and it did the job as planned when we needed it.

One thing we didn't plan on was emergency surgery.  We had to move less than 2 weeks later and being able to ride flat in the bunk made the trip bearable.

If we had a way to keep the truck cool without actually running the engine, we'd probably use it more for cat naps on long runs, but with the generator already on the fiver - to say nothing of the king-size bed for dear hubs' comfort - it's not worth investing in another for the truck.

If we were traveling with children, I might have a different opinion... like seats and seat belts for all, but it's just two of us and our Kitty and I wouldn't give up the great convenience of the workspace/bunk options.

The guys at Hutch will give you tons of info.  You'll have a great time.

We have a Freightliner Century Midroof. It has only a single bunk and no work station.

We will regularly take naps in it together while traveling, it is tight but we can both sleep in the bed. We have also used it has an extra bedroom when we family with us and we cannot all fit in the trailer.

We added seat belts and I made up a fold up seat back, that when needing to be used as a bed, folds up against the rear wall. When being used as a seat, we can sit two adults comfortably and have a grandkid in a car seat next to them and have space for a second car seat on the opposite side.

For a work station, our truck has a slide out drawer that has a place to use as a desk and our daughter in law has used it for their computer while traveling down the road while sitting in my home made seats on the bed.

We test drove a Volvo with a workstation because we thought that was what we wanted but the people in the back were not comfortable sitting sideways going down the road for even a short trip.

Dave

2005 Freightliner Century S/T, Singled, Air ride ET Jr. hitch
2019 46'+ Dune Sport Man Cave custom 5th wheel toy hauler
Owner of the 1978 Custom Van "Star Dreamer" which might be seen at a local car show near you!

Check out http://www.hhrvresource.com/

for much more info on HDT's.

We use the sleeper regularly when travelling. We do most of our travelling during the shoulder seasons, as we still work. Two bodies can often keep the temps within comfort limits. The upper bunk is used for storage, and we use a net to keep things in place. The lower bunk has a cut-out for use as seating, and an RV type table, but we've only used it infrequently. We've also used the truck as a small class C motorhome, with a Coleman stove on the deck. The only thing missing is a shower.

I have been wrong before, I'll probably be wrong again. 

2000 Kenworth T 2000 w/N-14 and 10 speed Gen1 Autoshift, deck built by Star Fabrication
2006 smart fourtwo cdi cabriolet
2007 32.5' Fleetwood Quantum

Please e-mail us here.

There is no "general answer" to this question. It is TOTALLY dependent on your personal needs/desires. Both uses of the rear condo are common. 

Personally, we use it both ways. As office space, AND as living quarters. While it is typically used by me for trips, etc, we have also used it together. Just not as much as I do alone. 

Jack & Danielle Mayer #60376 Lifetime Member
Living on the road since 2000

PLEASE no PM's. Email me. jackdanmayer AT gmail
2016 DRV Houston 44' 5er (we still have it)
2022 New Horizons 43' 5er
2016 Itasca 27N 28' motorhome 
2019 Volvo 860, D13 455/1850, 236" wb, I-Shift, battery-based APU
No truck at the moment - we use one of our demo units
2016 smart Passion, piggyback on the truck
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
See our website for info on New Horizons 5th wheels, HDTs as tow vehicles, communications on the road, and use of solar power
www.jackdanmayer.com
Principal in RVH Lifestyles. RVH-Lifestyles.com

I spent the night in ours (my wife says I was bonding with the truck) when I brought it home from Canada. Since then my wife has taken naps while traveling. However, we have 3 dogs that travel up there and they sleep on it a lot. The third dog made it rather tight quarters for the wifes naps.

Brad

Brad and Jacolyn
Tucker the Wonder dog and Brynn the Norfolk Terrier
2009 Smart "Joy"
2004 VNL630 "Vonda the Volvo"
2008 Hitch Hiker 35 CK Champagne Edition
VED12 465 HP, Freedomline, 3.73 ratio, WB 218"
Fulltiming and loving it.

Both my bunks are sleep-able (is that a word?).  I use the bottom for overnights en-route when I eat and can use the facilities not in the trailer ie. truck stop.  The truck is the preferred place for the kids when they visit if they want real privacy, otherwise it's the air mattress in the living room.  BTW, I have the ParkSmart battery APU in the tractor as well as fridge & microwave so it's very livable. 

"There are No Experts, Do the Math!"

2014 Freightliner Cascadia DD16 600hp  1850ft-lb  18spd  3.31  260"wb
SpaceCraft S-470
SKP #131740

When traveling we do "long stretches" (we like to get there). We swap drivers and have done 18 hours days (900 miles). 10-12 hours is our norm. That means serious "napping" for the person not driving and we have the trust in each other (after 42 years of RVing) that we don't need to observe each other or "help with navigation". Volvo bunks are absolutely outstanding for that kind of driving. Also when we stop for the night, I get the top bunk and she gets the lower bunk and it's ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ's time, we don't bother with the fifth. Same thing during the day, everything we need is in the cab, food, snacks, drinks, books computers, the RV stays locked. On those long days we do more frequent stops (beyond nature calls) to stretch legs and get the circulation going and usually stop for supper to get a longer break and a cooked meal. Bigger HDT cabs are indeed full fledged Motorhomes or you can make them like that.

4 hours ago, Brad & Jacolyn said:

However, we have 3 dogs that travel up there and they sleep on it a lot. The third dog made it rather tight quarters for the wifes naps.

Brad

Sounds like Jacolyn needs to stay out of the dogs bed if you ask me. 

Since I am not a true full-timer I must admit to using the bed infrequently, BUT it does come in handy. On a trip through Colorado a few years back, I broke a hydraulic hose that operated the living room slide  in the 5er. The next morning I was at a dealer in Loveland who diagnosed the issue and said they would have it fixed ASAP....and that would be "tomorrow". They offered a parking space and an electrical cord but I took the truck back to the RV park, and got a space near the restrooms. We plugged in the truck, took the smart to a restaurant, came back and watched a little TV. I set a small fan in a lower bunk side window and she and I climbed into the upper bunk and slept fairly well, all snuggled up. The 5 dogs, (hers and mine) slept in the front seats and the lower bunk.

With the seven of us in the truck I needed nothing more than the fan to bring in some fresh air, even with the temps into the low 50's over night. I had been prepared to swap the fan for the heater but never felt it necessary.

IMGP0035.JPG

DSC02285.JPG

Like others I can not generate A/C without running the engine. I can operate a decent size fan or the small ceramic heater, either through my inverter or when plugged into shore power. If it had been hot enough to need the A/C I probably would have spent the night in a truck stop. 

MY PEOPLE SKILLS ARE JUST FINE.
~It's my tolerance to idiots that needs work.~

2005 Volvo 780 VED12 465hp / Freedomline transmission
singled mid position / Bed by Larry Herrin
2018 customed Mobile Suites 40KSSB3 

2014 smart Fortwo

23 minutes ago, Big5er said:

DSC02285.JPG

Winner of the cute photo of the day!  I think I know who really decides who get to sleep where in the HDT now!! Although the top bunk is probably a challenge. ;)

Love all the creative uses by everyone - as Jack say's lots of personal variations. But this gives us lots of ideas to think about. On a steep learning curve! Thanks everyone for sharing.

TLWH    We have a 98 610 and have been towing a 5er for over 6 years and have never spent the night in it. Now that we are fully retired we are out more for longer.So if our trips take us to where we would need to use the truck as a MH we could and would. Maybe we'll get to use it as a MH. The choice is always there.    Pat

The Old Sailor

We overnight in ours while traveling.  On our recent trip to pick up our new home, we spent 1 night in the truck, 1 night in a hotel.  I do all the driving but am comfortable in the seat for 12-14 hours with the appropriate stops.  We can both fit somewhat comfortably on the lower.  

I also use the sleeper as a mobile office when I need.  A couple of pillows in a rear corner, remote for the radio, and computer and it's comfortable.

Alie & Jim + 8 paws

2017 DRV Memphis 

BART- 1998 Volvo 610

Lil'ole 6cyl Cummins

We use both of our bunks when traveling. I take the top bunk and the DW gets the bottom bunk while the mutts get the floor. It's often easier to sleep in the truck than in the trailer if we are in a truck stop or rest area and with the APU, we have heat and air as well as power for the microwave, TV and fridge when parked without running the big engine.

We did change out the mattress on the bottom bunk for a more comfortable one from SleepDog for the wife but I use the one that came with the truck on the top bunk. Other than not having a bathroom onboard, it is very comfortable for us on the road.

2017 Kenworth T680
2015 DRV 38RSSA Elite Suites
2016 Smart Prime

My wife and I have slept in our Volvo 780 bunks, albeit on different nights.

The previous trucker had added a window shaker AC to the upper bunk.  The AC unit can be powered by the pure sine wave inverter or for longer stops the on board gas powered Champion generator.  

The other common thread I notice in these replies is a lack of bathroom in their trucks. My wife and I added a simple porta potty that slides into the floor level cabinet behind the drivers seat. I highly recommend these units, I purchased ours from Amazon for about $40 bucks.  https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004SFKJIQ/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

We used it on our first 2900 mile two week camping trip, it worked flawlessly and saved a stop or two and was the preferred potty, while traveling.  Much cleaner than the rest area's restrooms.

Our bottom bunk is solely devoted to the two pups that travel with us, and a place for the wife to stretch out between them to pass the time as we travel. 

The wife did get up the courage to drive Arvey for the first time yesterday, so perhaps on the next trip I will get a chance to stretch out and pet the dogs while we travel.

2006 Volvo VNL 780, " Arvey"  Volvo D12, 465hp, 1650 ft/lbs tq., ultrashift

2003 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon

2010 Forest River Coachman Freedom Express 280RLS

Jackalopee

I sleep in my truck on the semi annual trips from South to North and North to South. Most often at interstate rest areas. On occasion I will stop at a Campground. With those stops I will sleep in my bed. 

]

Rod

White 2000/2010Volvo VNL 770 with 7' Drom box with opposing doors,  JOST slider hitch. 600 HP Cummins Signature 18 Speed three pedal auto shift.

1999 Isuzu VehiCross retired to a sticks and bricks garage. Brought out of storage the summer of 2022

2022 Jeep Wrangler Sport S Two door hard top.

2007 Honda GL 1800

2013 Space Craft Mfg S420 Custom built Toyhauler

The Gold Volvo is still running and being emptied in July. 

I "rented" out my 730's sleeper for the week of Airventure (Oshkosh airshow) to a friend.  And he's still my friend.  He said it was very comfortable.  He didn't use the upper bunk, just the work station bed.  He did repeat several times how quiet it was, compared to his old slide in truck camper.

Av8r3400
2012 Volvo VNL 730 D13 iShift & 2021 Grand Design Momentum 397TH

TEq81qV.jpg

I'd rather die trying to live - Than live trying not to die.   -Leonard Perry

The Dog & Cats were always on the bunk while traveling.  We would also use them often if a break was needed during the travel day.  They are great for a quick power nap in the middle of the day if needed.

Back before we had a generator (the reason we finally got one) we got rerouted that day due to a wildfire.  The reroute added quite a few hours to our day and we did not make our planned destination for the evening.  We ended up in a WalMart parking lot.  It was too warm to sleep in the trailer without A/C.  Slept in the truck overnight and by morning it was like we were sleeping inside a walk in freezer.  Much better than the alternative.

2017 Entegra Anthem 44A

SOLD - 2004 Volvo 780. 465hp and 10sp Auto Shift (from 2010~2017)

SOLD - 2009 Montana 3400RL

We have used our sleeper for week long camping trips when we haven't taken the toy hauler. The last time, we spent a week in the mountains of Colorado, and just stayed at a campground with hookups. The camp ground was small, and would not have been able to fit our 53' camper. We hauled the rigs on the GN trailer, and dropped it in the overflow parking. We have shore power hookups on the truck, so we had the ability to run a heater, fan, tv, etc. We just cooked on the deck, and used the CG facilities.

We replaced the lower mattress with a nice pillowtop, and even though it is a little tight with the 2 of us, it is very comfortable. My son sleeps in the upper bunk. We also replaced that mattress with a memory foam version. I have slept on it a few times, and it is not too bad.

Chris & Tonya

'99 Freightliner FLD120, '01 Wabash Toyhauler (32' garage, 20' LQ)

27b.jpg.d0423223324307d7b8525a90ffe5746e.jpg

15 hours ago, maveric said:

We have used our sleeper for week long camping trips when we haven't taken the toy hauler. The last time, we spent a week in the mountains of Colorado, and just stayed at a campground with hookups. The camp ground was small, and would not have been able to fit our 53' camper. We hauled the rigs on the GN trailer, and dropped it in the overflow parking. We have shore power hookups on the truck, so we had the ability to run a heater, fan, tv, etc. We just cooked on the deck, and used the CG facilities.

We replaced the lower mattress with a nice pillowtop, and even though it is a little tight with the 2 of us, it is very comfortable. My son sleeps in the upper bunk. We also replaced that mattress with a memory foam version. I have slept on it a few times, and it is not too bad.

Where did you purchase your mattress replacement's? Have seen some at "Truck Stops" but have yet to actually try one. Did put an Air Mattress(Cheap) on the top bunk, better, but not Great.

White 2000/2010Volvo VNL 770 with 7' Drom box with opposing doors,  JOST slider hitch. 600 HP Cummins Signature 18 Speed three pedal auto shift.

1999 Isuzu VehiCross retired to a sticks and bricks garage. Brought out of storage the summer of 2022

2022 Jeep Wrangler Sport S Two door hard top.

2007 Honda GL 1800

2013 Space Craft Mfg S420 Custom built Toyhauler

The Gold Volvo is still running and being emptied in July. 

We bought our mattress from airdream.net

Go to the parts section and look at the air chambers and inflator.  I ordered a twin chamber ($99) and the inflator ($55).  I use it on the top bunk.  The lite weight makes it easy to lift the bunk out of the way (Volvo 770).  I had one of the "truck stop" mattresses that were thick and heavy.  Made it very difficult to lift and secure the bunk.  The airdream mattress chamber can be adjusted for comfort (like a Select Comfort).  I bought a mattress pad and foam topper at Costco to go over the airchamber .  Very comfortable.  

• 1 month later...

I appreciate your heads up on this mattress option, I sleep on a sleep number bed at home and in our camper, but our HDT only had the original lower bunk pads and a simple trucker mattress on top bunk with a topper.

I was comfortable enough on the firm bunk cushions but the mattress with topper was awful.

So I took your advice and went to airdream.net, I noticed for another thirty bucks I could order the same mattress with a built in inflator and wired Hand Control/Wand. $185 shipped to the door!!

Can't beat that, thanks for the heads up, Flying Finn.

2006 Volvo VNL 780, " Arvey"  Volvo D12, 465hp, 1650 ft/lbs tq., ultrashift

2003 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon

2010 Forest River Coachman Freedom Express 280RLS

Jackalopee

We use the sleeper for sleeping a only a few times a year. The DW and I take small trips without the trailer. She sleeps on the bottom bunk, I sleep on the top bunk. as the bottom bunk on out 660 isn't big enough for us both.

2016 Road Warrior 420

2001 Volvo VNL 660

Alaska Based.

Archived