5th Wheel Hitch choice

DIESELSUBMARINER

19 hours ago, hone eagle said:

someone correct me if Iam wrong but are not all commercial hitchs are duel jaws?At least my binkely  is ,and they are comercial.Henry gave a talk on the duel jaw "when the block is in place its not opening"

LOL,

Don't count on it, look me up at a rally some time.

2017 Kenworth T680
2015 DRV 38RSSA Elite Suites
2016 Smart Prime

I believe my old Teton would be able to handle a solid (non Air Ride) hitch without any issues, The Teton is designed to be pulled with heavy trucks and in the mid to late 90's there were not too many air hitch providers out there.

However I do agree, a air hitch is a smoother ride and provides equipment protection.

But at this time, I am only doing short trips as we are 90% stationary. the main trips would probably due to hurricane evacuation.. therefore I believe for now a solid hitch is sufficient for my use until I decide one day to invest the extra funds for an air ride.

now my main question still would be, as to where I can find a single jaw hitch?

thanks again for all the good information

47 minutes ago, DIESELSUBMARINER said:

I believe my old Teton would be able to handle a solid (non Air Ride) hitch without any issues, The Teton is designed to be pulled with heavy trucks and in the mid to late 90's there were not too many air hitch providers out there.  <<<snip>>>

If you don't feel you need hitch suspension, and prefer a single jaw, why not use a commercial hitch?

47 minutes ago, DIESELSUBMARINER said:

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN
Lots of old motorcycles, Moto Guzzi Griso and Spyder F3 currently in the front row
Young enough to play in the dirt as a retired farmer.
contact me at rickeieio1@comcast.net

21 hours ago, DIESELSUBMARINER said:

I believe my old Teton would be able to handle a solid (non Air Ride) hitch without any issues, The Teton is designed to be pulled with heavy trucks and in the mid to late 90's there were not too many air hitch providers out there.

However I do agree, a air hitch is a smoother ride and provides equipment protection.

But at this time, I am only doing short trips as we are 90% stationary. the main trips would probably due to hurricane evacuation.. therefore I believe for now a solid hitch is sufficient for my use until I decide one day to invest the extra funds for an air ride.

thanks again for all the good information

dieselsubmariner, I'm in another part of Florida and away from my computer. I should be back later today and will post pictures I have. Those are from the truck I purchased with the fifth I bought. The weight and the pinweight and the quality of that fifth (Carriage Royals International) were very much like your Teton. It was also pulled very little (only to shows). The truck had a small commercial head (I believe it was a Holland), it articulated forward and back but not side to side. When you see the pictures you wil not belive how much force there was in this setup, the head had gouges in the steel around the king pin area 3/8 deep.

I removed the underbelly on this fifth (for another reason) which allowed me to examine the pinbox area and the frame around it. Everything was fine, but this was a superbly built fifth (Tetons probably matched that). But I also owned another (regular) fifth before the Royals and there were cracks and broken welds all over in that area when I pulled the underbelly on that one. 

Just saying, you probably be OK on a quality rig like Teton, I was with the Royals, but I pulled it like that only for few months (the gouges were done by the previous owner) and switched to HDT and desigend the ET for that rig as soon as I could.

34 minutes ago, phoenix2013 said:

dieselsubmariner, I'm in another part of Florida and away from my computer. I should be back later today and will post pictures I have. Those are from the truck I purchased with the fifth I bought. The weight and the pinweight and the quality of that fifth (Carriage Royals International) were very much like your Teton. It was also pulled very little (only to shows). The truck had a small commercial head (I believe it was a Holland), it articulated forward and back but not side to side. When you see the pictures you wil not belive how much force there was in this setup, the head had gouges in the steel around the king pin area 3/8 deep.

I removed the underbelly on this fifth (for another reason) which allowed me to examine the pinbox area and the frame around it. Everything was fine, but this was a superbly built fifth (Tetons probably matched that). But I also owned another (regular) fifth before the Royals and there were cracks and broken welds all over in that area when I pulled the underbelly on that one. 

Just saying, you probably be OK on a quality rig like Teton, I was with the Royals, but I pulled it like that only for few months (the gouges were done by the previous owner) and switched to HDT and desigend the ET for that rig as soon as I could.

I totally agree, that a 4-way movement is necessary to eliminate damage on the fifth wheel, due to the fact, they are not quiet as strong as a commercial trailer.Even though, Tetons are built like a tank.

As for Air ride : yes, I love air ride, but unless I find a used one, rated high enough, at this point I go with a non air-ride hitch, since we will be more than likely only pulling, when we have to evacuate for a hurricane this year.

I do however still like to find a 4-way articulating , non airbag hitch, with single jaw.. :-) 

As promised pictures of my fifths.

Hitch%20reference%201_zps4rrhaczp.jpg

Original puller for my Royals International, 40 feet long, 22,500 lb GVW, 6,500 lb pin weight. Commercial hitch, twin jaw, articulation forward and back only..

Close up of the head.

Hitch%20reference%202_zpsfe2m4wky.jpg

Those divots on each side were 3/8" deep caused by pin trying to tilt when truck would be off kilter.

Cracks in the frame around the pin box sleeve on a cheap crap of a fifth I owned before Royals. I pulled it with hard hitch behind a pickup, then with a hard hitch behind an MDT.

Hitch%20reference%205_zpsj7njnn2m.jpg

Hitch%20reference%206_zps5oi33d8l.jpg

Cracks in the front of the fifth frame, same fifth left and right corner.

Hitch%20reference%204_zpsy9yswyjg.jpg

Hitch%20reference%203_zpsbzynwymw.jpg

"Another Contributor" showing his pin box attach frame.

Hitch%20reference%207_zpsjnrdn7xf.jpg 

The quality of those welds is VERY poor.  A sad testimonial to what is being produced.  Purpose built products like Henry's, esp when PRIDE is part of the manufacturing process, takes the whole thing to the opposite side of the spectrum.  So, the issue really is:  what is excellent quality worth to each of us?  Are we willing to pay for a superior product and know that it will perform and leave us with peace of mind, or leave us with wonderment as to if and when it will incur a failure?

For me, I would rather save my pennies (yes, I am one of those guys that will pick them up in the parking stall) and spend them on a better product, esp when I know that the company that made it took pride in its manufacturing. 

Marcel

On ‎4‎/‎3‎/‎2017 at 0:06 PM, DIESELSUBMARINER said:

I would be careful about this statement.  There weren't many air hitch providers out there, because there weren't many HDTs pulling those Tetons.  Even today, builders (like DRV) are building these trailers to be pulled by large pickup trucks, where the suspension on the pickup would absorb the road shock.  Even the builders of today don't pull their own show vehicles with HDTs.

I had a 2005 Teton that had a pin weight of 7K and the Trailer Saver hitch handled it very well.  I, know it sounds like a too heavy pin weight, but the 1st owner had it built with the axles moved more to the rear to offset the weight of a Harley on the back of the trailer.

The designer from Teton of the Big and Tall basement had the structure beefed up to handle that new designed basement, not for pulling with HDTs.  It probably helped, but the our big trucks will put a lot of stress on a hard fixed hitch, that gets translated back to the trailer.

Rocky & Sheri Rhoades
'01 Volvo 770
2016 DRV Mobile Suites, Houston
HERO Makers Ministry

30495168531_143d8fb8d6_m.jpg

40 minutes ago, herorock said:

I would be careful about this statement.  There weren't many air hitch providers out there, because there weren't many HDTs pulling those Tetons.  Even today, builders (like DRV) are building these trailers to be pulled by large pickup trucks, where the suspension on the pickup would absorb the road shock.  Even the builders of today don't pull their own show vehicles with HDTs.

I had a 2005 Teton that had a pin weight of 7K and the Trailer Saver hitch handled it very well.  I, know it sounds like a too heavy pin weight, but the 1st owner had it built with the axles moved more to the rear to offset the weight of a Harley on the back of the trailer.

The designer from Teton of the Big and Tall basement had the structure beefed up to handle that new designed basement, not for pulling with HDTs.  It probably helped, but the our big trucks will put a lot of stress on a hard fixed hitch, that gets translated back to the trailer.

I "somewhat" have to disagree. Tetons were built to be pulled with minimum a F450 or F550, due to the fact, that in the late 90", 1-ton trucks could not legally haul that weight. When I compare a stock F450 or F550 with spring suspension to a singled out Peterbilt, I have to say the Peterbilt transfers less stress and is a much smoother ride.

What someone need to consider is that the original weight rating on the rear axles is for 2 axles. removing one axle, reduces the axle weight rating, but also makes the overall ride smoother. And the Peterbilt Air leaf on my 359 is extremely smooth, considering how old that truck is..( in addition I am adding front air ride )

However, I do strongly agree, the hitch needs to swivel in all directions. I also agree, you can not beat a Air ride hitch.

thanks again to everybody for all the input so far

I've got the Trailersaver 30k on my Topkick, couldn't be happier for the money.  I saw the necessity of an air hitch, but did not have the $3k to spend on a new one.  I trolled ebay daily for several months and eventually came across mine like new for $1500.  Since a new solid hitch from Reese etc. was over $1000, I figured $1500 was a bargain.  The trailer I was originally towing was a 40' race trailer with 23k loaded weight, including 5k on the pin.  I only have the two bags and at 5k I had to run 85-90 psi to get it to their  level line, but it held up well.  No bag failures 5 years later.  Even though that seems like a lot of pressure, you could put your shoulder under the trailer and get it to bounce up and down a couple of inches, so there was still plenty of movement.  That said, I should have added their third bag at my weight and you would need it at 6k for sure.

At this point, I certainly think the ET is the best hitch out there, but if you are on a budget the trailersavers do pop up used pretty regular if you keep an eye out.  I've since seen a few cheaper than what I paid for mine.

Question, Would a say, Volvo 730 or whatever have a better riding air suspension than a say a 1 ton springed dually ???, i do agree a 4 way hitch would be the best, But would the air ride HDT ride better ????

Just a thought

6 hours ago, curtm said:

Question, Would a say, Volvo 730 or whatever have a better riding air suspension than a say a 1 ton springed dually ???, i do agree a 4 way hitch would be the best, But would the air ride HDT ride better ????

Just a thought

If I understand your question, the air ride suspension has little effect on an unloaded (bobtailing) HDT because there is no weight riding on it. Our trailers also do not weigh enough to make the suspension of an HDT work to our advantage. An HDT without an air hitch will beat an RV trailer to death. Even Steve Dixon uses an air hitch to pull his bumper pull travel trailer with his HDT.

MY PEOPLE SKILLS ARE JUST FINE.
~It's my tolerance to idiots that needs work.~

2005 Volvo 780 VED12 465hp / Freedomline transmission
singled mid position / Bed by Larry Herrin
2018 customed Mobile Suites 40KSSB3 

2014 smart Fortwo

17 minutes ago, curtm said:

Suppose you are right, How about a lower air pressure on the truck air ride ????

another thought, seems like i have many of them

Curt

The truck suspension at bobtail is already so low it hardly inflates the bags. The pinweight of a typical fifth doesn't add that much either. Screwing around with the truck suspension air valve to reduce the pressure (the only way to do it)  is a bad juju. Don't do it.

On a class 8 truck.  Riding in the cab you don't realize how bad the roads are.  You ride on 3 suspensions, the truck frame suspension, the cab suspension- which is air, and your seat, which is air ride.  You do get bounce, but not jolt.  

The RV needs an air ride hitch with a fully articulating head- forward back / side to side.

Alie & Jim + 8 paws

2017 DRV Memphis 

BART- 1998 Volvo 610

Lil'ole 6cyl Cummins

Archived