Blowouts

griffinmike

The second trip North from South Florida to Iowa I had 3 blow outs before leaving Florida. I had a triple axle toyhauler and thankfully two spare wheels and tires. The Tires were New Goodyears the year before. Thankfully Goodyear covered the replacement cost and repaired the damage caused to the trailer by the tires. 

The issue was the ambient temperatures in Florida I believe. It was much warmer than I had traveled before and I started in the early morning and not the usual later in the afternoon near evening. It's my thought anyway. 

My current trailer with the dual tandem air ride and semi trailer tires is sooooooo much better. Of course the tires are a lot more expensive too. 

Rod

White 2000/2010Volvo VNL 770 with 7' Drom box with opposing doors,  JOST slider hitch. 600 HP Cummins Signature 18 Speed three pedal auto shift.

1999 Isuzu VehiCross retired to a sticks and bricks garage. Brought out of storage the summer of 2022

2022 Jeep Wrangler Sport S Two door hard top.

2007 Honda GL 1800

2013 Space Craft Mfg S420 Custom built Toyhauler

The Gold Volvo is still running and being emptied in July. 

Rod, which GY tires did you have and what is the load you are carrying on each tire?   I have GY G614 on three 7000# Mor/Ryde axles and so far, not one issue.  These tires are 3 yeas old.  Previous tires were Hankook F19 Maxivantage and ran then for almost 6 years and no issues.

Ken

Amateur radio operator, 2023 Cougar 22MLS, 2022 F150 Lariat 4x4 Off Road, Sport trim <br />Travel with 1 miniature schnauzer, 1 standard schnauzer and one African Gray parrot

Nearly all ST tire mfgrs. recommend running the air pressure listed on the sidewall. Some years ago the Carlisle ST tire warranty stated that, and ignoring running sidewall listed pressure voided the warranty.

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA ." And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you--ask what you can do for your country.  John F. Kennedy 20 Jan 1961

I haven't had a tire blow out in over 15 years.. Pulled an 8k Actric Fox 24-5L for 6 years, no blow outs with Costco (greenball?) tires at the time. I've had a flat or two, but those were relatively slow leaks. More recently I changed out the Marathon tires on my TT which were aging out and installed GY Endurance tires for the latest 7400+ trip. No issues.  They run at 80PSI and I did see some high pressures during the day accross Nebraska and Missouri  up to 90 PSI and tire temps at 100 degrees according to the TPMS. In the mornings, they were back down to 80 psi. oddly, the truck spare tire  with a TPMS sensor on it, read 100 degrees at times.

BTW, I had an alignment done on the trailer, prior to the trip. I had seen treadwear on the inside of the drivers rear trailer tire. No issues with this trip    I know the tires and suspension were working overtime, with all the crappy roads in eastern Nebraska, Missouri, Kentucky and Tennessee. They took some hard hits when pot holes appeared at the entry and exit of bridges.

+++++++++++_____________________________________+++++++++++

2021 Ram 3500  2017 Arctic Fox 25W(to be traded??)
HAM guy (Ke7FIX), photography, woodworking (mostly sawdust),
Electronics Technician,  USAF DAV

Going where everyone has gone before

event.png                                             

Never had a blowout but have had 1 flat. It was one of the early Goodyear that had so many problems. My previous DRV. Had leaks recently due to failing tire stems. All on one side at same time. Strange just one side and all on that side. Needless to say I replaced all six. I do use Michelin XPS. They are getting some age on them and tiny cracks. Hold air great and dealer said crack not deep enough to replace.  Teton close to 21k. 

2003 Teton Grand Freedom towed with 2006 Freightliner Century 120 across the beautiful USA welding pipe.https://photos.app.goo.gl/O32ZjgzSzgK7LAyt1

1 hour ago, GlennWest said:

Never had a blowout but have had 1 flat. It was one of the early Goodyear that had so many problems. My previous DRV. Had leaks recently due to failing tire stems. All on one side at same time. Strange just one side and all on that side. Needless to say I replaced all six. I do use Michelin XPS. They are getting some age on them and tiny cracks. Hold air great and dealer said crack not deep enough to replace.  Teton close to 21k. 

21K, some salesmen would tell you that's 3/4T towable.🙄

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA ." And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you--ask what you can do for your country.  John F. Kennedy 20 Jan 1961

A neighbor recently had a G rated tire put on his Redwood as it was recommended by another guest here and the large tire dealer.  So far, he has come back to a trailer with 2 to 4 tires flat after a couple of weeks.  The tire dealer put in what he called "heavy duty" rubber valve stems.  The dealer has come out and checked the tires, replaced the valve stems with more rubber valve stems....yet it leaks down.  The tires and rims were thoroughly leak checked and the only leak was the valve stem.  This has been going on for two months and the trailer has not been on the road yet.  

I told him to tell the tire dealer he wanted metal valve stems.

Ken

Amateur radio operator, 2023 Cougar 22MLS, 2022 F150 Lariat 4x4 Off Road, Sport trim <br />Travel with 1 miniature schnauzer, 1 standard schnauzer and one African Gray parrot

If you have the TPMS system that is a stem screw ontype,  metal stems are highly recommended. 
When I first installed them on the TT, I could see a spot on the wheel that showed contact with the TPMS sensor, probably due to the centrifical force on the sensor.  
When I replace the tires, I had the stems replaced as well.

I also put the "extra" TPMS sensors on the truck wheels, primarily because they react faster than the OEM internal one's do. BUT, the OEM versions are part of the stem, so there is no replacing the rubber stem with a metal one, without screwing up the truck OEM TPMS.

I posted a long time ago, that I experienced a leak in one wheel that ( after much searching) turned out to be a defect in the wheel, behind one of the spokes. 

image.jpeg.4b68656d8dff0e0d155bccace20891aa.jpeg

Fortunatly the folks made the wheel, sent me a replacement.

+++++++++++_____________________________________+++++++++++

2021 Ram 3500  2017 Arctic Fox 25W(to be traded??)
HAM guy (Ke7FIX), photography, woodworking (mostly sawdust),
Electronics Technician,  USAF DAV

Going where everyone has gone before

event.png                                             

Before I bought my Class A I had a 5er toy hauler with 3 axels and 6 tires. Had 2 blow outs within the first 4 months. Had the remaining 4 tires inspected and was told that 2 were ready to blow and the other 2 were unsafe. All were China bombs. Replaced all 6 with Michelin XBS Ribs. Ran another 5 years with no problems.

2015 Itasca Ellipse 42QD

2017 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon Hard Rock Edition

2021 Harley Street Glide Special 

Fulltimer

Our first 5th wheel that we had for about 10 years was a triple axle and we had 9 blowouts and went thru a total of 27 tires. Some lasted 5k miles and some lasted 30k miles. We put on over 100k miles on the trailer. We had it weighed by individual wheel weights and none were overloaded, close but not overloaded. We also had the axles aligned. They were only 15" wheel diameter and very hard to find good tires in that size and they didn't make wheels to work with the lug pattern for a 17.5" diameter. 

Our next trailer had 8 lug 16" wheels and we replaced them with 17.5" Sailuns as soon as we got it home from the dealership. We transferred those wheels and tires to our current triple axle trailer and they now have 60k miles on them without any blow outs. Some still look good but we are replacing them after this trip as we had a bad alignment done last year and it has worn some of the trailer tires pretty bad. New alignment just done found the issue.

2005 Freightliner Century S/T, Singled, Air ride ET Jr. hitch
2019 46'+ Dune Sport Man Cave custom 5th wheel toy hauler
Owner of the 1978 Custom Van "Star Dreamer" which might be seen at a local car show near you!

Check out http://www.hhrvresource.com/

for much more info on HDT's.

We have a 2004 39' Alfa triple axel fiver bought new. At 18 months old had a tire come apart and I can't remember the brand. But after the RV forums and talking to other fiver owners Michelin XPS Ribs were highly recommended. Have used them ever since and had no problems including going to Alaska. The fiver is the only vehicle I use Michelins on as I'm not a fan of the brand. 

We have a 2006 Carriage at about 16K. When I bought it used I upgraded to disc brakes, 8K wet hub axles, 17.5" steel wheels with semi-trailer tires and Roadmaster suspension. Full time since 2018. The tires will have five years on them this winter and I plan to replace them. The one flat was a valve stem core failure.

Jinx and Wayne

2006 Carriage Carri-Lite 36KSQ

If you tow alot of miles (10k a year), you are bound to have tire problems eventually. It is best to be prepared with the proper tools and to practice changing the tires when you do your annual bearing inspection/grease job. Changing a tire on a busy interstate is not the time to stumble through changing a tire and relying on a tow service can be nerve racking. My wife and I can change a tire in 20 minutes and be back on the road, BTDT over 6 times in our 10 years of FT. I have found that once tires exceed 5 years of age, the blowout risk increases, but there is always that unexpected nail or pot hole to be prepared for.

Edited by gjhunter01

Every tire failure we've experienced has been a Goodyear.  Two different trailers over the past 13 years.  On both trailers, we upgraded to 17.5" wheels.  I now have Sailun tires on the 5er, and so far am happy with them.  I ran them on my work truck, and had them on our Volvo RV truck as well.

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN
Lots of old motorcycles, Moto Guzzi Griso and Spyder F3 currently in the front row
Young enough to play in the dirt as a retired farmer.
contact me at rickeieio1@comcast.net

Tires are considered expendable components and eventually they need to be replaced, just like brake pads do. We have had good results with our 16" Sailun G tires, but they need to be regularly inspected and they too will meet their life span limit by design, either through wear or time.

Edited by gjhunter01

15 hours ago, rickeieio said:

Every tire failure we've experienced has been a Goodyear.  Two different trailers over the past 13 years.  On both trailers, we upgraded to 17.5" wheels.  I now have Sailun tires on the 5er, and so far am happy with them.  I ran them on my work truck, and had them on our Volvo RV truck as well.

I have also had problems with Goodyear tires.  We had 2 year old 5er that had been weighed and was less than the maximum for the tires.  On 1 trip all 4 tires separated from the tread.  I kept the tires at maximum cold pressure.  These separations caused considerable damage to the 5er.  Discount Tire told me when we visited them about the problem Goodyear had a silent recall on those tires.  I am not sure what that is.  In any case Goodyear paid for the damage and prorated the tires.  That was nice but changing tires along a busy highway isn't  my idea of fun.  We also had to scour small town tire stores for tires to continue home as each tire blew.  I no longer buy Goodyear tires.  We have used XPS Ribs for the last 20 years with only one flat.  We replace these every 10 years and keep the 5er in the garage when not being used.  Based on the recommendations of others I have decided to try Sailun tires.  

Randy

2001 Volvo VNL 42 Cummins ISX Autoshift

On 7/30/2022 at 7:21 AM, rickeieio said:

I do the same as you. Excellent choice. Back and forth coast to coast twice and Sturgis/Yellowstone and back. Thats one TUFF tire.

On 8/2/2022 at 5:45 PM, chief916 said:

I do the same as you. Excellent choice. Back and forth coast to coast twice and Sturgis/Yellowstone and back. Thats one TUFF tire.

Do you happen to know the expected life in years (not miles)? Mine are 2016 and I am thinking about replacing although lots of tread left.

Jinx and Wayne

2006 Carriage Carri-Lite 36KSQ

27 minutes ago, Jinx &amp; Wayne said:

Do you happen to know the expected life in years (not miles)? Mine are 2016 and I am thinking about replacing although lots of tread left.

It's time to replace.

Full-timed for 16 Years
Traveled 8 yr in a 2004 Newmar Dutch Star 40' Motorhome
and 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

8 hours ago, Jinx & Wayne said:

Carlisle ST tire mfgr. recommends replacement every 5 years due mainly to lack of regular use. The damage caused by a tire failure often far exceeds the cost of new tires.

This is what Goodyear has to say: https://www.goodyearrvtires.com/tire-replacement-guidelines.aspx

Edited by Ray,IN

On 8/5/2022 at 12:32 PM, 2gypsies said:

It's time to replace.

I don't know how long they will last but I check them for cracks and check the manufacturer date. I will tell you that I treat all my tires with Aerospace 101 spray. Plus I cover my tires when not on the rode.

4 hours ago, chief916 said:

I don't know how long they will last but I check them for cracks and check the manufacturer date. I will tell you that I treat all my tires with Aerospace 101 spray. Plus I cover my tires when not on the rode.

Sorry...... it's supposed to Aerospace 303. I fat fingered it.