Is there some sort of accumulator system I can set up to compensate for my campground's poor city water pressure?

Hi all, I am staying long term in a campground that constantly has water issues, either the water is being shut off to repair leaks or the pressure gets very low. This is not an issue on my end - the low pressure affects all the residents. I am using a water pressure regulator, but it is one of the more expensive ones that is designed to not restrict when water pressure is low.

It seems obvious by now that the campground isn't going to implement a permanent solution, so I was wondering if there is some sort of accumulator system I could install outdoors (ideally right next to the faucet) that collects water as a buffer to maintain pressure when the campground is having low water pressure. Any suggestions are appreciated!

Until they fix the issues, were it me, I would sanitize my freshwater tank and use it and the onboard water pump as it provides, or should provide good pressure inside.

There are water pressure boosters on the market that are pricey.

Before spending anything I would test the pressure with and without the pressure regulator on it. They can fail too.

As well if you have a dual filter system between your hose and the RV water inlet make sure they are not the problem by testing with and without them in-line.

Edited by RV_

RV/Derek
http://www.rvroadie.com Email on the bottom of my website page.
Retired AF 1971-1998

When you see a worthy man, endeavor to emulate him. When you see an unworthy man, look inside yourself. - Confucius

“Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.” ... Voltaire

2 hours ago, TrailerHomestead said:

It seems obvious by now that the campground isn't going to implement a permanent solution, so I was wondering if there is some sort of accumulator system I could install outdoors (ideally right next to the faucet) that collects water as a buffer to maintain pressure when the campground is having low water pressure.

The only way that would work if if you also installed a pump to force the water into the accumulator. They work by having a bladder that is pressurized with air, usually to around 45-50# when empty and then the pump pushes water into the tank until the compressing of the bladder reaches a pressure of about 65# or so. The thing then operates on a pressure switch that can be adjusted to some extent but they typically have about a 15# pressure swing from where the pump turns on to recharge the tank to the shut off pressure. The least expensive that I found in a quick search will cost about $180 from Harbor Freight, plus the plumbing parts and installation.  Basically it would use a well system. Those are quite expensive and probably would not be well accepted by the park management. 

A much better solution would be to operate from your fresh water tank using the onboard pump as you already have that available and the park should have no objections. 

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

Yes, an accumulator tank can help maintain water pressure during low pressure periods in the campground. An accumulator tank is a pressure vessel that holds a volume of water and air, and can help regulate water pressure by providing a buffer of stored water that can be used when the incoming water pressure drops.

To install an accumulator tank, you'll need to connect it to your water supply line. You'll want to install it as close to your water source as possible, ideally right next to the faucet. You can use a tee fitting to connect the accumulator tank to the water supply line, and then connect the faucet to the other end of the tee fitting.

When the campground water pressure is high, the accumulator tank will fill up with water and compress the air inside. When the water pressure drops, the accumulator tank will release some of the stored water to maintain a constant pressure. This can help prevent your water pressure regulator from having to work as hard, and can help maintain a more consistent water pressure.

It's important to note that the size of the accumulator tank you'll need will depend on your water usage and the frequency and severity of the low pressure issues in the campground. You'll want to choose a tank that can hold enough water to maintain pressure for an extended period of time, but not so large that it becomes impractical to install or maintain.

4 hours ago, RV_ said:

Until they fix the issues, were it me, I would sanitize my freshwater tank and use it and the onboard water pump as it provides, or should provide good pressure inside.

There are water pressure boosters on the market that are pricey.

Before spending anything I would test the pressure with and without the pressure regulator on it. They can fail too.

As well if you have a dual filter system between your hose and the RV water inlet make sure they are not the problem by testing with and without them in-line.

Exactly!  The OP already has an accumulator tank, it is the RV fresh water tank.

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA ." And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you--ask what you can do for your country.  John F. Kennedy 20 Jan 1961

We've been in locations quite often with poor water pressure and just turn on the pump when needed.  Every coupe days I will go out and refill the fresh water tank when we are long term in those situations.  That's where the RV is really nice, also when water is turned off for whatever reason.

First thing I do when I pull into a new park is to fill the onboard water tank. Don't use it unless needed until the last week or so I'm there. At times I have used the pump to augment the pressure. 

Maybe what the OP is asking is if there is a way to diminish the cycling of the pump. I sure would like to do that. I turn on the dishwasher if I'm just using my stored water and the pump cycles at least a dozen times filling the small drawer. At times I take a shower at the same time to just keep the pump running or I'll fill  a couple containers with water to use later. An accumulator or pressure tank is said to decrease the cycling of the water pump. Haven't found one I like yet. 

Rod 

White 2000/2010Volvo VNL 770 with 7' Drom box with opposing doors,  JOST slider hitch. 600 HP Cummins Signature 18 Speed three pedal auto shift.

1999 Isuzu VehiCross retired to a sticks and bricks garage. Brought out of storage the summer of 2022

2022 Jeep Wrangler Sport S Two door hard top.

2007 Honda GL 1800

2013 Space Craft Mfg S420 Custom built Toyhauler

The Gold Volvo is still running and being emptied in July. 

1 hour ago, lappir said:

First thing I do when I pull into a new park is to fill the onboard water tank. Don't use it unless needed until the last week or so I'm there. At times I have used the pump to augment the pressure. 

Maybe what the OP is asking is if there is a way to diminish the cycling of the pump. I sure would like to do that. I turn on the dishwasher if I'm just using my stored water and the pump cycles at least a dozen times filling the small drawer. At times I take a shower at the same time to just keep the pump running or I'll fill  a couple containers with water to use later. An accumulator or pressure tank is said to decrease the cycling of the water pump. Haven't found one I like yet. 

Rod 

We have a 2 gallon accumulator tank I purchased at Lowes years ago for about $50 as I recall. It works very well for both reducing the pump cycling and stabilizing the water pressure. It's not uncommon that we can go all night with the usual old age bathroom visits without the pump running at all. In our case, installation was pretty easy since there was room enough in the water pay for the tank in a location where it was convenient to the water line feed from the pump. 

Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F-53 Chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/brake system

12 minutes ago, Dutch_12078 said:

It works very well for both reducing the pump cycling and stabilizing the water pressure.

I also use an accumulator and agree that they work well, but they do not and can not increase the pressure of the city water supply as the OP was asking. 

32 minutes ago, Kirk W said:

I also use an accumulator and agree that they work well, but they do not and can not increase the pressure of the city water supply as the OP was asking. 

That's correct of course, but combining the accumulator and pump with the city water supply as has been suggested, does make the situation much better. I've found that an accumulator is also helpful when a park has good pressure but low flow. The pressure builds up in the accumulator to help balance out the low flow without running the pump. 

Dutch

On 3/6/2023 at 4:48 PM, Anawilliam850 said:

To install an accumulator tank, you'll need to connect it to your water supply line. You'll want to install it as close to your water source as possible, ideally right next to the faucet. You can use a tee fitting to connect the accumulator tank to the water supply line, and then connect the faucet to the other end of the tee fitting.

You'll also need a one way valve between the accumulator tank and the incoming water line or the higher pressure in the accumulator will just backfeed into the incoming line until it's pressure matches the supply pressure.   Your RV has such a valve inside the fresh water inlet, which is why water doesn't come out when you are disconnected from shore water.

Even then, you'll only have higher pressure until the accumulator tank is emptied.  Usually they only hold a couple of gallons unless you get a larger one designed for a well pump.

If it was me, I'd just use the RV's water tank and pump to supplement the shore water pressure when needed.

Edited by Lou Schneider

Your best solution is to fill your freshwater tank and use your pump to operate off the tank.

Ken

Amateur radio operator, 2023 Cougar 22MLS, 2022 F150 Lariat 4x4 Off Road, Sport trim <br />Travel with 1 miniature schnauzer, 1 standard schnauzer and one African Gray parrot

TH, the problem is while indeed a pressure accumulator works, IT WOULD TAKE ONE HUGE VOLUME ACCUMULATOR to produce any long term help and if the parks pressure is low to start with that's not a solution either. One park I stay in has water outages now n then and/or occasional low pressure, so I keep my fresh water tanks filled and my 55 PSI pump and small onboard accumulator get me by fine.

John T  Retired Engineer NOT a Plumber so see what those professional have to say

9 hours ago, Lou Schneider said:

You'll also need a one way valve between the accumulator tank and the incoming water line or the higher pressure in the accumulator will just backfeed into the incoming line until it's pressure matches the supply pressure.   Your RV has such a valve inside the fresh water inlet, which is why water doesn't come out when you are disconnected from shore water.

Even then, you'll only have higher pressure until the accumulator tank is emptied.  Usually they only hold a couple of gallons unless you get a larger one designed for a well pump.

If it was me, I'd just use the RV's water tank and pump to supplement the shore water pressure when needed.

As I'm sure you know, Lou, RV city water inlets typically include a check valve that prevents water from back feeding in to the source.

Dutch

3 hours ago, Dutch_12078 said:

As I'm sure you know, Lou, RV city water inlets typically include a check valve that prevents water from back feeding in to the source.

Right, and I pointed that out in my post.   The  OP was asking about putting an accumulator tank outside the RV, which would need a one way valve to prevent pressure from bleeding back into the shore feed.

Edited by Lou Schneider

On 3/6/2023 at 12:41 PM, TrailerHomestead said:

It seems obvious by now that the campground isn't going to implement a permanent solution, so I was wondering if there is some sort of accumulator system I could install outdoors (ideally right next to the faucet) that collects water as a buffer to maintain pressure when the campground is having low water pressure. Any suggestions are appreciated!

7 hours ago, Lou Schneider said:

Right, and I pointed that out in my post.   The  OP was asking about putting an accumulator tank outside the RV, which would need a one way valve to prevent pressure from bleeding back into the shore feed.

Sorry Lou, I needed to re-read your post to see what I missed. Old age I guess...

Dutch

On 3/6/2023 at 12:03 PM, RV_ said:

X2.

While we were boondockers, on those rare times we stayed in an RV park, we continued to run off our fresh water tank and water pump.  

LindaH
2014 Winnebago Aspect 27K
2011 Kia Soul

There is a way to accomplish increasing CG water pressure into the RV. Use a booster pump near the city water inlet inside the RV. That one is rated at 5gpm/55psi.

The downside is, during periods of extremely low water pressure your neighbors will suffer even more while your booster pump is drawing city water to maintain yours.

Edited by Ray,IN

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA ." And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you--ask what you can do for your country.  John F. Kennedy 20 Jan 1961

22 hours ago, Ray,IN said:

There is a way to accomplish increasing CG water pressure into the RV. Use a booster pump near the city water inlet inside the RV. That one is rated at 5gpm/55psi.

The downside is, during periods of extremely low water pressure your neighbors will suffer even more while your booster pump is drawing city water to maintain yours.

I certainly would not want to put a suction device on a city water source, you never know what could be sucked loose in some of those maybe 100 year old pipes, or maybe the reason for the low pressure is a leak and you are drawing stuff that has escaped back into the system. There is a reason for the "Boil Water Order" when a water main breaks. 

Rod

Edited by lappir
added not

White 2000/2010Volvo VNL 770 with 7' Drom box with opposing doors,  JOST slider hitch. 600 HP Cummins Signature 18 Speed three pedal auto shift.

1999 Isuzu VehiCross retired to a sticks and bricks garage. Brought out of storage the summer of 2022

2022 Jeep Wrangler Sport S Two door hard top.

2007 Honda GL 1800

2013 Space Craft Mfg S420 Custom built Toyhauler

The Gold Volvo is still running and being emptied in July. 

3 hours ago, lappir said:

I certainly would want to put a suction device on a city water source, you never know what could be sucked loose in some of those maybe 100 year old pipes, or maybe the reason for the low pressure is a leak and you are drawing stuff that has escaped back into the system. There is a reason for the "Boil Water Order" when a water main breaks. 

Rod

👍 I totally forgot that most important fact. Good catch! I knew you meant to type "wouldn't" instead of would.

Edited by Ray,IN

I have actually been using this pump for the past 6 months with great success.  My engineering mind can't figure how why it would work, since there is no accumulator, but it somehow takes poor incoming water pressure and makes it much much better.  I'll consider it magic as long as it works!  https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07J43CWC3/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

2 hours ago, dartmouth01 said:

I'll consider it magic as long as it works! 

I am sure it must be as the specs read, "Max Pressure: 1.5bar (21.7 PSI)." Most RV pumps are set to 45# or a little more.

40 minutes ago, Kirk W said:

I am sure it must be as the specs read, "Max Pressure: 1.5bar (21.7 PSI)." Most RV pumps are set to 45# or a little more.

This one is working inline of the city water (I dont have onboard water due to a leak in the tank).  Would a standard RV pump work the same way if placed in the city water line?