Smart car "sweet spot" in model years

rpsinc

450 model won't be on your radar, even though it's the only model under 102" bumper to bumper. You would only see them as a gas engine, or a grey-market diesel. The rest of the world got only diesel 450's. 
451's were longer, wider, and ride better. They're 106" long, so it's not a huge jump, but be aware. The whole world went to petrol engines, so that's all you'll find. Some turbo models are out there, but rare.
453's are the same size, but the body styling makes them seem larger than the 451's. Being the most recent model, these will have the lowest mileage, typically, and have been proven to be a reliable drivetrain.
The trim levels start with "Prime", then "Passion", then "Brabus". The cabriolet option is available in each trim level, and it's up to you to decide if it's worth the extra price. They have a history of being finicky, and troublesome.

Edited by Darryl&Rita

I have been wrong before, I'll probably be wrong again. 

2000 Kenworth T 2000 w/N-14 and 10 speed Gen1 Autoshift, deck built by Star Fabrication
2006 smart fourtwo cdi cabriolet
2007 32.5' Fleetwood Quantum

Please e-mail us here.

Ours is a 2016 #1 Edition.  That is a Prime with some LED lighting upgrades, nicer instrumentation,  and it is turbo.  Much faster than our 2011 Prime was.  

Chet & Deb
'01 Volvo 660 w/ Smart
'19 Forest River Columbus 320RS 5th wheel
2022 Chev 2500HD Long Bed
Retired CWO4, USN and federal service
Electronics Tech/Network Engineer/Welder/Machinist

I am now on my third Smart. First was 2013. A prime. It had some shifting issues. A simple transaxle grease upgrade was cure but deer ending its life early on. Next was 2015 Passion. Good car, got flooded and totaled. Now have a 2016 Prime. Just turned 90k miles on it. Just ordered spark plugs, disc brake pads, wipers and oil filter. Not anything wrong with it just mileage dictates it. Only issue i have with 453 is the fuel tank. It is difficult to fill. Gas will go good for 3 gallons. Click off. Then if you have a pump that will pump slow, you can finished filling. Up to 10 gallons. My 2015 done this too. Mercedes put new tank in. No change. All I done to 2016 is 2 rear tires, tailgate upgrade for storage. Oh, did replace driver door but not car fault. The 453s shift just like others cars due to different clutch. Early models shifted like our trucks. 

2003 Teton Grand Freedom towed with 2006 Freightliner Century 120 across the beautiful USA welding pipe.https://photos.app.goo.gl/O32ZjgzSzgK7LAyt1

Our first was 2005 450 Passion. Gray market out of Germany, federalized. 62nd smart in the US. Good runner, rough ride until I upgraded the tires. Mercedes built gas turbo. A few issues with the US added emissions equip and it had developed a crack in the turbo housing that would have become an issue if it had not been involved in a fender bender. It was repairable, but insurance co. wrote it off due to gray market parts. Paid me a fair price.

Our second was a 2011 451 Passion. Mitsubishi gas naturally aspirated, a tad bit slower than the Mercedes turbo, but better ride. Gave it's life to save mine. 

Our current is a 2013 451 Passion with the CityFlame package, noticeably better ride than the other two, probably due to tires. 

No experience with a 453.

https://www.evilution.co.uk is a good place to go for info.

Dennis & Nancy
Tucson, AZ in winter, on the road in summer.

1999 Volvo 610 "Bud" 425 HP Volvo, Super 10 spd.
2005 Mountain Aire 35 BLKS
2013 smart fortwo CityFlame riding on Bud
(Replaced '05 smart first loaded in '06

and '11 smart that gave it's life to save me!)
Our Travel Blog

On 8/12/2021 at 9:17 PM, Darryl&Rita said:

453's are the same size, but the body styling makes them seem larger than the 451's. 

The 453's are 4" wider than the 451's were.

MY PEOPLE SKILLS ARE JUST FINE.
~It's my tolerance to idiots that needs work.~

2005 Volvo 780 VED12 465hp / Freedomline transmission
singled mid position / Bed by Larry Herrin
2018 customed Mobile Suites 40KSSB3 

2014 smart Fortwo

7 hours ago, Big5er said:

The 453's are 4" wider than the 451's were.

You are correct. I shall modify my footer quote.

2000 Kenworth T 2000 w/N-14 and 10 speed Gen1 Autoshift, deck built by Star Fabrication

Please e-mail us here.

Actually the models are Pure, Passion and Prime. Brabus was a special model. With Pure being the lowest model. The 2016 and 2017 gas models appear to the better ones to get. The turbo charger in our 2016 makes it move quite well. We do not have the fueling issue that Glen has. 

2005 Freightliner Century S/T, Singled, Air ride ET Jr. hitch
2019 46'+ Dune Sport Man Cave custom 5th wheel toy hauler
Owner of the 1978 Custom Van "Star Dreamer" which might be seen at a local car show near you!

Check out http://www.hhrvresource.com/

for much more info on HDT's.

This what is my #1 Edition?

Edition #1 Package
Panorama Roof, Fog Lamps, Rain & Light Sensor, Wheels: 16" 8-Y-Spoke Alloy, LED Lighting, Daytime Running Lights w/Integrated Light Guide, LED Tail Lights, Edition #1 Sticker, Specific Floor Mats, Urban, Alloy Pedals w/Rubber Studs, Chrome Tip Exhaust, Lowered Suspension (-10mm), Shift Paddles, Tires: 16"
Edited by NeverEasy
Added info

Chet & Deb
'01 Volvo 660 w/ Smart
'19 Forest River Columbus 320RS 5th wheel
2022 Chev 2500HD Long Bed
Retired CWO4, USN and federal service
Electronics Tech/Network Engineer/Welder/Machinist

13 hours ago, Star Dreamer said:

Actually the models are Pure, Passion and Prime. Brabus was a special model. With Pure being the lowest model. The 2016 and 2017 gas models appear to the better ones to get. The turbo charger in our 2016 makes it move quite well. We do not have the fueling issue that Glen has. 

How many gallons do you get in say at 2 bars on gas gauge? Mine will click off around 4 gallons. It will hold 4 more. 

Gauge will show full either way.  

Edited by GlennWest

2003 Teton Grand Freedom towed with 2006 Freightliner Century 120 across the beautiful USA welding pipe.https://photos.app.goo.gl/O32ZjgzSzgK7LAyt1

Found a 2012 Smart for two Coupe with 49000 miles for $5900.  Seems like a fair deal when comparing to other available units.  Front and rear bumpers have road rash as it was a commuter car.  I know how to paint so, that isnt a knock out for me.

What say you?

Marcel

I paid too much for my 2016 but it was very low mileage and every other in that year was way more. They not importing anymore so low mileage is preferred. I had to pay a premium to get that. 

9 hours ago, GlennWest said:

How many gallons do you get in say at 2 bars on gas gauge? Mine will click off around 4 gallons. It will hold 4 more. 

Gauge will show full either way.  

The tank capacity per the owners manual is only 8.7 total! I never pay much attention when I am only at two bars, but I think I typically put in around 6 gallons when we are down to one bar. I do usually top it off some manually after the pump triggers automatically.

Owner of the 1978 Custom Van "Star Dreamer" which might be seen at a local car show near you!

On 8/14/2021 at 4:44 PM, Star Dreamer said:

That's what I get for typing too fast when tired.

Please e-mail us here.

I believe the advertised fuel capacity on the 453 is about 12 US ga, but we can never get more than about 5 in ours when showing 1 bar.  Seems I read somewhere about the gauge being a PO...inaccurate.

We've gotten as high as 55 mpg in our 2016, but average is high 30s to low 40s.

Other than the time I killed the battery and had to tear the interior apart to find that silly yellow button, ours has been trouble free..

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN
Lots of old motorcycles, Moto Guzzi Griso and Spyder F3 currently in the front row
Young enough to play in the dirt as a retired farmer.
contact me at rickeieio1@comcast.net

On 8/15/2021 at 6:15 PM, GlennWest said:

I have put 11 gallons in mine and still 1 bar and no warning 

I can only go by what the owners manual says as the most we have put in is 7.2 gallons. 

Owners manual says it has a 8.7 gallon tank and a 1.3 gallon reserve. It states that when you get to the reserve, a yellow fuel pump light will flash and a warning tone will sound. It then also displays how much reserve fuel is left. 

We have never run our down that low to see but maybe I will try someday as long as I have an extra 2 gallon can of fuel just in case. I do not like running a fuel injected car our of fuel! 

This thread comes at a perfect time for us. We too are getting ready to park a Smart on the truck.

Want to winch it up on the truck.  Where/how do I connect to it?

Following with keen interest.

Edited by trimster

Robert & Lisa
'14 Keystone Fuzion 315 38' 5er

2015 Volvo VNL 670, D13, iShift 'The Tartis' (ours)

2013 Smart Fortwo Passion 'K-9'

2011 CanAm Spyder RT Limited (Ours)

We are both USAF vets.

LbjZhp0l.jpg

Spendy mount... Blue Ox BX2004 Baseplate for Smart Car https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0197YIR2C/ref=cm_sw_r_apan_glt_fabc_TFQ2B8Y50ZABRWX22VS1

I think there's a company in calif that makes an adapter of some kind. I'll research.

Robert & Lisa
'14 Keystone Fuzion 315 38' 5er

2015 Volvo VNL 670, D13, iShift 'The Tartis' (ours)

2013 Smart Fortwo Passion 'K-9'

2011 CanAm Spyder RT Limited (Ours)

We are both USAF vets.

LbjZhp0l.jpg