Overall length - VNL vs VNM

remoandiris

From Jack's site. VNM Daycab front bumper to back of cab 112"

VNL Daycab front bumper to back of cab 123"

now add sleeper 42, 61 or 77 inches.

In Ontario we have a maximum wheelbase which I believe is 244 inches but I've seen some of the trucks in the SW US running 300 or more so that is why there is no definitive answer to your question. Plus many people selling used trucks don't know the difference between models.

Nigel

VNM is a truck without the skirts and the VNL is one with skirts / fairings on the side.

After that BCC is ??? spec'ed. look at some of the AlumaBunk's that the moving companies use. Then flip to the expeditors with straight trucks. Now, throw in frame extensions, beds, singling, and ???? other stuff.

All over the map.

Maybe I should have stated this upfront, maybe not...I want to carry a 50" RZR and my GoldWing on the rear deck. The truck's overall length can be no more than 25' to stay under 65' when towing. Also have to account for tie-down points for the GoldWing. The RZR tie-down points are right beside the tires, but the bike tie-downs need to be several inches out from each side. Maybe putting the RZR against the cab and the bike rearward of that might work.

If it is not possible, I'll have to rethink my wants and needs. At this point a call to RV Haulers is in order.

The 65' overall length is law in most states, but many folks are several feet longer- 68-70' and haven't had issues.

NOT that it's legal, BUT many folks here that have long beds on long frame trucks with long trailers are illegal. It's just ignored. When asked how long they are, many folks will say something like 65' and 49"....

When we are done with our configuration of truck and trailer, I expect to be 69' overall, ready to roll.

What are the issues with a cabover design? Is it just a comfort issue? It seems like that is all they use overseas for long hauling. Wouldn't a cabover solve a lot of the length issues?

I am sure it would solve most of the over length issues. Biggest problem would be finding a good one with an automated transmission. My understanding is the Argosy was quite comfortable to drive and a few even had the auto. I'd love to see some of the European cabovers here but you would probably have to severely discount them to sell.

Nigel

For our use I'd love to have a new Volvo FN series cabover, like they use in the rest of the world. But don't hold your breath. There is no market for that truck in North America. (on edit: I should not say "NO MARKET"...BUT JUST A VERY LIMITED MARKET).

I can see talking my 5'2" tall wife into climbing into a VNL (where the floor is 4' off the ground) and then standing up to walk into the sleeper.

I cannot see talking my wife into climbing into a cabover, then crawling over the "doghouse" (engine/transmission hump) to make it into the sleeper.

Face it, the RDBE count would probably go down with cabovers. There's probably also more engine noise with the engine under-foot.

Archived