Senior Moment

rickeieio

Grand kids just left, so Grandma's doing dishes.  She tells me the garbage disposal won't work, so I go out to the garage and get a couple of tools of Brute Force.  Yup, a broken hatchet handle and the shaft from and rotisserie should do nicely.  Go to the kitchen sink and peer into the hole, see the hammers are clean.  Motor just hums.  Use the hatchet handle and free it up, get it turning pretty freely and throw the juice to it.  Much clanging and banging ensue.  DW reaches down yonder and comes up with a shiny metal wedge..............  Yep the wedge out of that broken hatchet handle.

That's my screw-up for the day.  Time for bed before I do more damage.

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN
Lots of old motorcycles, Moto Guzzi Griso and Spyder F3 currently in the front row
Young enough to play in the dirt as a retired farmer.
contact me at rickeieio1@comcast.net

2 hours ago, Darryl&Rita said:

Y'all know an Allen key fits in the bottom end, outside, right?

Yeah, like the wrench on the top of the Bridgeport, don’t forget and leave it there.  Don’t ask how I know those both….

Kevin and June

2013 Volvo VNL 730    D13 Eco-Torque @ 425  Ratio 2.47 

2014 DRV 36TKSB3 

Signature.jpegmKgUJbbl.jpg

No, I didn't know about the Allen key, but about half the time this crops up, it's because there's something jammed inside, thus my wooden "stick".  The other half of the time, it's just stuck from lack of use, as was the case last evening.

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN
Lots of old motorcycles, Moto Guzzi Griso and Spyder F3 currently in the front row

City folks don't always have a wooden stick handy, so they added a throw away wrench to the package. Sell for a higher price, that way, and increases the sales of the throw away wrench.

I have been wrong before, I'll probably be wrong again. 

2000 Kenworth T 2000 w/N-14 and 10 speed Gen1 Autoshift, deck built by Star Fabrication
2006 smart fourtwo cdi cabriolet
2007 32.5' Fleetwood Quantum

Please e-mail us here.

2 hours ago, jkoenig24 said:

As long as nobody was injured, it wasn't that bad of a day (no, bruised egos don't count).  ;)

John, my battered ego is toughened up from scar tissue.  I now offer up my blunders a lessons for those who follow.  Hopefully I can keep someone else from looking stoop-ped.

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN

Yesterday I had new steer tires installed on our truck.

Wrote them a check, while not having my closeup glasses on. They took the check. I said thank you and walked out the door.

They called today said ( senior moment) happened. I did not write the check out properly. DW went in and handed them a proper check.

Not a completed project Rick unless there is a blood sacrifice.

2006 Volvo 780 "Hoss" Volvo D12, 465hp, 1650 ft/lbs tq., ultrashift

Bed Build by "JW Morgan's Custom Welding"

2017 DRV 39DBRS3

2013 Smart Passion Coupe "Itty Bitty"

"Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first!"

3 hours ago, GlennWest said:

Been so long since I wrote a check I would likely do same

I wrote one yesterday to the place I use for small RV repairs.  They charge extra for credit cards, so I search out the checkbook and write them a check.  Hard to remember how to do it!

Sandie & Joel

2000 40' Beaver Patriot Thunder Princeton--425 HP/1550 ft-lbs CAT C-12
2014 Honda CR-V AWD EX-L with ReadyBrute tow bar/brake system
WiFiRanger Ambassador
Follow our adventures on Facebook at Weiss Travels

Our checks have a printed address that is six years out of date. I know that because I just dug the checkbook out to look. On the rare occasion when I write a check, I can paste a return address label over the old address if I think to do it.

Linda

Blog: http://sandcastle.sandsys.org/

Former Rigs: Liesure Travel van, Winnebago View 24H, Winnebago Journey 34Y, Sportsmobile Sprinter conversion van

I bought a used car a few weeks ago, I didn't know if I could write the large number in the short space, so I asked the young acct to write the check and I would sign it. I was amazed as he did it so I signed. The next day I had to return he made a error. Using the example $12379.84 he left off the Three Hundred. The bank clerk caught the error.

Clay

Clay & Marcie Too old to play in the snow

Diesel pusher and previously 2 FW and small Class C

Twenty years ago, I always carried two blank checks in my wallet.  Now I rarely write a check.  We do, however, use a lot of cash.  Small businesses pay about 3% if they take a credit card, so I help them out.  I know, I could be getting "cash back".  I don't care,  It's a small price to pay to keep the locals in business, so I don't have to drive farther for some trivial bits.

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN

2 hours ago, rickeieio said:

Twenty years ago, I always carried two blank checks in my wallet.  Now I rarely write a check.  We do, however, use a lot of cash.  Small businesses pay about 3% if they take a credit card, so I help them out.  I know, I could be getting "cash back".  I don't care,  It's a small price to pay to keep the locals in business, so I don't have to drive farther for some trivial bits.

Thank you for supporting the small businesses. 

I too quit writing checks for quite some time. The powers that be seemed to want everyone to use the "Card". 

I've worked the summer at a small business. The cost incurred by the business to use a debit or credit card got way out of hand over the past few years and the owner changed to a card machine that adds 3.95% to the customers bill. The business does not get that money, it's added to the amount they will collect from the credit or debit card companies and shows the final amount on the little slip the customer signs. 

I always tell the person how much the "Convenience" will cost them. I'll also allow them a day to come back with cash or a good check if it surprises them. 

If you know the "Farmers" I know, you will understand how they felt when they got home and really looked at that little piece of paper when they used a card to get a set of pickup tires. More than one came back with a complaint. The owner ate the charge for a minute, but then made sure the customer was informed before swiping the card. 

Black Friday is just around the corner for the "Big Businesses", but I don't participate. I do go out on Small business Saturday with a pretty good wad of cash though. 

Rod

White 2000/2010Volvo VNL 770 with 7' Drom box with opposing doors,  JOST slider hitch. 600 HP Cummins Signature 18 Speed three pedal auto shift.

1999 Isuzu VehiCross retired to a sticks and bricks garage. Brought out of storage the summer of 2022

2022 Jeep Wrangler Sport S Two door hard top.

2007 Honda GL 1800

2013 Space Craft Mfg S420 Custom built Toyhauler

The Gold Volvo is still running and being emptied in July. 

Example:  My local, family owned hardware store has three locations.  Combined, they pay about $14,000/month in credit card fees.  They  treat me well, because I don't use a card.  Plus, they're 3 miles away, versus 7 mi. for the big box hardware, saving me gas to boot.

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN