Attention Visitors and Lurkers - Please Read and Respond to this Request

dieseldan

1 hour ago, Windrider104 said:

Getting ready to go full time and realizing our 2008 F-350 6.4 king ranch dually just is not gonna cut it with just our 15k 5er. In our learning curve, learning our rig is best for occasional trips, but not continued use. After all it is a light duty truck (LDT) with a max gross weight of 13k. (Gonna have to put our 3 cats on a diet).

What is with the knee jerk reaction we seem to get when mentioning MDT and being told HDT is the only way to go? We are simply looking for information on options. MDT seems to cover class 5 and class 6 (and a few stray into 7) and HDT is class 7 and 8. HDT seems to be converted over the road tractors that get remade into rv haulers.

What we are looking for is a class 6 or maybe a 7 MDT crewcab. Want roughly same length as our dually, but better turning radius. Full air ride suspension so long runs are again enjoyable. Not interested in taller HDT or longer HDT. We want to be able to use rig for shopping and sightseeing - and carry passengers. Automatic is a must. 4x4 would be nice, but harder to find. Reason for a class 6 is higher gross weights and more power. Pre DEF or fully deleted would be nice. 

Looks like final a few manufacturers saw the niche and began making MDT rv haulers specifically and that pushed the big rig advocates out of that niche and into the current HDT niche. Don’t get me wrong, love the HDT and the idea of making one, but at this time of my life, all I want is something that will meet our needs comfortably and not need a lot of on going tweaking or remodeling. Not interested in hauling a car, not interested in having to worry about cab height, not interesting in something that won’t be easy to use for shopping, sightseeing or taking family with us. So, while we appreciate the passion of HDT owners, instead of trying to push us where we are not ready to go, how about respecting our needs and simply help us sort through all the marketing hype and zero in on specific models and what to watch for? BTW - also don’t want to hear about horse people ruining the MDT market - that is opinion, not fact. What changed the MDT market was makers waking up to a niche that was growing. Sadly there are some lower end MDTs that should not exist, but that happens as niches mature. That is why we are looking for class 6 and up.

Any help, suggestions, leads on rigs would be greatly appreciated. No disrespect meant to HDT folks - love and respect what you are doing. Just asking for same respect for our needs and decisions. Thanks in advance - looking forward to seeing you n the road.

Bill

Hello Bill,

I think your questions would be best seen in the MDT section. I don't think anyone will see your questions. They will get lost in this thread. Please start a new topic and you should see some replies. There is some nice looking MDT's out there. There is a couple that I know that are full timers and they enjoy there truck. It does have 4 doors and is automatic. 

I hope this helps,
Al

2012 Volvo VNL 630 w/ I-Shift; D13 engine; " Veeger "
  Redwood, model 3401R ; 5th Wheel Trailer, " Dead Wood "
    2006 Smart Car " Killer Frog "

• Replies 901
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

3 hours ago, Windrider104 said:

Getting ready to go full time and realizing our 2008 F-350 6.4 king ranch dually just is not gonna cut it with just our 15k 5er. In our learning curve, learning our rig is best for occasional trips, but not continued use. After all it is a light duty truck (LDT) with a max gross weight of 13k. (Gonna have to put our 3 cats on a diet).

What is with the knee jerk reaction we seem to get when mentioning MDT and being told HDT is the only way to go? We are simply looking for information on options. MDT seems to cover class 5 and class 6 (and a few stray into 7) and HDT is class 7 and 8. HDT seems to be converted over the road tractors that get remade into rv haulers.

What we are looking for is a class 6 or maybe a 7 MDT crewcab. Want roughly same length as our dually, but better turning radius. Full air ride suspension so long runs are again enjoyable. Not interested in taller HDT or longer HDT. We want to be able to use rig for shopping and sightseeing - and carry passengers. Automatic is a must. 4x4 would be nice, but harder to find. Reason for a class 6 is higher gross weights and more power. Pre DEF or fully deleted would be nice. 

Looks like final a few manufacturers saw the niche and began making MDT rv haulers specifically and that pushed the big rig advocates out of that niche and into the current HDT niche. Don’t get me wrong, love the HDT and the idea of making one, but at this time of my life, all I want is something that will meet our needs comfortably and not need a lot of on going tweaking or remodeling. Not interested in hauling a car, not interested in having to worry about cab height, not interesting in something that won’t be easy to use for shopping, sightseeing or taking family with us. So, while we appreciate the passion of HDT owners, instead of trying to push us where we are not ready to go, how about respecting our needs and simply help us sort through all the marketing hype and zero in on specific models and what to watch for? BTW - also don’t want to hear about horse people ruining the MDT market - that is opinion, not fact. What changed the MDT market was makers waking up to a niche that was growing. Sadly there are some lower end MDTs that should not exist, but that happens as niches mature. That is why we are looking for class 6 and up.

Any help, suggestions, leads on rigs would be greatly appreciated. No disrespect meant to HDT folks - love and respect what you are doing. Just asking for same respect for our needs and decisions. Thanks in advance - looking forward to seeing you n the road.

Bill

Bill,

I am confused, with this being your first post on the forums how were you "disrespected"?    

The MDT option is valid, there are some very capable MDT trucks, they are as costly or more costly than many HDT trucks.     That is one of the more reasonable debating points, buying something like an RV hauler is a choice full of options.    The  HDT option has few true crew cab options, the MDT option with a crew cab has that option, that is a big point of contention for many.     Most MDT t rucks are not considered RV's and depending on where you are domiciled could have an impact on how you are licensed and what your fees will be.     There are no one size fits all in trucks hence the wide array of offerings.     The heavier class 6 MDT trucks are often class 7 trucks with down rated equipment, your insistence on staying with a class 6 truck limits your options IMHO.    With a 15K trailer ANY class 5 or 6 truck would be more than enough, the limiting issues would be in power and braking.     It is your choice, no one is able to make your choice for you.     The folks on the forums are relaying their own experiences and, many here have gone through the fleet from 3/4 or 1 ton pick ups incrementally to HDT or MDT trucks.   

Your trailer weight is a consideration along with future plans like a heavier trailer, where you plan to travel and, what your budget is.     Travel in the mountains with a heavy trailer will be slower and more stressful on a low powered truck, yes it will haul the trailer but, work hard pulling grades.      That is one of the biggest complaints of MDT trucks, they don't have the power options of the heavier trucks.      Class 6 trucks will have hydraulic brakes and, some will have transmission brakes instead of engine brakes for down hill speed control.    Many class 6 trucks were not designed as air ride bodies and the air suspension is not as well integrated as the semi tractors.       Last, buying a prepackaged MDT is like buying a pick up, you get what the manufacture offers.     If that is what you want, go for it.     The cab and chassis options offer much greater choice at nearly comparable price but, you do the leg work and, spec the features YOU want.     

Steve  

2005 Peterbilt 387-112 Baby Cat 9 speed U-shift

1996/2016 remod Teton Royal Atlanta

1996 Kentucky 48 single drop stacker garage project

catdiesellogo.jpg.e96e571c41096ef39b447f78b9c2027c.jpg Pulls like a train, sounds like a plane....faster than a Cheetah sniffin cocaine.   

Welcome, Don.  Do you have plans to integrate an air ride hitch along with your commercial hitch, or will you just use the standard fifth plate?

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN
Lots of old motorcycles, Moto Guzzi Griso and Spyder F3 currently in the front row
Young enough to play in the dirt as a retired farmer.
contact me at rickeieio1@comcast.net

The plan is to extend the frame and put and put an air ride hitch behind the rear axle.  There us a company in Florida that does the work and sells the hitch.  Then, since I'm going to continue to tow commercial, I'll need to have the pin box on the trailer modified, since the hitch will need to be mounted on the bottom of the frame to clear the commercial kingpin.

• 3 weeks later...

Hello. I've been lurking for a few weeks now and finally decided to join. We have a 1993 Jayco fifth wheel. Camping and traveling are two of our favorite things to do. I'm from KY but moved to NE back in 2009 so my husband & I travel to KY at least once a year. We take our camper and have always pulled it with our Chevy pickup but after a few bad breakdowns and the pickup struggling to pull the camper through those hills, we finally took a leap of faith and bought an '03 Freightliner Columbia to pull our camper from now on. My husband was an over the road truck driver for several years over 16 years ago so it isn't all that new to him to be driving a semi or traveling in one, however, I've never driven one, only rode with him in the semi's he drives to haul grain since he works on a farm. This will be a new experience for our family and opening up a lot of new places that we can travel to so I'm excited. We have two young sons, ages 4 and 7. Both love traveling and camping as much as we do. I also have 4 stepchildren who are ages 16-20. My 16 yr old stepdaughter still travels with us some.

We've got some work to do on the Freightliner, including taking out the bed in the sleeper and putting in a seating area with at least 3 seatbelts for sure. Any advice on that would be greatly appreciated! We've looked at jackknife couches as well as building our own bench seating area.

Our primary states of travel currently are NE, IA, IN, OH, KY, TN, IL and Missouri but there's so many states I've never been too and we're planning to broaden our travel area now that we have the truck. I did see the link for the campgrounds on the site, but if there's any particular campgrounds you'd recommend in the states I mentioned above or anywhere in the US, I've love to know.

We are excited to join the HDT community and any advice for us would be appreciated! Thank you!

On 2/6/2018 at 4:39 PM, Jen&Jon said:

Hello. I've been lurking for a few weeks now and finally decided to join. We have a 1993 Jayco fifth wheel. Camping and traveling are two of our favorite things to do. I'm from KY but moved to NE back in 2009 so my husband & I travel to KY at least once a year. We take our camper and have always pulled it with our Chevy pickup but after a few bad breakdowns and the pickup struggling to pull the camper through those hills, we finally took a leap of faith and bought an '03 Freightliner Columbia to pull our camper from now on. My husband was an over the road truck driver for several years over 16 years ago so it isn't all that new to him to be driving a semi or traveling in one, however, I've never driven one, only rode with him in the semi's he drives to haul grain since he works on a farm. This will be a new experience for our family and opening up a lot of new places that we can travel to so I'm excited. We have two young sons, ages 4 and 7. Both love traveling and camping as much as we do. I also have 4 stepchildren who are ages 16-20. My 16 yr old stepdaughter still travels with us some.

We've got some work to do on the Freightliner, including taking out the bed in the sleeper and putting in a seating area with at least 3 seatbelts for sure. Any advice on that would be greatly appreciated! We've looked at jackknife couches as well as building our own bench seating area.

Our primary states of travel currently are NE, IA, IN, OH, KY, TN, IL and Missouri but there's so many states I've never been too and we're planning to broaden our travel area now that we have the truck. I did see the link for the campgrounds on the site, but if there's any particular campgrounds you'd recommend in the states I mentioned above or anywhere in the US, I've love to know.

We are excited to join the HDT community and any advice for us would be appreciated! Thank you!

I'm Jon that's Jen. She didn't know I was here already.

Farmer, Trucker, Equipment operator, Mechanic

Quando omni flunkus moritati-When all else fails, play dead
I'm a man, but I can change, if I have to, I guess.

On 1/18/2018 at 12:50 PM, Steve from SoCal said:

Bill,

I am confused, with this being your first post on the forums how were you "disrespected"?    

The MDT option is valid, there are some very capable MDT trucks, they are as costly or more costly than many HDT trucks.     That is one of the more reasonable debating points, buying something like an RV hauler is a choice full of options.    The  HDT option has few true crew cab options, the MDT option with a crew cab has that option, that is a big point of contention for many.     Most MDT t rucks are not considered RV's and depending on where you are domiciled could have an impact on how you are licensed and what your fees will be.     There are no one size fits all in trucks hence the wide array of offerings.     The heavier class 6 MDT trucks are often class 7 trucks with down rated equipment, your insistence on staying with a class 6 truck limits your options IMHO.    With a 15K trailer ANY class 5 or 6 truck would be more than enough, the limiting issues would be in power and braking.     It is your choice, no one is able to make your choice for you.     The folks on the forums are relaying their own experiences and, many here have gone through the fleet from 3/4 or 1 ton pick ups incrementally to HDT or MDT trucks.   

Your trailer weight is a consideration along with future plans like a heavier trailer, where you plan to travel and, what your budget is.     Travel in the mountains with a heavy trailer will be slower and more stressful on a low powered truck, yes it will haul the trailer but, work hard pulling grades.      That is one of the biggest complaints of MDT trucks, they don't have the power options of the heavier trucks.      Class 6 trucks will have hydraulic brakes and, some will have transmission brakes instead of engine brakes for down hill speed control.    Many class 6 trucks were not designed as air ride bodies and the air suspension is not as well integrated as the semi tractors.       Last, buying a prepackaged MDT is like buying a pick up, you get what the manufacture offers.     If that is what you want, go for it.     The cab and chassis options offer much greater choice at nearly comparable price but, you do the leg work and, spec the features YOU want.     

Steve  

As a watcher and reader I have seen many hard core HDTer jumping all over newbies and either saying or implying anyone not doing a HDT is two bricks short of a full load. So, my note was a bad attempt to wave them off - apologies for bad wording.

Our need is a step up to a class 5 or 6 MDT and would prefer pre-DEF. while our trailer is 15k, when truck is loaded, we are 500 over and trailer not fully packed. Adding an extra fuel tank an tool boxes with tools put me over. I suspect with trailer fully loaded and all my tools and such, we will easily blow past 14k which is what the newer f350/450 do.

Finding used MDTs is not easy - especially on the west coast. Where can one find them?

Understand it’s a package - but so are pickups. As I understand it, even in the mountains something with 300-350hp should handle it just fine. Sadly, have no clue where to look.

apologies if anyone as offended.

Bill

You are in the same predicament as we were.  Our F-350 was too light.  While a mdt seemed the best route, finding one was difficult.  Thus our decision to jump to the hdt.

Do I need 500 hp?  Not really.  I certainly don't need the full sleeper cab.  But, we bought it for about 1/3 the cost of a decent mdt. Now we appreciate the extra capability and safety margin that came along for no additional costs. YMMV.

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN
Lots of old motorcycles, Moto Guzzi Griso and Spyder F3 currently in the front row

On 1/18/2018 at 12:50 PM, Steve from SoCal said:

Bill,

Steve  

As a watcher and reader I have seen many hard core HDTer jumping all over newbies and either saying or implying anyone not doing a HDT is two bricks short of a full load. So, my note was a bad attempt to wave them off - apologies for bad wording.

Our need is a step up to a class 5 or 6 MDT and would prefer pre-DEF. while our trailer is 15k, when truck is loaded, we are 500 over and trailer not fully packed. Adding an extra fuel tank an tool boxes with tools put me over. I suspect with trailer fully loaded and all my tools and such, we will easily blow past 14k which is what the newer f350/450 do.

Finding used MDTs is not easy - especially on the west coast. Where can one find them?

Understand it’s a package - but so are pickups. As I understand it, even in the mountains something with 300-350hp should handle it just fine. Sadly, have no clue where to look.

apologies if anyone as offended.

Bill

• 6 months later...
1 hour ago, DvdAnimalvt said:

I am a newbe who is interested in a heavy duty truck to pull a Sundowner horse trailer with camper section. I live in the commonwealth of Virginia and would like  any information and advice available on titling a HDT for private use.  Thanks in advance for the help.

Hi I pull a 4 horse 15' short wall living quarters Lakota with a 630 Volvo.  I moved up from a 03 Duramx dully. Check my past posts and you can read some of what I have done.  I just took my first trip and have a few bugs to work out. I will add more as I work on it. There realy is no comparison between the two trucks.

• 2 weeks later...

Been lurking for a year or more, looking at getting a HDT (Volvo) and 5th wheel for My wife and I to retire into and travel mostly out west for the next decade or so.  It's getting closer so I'm looking at trucks now.

I am impressed with all the info people share about trucks and fifth wheels.  You all have learned a lot and I'm glad you share your knowledge.   Makes me a lot more comfortable taking a step like this at this age (57).

• 2 weeks later...

Hello HDTers,

Long time Texas lurkers intro posting.

I probably did this backwards but I found a nifty trailer but it is too heavy for my 05 dodge 1 ton diesel so now I am searching for a tow vehicle to safely handle it.  The main problem is the 6360 lb pin weight. The trailer GVWR is 21000lbs. It is a Featherlite living quarters toy hauler.

I just signed up for the National HDT rally and hope to gain some knowledge to make the truck purchase better than a shot in the dark.

Thanks for all the information found on this site!

Regards  from Cleveland Tx.

A B Skates

Welcome to the group.  You'll find lots of friendly folks and an over load of info at the rally.  And the best place to shop for trucks is here, in the "for Sale" section.

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN

Hey ABS

Just curious - how did you determine your pin weight? That is pretty heavy, about 30%  GVWR, where you should be down around 20-22%. (Watch, someone will bite my head off for that statement because it isn't really correct. Pin weight is affected by the Gross Weight of the entire rig, not just the trailer, but it will guide you in the right general direction). You probably already knew that and I'm Captain Obvious.

Paul & Paula + Daisy the amazing wiggle worm dog...

2001 Volvo 770 Autoshift, Singled, w/ Aluminum Bed - Toy Draggin

2013 395AMP XLR Thunderbolt Toy Hauler

2013 Smart Passion

2012 CanAm Spyder RT

2013 Harley Davidson Street Glide

Welcome ABS. 

Sounds like a great trailer - configured without the floaty barely minimum pin weight and the long rear overhang blowing around that so many RV units have...

That trailer is likely fairly low profile?

I’d be tempted to find a truck that isn’t 13ft tall to go with it so you are free to roam the continent, down out of the trees and low bridges...

"Are we there yet?" asked no motorcycle rider, ever. 

• 7 months later...
On 1/21/2018 at 9:44 PM, Gem State Trucker (Don) said:

The plan is to extend the frame and put and put an air ride hitch behind the rear axle.  There us a company in Florida that does the work and sells the hitch.  Then, since I'm going to continue to tow commercial, I'll need to have the pin box on the trailer modified, since the hitch will need to be mounted on the bottom of the frame to clear the commercial kingpin.

Just saw your post. Did you get around to doing this setup? I’m thinking the same way as you. I’d like to still haul but use for my toy hauler too. 

11 hours ago, Slixter said:

Just saw your post. Did you get around to doing this setup? I’m thinking the same way as you. I’d like to still haul but use for my toy hauler too. 

You could try talking to Jack or Marc at http://rvhlifestyles.com/contact/  I’m pretty sure they have done at least one for a customer.  Jack would normally be one of the first guys to help on the forum but since he started the business he must be careful not to be seen promoting the business when responding or risk getting banned.  It is a loss of a resource for the newbie but those that have been around know to contact him directly.  

Nigel

2006 Volvo VNL 430, 2006 smart cabrio cdi, 2000 Triple E Topaz 30'