Jump to content
VegasFlyer

Update of Bed Build

Recommended Posts

16 hours ago, VegasFlyer said:

Sorry for the delay in responding, we did not see your question until tonight.

Unfortunately, we do not have any good photos of the main mounting brackets, though they are actually quite simply 90 degree broke .250 steel brackets that weld on to the main bed rails and then bolt to the brackets that the commercial hitch was hack bolted to.

That's just fine, John.  I think 99 photos of everything else would be acceptable instead.  ;)

I haven't seen step details like that before.  Agree with BillR, pretty cool.

Edited by Sculptor

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

VT   The bed looks great! Wait till you can hookup and go then you'll know it was worth it. We really enjoyed the visit in Vegas. Just remember if you get on this side of the world to let me know! We got back the 12th of Nov. Had a great trip. We just ran out of time. Could have stayed on the road for a year but the billfold wouldn't handle it. So we are back home thinking about the next big trip.    Pat

 

 

The Old Sailor

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, JPL said:

VT   The bed looks great! Wait till you can hookup and go then you'll know it was worth it. We really enjoyed the visit in Vegas. Just remember if you get on this side of the world to let me know! We got back the 12th of Nov. Had a great trip. We just ran out of time. Could have stayed on the road for a year but the billfold wouldn't handle it. So we are back home thinking about the next big trip.    Pat

 

 

The Old Sailor

 

 

 

Pat,

You got the wrong "Vegas", I think you were referring to the goofy one..... lol

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Here is another update with pictures of some of the mounts.

we are in the homestretch and took the bed off to complete all the final welding and painting of the underside of the bed.

XfbGePCl.jpg

t6AlOahl.jpg

CHoUKWBl.jpg

mOJ61y9l.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

VT   The bed is really looking good!  When do you plan on the last install? Paint color? Next week back to the salt mines? Take care and be safe.    Pat

 

 

The Old Sailor

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

What are you using to paint it, esp the underside?  I would think a perfect candidate for Por 15.  Or perhaps some red oxide primer and an industrial enamel top coat.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/31/2017 at 7:24 AM, JPL said:

VT   The bed is really looking good!  When do you plan on the last install? Paint color? Next week back to the salt mines? Take care and be safe.    Pat

 

 

The Old Sailor

Thanks Pat!

We are hoping to get it wrapped up in the next six weeks.  With weekends and life, it makes it hard to get all the little things done.

 

The exterior color will probably be something close to match the truck.  The underside will be equipment paint from Tractor Supply.  We have a couple good referals from farming friends who have used it a lot on various projects on commercial farms in Oregon, with great results.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/31/2017 at 9:13 AM, rpsinc said:

What are you using to paint it, esp the underside?  I would think a perfect candidate for Por 15.  Or perhaps some red oxide primer and an industrial enamel top coat.

RPSINC,

Please see above response.  Por 15 would be a good choice as well.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/31/2017 at 9:57 AM, Alie&Jim's Carrilite said:

I would like to pull my bed off, have it blasted- sand-pecan shell- etc, and then have it Rhino/LineX 'd .

We are going to try a roll on type of liner for the deck.  Have heard mixed reviews on underside applications.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The TSC paint is OK use hardener, I would suggest an etching primer.    That is a lot of steel.    Are the angles going to the outside of the rails, on second look outside of the angles on 5th plate?

 

Steve

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Steve from SoCal said:

The TSC paint is OK use hardener, I would suggest an etching primer.    That is a lot of steel.    Are the angles going to the outside of the rails, on second look outside of the angles on 5th plate?

 

Steve

Steve,

We will definitely use hardener with the TSC paint, as well as an etching primer.

The mount that looks like angle is actually two 1/2" plates and the two sets of brackets that you can see in the photos do marry up to the existing fifth wheel mount on the truck.  The vertical pieces go to just outside the fifth wheel bracket.

We are fabricating another set of brackets that will mount where the aluminum cat-walk went across the top of the frame, in front of the fifth wheel plate, utilizing those existing holes in the frame rails, to secure the front of the bed.

Edited by VegasFlyer

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My first experience with TSC paint was this past summer.  I just brushed the paint on an equipment trailer and it looks great.  I don't know how long it will last but it covers really well and dried without brush marks. I used a rust primer first.  Certainly turned out better than I expected.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The powder coating on my Tork lift parts on the won ton flutters off in pieces with nice rust patches underneath. 

Will be blasting and doing over with equipment paint.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, noteven said:

The powder coating on my Tork lift parts on the won ton flutters off in pieces with nice rust patches underneath. 

Will be blasting and doing over with equipment paint.

I have used POR-15 on my bed, I did do an acid wash as in the instructions, and here is a picture of my wheel well, it's dirty from the snow I drove in yesterday, but after about 60,000 miles it still looks like new, no pits or rusting, it is a pain to put on, and don't spray it as the overspray will not come of of anything it lands on, but well worth the effort.

Roger

PY3TGVC.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/4/2018 at 10:40 AM, Hewhoknowslittle said:

I have used POR-15 on my bed, I did do an acid wash as in the instructions, and here is a picture of my wheel well, it's dirty from the snow I drove in yesterday, but after about 60,000 miles it still looks like new, no pits or rusting, it is a pain to put on, and don't spray it as the overspray will not come of of anything it lands on, but well worth the effort.

Roger

PY3TGVC.jpg

Roger,

That is great information, thanks for sharing.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You will want to be real careful of anything around the area where you are painting.  Only brush or roll it on.  And make sure you wear some old long sleeve shirts that you will certainly be throwing away.  Don't forget the gloves, and if you happen to get some on your skin, well, you'll just have to wait until it wears off!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, HERO Maker said:

You will want to be real careful of anything around the area where you are painting.  Only brush or roll it on.  And make sure you wear some old long sleeve shirts that you will certainly be throwing away.  Don't forget the gloves, and if you happen to get some on your skin, well, you'll just have to wait until it wears off!

 

Thanks for the advice Rocky.

Luckily we have a few pair of Tyvek hazmat coveralls that were thrown out at work, due to expiration dates.  They should still be good for the hazmat we will be applying...lol

Still bouncing around ideas for applying the paint to the underside area of the bed.  There are quite a few hard to reach areas and most paint guns don't like being aimed upwards.  Researching airless sprayers.

We will probably brush on the paint for the frame.

Edited by VegasFlyer

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If you get a pressure pot for your air gun, you can paint any direction you want.  It replaces the spray gun paint reservoir with a separate one, connected with a hose.  A small amount of air pressure pushes the paint to the gun.  Harbor Freight has a couple of inexpensive options.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Moresmoke said:

If you get a pressure pot for your air gun, you can paint any direction you want.  It replaces the spray gun paint reservoir with a separate one, connected with a hose.  A small amount of air pressure pushes the paint to the gun.  Harbor Freight has a couple of inexpensive options.

I have painted several airplanes and, I second the pressure pot.     If you do spray paint ANY thing with isocyanates "hardener" please wear a supplied air respirator or better yet full face mask.      

 

Silly question, why don't you flip the body over to paint the underside?

 

Steve

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/2/2018 at 11:53 PM, VegasFlyer said:

We are going to try a roll on type of liner for the deck.  Have heard mixed reviews on underside applications.

I used the roll on liner on my truck tool box many years ago. Still looks good. Did take a while putting on though. I did at least 3 coats I think. Used up two quart cans. It was from Tractor Supply too. 

 

 

Rod

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Steve from SoCal said:

I have painted several airplanes and, I second the pressure pot.     If you do spray paint ANY thing with isocyanates "hardener" please wear a supplied air respirator or better yet full face mask.      

 

Silly question, why don't you flip the body over to paint the underside?

 

Steve

Steve,

Not a silly question, but it would be like wrestling two fat ladies for the last piece of pizza!!!

The bed is built of 1/4” everything, with some 1/2” plate thrown in for good measure.

It would take a lot more lifting devices than we reasonably have access to.

We already planned on full safety gear Luke respirators, hoods, gloves, etc.

Edited by VegasFlyer

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

RVers Online University

campgroundviews.com

Our program provides accurate individual wheel weights for your RV, toad, and tow vehicle, and will help you trim the pounds if you need to.

Rvonthego.com

Rv Share

Dish For My RV.

Find out more or sign up for Escapees RV'ers Bootcamp.

Advertise your product or service here.



×