Hdt pulling 5th wheel wreck in Clarksville TN

GlennWest

Highway 24 was closed due to it. Don't  know all details. Truck torn up in front. Camper appears all right. Not anyone here is it.https://www.google.com/amp/s/fox17.com/amp/news/local/serious-accident-involving-18-wheeler-closes-i-24-west-in-clarksville

Edited by GlennWest

2003 Teton Grand Freedom towed with 2006 Freightliner Century 120 across the beautiful USA welding pipe.https://photos.app.goo.gl/O32ZjgzSzgK7LAyt1

Couldn't find anything about it.

Edited by NDBirdman

2002 Fifth Avenue RV (RIP) 2015 Ram 3500 Mega-cab DRW(38k miles), 6.7L Cummins Diesel, A668RFE, 3.73, 14,000 GVWR, 5,630 Payload, 27,300 GCWR, 18,460 Max Trailer Weight Rating(For Sale) , living in the frigid north, ND.

That is really strange looking. Almost like something heavy fell across the cab just in front of the windshield.

Dennis & Nancy
Tucson, AZ in winter, on the road in summer.

1999 Volvo 610 "Bud" 425 HP Volvo, Super 10 spd.
2005 Mountain Aire 35 BLKS
2013 smart fortwo CityFlame riding on Bud
(Replaced '05 smart first loaded in '06

and '11 smart that gave it's life to save me!)
Our Travel Blog

Looks like the hood is completely gone. In that area they maybe hit a deer that pushed everything up. Sorry for their loss and hope they are ok as it looks like they had to call in the helicopter.

2005 Freightliner Century S/T, Singled, Air ride ET Jr. hitch
2019 46'+ Dune Sport Man Cave custom 5th wheel toy hauler
Owner of the 1978 Custom Van "Star Dreamer" which might be seen at a local car show near you!

Check out http://www.hhrvresource.com/

for much more info on HDT's.

Here is another link to the same wreck. I would say GlennWest's link picture shown the ready for towing. No idea idea on the shade of the RV

https://clarksvillenow.com/local/traffic-alert-i-24-w-completely-closed-at-exit-11-due-to-overturned-semi/

Clay

Clay & Marcie Too old to play in the snow

Diesel pusher and previously 2 FW and small Class C

12 minutes ago, ms60ocb said:

Here is another link to the same wreck. I would say GlennWest's link picture shown the ready for towing. No idea idea on the shade of the RV

https://clarksvillenow.com/local/traffic-alert-i-24-w-completely-closed-at-exit-11-due-to-overturned-semi/

Clay

This link says the tractor "overturned." The damage could very well be from that and not from hitting something.

Rob

2012 F350 CC LB DRW 6.7
2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes, solar, DP windows
Full-time since 8/2015

StatesVisited20210913_small.jpg

Noticed that too. I figured hitch didn't  hold it and camper came forward. Don't see a lot of damage to camper though. If it overturned, likely camper just resting on truck. Maybe tied down or setting up to tie down for towing. 

2003 Teton Grand Freedom towed with 2006 Freightliner Century 120 across the beautiful USA welding pipe.https://photos.app.goo.gl/O32ZjgzSzgK7LAyt1

43 minutes ago, phoenix2013 said:

The front of the camper is against the back of the cab. That's strange, it can't be that far forward and still be attached either to a commercial hitch, or an RV hitch behind the axle. 

Looks like the camper is where it's suppose to be , to me . I see light down the front of it .
dabed401-4c28-4355-bfaa-229832d1ef9f-i40

Edited by Pat & Pete

Goes around , comes around .

1 hour ago, Danandfreda said:

Read another article that said a commercial semi overturned. Wondering if the rv/semi hit the overturned truck

Howdy Dan,

You may be on to something, I would "assume" if the RV truck had over turned the camper would be wreaked and that exhaust pipe sure wouldn't be standing tall over the cab.  I think there is more to this story.

Dave

2001 Peterbilt, 379, Known As "Semi-Sane II", towing a 2014 Voltage 3818, 45 foot long toy hauler crammed full of motorcycles of all types.  Visit my photo web site where you will find thousands of photos of my motorcycle wanderings and other aspects of my life, click this link. http://mr-cob.smugmug.com/

IMG_4282-600x310.jpg

Either the "reporters" are mis-informed (likely) or there are two vehicles involved.  Common, though incorrect, terminology is to say '18 wheeler" for any road tractor/trailer combo.  But, there could be another vehicle beside the one in the picture.  And if the pictured tractor had indeed overturned, the mirrors wouldn't both still be attached.

Years of being a volunteer fireman and EMT taught me to never believe what you read, and only half of what you see.

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN
Lots of old motorcycles, Moto Guzzi Griso and Spyder F3 currently in the front row
Young enough to play in the dirt as a retired farmer.
contact me at rickeieio1@comcast.net

The truck is basically intact, except passenger side front. And no, the trailer is way too far forward, there has to be at least 5 feet of space between the back of cab and trailer front to go around the corner. It would make sense if there was something substantial in the road and the driver tried to maneuver around it and caught it with the right front.  

I agree with Phoenix the trailer is ahead. There are some boxes sitting back of sleeper tight to the trailer, and the rear of the truck looks very tight to the trailer.

My guess, for 500 points and a chance to advance to the next round, is the truck hit a flat deck type vehicle from behind in a swing to the left while standing on the binders maneuver.

There is a lot of structural damage

I’ve been wrong at least twice before 

"Are we there yet?" asked no motorcycle rider, ever. 

1 hour ago, noteven said:

My guess, for 500 points and a chance to advance to the next round, is the truck hit a flat deck type vehicle from behind in a swing to the left while standing on the binders maneuver.

For a chance, for another 500 points, did the valve stem get pulled off the Right Front Tire? Note the extra large spot at wheel's 3 o.clock

Clay

I have sent the news agency an Email asking if more pictures and details are available

Edited by ms60ocb
Request for more info

Clay & Marcie Too old to play in the snow

Diesel pusher and previously 2 FW and small Class C

"18-Wheeler towing a Motor Home".  Apparently the article author has no clue.  The tractor is NOT an 18 wheeler and a 5th wheel trailer is NOT a Motor Home.   Additionally the term "Semi" applied to our HDT's is totally wrong.  "Semi" means "half" and refers only to the trailer since it is not self supporting with wheels in the front and back.  (Any vehicle - even a car - pulling a non-self supporting trailer is a "Semi" trailer combination.) I feel for the owner/passengers and hope he (she) and any others involved are OK.    But it always rattles my craw when people, especially reporters, think that the ONLY RV is a Motor Home and all HDT's are "18 wheelers" or Semi's and can't tell the difference between a TT, fifth wheel or Motor Home.  Geez, if you are a reporter learn to do your research if you don't know what it is and report it correctly. 

Like Rick, I spent 30 years as a volunteer EMS provider and worked my fair share of vehicle accidents.  It was a rare event when the newspaper or TV reported an accident's details correctly.  They often had to "embellish" the article so it would catch the reader or listener's eye and either left out or added to the story to make it more appealing.  Looking at the second link pic I agree the fiver is too far forward indicating damage to the pin or hitch moving the trailer forward as can happen in a abrupt stop of the tow vehicle without enough time or distance to properly engage magnetic trailer drum brakes.  I've seen this happen on PU trucks with devastating results as the fiver crashed into the truck cab.  I noted a flat right front tire and damage that looks to me like the HDT was hit at the front of the passenger door with force moving forward.  Perhaps the HDT was sideswiped by a faster moving vehicle?   I strongly suspect a second vehicle is involved but not shown or mentioned.  Bringing in a helicopter to do a medical evacuation would shut down all traffic if it had to land on the roadway as pictured - but that's usually only for the period of time it takes to do the evacuation.  On most occasions we would place our rescue vehicles and fire engines so as to intentionally block or reroute traffic away from personnel for our safety while we worked to remove the accident victims and road debris.  This often completely shut down a highway unless there was a paved shoulder to safely bypass on and a contingent of law enforcement to direct traffic.  Actually, we were not allowed to direct traffic - that was a LEO responsibility.  Thus, we typically blocked traffic if the accident vehicle(s) were on the road which effectively closed it down.  For this accident it is probable that a second vehicle was in the adjacent lane which makes traffic flow literally impossible while maintaining first responder safety.  Just guessing from what clues I can see.

300.JPG.c2a50e50210ede7534c4c440c7f9aa80.JPG

Randy, Nancy and Oscar

"The Great White" - 2004 Volvo VNL670, D12, 10-speed, converted to single axle pulling a Keystone Cambridge 5th wheel, 40', 4 slides and about 19,000# with empty tanks.

ARS - WB4BZX, Electrical Engineer, Master Electrician, D.Ed., Professor Emeritus - Happily Retired!

Randy, I detect an annoyance with the reporting herein and general ignorance about the subject matter being reported upon. That would require having intellectual curiosity on the subject of reportage. Modern journalism is driven by clicks, sensationalism, fearmongering and activism, not facts and accuracy. I have a curious mind and decided to waste few minutes to see how Stanford and Loyola shape the young minds of budding journalist and communications majors.

k14vmDUl.jpg

tCW7FdOl.jpg

Just looking at these offerings gives me a foreboding feeling of how out of touch I am, perhaps I should audit some of these.

11 hours ago, phoenix2013 said:

Randy, I detect an annoyance with the reporting herein and general ignorance about the subject matter being reported upon.

It shouldn't have taken much to pick up on that.  Yes, I am sick and tired of media reporting that thrives on misinformation and inaccurate reporting with the prime objective to excite their readers/watchers or listeners enough to read their paper so that their ratings will go up and they can set a higher price for advertising.  Same for TV and commercials.  There is also the issue of simply being clueless or stupid not to mention political bias and fear that reporting the truth will bring unwanted repercussions - a road I will not go down.

Having been a college professor and Dean of Education at one institution I am extremely intimate with the higher education mix, I would discourage you from wasting your time and money auditing any of the courses above.  You see, most of those "liberal" courses are content driven by "opinion" rather than fact.  Both by the institution and professor.  While textbooks do not dictate a specific curriculum their content is typically driven by institutional bias that leaves out the basic concept of critical thinking as an individual.  Or, as you apparently possess - the what, why and how of any communication along with the simple test of "Does it make sense?"  Any inaccuracy or ignorance of the facts in a report tell me that person has no business writing the article, their editor is also ignorant of the subject and therefore the entire publication is open to question.

This is getting way off topic.  But you asked the question and in truth my answer is part opinion and part fact in itself differing only in that I am not selling anything.

Anyway, it is fun and a good exercise in observation, fact checking and critical thinking to try and analyze what might have happened in the reported accident based on the short description and photographs.  While the individuals gathered on this thread have consistently shown that they are smarter than the average observer,  many lesser acute readers will not go that far in their thinking and possibly surmise that the accident and highway shutdown were totally the fault of the "18-wheeler" (which includes those pulling "motor homes") and leave with the feeling that such vehicles are inherently deadly and should be banned from the 4-wheeler's highways.  🙂

1 hour ago, noteven said:

The edumacated amongst you are leaving me in the "dust of this discussion..." being not holding of a college degree and all... 

Some of the most "clueless" people I know have college educations.  Don't sell yourself short by using that yardstick.  College educations can easily "backfire" and create a bias that snuffs out critical thinking or even acquiring new knowledge beyond their major.  I've seen it happen way too often - indoctrination in a specific subject or curriculum can leave one with an extremely narrow view of the real world.  You know the definition of an "expert":  an ex is a has-been and a spurt is just a little more than a drip.

Sandsys's question below is what I would hope individuals might ask upon seeing the photograph (among others previously posted).

10 hours ago, sandsys said:

Flat tire cause or effect?

Edited by RandyA
grammar and syntax corrections

300.JPG.c2a50e50210ede7534c4c440c7f9aa80.JPG

Randy, Nancy and Oscar

"The Great White" - 2004 Volvo VNL670, D12, 10-speed, converted to single axle pulling a Keystone Cambridge 5th wheel, 40', 4 slides and about 19,000# with empty tanks.

ARS - WB4BZX, Electrical Engineer, Master Electrician, D.Ed., Professor Emeritus - Happily Retired!

thanks to Sandsys'sz observation - how bout this:

steer tire sudden loss of air, correct reaction in a truck is apply full power to regain control, then reduce speed and stop

normal reaction - apply brakes while gee hawing wheel 

causing

overcorrection to left and landing upon guardrail which is piled under the truck - 

except - the direction of damage seems to occur on the lower right first... 

The vehicle seems to be on a single lane - like an on or off ramp - 

We could always read the news story!  ok that was bad....

The host is going to kick me off the game show here right away... 

"Are we there yet?" asked no motorcycle rider, ever.