Please help me make my wife feel better........

Vegas Teacher

Hello All!!!!

My wife has been reading about all of the terrible stories with Semi trucks breaking down on the HDT facebook forum. We are near 1 million miles on our 780 and she thinks it is going to explode on us costing us 1000's of $. So if anyone on the forum have good running trucks at or near the million mile mark could you please write in so I can show her our truck is not going to explode on us.

Thanks,

Cory O - Vegas Teacher

12 minutes ago, Vegas Teacher said:

Hello All!!!!

My wife has been reading about all of the terrible stories with Semi trucks breaking down on the HDT facebook forum. We are near 1 million miles on our 780 and she thinks it is going to explode on us costing us 1000's of $. So if anyone on the forum have good running trucks at or near the million mile mark could you please write in so I can show her our truck is not going to explode on us.

Thanks,

Cory O - Vegas Teacher

Well, mine has 1,955,000 miles on it, but I have done a good bit to keep it up. I forget, what year is yours? The number one problem with newer trucks is maintaining the emissions systems. Mine is pre-emissions, so that really helps me. Jay

I'm in the 950,000 range and while I did have an issue that required a few K and a tow it was not the end of the truck explosion. I know several "Farmers" who have millions of miles on their trucks and yes the occasionally need to go to the shop and get a major overhaul, but they get back on the road for a lot more miles.  A new truck can spend almost an equal amount of time in the shop and are a lot more expensive to start with. 

Probably the biggest issue for my truck is the sitting. I go to a place, park and don't drive again until the next long trip. It's usually 5 to 8 months between drives. The drives are usually fairly long though several hundred to over 1000 miles. 

Rod

White 2000/2010Volvo VNL 770 with 7' Drom box with opposing doors,  JOST slider hitch. 600 HP Cummins Signature 18 Speed three pedal auto shift.

1999 Isuzu VehiCross retired to a sticks and bricks garage. Brought out of storage the summer of 2022

2022 Jeep Wrangler Sport S Two door hard top.

2007 Honda GL 1800

2013 Space Craft Mfg S420 Custom built Toyhauler

The Gold Volvo is still running and being emptied in July. 

I think she is right, you are better off buying a brand new truck before you have that bed built! Sounds like you have her approval to get a new truck! 

2005 Freightliner Century S/T, Singled, Air ride ET Jr. hitch
2019 46'+ Dune Sport Man Cave custom 5th wheel toy hauler
Owner of the 1978 Custom Van "Star Dreamer" which might be seen at a local car show near you!

Check out http://www.hhrvresource.com/

for much more info on HDT's.

2 hours ago, Jaydrvr said:

Well, mine has 1,955,000 miles on it, but I have done a good bit to keep it up. I forget, what year is yours? The number one problem with newer trucks is maintaining the emissions systems. Mine is pre-emissions, so that really helps me. Jay

My 780 is a 2010 pre DEF.

Given your track record, with a Schrader valve sitting you on the side of the road for several hours in the Las Vegas desert, she may be right. I know you've put some repairs into the truck, but I have no idea of it's current state of readiness. Once you get further in your training work, she'll have more confidence in you and the truck. Until then, not my wife, not my problem.

I have been wrong before, I'll probably be wrong again. 

2000 Kenworth T 2000 w/N-14 and 10 speed Gen1 Autoshift, deck built by Star Fabrication
2006 smart fourtwo cdi cabriolet
2007 32.5' Fleetwood Quantum

Please e-mail us here.

There are no guarantees   Anything can break, even new trucks.  When we were in Alaska, we saw nearly new motorhomes in the shop getting new engines, under warranty.  But, the peoples' vacation time was up, so they had to fly home and have the motorhome driven back to them.  These were not cheap coaches either.  Over $1m.

We, on the other hand, have had our share of "unplanned maintenance" stops.  They seemed pretty significant at the time, but over the course of 11 years and 55, 000 miles of towing, total cost of repairs (not counting filters, oil and such) was about $25k. No more than the depreciation would have been if we'd started with a new dually.

This is not a cheap game we're playing........

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN
Lots of old motorcycles, Moto Guzzi Griso and Spyder F3 currently in the front row
Young enough to play in the dirt as a retired farmer.
contact me at rickeieio@yahoo.com

2 hours ago, Vegas Teacher said:

My 780 is a 2010 pre DEF.

But it's not pre-emission.  It's mechanical so it could explode tomorrow, or even tonight.

2012 F350 KR CC DRW w/ some stuff
2019 Arctic Fox 32-5M
Cindy and Tom, Kasey and Maggie (our Newfie and Berner)
Oh...I forgot the five kids.

I bought mine with 894,000 miles. It has needed quite a bit of work. Starter, tie-rod ends, drag link, shocks, overhead set, and very soon a new clutch. The throw out bearing and pivot bearing are bad as well. I also replaced about 6 of the engine sensors so far. So, expect to put some money into it. If it's worth it to you then it's worth it. My wife kind of complained when I got mine and about how much I was spending on it. I told her there are other habits I could be wasting my money on. Now that I have taken the family on a short day trip they all love it. 

I tell people, "It's the funnest waste of money I ever had". We only live once so "Why not".

Edited by Rotorhead

I bought mine cheap, fixed a boost leak, and it's been good since then.  Have yet to be stranded or need a tow.  It's an old truck with no emissions, and was in RV service long before I got it.

Edited by aknavy

2001 VNL 660

2018 DRV Fullhouse JX450

2018 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon

Update,,,,,,  This morning we were on our way to pick up the camper after some repairs when I got a screen saying "SCR malfunction or sensor failure".  Called the nearest KW dealer, MHC in Jackson, TN, and they said to bring it it right away, which we did.  It was about 4-5 hours before they could get it in the shop and diagnose it.  Bad DEF sensor telling the brain box we were out of DEF.  They also noted several other things, of which the worst is the EGR cooler leaking, along with a cracked flex joint and another smaller issue.  All of these secondary items can be fixed with one labor charge, as they each need to be removed to access the others.  No brainer, get out the wallet.

So, we bought a much newer truck hoping to have less un-planned maintenance.  Uhhh, not yet.  Didn't bother getting an estimate, just said "go easy on me, but fix everything".

Someone said a few posts back, "This not a cheap game we're playing."  Ouch.

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN
Lots of old motorcycles, Moto Guzzi Griso and Spyder F3 currently in the front row

2 hours ago, rickeieio said:

Update,,,,,,  This morning we were on our way to pick up the camper after some repairs when I got a screen saying "SCR malfunction or sensor failure".  Called the nearest KW dealer, MHC in Jackson, TN, and they said to bring it it right away, which we did.  It was about 4-5 hours before they could get it in the shop and diagnose it.  Bad DEF sensor telling the brain box we were out of DEF.  They also noted several other things, of which the worst is the EGR cooler leaking, along with a cracked flex joint and another smaller issue.  All of these secondary items can be fixed with one labor charge, as they each need to be removed to access the others.  No brainer, get out the wallet.

So, we bought a much newer truck hoping to have less un-planned maintenance.  Uhhh, not yet.  Didn't bother getting an estimate, just said "go easy on me, but fix everything".

Someone said a few posts back, "This not a cheap game we're playing."  Ouch.

Sorry to hear, Rick.

One of the reasons I love dat old arn.

2012 F350 KR CC DRW w/ some stuff
2019 Arctic Fox 32-5M
Cindy and Tom, Kasey and Maggie (our Newfie and Berner)
Oh...I forgot the five kids.

And it's not just trucks.  Our daughter has a diesel VW.  She's had that sensor replaced several times.

I talked to an o/o at the KW shop who'd been there since Monday.  We was waiting on another sensor that is to arrive June 21.

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN

Read this Post on the forum and watch the video to explain to your wife why you run the tow vehicle bigger than required. So really the Million Miles is nothing if the frame and running is worthy. I was in one of cases that required the double whip safely with no contact.

Clay

So this happened on my way home from the ECR.

Clay & Marcie Too old to play in the snow

Diesel pusher and previously 2 FW and small Class C

I agree with others. If it’s mechanical, its going to break… eventually. I pulled with an F450 and the trailer pushed us around a few times. Truck had 40k miles when we bought it and was in the shop a few times. Nothing major but still in the shop. We no longer get pushed around and have only been in the shop for normal service. 720k on the Volvo. We like our big toyhauler and the toys that go in it. We’ll take the risk of an expensive repair over the risk of being pushed in to an intersection any day.

My wife likes to drive the truck and is going to pull the trailer a little this year so she’s ready if she has to. My issue is I might get kicked out of the drivers seat and I’ll never get to drive it.  

Andy

Andy 

2011 Volvo 730

2017 Spartan Toy Hauler

2021KTM 300 XC-W 

[URL=https://i.imgur.com/uWKtUjj.jpg "target=new"][IMG]https://i.imgur.com/uWKtUjjl.jpg "border=0"[/IMG][/URL]

Teach,

Get your bride in your rig and wander over the pass to PawRump and pull into Top Notch Trucking out on BeleVista on the way to Death Valley (Furnace Creek) and Look (with DARK glasses) at the owners Pete with only +5,800,000 miles on the clock and counting with the shinny eat-off it 650 Kat with so much chrome that they had to COMPLETELY Chrome TWO trailers to match it ......

Tell your bride that he spends more on chrome polish than her house cost but the trick to cheep trucking is just keep on top of the little things and that will go a long way to keeping the big repairs in check......like the name of his company says...... Top Notch Trucking.....

Take a peek at Lottsa miles chrome......https://www.topnotchcarrier.com/

Drive on........fuss with the little things and keep the big things happy....

Edited by Dollytrolley
Add link to more info

97 Freightshaker Century Cummins M11-370 / 1350 /10 spd / 3:08 /tandem/ 20ft Garage/ 30 ft Curtis Dune toybox with a removable horse-haul-module to transport Dolly-The-Painthorse to horse camps and trail heads all over the Western U S

Teach,

Be careful when you come over to trade your rig in on the Top Notch Pete......it was 98 f here today when i went out to the mailbox and Dollymomma's pet rattler would not even come out from his den to buzz at me.......it's gonna be getting warm here some day......soon

Drive on........Keep a eye out for the rattler at the mail box (nobody seems to mess with our mailbox much....)

97 Freightshaker Century Cummins M11-370 / 1350 /10 spd / 3:08 /tandem/ 20ft Garage/ 30 ft Curtis Dune toybox with a removable horse-haul-module to transport Dolly-The-Painthorse to horse camps and trail heads all over the Western U S

We don't have a million miles on ours yet, but just to keep it in perspective for your wife, the millions of HDT drivers - RV haulers or not - whose truck DIDN'T break down today are NOT going to post on facebook. People only post the bad/exciting/unusual on facebook. It's not real life. I know I don't go on facebook every day to say my day was uneventful or our truck didn't break down today. Just sayin'...  and BTW I'm the wife, and I love our Freightliner. Wouldn't trade it for anything but a bigger truck.

0509211517a-tiny.jpg.0313fb3892d85eca18617732fa6d04ac.jpg

2007 Freightliner M2-112, 68' connected

2021 New Horizons Majestic 45' toyhauler

2001 Kawasaki Concours

2007 Yamaha V-Star Classic

ALAKAZARCACOCTDEFLGAHIIDILINIAKSKYLAMEMD