Suggestions for a dash cam

Brad & Jacolyn

I'm thinking about getting a dash cam for the Volvo and know nothing about them. What should I be looking for and what are Y'all using?

Brad

Brad and Jacolyn
Tucker the Wonder dog and Brynn the Norfolk Terrier
2009 Smart "Joy"
2004 VNL630 "Vonda the Volvo"
2008 Hitch Hiker 35 CK Champagne Edition
VED12 465 HP, Freedomline, 3.73 ratio, WB 218"
Fulltiming and loving it.

Techmoan has a YouTube channel where many dash cams are reviewed.  My Garmin Dezl can be accessorized with a dash cam.  Don't go cheap; the video quality is grainy and they're unreliable, IMHO.

2012 F350 KR CC DRW w/ some stuff
2019 Arctic Fox 32-5M
Cindy and Tom, Kasey and Maggie (our Newfie and Berner)
Oh...I forgot the five kids.

I followed this because I don't have one yet either.  I have read some folks prefer a LatLon stamp and a date stamp on their video I myself will be looking for resolution and the largest monitor so it's easier to read settings.  

I read an article about using my smartphone as a dash cam but the review/conclusion was the app on the phone had to be clicked on and set up every time its used, and the video lag was unacceptable.   Thanks Brad & Jacolyn for asking the question.

Kevin and June

2013 Volvo VNL 730    D13 Eco-Torque @ 425  Ratio 2.47 

2014 DRV 36TKSB3 

Signature.jpegmKgUJbbl.jpg

I'm interested in features I need to look for. I'm not afraid to spend the money but don't know what features I should look for. I just got the latest products released by Techno Rv and they test everything pretty hard (supposedly) before they take on a product to sell. They are now selling Rand McNally Dash Cam 500. That brought up the subject but I still don't know what important features I should look for. That is why I asked.

Haven't got serious about this yet but I'm thinking Christmas is coming soon.

Brad and Jacolyn
2009 Smart "Joy"

Features I like that most dash cams have now-

Recordable loop on SD cards.  Most have variable times- 10 min, 1 hour, length of SD card allows, etc.

GPS with Motion sensor- If you stop suddenly errrrr, decelerate quickly, the camera marks a time stamp and GPS point.

Audio control.... This your lawyer will appreciate.... I keep mine turned off.... I don't need to be heard in court talking about someone else's mother.....

Day/Night mode- my current cheapee camera has an LED dash light that reflects off the windshield.  It can be turned off on my cheap camera.

Alie & Jim + 8 paws

2017 DRV Memphis 

BART- 1998 Volvo 610

Lil'ole 6cyl Cummins

Continuing-

Most cameras now have a feature that is any button recording stop.  This is handy when the kayak blows off the roof 2 cars in front and wipes out the mini-van in front of you.  Once again, the lawyer will appreciate you having the audio turned off.

Alie & Jim + 8 paws

2017 DRV Memphis 

BART- 1998 Volvo 610

Lil'ole 6cyl Cummins

Rexing makes a killer dash cam system at a very good price !  I have them in all vehicles and have passed the footage to law enforcement several times with always making the comment that the footage is much better than what they have in their vechicles.    Mine are hard wired in so when the engine starts, they start recording and 30 seconds after the engine stop, they stop.

1 hour ago, Pug said:

Rexing makes a killer dash cam system at a very good price !  I have them in all vehicles and have passed the footage to law enforcement several times with always making the comment that the footage is much better than what they have in their vechicles.    Mine are hard wired in so when the engine starts, they start recording and 30 seconds after the engine stop, they stop.

X2, that's the one I have.

1080p

21 hours looped in 3 minute files with the 128G card. Sound always on with mine.

Love it.

Retired USN Engineer

2020 Ram 2500 Bighorn 6.7 Diesel

2014 Crossroads Zinger 27RL (Traded)

2022 Grand Design Reflection 315RLTS

PCWorld did a fair write-up about dash cams and reviewed several. The article and links (at the bottom of the article) to their reviews is HERE

MY PEOPLE SKILLS ARE JUST FINE.
~It's my tolerance to idiots that needs work.~

2005 Volvo 780 VED12 465hp / Freedomline transmission
singled mid position / Bed by Larry Herrin
2018 customed Mobile Suites 40KSSB3 

2014 smart Fortwo

I have a new monitor for my rear view cameras. It takes a SD card. I will be adding a camera to the dash facing forward as it will record 4 channels at the same time.

Ron C.

2013 Dynamax Trilogy 3850 D3

2000 Kenworth T2000 Optimus Prime

Take a look at this....I'm happy with it's capabilities had it installed for about 6 months....

Rexing V1 3rd Generation 4K UHD WiFi Car Dash Cam 2.4" LCD 170° Wide Angle Dashboard Camera Recorder with WiFi, 16GB Card, G-Sensor, WDR, Loop Recording

Here is a link https://www.rexingusa.com/products/rexing-v1-gen-3/?from=products     

2014 HDT Volvo 780 "Baby Bird"
2016 Smart Car "Baby Bird Turd" - on the back
2020 Momentum 376THS
We're both proud USAF Retirees...

OK I guess I'm ready to start looking. Thanks for the suggestions and good link Phil. The hunt begins.

Brad

Brad and Jacolyn
2009 Smart "Joy"

15 minutes ago, maveric said:

What are the reasons that you installed, or are considering a dash cam?

Just a CYA? Security? Capture images? (don't even know if this is possible)

My #1 reason was CYA !  I have to tell you that when something happens and everyone points the finger at the truck, having the footage to show otherwise has been GREAT !!  Never used it for security, have a different system for that.  I have used it for capturing images since I have a large memory card and came back later to get what I wanted.

There have been several agencies that claimed I was in the wrong and when my lawyers played back the videos with GPS stamping, well others side sang a much different tune !!

Its also a double edge sword, you something bad, its evidence.

2 hours ago, Pug said:

There have been several agencies that claimed I was in the wrong and when my lawyers played back the videos with GPS stamping, well others side sang a much different tune !!

Several agencies? And it would seem cheaper, to me anyway, to have shown the video to those agencies yourself rather than having to pay an attorney to it for you. 

MY PEOPLE SKILLS ARE JUST FINE.
~It's my tolerance to idiots that needs work.~

2005 Volvo 780 VED12 465hp / Freedomline transmission
singled mid position / Bed by Larry Herrin
2018 customed Mobile Suites 40KSSB3 

2014 smart Fortwo

6 minutes ago, Big5er said:

Several agencies? And it would seem cheaper, to me anyway, to have shown the video to those agencies yourself rather than having to pay an attorney to it for you. 

In the great state of California you need to be careful. Proving yourself right the wrong way can land you in more trouble as I learned from the school of hard knocks.

At this point in my life I find the phrase "Yes sir ...  thank you sir ...  May I have a contact to call sir ..." works the best.  No matter how nice I am, how polite I am trying to present additional information in support of my side, I seem to always land in trouble.  At my age, I have stared down enough barrels over the years that I fined lawyers easier 😊

I won't be without a dash cam eversince a tanker truck hit the shoulder and then overcorrected and came into my lane!  I was wishing i could go back and watch the footage to see how he got back into his own lane because i was busy watching my life flash in front of me!  It all happened so fast i didn't even hit the brake! After 2 cheap cams i finally bought the Rand McNally GPS with 1080p cam. 

2004 Freightliner m2 106  2015 DRV lx450 Fullhouse  2019 Indian Springfield 2014 Yamaha 950 V-Star

Archived