Check this YouTube video out

runaway parents

In my state of Nebraska a farmer has basically no DOT rules. These rules came out of the Nebraska truck information guide.

Although the operator of a covered farm vehicle is not required to hold a CDL to operate
a vehicle within the scope of the covered farm vehicle exemptions, a Nebraska operator is
still required to have a valid Class O license and be at least 18 year of age if the covered
farm vehicle is a truck-tractor/semitrailer combination. 

Under this law, operators of covered farm vehicles may utilize the following exemptions
from the Federal Regulations:

ï‚· No CDL is required (exemption from Part 383)
ï‚· No enrollment and testing in a company-based controlled substance and alcohol
testing program are required (exemption from Part 382)

ï‚· No physical examination and Medical Examiner's Certificate are needed
(exemption from Part 391, subpart E)

ï‚· Hours of service regulations do not apply (exemption from Part 395)

On top of this they are not required to have a yearly DOT safety  inspection

Now that is scary pulling 80000# by a 18 year old kid.

2002 Beaver Marquis Emerald   C-12 Cat 505 HP

2014 Volvo 630 D-13 I Shift SOLD

2017 New Horizons SOLD

The above is true in many states.  I was driving a loaded grain truck when i was 16.  BUT, in al likely hood, that 18 y/o kid has been operating even bigger equipment in the fields for several years, and they're doing so on country roads.  

What's even scarier is that in most states, sa senior citizen who's never driven anything bigger than a minivan can hop in a motorhome, or road tractor pulling a fifth wheel, and barrel through heavy traffic.

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN
Lots of old motorcycles, Moto Guzzi Griso and Spyder F3 currently in the front row
Young enough to play in the dirt as a retired farmer.
contact me at rickeieio1@comcast.net

5 hours ago, rickeieio said:

The above is true in many states.  I was driving a loaded grain truck when i was 16.  BUT, in al likely hood, that 18 y/o kid has been operating even bigger equipment in the fields for several years, and they're doing so on country roads.  

What's even scarier is that in most states, sa senior citizen who's never driven anything bigger than a minivan can hop in a motorhome, or road tractor pulling a fifth wheel, and barrel through heavy traffic.

That is scary we see it all the time, even in the campground you see people who you know there reflexes are slower speeding through and not looking to see what’s around. We see the new truck drivers who have their cdl driving like idiots on the highway. A cdl means you can pass a test not be a safe driver after the test

I knew this would bring up the age debate. I will say I know a farm family where one young member 20 years flipped a sprayer and clipped a car with his blade.  His cousin layed a semi on its side pulling out of a field.

When I was in business I was required the do a DOT safety inspection on all my trucks with GVW over 10001. Yet trucks with farm plates running 80000# are exempt. The youtube was about safety so there should be no exempt in safety.

2002 Beaver Marquis Emerald   C-12 Cat 505 HP

2014 Volvo 630 D-13 I Shift SOLD

2017 New Horizons SOLD

1 hour ago, Danfreda1 said:

even in the campground you see people who you know there reflexes are slower speeding through and not looking to see what’s around

How did you come to conclude that this comment is AGE related?  There are other reasons that people have comprimised reflexes albeit age is one of the reasons as well, and we all do well to be honest about our own circumstances as to our ability to drive safely.

Marcel

I'm not defending the laws that exempt farmers, or rv'ers.  I'm just pointing out that the requirements are not consistent.  In my mind, one should have to pass a driving test in a class of vehicle to have the license for that class.  Allowing someone with a passenger car license to operate a grain truck, or a commercial truck, is ludicrous.

So, you want them to crack down on farmers, you should be willing to suffer the same scrutiny.

BTW, sprayers don't have "blades".🙂

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN
Lots of old motorcycles, Moto Guzzi Griso and Spyder F3 currently in the front row
Young enough to play in the dirt as a retired farmer.
contact me at rickeieio1@comcast.net

Tend to agree, albeit my grandmother never took a driving test and drove legally for decades in the UK!   Oh the good ole days eh?  It's not just vehicles but many many areas in life that there's total inconsistency.

Hubby, Daughter and I operated our Seadoo's and pleasure boats for many years so had "experience", then they mandated several years back to continue using them we needed to pass our pleasure craft licenses (not a walk in the park at the time either!) which we did so.   Yet ........ someone who hardly ever if ever has driven one on the water can rent same, do a tick questionnaire that's a joke and there and then jump on like a lunatic causing havoc before even out of the "no wake" zone.  

The general problem on many counts is not following the same rule mandates consistently in all walks of life.   Instead it always feels as if it's "one rule for one and another rule for someone else", and we wonder why we deal with the issues we do in today's society?

16 hours ago, rpsinc said:

How did you come to conclude that this comment is AGE related?  There are other reasons that people have comprimised reflexes albeit age is one of the reasons as well, and we all do well to be honest about our own circumstances as to our ability to drive safely.

You’re right I shouldn’t have made the age comment as there are other reasons about reflexes than age. 

Wow did this topic go off the rails or what? Okay guys and gals the point I was trying to make was. Don't be a hack and do crappy work like this. If you can't weld any better than this . Get somebody who can. I'm not trying to say I'm the best welder in the world but I could do this good with my eyes closed. I don't know how anybody can sleep at night knowing they put something like this on the road. Even if it's a piece of farm equipment. Take pride in your work.

Agree my welding looks like volcano vomit but I could do that good.

Edited by SuiteSuccess

2006 Volvo 780 "Hoss" Volvo D12, 465hp, 1650 ft/lbs tq., ultrashift

Bed Build by "JW Morgan's Custom Welding"

2017 DRV 39DBRS3

2013 Smart Passion Coupe "Itty Bitty"

"Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first!"

5 hours ago, runaway parents said:

Wow did this topic go off the rails or what? Okay guys and gals the point I was trying to make was. Don't be a hack and do crappy work like this. If you can't weld any better than this . Get somebody who can. I'm not trying to say I'm the best welder in the world but I could do this good with my eyes closed. I don't know how anybody can sleep at night knowing they put something like this on the road. Even if it's a piece of farm equipment. Take pride in your work.

It's on the very same rails that you put it on.

I'm a work'n on it.

State DOT can perform spot inspects even on "F" Plates here, Unsafe is still Unsafe and fines/required repairs do stand in court.  Seen people hack up and manage to run nonsense as in the YT Vid usually not lasting long before something fails and all hecky durn breaks loose, LEOs love those insurers despise them.

You have to have the right shop to do the work. We had a farm truck burn the back half in the field fire. The shop that got the work couldn't find the right size frame, so they patched back together with 2 different sizes. Then welded the axles solid to the frame. After fighting with them and insurance we had to get it fixed right and paid every penny out of pocket. The right shop had to cut the frame behind the cab and go back with all new. 

I can't find pictures right now but the garbage work this shop did will blow your mind. 

Farmer, Trucker, Equipment operator, Mechanic

Quando omni flunkus moritati-When all else fails, play dead
I'm a man, but I can change, if I have to, I guess.