ET Hitch Problems

Overthinker

We took our first trip in our new Volvo with a new ET Senior hitch and experienced several issues.  The most troublesome problem we are having is the hitch doesn't want to release the kingpin.  We haven't experienced this issue with other hitches and was wondering if anyone else has had this issue and what a possible solution might be.  We aren't using a lube plate because we found it wasn't compatible with the hitch.  The only times we didn't have a problem were when the trailer and truck were both completely level and the on asphalt.  If everything wasn't completely aligned and the trailer was on dirt, gravel, or sand the jaws were still under so much tension they would drag the trailer as we attempted to pull forward.  We could essentially hook and unhook our trailer saver from any orientation without issue.  We might be going back to the Trailer Saver if asphalt and perfect alignment are a requirement for the ET because that is a rarity for our use.

Only time we have issue releasing the hitch jaws is when there’s lateral loading between the truck and fifth wheel.  Putting the truck in neutral for a second and allowing it to roll a couple inches solves the issue. For this particular “issue” it operates as I would expect to; resisting jaw release when being “pulled”.

IMG_3217a.jpg.c718bc170600aa5ce52e515511d83cb7.jpg

Jim & Wilma

2006 Travel Supreme 36RLQSO

2009 Volvo VNL730, D13, I-shift, ET, Herrin Hauler bed, "Ruby"

2017 Smart

Class of 2017

Hopefully other folks will be able to give advice as well, but what I found worked best on our ET hitch was to dump the truck airbags (so that the truck and hitch airbags aren't fighting each other as I raise the trailer off the hitch) and then lift the trailer enough that I could see a little light between the kingpin and hitch. Then back up slightly to release the pressure on the jaws.

In most cases then the hitch will release.

Edited by jeffw

2007 Volvo 780 Volvo D12D, 465hp, 1650 ft/lbs tq., ultrashift

Wow.  I have never had an issue with releasing my ET.  I don't dump the truck suspension, we just put the landing gear down and take some weight, release the clamping block, and take more weight on the gear until there is a small gap between the plate and lube plate, then pull away.

I do lube the clamping block and jaws on the ET.  Henry said this wasn't necessary, but I do it anyway.

Av8r3400
2012 Volvo VNL 730 D13 iShift & 2021 Grand Design Momentum 397TH

TEq81qV.jpg

I'd rather die trying to live - Than live trying not to die.   -Leonard Perry

I always chock trailer wheels first, then raise trailer with front jacks enough to unload hitch, then I bump tractor in reverse, this is very important to release forward tension on hitch, then set tractor brakes, then release hitch and drive ahead. Hope this helps.

2011 vnl730 D13 435/1650 I-shift singled mid 2015 Keystone Raptor 425ts 2015 Smart

When Henry installed mine and gave me a demonstration on hooking and un-hooking, I lowered the legs and chocked the wheels then raised the front legs listening for the air to escape from the hitch then use the supplied breaker bar to release the hitch, now there have been times when that was hard to do so like others, I will release the truck brakes to let it roll which ever it wants to so tension is off the hitch then i have been able to release the handle with the breaker bar and pull away. I have never had the issue you seem to have, plus I have a lube plate on my kingpin.

2017 River Stone Legacy 38MB

2001 T2000 Kenworth

2009 Smart Passion

ET Junior hitch

There is a learning curve with all new items. Each one has it's own technique and once you have it down it's not a problem anymore. Making sure you don't have tension on your hitch is paramount in all disconnection activities. If you are doing it by yourself, then Get Out And Look (GOAL) before pulling away to make sure you pin is disconnected. Dragging your trailer on it's landing gear is a recipe for pain in the wallet. Most of the time I would raise the trailer just a bit and release the brakes for a moment. If I felt any movement I'd lower the trailer before raising up enough to see separation between the plate and pin. I had the older ET Senior with the longer arm. Didn't have to fit the breaker bar into the handle for extra leverage. It took me a time or two to figure it out, even on level ground.  Now it's second nature on all terrain, some terrain takes a bit longer to release though, especially since I no longer have the ET and I only have Front to back movement, not side to side. 

Rod 

White 2000/2010Volvo VNL 770 with 7' Drom box with opposing doors,  JOST slider hitch. 600 HP Cummins Signature 18 Speed three pedal auto shift.

1999 Isuzu VehiCross retired to a sticks and bricks garage. Brought out of storage the summer of 2022

2022 Jeep Wrangler Sport S Two door hard top.

2007 Honda GL 1800

2013 Space Craft Mfg S420 Custom built Toyhauler

The Gold Volvo is still running and being emptied in July. 

I do the same as Av8r.  Never had an issue releasing.  I also routinely put axle grease on the jaws and upper plate.  Messy but seems to make things smoother.  I am also able to use a thin lubriplate.  David Dixon (NukeE) with Deep Space Lighting at one point offered some thin lubriplates.

2006 Volvo 780 "Hoss" Volvo D12, 465hp, 1650 ft/lbs tq., ultrashift

Bed Build by "JW Morgan's Custom Welding"

2017 DRV 39DBRS3

2013 Smart Passion Coupe "Itty Bitty"

"Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first!"

1 hour ago, SuiteSuccess said:

I do the same as Av8r.  Never had an issue releasing.  I also routinely put axle grease on the jaws and upper plate.  Messy but seems to make things smoother.  I am also able to use a thin lubriplate.  David Dixon (NukeE) with Deep Space Lighting at one point offered some thin lubriplates.

Definitely interested in a thin lube plate as the one we had isn't compatible with ET. I'm not a fan of a greasy top plate, but greasing the jaws is interesting.  

I appreciate all the replies, I'm sure it will become second nature and I'm going to try your suggestions.  I also like knowing how things work and I'm trying to figure out why the ET is so much more cantankerous than the Trailer Saver.  No breaker bar needed (which I didn't get one with my ET) and as soon as I opened the jaws, no matter the angle, the kingpin released.

Try contacting Henry as he is still involved in the ET hitch development even though Pop up products is making them now. His contact info should be on the Jackaloppe website.

2005 Freightliner Century S/T, Singled, Air ride ET Jr. hitch
2019 46'+ Dune Sport Man Cave custom 5th wheel toy hauler
Owner of the 1978 Custom Van "Star Dreamer" which might be seen at a local car show near you!

Check out http://www.hhrvresource.com/

for much more info on HDT's.

1 hour ago, Overthinker said:

Definitely interested in a thin lube plate as the one we had isn't compatible with ET. I'm not a fan of a greasy top plate, but greasing the jaws is interesting.  

A very knowledgeable person (GeorgiaHybrid) once told me metals don’t like to rub on metals.  He slathers on lots of grease on the jaws  so I followed his lead. May not be necessary but don’t think it hurts.   The jaw grease lubricates the kingpin and let’s it turn freely as well as working around the pins.  Just don’t bump in to it when going under your front cap or you will have a hair full of “brown Brylcreem”, lol.

2006 Volvo 780 "Hoss" Volvo D12, 465hp, 1650 ft/lbs tq., ultrashift

Bed Build by "JW Morgan's Custom Welding"

2017 DRV 39DBRS3

2013 Smart Passion Coupe "Itty Bitty"

"Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first!"

We had to go to a 3/16 lube plate. The only time our ET hitch doesn’t want to release is when there is lateral pressure on it. Chock the trailer wheels then I hold the brake pedal down release the parking brake and let off the pedal until I feel the truck move just a little. It should be free of pressure then. Chocking the wheels is an important part or it will just move and the pressure will still be there. 

One thing we found, even with the previous TrailerSaver hitch, is that if you have a pin box with the anti-chucking snubbers, ALL tension must be released before the jaws will release.  I put a couple paint dots on the pin box so we can be sure it's in the "neutral" position.

The first couple times we unhitched with the ET, it was very reluctant to release.  Using the methods described above, it's no longer an issue.

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN
Lots of old motorcycles, Moto Guzzi Griso and Spyder F3 currently in the front row
Young enough to play in the dirt as a retired farmer.
contact me at rickeieio1@comcast.net

Are you adjusting the trailer height a little to see some space above and below your pin (especially without a plate)?  Sometimes if in a bind, I would put the truck in N, release the brakes,(and the tension) and then slide right out.

WOW!  I submitted the above and it never went anywhere!  It's the same thing everybody else is saying.

Rocky & Sheri Rhoades
'01 Volvo 770
2016 DRV Mobile Suites, Houston
HERO Makers Ministry

30495168531_143d8fb8d6_m.jpg

MY PEOPLE SKILLS ARE JUST FINE.
~It's my tolerance to idiots that needs work.~

2005 Volvo 780 VED12 465hp / Freedomline transmission
singled mid position / Bed by Larry Herrin
2018 customed Mobile Suites 40KSSB3 

2014 smart Fortwo

You can take a screwdriver or punch and dimple the fingers that go around the pin.  This will deform the plastic enough to give you a tighter fit.  My lube plate is going on 10 years old and has been dimpled only once and it stays in place.

Ken

Amateur radio operator, 2023 Cougar 22MLS, 2022 F150 Lariat 4x4 Off Road, Sport trim <br />Travel with 1 miniature schnauzer, 1 standard schnauzer and one African Gray parrot

On 7/19/2022 at 4:28 PM, HERO Maker said:

Are you adjusting the trailer height a little to see some space above and below your pin (especially without a plate)?  Sometimes if in a bind, I would put the truck in N, release the brakes,(and the tension) and then slide right out.

WOW!  I submitted the above and it never went anywhere!  It's the same thing everybody else is saying.

Yes and that's one. of the most frustrating things, I can see a gap.  I spoke with Henry and he had  thinks it's probably the "fingers" on the jaws.  He suggested dropping the jacks and nudging the truck slightly backward and applying the parking brake at that point.  We probable won't have another trip for awhile so we will see then.

On 7/21/2022 at 10:37 AM, TXiceman said:

You can take a screwdriver or punch and dimple the fingers that go around the pin.  This will deform the plastic enough to give you a tighter fit.  My lube plate is going on 10 years old and has been dimpled only once and it stays in place.

Ken

I ordered a 3/16" and a 1/8" to see if I can get one of those to work.  Looking forward to cleaning all the grease off that I applied after ours wouldn't work.

2 minutes ago, Overthinker said:

cleaning all the grease off that I applied after ours wouldn't work.

On the other hand, that grease has a suction effect to help keep the slip plate in position. Ours tends to drop down, even after application of a ball peen hammer, so a couple grease dollops keep it up.

I have been wrong before, I'll probably be wrong again. 

2000 Kenworth T 2000 w/N-14 and 10 speed Gen1 Autoshift, deck built by Star Fabrication
2006 smart fourtwo cdi cabriolet
2007 32.5' Fleetwood Quantum

Please e-mail us here.

Poly plate + hammer = happiness.  I beat the snot out of the inner radius of the fingers several years ago.

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN
Lots of old motorcycles, Moto Guzzi Griso and Spyder F3 currently in the front row
Young enough to play in the dirt as a retired farmer.
contact me at rickeieio1@comcast.net

2 hours ago, rickeieio said:

Poly plate + hammer = happiness.  I beat the snot out of the inner radius of the fingers several years ago.

Don't forget, we're from a colder climate. My use of a ball peen hammer resulted in a fractured finger...on the slip plate. Grease glue from now on, until I break down and replace it.

I have been wrong before, I'll probably be wrong again. 

2000 Kenworth T 2000 w/N-14 and 10 speed Gen1 Autoshift, deck built by Star Fabrication
2006 smart fourtwo cdi cabriolet
2007 32.5' Fleetwood Quantum

Please e-mail us here.

All 5th wheels will be difficult to release if there is forward pressure on them. Sometimes you have to chalk the trailer tires and back up a hair to get it to release. There is a trucker trick to keep jerks from pulling the pin. Set the trailer brakes and pull ahead to put pressure on the pin then set the tractor brakes. 

Farmer, Trucker, Equipment operator, Mechanic

Quando omni flunkus moritati-When all else fails, play dead
I'm a man, but I can change, if I have to, I guess.