Is This Site Slowly Going By The Wayside?

I was just looking down the list of the various forums here and many don't have any recent posts. This doesn't seem like a RVing forum anymore.   I would hope that this doesn't gradually fade away.  🤥

Full-timed for 16 Years
Traveled 8 yr in a 2004 Newmar Dutch Star 40' Motorhome
and 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

3 hours ago, 2gypsies said:

I was just looking down the list of the various forums here and many don't have any recent posts. This doesn't seem like a RVing forum anymore.   I would hope that this doesn't gradually fade away.  🤥

I hope it doesn’t fade away either. It’s been very helpful. 

I admit I don't check in as often as I used to. I don't check into most of the other forums as much, either. I do check into the Grand Design owners' forum daily, though, because that's what I own now.

I suspect that several years ago there weren't as many brand-specific forums, so general forums such as this one were more useful.

David Lininger, kb0zke
1993 Foretravel U300 40' (sold)
2022 Grand Design Reflection 315RLTS

It would be interesting to know the average age of forum users, by year and type of device they prefer.   I suspect todays technologies interest younger people more than we older folks. The have instant communication at their fingertips via facebook, twitter, etc.; and from my observations very few use a desktop computer today, mostly they use a smart phone.

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA ." And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you--ask what you can do for your country.  John F. Kennedy 20 Jan 1961

The younger folks don't use this type of forum and us older folks are slowing down with many coming off the road. I think we are in a transition period similar to that of going from horse & buggy to automobile. I am glad there were a lot of active people here when we were just moving into full timing way back in 2008.

Linda

Blog: http://sandcastle.sandsys.org/

Former Rigs: Liesure Travel van, Winnebago View 24H, Winnebago Journey 34Y, Sportsmobile Sprinter conversion van

All the younger folks are transitioning to Facebook or Twitter based groups rather than the web-based forums.  I much prefer the simplicity of forums like this, but I have noticed all of these forums are slowly declining.

The Facebook type groups are not well organized like the forum-based sites.  Yeas I am getting older, but I will continue to use the forums until one of us dies.  I am 76 years old.

Ken

Amateur radio operator, 2023 Cougar 22MLS, 2022 F150 Lariat 4x4 Off Road, Sport trim <br />Travel with 1 miniature schnauzer, 1 standard schnauzer and one African Gray parrot

11 hours ago, Ray,IN said:

It would be interesting to know the average age of forum users, by year and type of device they prefer.  

I'm old enough that social media doesn't meet my needs, you have to be on everyday to keep current and then someone to argue.

On age, I would like to know what age people planted their feet. My wife and I hope to make mid 80's before drive a stake in the ground and say this home.

Clay and Marcie

Clay & Marcie Too old to play in the snow

Diesel pusher and previously 2 FW and small Class C

14 hours ago, TXiceman said:

All the younger folks are transitioning to Facebook or Twitter based groups rather than the web-based forums.  I much prefer the simplicity of forums like this, but I have noticed all of these forums are slowly declining.

The Facebook type groups are not well organized like the forum-based sites.  Yeas I am getting older, but I will continue to use the forums until one of us dies.  I am 76 years old.

Ken

Me 2.

RV/Derek
http://www.rvroadie.com Email on the bottom of my website page.
Retired AF 1971-1998

When you see a worthy man, endeavor to emulate him. When you see an unworthy man, look inside yourself. - Confucius

“Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.” ... Voltaire

My 2 cents? When we started these forums as they are today, ~23 years ago we gave virtual SKP hugs and real ones in the parks. The early days for me were filled with encouragement and camaraderie. SKPs helped me get started. I felt I owed passing it on. Today it is a minefield compared to then. I only find it tolerable today after blocking some folks.

We used to care more for each other than today. Sign of the times. I'll keep posting informative and factual posts for the 30 or so friends I still have here. I enjoy tracking this transition to EVs. Lots of opportunities.

We used to be a major resource. Even the "clique" here is falling apart. I don't have time like before. And yes I'm getting older. I think I'm going to not write my website and pay for it anymore.

I'll still be here when friends look to visit or ask questions I might be able to help with.or a new member posts and got answers but no welcomes on their first posts.

We hit our peak when Mark Nemeth was running the forums. It's been going downhill ever since in my opinion. Still lots of great folks here. Maybe we can be grateful for our adventures past, present and yet to come.

SKP hugz!

Edited by RV_

RV/Derek
Retired AF 1971-1998

When you see a worthy man, endeavor to emulate him. When you see an unworthy man, look inside yourself. - Confucius

“Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.” ... Voltaire

Failure to keep up with technology may be part of the problem.
I see two retarded areas: 

1) Can't load photos larger 2.83 kB 
2) Forum isn't cell phone friendly

Digital storage is very, very cheap.
Failure to be cell phone friendly will choke a website

As the older tech users age out, potential new users will find their way on handheld devices.
Facts of life. . .

Lance-white-sands-500.jpg

~Rich

3 hours ago, justRich said:

Failure to keep up with technology may be part of the problem.
I see two retarded areas: 

1) Can't load photos larger 2.83 kB 
2) Forum isn't cell phone friendly

Digital storage is very, very cheap.
Failure to be cell phone friendly will choke a website

As the older tech users age out, potential new users will find their way on handheld devices.
Facts of life. . .

This! This right here. ^^^

I have 5 personal domains and aside from the cost of the domains themselves the plan I have offers up to 250,000 files with unlimited storage, unlimited bandwidth, unlimited MySQL, unlimited PostgreSQL, unlimited emails..... you can see a trend here with the unlimited stuff and I pay $115/year. The same company offers a commercial plan which offers a much higher file limit and is hosted on high capacity, super high speed servers for about $275/year. 

Invision Community which powers this site shows that they have cell phone friendly options. 

I see no excuse why this site can't be dragged into the 2020's to suit the capabilities and devices of all users.

SignatureNewest.jpg.a1bc8322b0862056fd28e25d5b1458db.jpg

Oh my, how true.  It's been going to the wayside for the past several years on content.   Probably for many reasons besides the younger generation tech needs mentioned above using handhelds etc and screen size versions to match.   Plus of course the interest with the younger generations of Escapades/working on the road more concentrated forums/FB pages etc.

So many folks I used to absolutely value their input just aren't on here any more.   Some because they've come off the road totally or aged out and have other priorities in their lives and some because of sadly "derogatory or condescending and yes argumentative" comments posted by others.   There went through a phase I recall on here (been reading this forum since the late 90's IIRC), where some innocent person would post something genuine looking for help with and there would be "matriarch" type responses that weren't very complimentary to the poster (happened more than once to myself in earlier years and still does on occasion in other forums).   Treating people sometimes like idiots doesn't encourage them to stay or become long time contributors.

The other issue in the past longest time, has been the lack of content variety.   Not everyone is into the HDT's or Tesla (no disrespect), but oftentimes any few new posts become heavy on one subject matter, and for those that can't relate they just fly by and go to another.   I used to also check on RV.net but disabled my account after a long term subscriber was down and out nasty in a response = I know I'm not alone in having done that.   That forum also seems to have become less and less active as well.    So a few years ago joined IRV2.com because of a particular member's great posts.   Alas he's disappeared now, and also sometimes folks that can't help themselves post negatively about or to the person asking a question or putting a thoughtful type post out about considerations or asking others experiences.   As with all forums, some folks just can't help themselves from being condescending at times, and others go off on a different argumentative tangent from the OP and then moderators (not always) most often take the sides of the longer term poster irrespective of them maybe needing a slap on the wrist so to speak.

I personally miss Stan who left a handful years ago now.   BarbaraOK (she helped me so much with tech stuff set ups etc as well as very sage advice at times on most things FT RVing).    Kirk I still value his commentary today and how he started a handful of threads of various topics to encourage participation, Chad Heiser for tech help in the past and some others.   Escapees "long timers" have been of immense help to me over the years and I thank each and everyone that has helped so many people sharing your knowledge and experience relevant to the subject matter and throwing in some other considerations pertinent at times that hadn't been thought about by the OP.

Forums would be so much more active and remain so, if "everyone" (that'll clearly never happen) learned to "be nice" and thoughtful in their responses to encourage new members to hang around a bit.   More members would equal more variety of subjects coming back into play and so the story goes.   There's still a lot of folks in their late 40's, 50's and onwards that still enjoy forums (we are not all millennials).   It's just not very encouraging to join as a member when you read some snarky or sharp responses.   Again not just on Escapees but IRV2 and RVnet and I'm sure many others I don't know about.

With the right attitude and thoughtful responses, any of these forums could be raised back to some of their former glory.   None of us are perfect but maybe a little more forethought before we click send.

YMMV, but these are just the rambling thoughts of an ex-high speed typist with too much time on her hands.   LOL.

Happy and Safe Travels always to everyone of you still hitting the roads and to those that continue to contribute meaningfully to threads THANK YOU :)

Edited by FULLTIMEWANABE

Good points all. Bye.

RV/Derek
Retired AF 1971-1998

8 hours ago, FULLTIMEWANABE said:

Yes, the tech has become dated, but FULLTIMEWANABE hit the nail right on the head - the tone of this forum doesn't encourage participation.  

I'm active on several other forums and, in fact, was a sysop long before there was a public internet, and have observed that it is the administrator - or the lack of an administrator - that sets the tone for a forum.  Its the administrator/moderator who gently keeps everyone polite and friendly.

Bottom line is that this forum has, and is, suffering from a severe lack of attention.  Escapees might as well turn out the lights and save the cost of domain registration if they're not going to take care of this forum.  

A good forum is almost a living, breathing, being with a personality and this forum is on life support.

John, Jean and Mea the Super Springer Spaniel
2019 Entegra Aspire 44B
2022 Jeep Cherokee TrailHawk

On 7/7/2023 at 12:20 AM, RV_ said:

We hit our peak when Mark Nemeth was running the forums. It's been going downhill ever since in my opinion. Still lots of great folks here. Maybe we can be grateful for our adventures past, present and yet to come.

I've heard that from other sources as well.  That said, other forums I participate in, and moderate, are shrinking too.  The "instant gratification" mentality doesn't fit when many of us don't check in often.  I've noticed many times that someone new asks a question, but never comes back to see the answer.

Unfortunately, some folks come to a forum (not just here) expecting to be spoon fed info rather than educating themselves.  It's sort of like we're having a pitch-in picnic, and someone just shows up with an empty plate and barges to the head of the line.  You tolerate it for a bit, but when they keep coming back......

I've not been here nearly as long as some of you, and I really appreciate being able to learn so much from y'all.  Thank you.

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN
Lots of old motorcycles, Moto Guzzi Griso and Spyder F3 currently in the front row
Young enough to play in the dirt as a retired farmer.
contact me at rickeieio1@comcast.net

15 hours ago, Hill_Country said:

Its the administrator/moderator who gently keeps everyone polite and friendly.

Bottom line is that this forum has, and is, suffering from a severe lack of attention.  Escapees might as well turn out the lights and save the cost of domain registration if they're not going to take care of this forum.  

A good forum is almost a living, breathing, being with a personality and this forum is on life support.

Well said.

RV/Derek
Retired AF 1971-1998

3 hours ago, rickeieio said:

I've not been here nearly as long as some of you, and I really appreciate being able to learn so much from y'all.  Thank you.

That's why I started here. Gratitude for all the help we received when we were noobs before and after the forums went up~ 1999/2000. I still pay it forward. Here or elsewhere. Life is too short to feed the trolls. Or let them drag us down to their level on the Internet.

I'd like to add my thanks to our founders the Petersons for their love and kindness and hope they spread here and wherever they went. Kay reinforced the good and camaraderie and brought out the best in us.

I appreciate those still here who still do.

I'll keep passing that along as long as I breathe. We each have much to be grateful for in this group. We live the dream for however long, and if we are lucky, make some real friends in the process.

SKP hugs!

Safe Travels!

RV/Derek
Retired AF 1971-1998

Many forums die when folks hide behind a computer screen and shoot off at the mouth/keyboard. Its the same on most forums and social media. I recently left my favourite forum simply because I was targeted by one idiot. I'm not the only one leaving internet social sites. It's simply a part of the evolution of today's world.

8 minutes ago, bruce t said:

i'm not the only one leaving internet social sites. It's simply a part of the evolution of today's world.

Part of that is the move towards minimalism. It teaches people to simplify their lives so they can dedicate their resources towards the things that have the most meaning for them For most of us that means RVing in one form or another. That's why I am a supporter of the Homes On Wheels Alliance; they teach nearly broke people how to RV cheaply and they provide physical and monetary support when they can. For those people, being able to leave the stresses of city living can be a lifesaver.

Linda

Blog: http://sandcastle.sandsys.org/

Former Rigs: Liesure Travel van, Winnebago View 24H, Winnebago Journey 34Y, Sportsmobile Sprinter conversion van

On 7/6/2023 at 12:29 AM, sandsys said:

The younger folks don't use this type of forum and us older folks are slowing down with many coming off the road. I think we are in a transition period similar to that of going from horse & buggy to automobile. I am glad there were a lot of active people here when we were just moving into full timing way back in 2008.

Linda

Didn't Escapees create a new website or other type site (excapeers?) for younger members a several years ago? What was the expectation, for those younger members to transition here as they age?

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA ." And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you--ask what you can do for your country.  John F. Kennedy 20 Jan 1961

2 hours ago, Ray,IN said:

Didn't Escapees create a new website or other type site (excapeers?) for younger members a several years ago? What was the expectation, for those younger members to transition here as they age?

I would guess the Xscapers will age together as a group.  They have made new friends there and I wouldn't expect them to move to this forum.  That is a very active group - lots of interesting rallies and gettogethers. 

Full-timed for 16 Years
Traveled 8 yr in a 2004 Newmar Dutch Star 40' Motorhome
and 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel