Atwood RV Furnace is Backfiring through Exaust

My Atwood Furnace in my RV backfires during the Ignition phase, when it does light,  the exhaust is extremely rancid smelling, and burns my eyes. other times it does not light, and repeats the ignition sequence, but each time it does try to light, it backfires out the exhaust (Extremely loud, Furnace model # is AF MD35111_A (35,000 BTU) Orfice is a 50. 

IMO KIrk is exactly right. Flying insects might have built nests in the  combustion and/or exhaust areas..

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA ." And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you--ask what you can do for your country.  John F. Kennedy 20 Jan 1961

19 hours ago, Ray,IN said:

IMO KIrk is exactly right. Flying insects might have built nests in the  combustion and/or exhaust areas..

This is exactly the problem we had. Mud daubers built a nest inside the exhaust. Black smoke, horrible odor, would not stay running, and set off the CO detector. I learned my lesson, all the openings for furnace and water heater are now covered with screens.

SignatureNewest.jpg.a1bc8322b0862056fd28e25d5b1458db.jpg

I have found different critters can have different smells.

Just kidding.

Most likely mud daubers.  They could have several different nest in the burn chamber.

Some kind of brush on a flexible shaft. Should do the trick.  Just be careful as to not get the brush stuck.  

A year ago I cleaned several nest out of one furnace. I have a remote camera so I could see what this it was looking like inside.

Also a vacuum cleaner. A piece of wire loom could be flexible enough to slowly work into the opening. Maybe even cut the end with a few sharp points on the end. The plastic wire loom needs to be solid.  It may take several attempts. Also the vacuum could suck inside the wire loom.