Attention Visitors and Lurkers - Please Read and Respond to this Request

dieseldan

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 901
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi i am new to this site but have just started to convert a freightliner Cascadia over to pull my 42 foot Cameo 5th wheel I am still in the process of setting this truck up and would really appreciate any help on doing this. my wife of 36 years and I plan to start travelling when we can as we are committed to hosting a campground here in Iowa for 6 months out of the year. 

20201008_124847.jpg

19 minutes ago, Mike Bryan said:

Hi i am new to this site but have just started to convert a freightliner Cascadia over to pull my 42 foot Cameo 5th wheel I am still in the process of setting this truck up and would really appreciate any help on doing this. my wife of 36 years and I plan to start travelling when we can as we are committed to hosting a campground here in Iowa for 6 months out of the year. 

20201008_124847.jpg

Welcome.  There is a wealth of knowledge here, so ask away with any questions you might have.  If you get a chance and are able to attend one of the HDT rallies (East Coast in Tennessee in April, West Cost in Idaho in June, or the National in Kansas in October) you will also learn a lot and get to meet other HDTers in person and see what they have done to their rigs.

2000 Kenworth T2000 w/ Cummins N14 and autoshift
2017 DRV Mobile Suite 40KSSB4 with factory mods, dealer mods and personal mods - now in the RV graveyard
2022 DRV Full House MX450 with customized floor plan
2018 Polaris RZR Turbo S (fits in the garage)
2016 Smart Car (fits in the garage or gets flat towed behind the DRV when the RZR is in the garage)
My First Solar Install Thread
My Second Solar Install Thread & Photos and Documents Related to the build
My MX450's solar, battery and inverter system - my biggest system yet!

chadheiser.com      West Coast HDT Rally Website

event.png    

AZCACOIDIAKSMNMOMTNENVNMNDOKSDTNTXUTWYxlg.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Hi folks, I'm newly retired and want to travel around the country with my wife Jan and our Harley's in tow, preferably in a 5th wheeler. Been traveling the past 6 years hauling them in and enclosed aluminum trailer with my F350 diesel on the east coast and maritime Canada. Now that we have the time to escape for more than a week or 2,  I'm looking to move up to better creature comforts and a softer bed. Along with that a tractor to pull it down the road. I've been looking at MDT's ( Internationals and Freightliners mostly) and recently thinking about a Volvo HDT. It seems to make more sense all the way around. I've run a machine shop for 38 years and pretty handy fabricating just about anything so I'd probably do most of the conversion work on a used tractor myself, still learning though. I'm sure there's some pretty sharp guy's on this forum to gain some more knowledge from which would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance. Regards, Frank Connell 

Welcome!  Be forewarned, we tend to be a bit biased towards pulling with big trucks, for a variety of reasons, mostly safety.  And you'll find examples of every level of rig here, from economy to lavish.  

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN
Lots of old motorcycles, Moto Guzzi Griso and Spyder F3 currently in the front row
Young enough to play in the dirt as a retired farmer.
contact me at rickeieio1@comcast.net

• 2 weeks later...

Welcome to the forum!

If I may suggest, find an RV you like the floor-plan of.  Then figure out the size of truck you would need to pull this truck.  I personally think a luxury RV tends to run a little heavy, most light trucks can't handle that much weight.  You'll notice alot of folks here with bigger/heavier RVs use an HDT to pull their campers.  I run a RAM 3500 dually, my model is rated to little over 18k fully loaded.  That leaves me with a shorter luxury style camper on my next purchase but I'm good with that if we get another 5th wheel.  I've been looking at Class As alot lately with a smaller toad.  You need to decide what works for you, size, weight, what you can handle driving as a daily driver when camped, etc.  Good luck in your searches!

2002 Fifth Avenue RV (RIP) 2015 Ram 3500 Mega-cab DRW(38k miles), 6.7L Cummins Diesel, A668RFE, 3.73, 14,000 GVWR, 5,630 Payload, 27,300 GCWR, 18,460 Max Trailer Weight Rating(For Sale) , living in the frigid north, ND.

• 1 month later...

Just starting to "kick the tires" of joining the RV life.   I currently own a 2006 F250SD w/ 6L Diesel.   I pulled a heavy dual axle trailer for our portable church for about 8 years.   I am about to retire after working in the corporate world for 37 years.   I am currently starting to study 5th wheelers and I already know that I want something larger than a 1-ton truck to pull it.   I love the LGT (Little Girl Truck) acronym.    😎

Best regards,

Russ

• 2 months later...

We're finally about to buy an hdt. We have a 40" Alfa tri-axle fifth wheel we're renovating for a forever home. Friend towed it into its spot with a 1 ton, not gonna get it out with one. I'm from a longtime trucking family it took some convincing to get husband on board, but finally convinced him. Seeing JonesN2travel's set up finally I think won him. Can't wait to have it home.

2005 Alfa SYF38RLES Tri-axle

2006 Mack Vision hi rise

Welcome to the nut house.  And congrats on the Alfa.  They're built like tanks, as are several other older units.

Right now, the used truck market is very limited.  We searched high and low for a newer truck, and had to settle for a KW.😉

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN
Lots of old motorcycles, Moto Guzzi Griso and Spyder F3 currently in the front row

• 4 weeks later...

just discovered this site looking for a 500k volvo780 to pull a momentum 397 was looking for bed options and pix i need one that i can put a smart and 4 seat SxS on a ramp over the smart so stretching wheel base and deleating through axle would like some pix and insite by anyone who has done it

9 hours ago, Travelin Randy said:

just discovered this site looking for a 500k volvo780 to pull a momentum 397 was looking for bed options and pix i need one that i can put a smart and 4 seat SxS on a ramp over the smart so stretching wheel base and deleating through axle would like some pix and insite by anyone who has done it

This page has a list of member names and photos.  The word member probably means member of Escapees.  Click on each name and there will be a photo of the rig.  It might just take awhile.

http://www.hhrvresource.com/lookup-table.html

Kevin and June

2013 Volvo VNL 730    D13 Eco-Torque @ 425  Ratio 2.47 

2014 DRV 36TKSB3 

Signature.jpegmKgUJbbl.jpg

9 hours ago, Travelin Randy said:

You need to do some measuring  and math as I do not think you have the height to do what you want. Bed height is around 48", smart car is around 62", space to under side of ramps for SXS at least 6", ramp thickness around 2-4", puts you at about 10' off the ground leaving only 3'6" for the height of the SXS before you get to the legal height in most states of 13'6".

Edited by Star Dreamer

2005 Freightliner Century S/T, Singled, Air ride ET Jr. hitch
2019 46'+ Dune Sport Man Cave custom 5th wheel toy hauler
Owner of the 1978 Custom Van "Star Dreamer" which might be seen at a local car show near you!

Check out http://www.hhrvresource.com/

for much more info on HDT's.

Been lurking for a few years now.  Have an 07 Ram dually that I pull a boat with.  I have no experience with travel trailers or fifth wheel campers, but grew up with a lot of tent camping.  I've always loved semi-trucks, but life took me in a different direction for work.  I took advantage of not being able to work last year due to COVID and got my CDL, but work called me back.  I'm trying to drive truck very part time.  So far only have one real week under my belt. 

I'd like to get my HDT kicks and go camping at the same time.  I see that Volvos seem to be the most popular.  I only drove one at the truck school practicing backing maneuvers.  I've driven a bunch of KWs and I like them.  They don't seem to turn quite as tight as the Volvo, but the KW T600 and T660 turn pretty tight too.  Requirement for me for a tractor would be set-back front axle (Volvo, KW T6, etc), manual trans, and sleeper that I can install a seat with belts for my daughter, (or maybe install a jack-knife couch).  I know KW had the jack-knife option.  Does anybody know how long a Volvo with sleeper singled short is?  I definitely want to stay under 65' total.

• 2 weeks later...

Hello,

I just joined the forum not long ago. Been thinking about this and then one day I found the forum read a little and joined. It has helped tremendously. I am now very close to making my purchase and then starting the conversion. I will certainly have a lot of questions then. And I will be referencing the HDT Resource Guide.

I am retired from the U.S. Army and currently fly MEDEVAC helicopters. So technically I'm a driver. So why not drive and HDT for recreation? I love camping as well so I guess it all fits. My wife on the other had doesn't really get it. She just says "why?" I say "why not?" hahaha. Anyway, she loves camping too so I will win her over to the dark side. It will be our BIG ADVENTURE that we have earned after many years of many bumps & bruises, and Joy and happiness. 

Let the adventure begin.

Chuck

4 hours ago, Rotorhead said:

Hello,

I just joined the forum not long ago. Been thinking about this and then one day I found the forum read a little and joined. It has helped tremendously. I am now very close to making my purchase and then starting the conversion. I will certainly have a lot of questions then. And I will be referencing the HDT Resource Guide.

I am retired from the U.S. Army and currently fly MEDEVAC helicopters. So technically I'm a driver. So why not drive and HDT for recreation? I love camping as well so I guess it all fits. My wife on the other had doesn't really get it. She just says "why?" I say "why not?" hahaha. Anyway, she loves camping too so I will win her over to the dark side. It will be our BIG ADVENTURE that we have earned after many years of many bumps & bruises, and Joy and happiness. 

Let the adventure begin.

Chuck

Good luck with the process.  If you can, you should try to get to one of the HDT rallies with your wife.  It often helps if an unconvinced wife can talk to others who have been through the process.  The rallies are also a great place to see many different rigs and how they are set up as well as learn what has/has not worked for others in their conversion process.

2000 Kenworth T2000 w/ Cummins N14 and autoshift
2017 DRV Mobile Suite 40KSSB4 with factory mods, dealer mods and personal mods - now in the RV graveyard
2022 DRV Full House MX450 with customized floor plan
2018 Polaris RZR Turbo S (fits in the garage)
2016 Smart Car (fits in the garage or gets flat towed behind the DRV when the RZR is in the garage)
My First Solar Install Thread
My Second Solar Install Thread & Photos and Documents Related to the build
My MX450's solar, battery and inverter system - my biggest system yet!

chadheiser.com      West Coast HDT Rally Website

event.png    

AZCACOIDIAKSMNMOMTNENVNMNDOKSDTNTXUTWYxlg.jpg

On 5/4/2021 at 1:09 AM, Jet-A said:

Been lurking for a few years now.  Have an 07 Ram dually that I pull a boat with.  I have no experience with travel trailers or fifth wheel campers, but grew up with a lot of tent camping.  I've always loved semi-trucks, but life took me in a different direction for work.  I took advantage of not being able to work last year due to COVID and got my CDL, but work called me back.  I'm trying to drive truck very part time.  So far only have one real week under my belt. 

I'd like to get my HDT kicks and go camping at the same time.  I see that Volvos seem to be the most popular.  I only drove one at the truck school practicing backing maneuvers.  I've driven a bunch of KWs and I like them.  They don't seem to turn quite as tight as the Volvo, but the KW T600 and T660 turn pretty tight too.  Requirement for me for a tractor would be set-back front axle (Volvo, KW T6, etc), manual trans, and sleeper that I can install a seat with belts for my daughter, (or maybe install a jack-knife couch).  I know KW had the jack-knife option.  Does anybody know how long a Volvo with sleeper singled short is?  I definitely want to stay under 65' total.

Welcome. Truck lengths vary based on how they were spec but you can make a very short singled Volvo with sleeper as well as other brands. Jack Mayer had one for his first truck and I think he said it was about the same length as his F450 was. Check his website out. Just be aware that you will be limited what you can put on the back of a singled short truck and keep your length under 65'. Alot also depends on what length trailer you go with. We have a 47' trailer, have a Freightliner Century singled short but with a long bed to carry a smart car and we are at 72' long. I have a 20' garage in our Toyhauler, do you could easily shorten the whole set up to get under your 65' limit. Just be sure to plan out your mission profile to include future wants so you can one truck to do what you want. Plan a visit to a rally to be overwhelmed!

2005 Freightliner Century S/T, Singled, Air ride ET Jr. hitch
2019 46'+ Dune Sport Man Cave custom 5th wheel toy hauler
Owner of the 1978 Custom Van "Star Dreamer" which might be seen at a local car show near you!

Check out http://www.hhrvresource.com/

for much more info on HDT's.

On 2/17/2006 at 8:34 AM, dieseldan said:

Retiring next week. We have bought a fifth wheel and will be buying a truck. I’ve been driving all over North America for 30 years. I’ll probably buy a HDT. Just looking for tips. First will be fifth wheel plate. Air bags or no and why?

Anjo

The trailer is yours. 

RV trailers are not a rugged as semi trailers.

I have used air 5th. wheel for 9 of the 11 years FT. The air helps not destroy the RV. It allows the trailer to float.

Big Texan.jpg

event.png

Glyn (KL0PG) & Diane Carson
2002 I-H 4400 Papa's Dream (Mama's Nightmare)
2015 Space Craft V400
Furkid Max

email: dlcarsonak@hotmail.com

We started out with the commercial hitch.  We had a cargo fifth-wheel with living quarter.  Built stout.  Things vibrated loose and items got scattered about.  We switched to an air ride hitch.  Wow.  Life is better.  There's no going back.

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN

I am just joining this site, albeit a little late in the game.

I always had the dream of going full-time and had quite a bit of experience with a bunkhouse travel trailer when kids were growing up. Then, two different motorhomes when we were growing up. My dream was always to have a big 5th wheel with an MDT. When we went full-time (Jan 2020) we bought a New Horizons Majestic 43' with 4 slide-outs (GVWR 26,000lbs) and an F450 King Ranch long bed dually. After driving across country and experiencing the mountains in CO (Wolf Creek Pass) and elsewhere and lugging the steep inclines at 25mph,  smoking brakes on steep, long downhill runs, it scared my wife enough that she agreed that maybe we needed a bigger truck.

I already new I wanted an HDT, but my wife was thinking MDT. Once she rode in an MDT she realized that it was no more comfortable than the F450 and that she didn't want to drive it running errands. At that point, the only other option was the HDT for me with a smart car for her.

I found a converted  2006 Volvo VN630 hauler on a ranch. It is the low sleeper model, D15 Volvo engine with 465hp and 1,650 torque and a 12 speed Eaton automatic transmission. It has an 11' bed and a single rear axle, but is not yet set up for a smart car. I sold my heavy duty 5th wheel hitch with the F450 and the truck only has a gooseneck. After much research and discussions with some experts, I decided to change the 5th wheel pin box on the trailer to a gooseneck adapter. The gooseneck ball on the truck is welded on a base plate with three airbags (identical to the 30,000lb Trailer Saver hitch I had on the F450), one in front and two on rear, so I have air bag comfort on the gooseneck ball.

I decided to go the gooseneck route based on three things. 

1. I knew that any hitch currently on the truck would eventually have to be moved to the very back of the bed in order to fit the smart car. So, if I didn't like the gooseneck setup after traveling around the country for several months, then I could switch back to a 5th wheel hitch when the smart car conversion is done.

2. Initial costs. I figured I saved around $3,000 by going with the gooseneck, between the difference saved on the Gen Y gooseneck hitch versus the Travel Saver 5th wheel hitch, plus removal and install labor for the 5th wheel hitch.

2. My research showed that the gooseneck is at least as good, if not better than towing with the 5th wheel hitch. Some folks have even claimed the mileage improved around 1 mpg.

We are currently stuck in AZ, where we spent the Winter because we had a blowout, the debris from that broke the air valves on the other two tires and caused them to go flat. By the time I found a safe place to pull over on I-10 just S of Phoenix, all the tires were ruined. (They were brand new Goodyear G114 H rated with less than 150 miles on them).

So far, we are loving our HDT and would never go back to anything but. Driving an HDT is not much different than driving the F450 long bed dually. The width is close to the same, the height is no higher than the trailer, so the length is the only real difference. My total length is 27'. Although I would love to be able to afford a new Volvo but I like the idea of no DEF and I saved $100,000+ by buying used. If I found another HDT in my price range and already set up with a smart car between now and the end of summer when we plan to have ours done, I might consider that, but that is not an easy task.

Overall, safety and comfort are the primary values in going HDT. With airbags on the gooseneck ball, dampeners on the gooseneck hitch, air on both axles, air cab and air seats, we are comfortable and smooth. With the large air brakes on the truck plus the trailer brakes, stopping power is never the issue. Life is good.