Smart car "sweet spot" in model years

rpsinc

So looking at the UK Smart forum, newer (451) models,  they have 2 tow bolt attachments on the front bumper. UK version has only one. They swapp out the bumper under the body. 

I think they are the same bolt size as the rear tow attachment points. Seems one could just purchase the 3rd party bolts,  fab up a square tube cross bar and hook point. 

Robert & Lisa
'14 Keystone Fuzion 315 38' 5er

2015 Volvo VNL 670, D13, iShift 'The Tartis' (ours)

2013 Smart Fortwo Passion 'K-9'

2011 CanAm Spyder RT Limited (Ours)

We are both USAF vets.

LbjZhp0l.jpg

5 minutes ago, GlennWest said:

Our 453 only has 1 bolt hole.

Apparently there's a second one on the right side. Just not cut out of the body work.

Robert & Lisa

We are both USAF vets.

LbjZhp0l.jpg

34 minutes ago, geodog said:

The 453 has Only one bolt boss on both the front and back.

ShortyO

Bolt boss... that's a mounting point on the metal bumper? 

Robert & Lisa

We are both USAF vets.

LbjZhp0l.jpg

We had a Canadian 450 diesel that was a great little car...very good fuel mileage. We then ordered a new 2017 Brabus full load and it has been great. Much faster car and much better shifting dual clutch 6 speed auto transmission. Also, the large touch screen+JBL audio system with Apple car play and Android auto work well. If you can I'd go with the 2016/17 gas turbo if you can find one.

6 hours ago, trimster said:

Apparently there's a second one on the right side. Just not cut out of the body work.

That is true for the 451,  2015 and earlier.  The 453 of 2016-2017 has just one "nut" in the steel cross member/bumper.

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN
Lots of old motorcycles, Moto Guzzi Griso and Spyder F3 currently in the front row
Young enough to play in the dirt as a retired farmer.
contact me at rickeieio1@comcast.net

Think we have found a good 2013 Smart locally. $9600  

https://cars.ksl.com/listing/7336841

It's in super shape. One owner. It has comes with the bike rack shown in the listing (which is tied to the rear two bumper tow bolts). Downside is no turbo and automatic, which is kinda gutless. First time I have driven one of these. Roomy inside but no really getup and go. Tires are close to the wear bars.

It was a toad for a while. So it has the tow kit attachments in the front, wiring, and the tow bars included. I'll probably sell the tow bar.

Thoughts on this one, welcome.

Robert & Lisa

We are both USAF vets.

LbjZhp0l.jpg

Rick has a point.  The novelty of smart cars has definitely worn off up here and prices are way cheaper.  Could be worth finding out what paperwork is involved in importing.  American dealers buy used cars from our dealer auctions all the time when the exchange rate is favourable.

Nigel

2006 Volvo VNL 430, 2006 smart cabrio cdi, 2000 Triple E Topaz 30'

So, here in Utah and the region, the gas versions are still holding higher prices. Electrics...not so much.

We bought the one I listed. Paid too much probably. Having the front and rear tow bar mounts already done is valuable for us.

I now have the really cool bike rack and the StowMaster 5000 tow bar for sale.

The only big surprise is that the radio head unit does not work. I think it can be replaced with something better. Researching this now.

Robert & Lisa

We are both USAF vets.

LbjZhp0l.jpg

58 minutes ago, trimster said:

The only big surprise is that the radio head unit does not work. I think it can be replaced with something better. Researching this now.

Factory ICE head units have a theft prevention security code. If you're not careful, changing the battery can trigger the theft prevention. If your car didn't come with a 4 digit PIN, time to replace it. Look for a business card sized piece of cardstock, with a Mercedes logo on it. 

I have been wrong before, I'll probably be wrong again. 

2000 Kenworth T 2000 w/N-14 and 10 speed Gen1 Autoshift, deck built by Star Fabrication
2006 smart fourtwo cdi cabriolet
2007 32.5' Fleetwood Quantum

Please e-mail us here.

3 minutes ago, Darryl&Rita said:

Factory ICE head units have a theft prevention security code. If you're not careful, changing the battery can trigger the theft prevention. If your car didn't come with a 4 digit PIN, time to replace it. Look for a business card sized piece of cardstock, with a Mercedes logo on it. 

Okay. Battery was replaced a short while ago. Maybe that triggered it.

Where does one enter the code? This unit does not come on at all.

Robert & Lisa

We are both USAF vets.

LbjZhp0l.jpg

1 hour ago, trimster said:

Okay. Battery was replaced a short while ago. Maybe that triggered it.

Where does one enter the code? This unit does not come on at all.

Use the buttons on the front of the radio. I'd have to Google it myself. Your manual should have a section with it, assuming you got a manual. Without the code, you're boned. anyway. 9999 possible codes to guess your way through.

2000 Kenworth T 2000 w/N-14 and 10 speed Gen1 Autoshift, deck built by Star Fabrication

Please e-mail us here.

1 minute ago, Darryl&Rita said:

Use the buttons on the front of the radio. I'd have to Google it myself. Your manual should have a section with it, assuming you got a manual. Without the code, you're boned. anyway. 9999 possible codes to guess your way through.

So the radio is dead. No power. Does not fire up. I'm thinking it's toast. But I will pull it out and check for power to the connector...if I can find the right pin.

Robert & Lisa

We are both USAF vets.

LbjZhp0l.jpg

Dead doesn't sound right. It should power up, but give an indication of "Locked" status. Crutchfield has a lot of online resources for audio and video.

Please e-mail us here.

On 8/18/2021 at 8:09 AM, trimster said:

This thread comes at a perfect time for us. We too are getting ready to park a Smart on the truck.

Want to winch it up on the truck.  Where/how do I connect to it?

Following with keen interest.

Hook the cables to the truck battery under the drivers door and suck it right up on the truck. Mine is a 2008.

Winch set up.jpg

Nice.

I have the winch on the truck-side. I pull up a Can Am trike as well. Need to build a pull-bar across the fender/frame pull points. Fortunately my Smart has front and read pull points exposed. Should be easy. Just need to get some steel tubing like you show in your setup.

I'm imagining that you have those eye bolts thru a slot in the back of the tubing? I think I will just bolt the tubing right to the pull points and call it good. Extra crash protection 🤔

Robert & Lisa

We are both USAF vets.

LbjZhp0l.jpg

To mount the draw bar like you want Robert you may need some bolts like this.  https://smartmadness.com/?route=product%2Fsearch&search=Bumper+bolts 

The tow eyes are an uncommon thread but some of the bike racks were mounted that way so you may already have the bolts.  Others have pulled from a trailer hitch also.  

Nigel

2006 Volvo VNL 430, 2006 smart cabrio cdi, 2000 Triple E Topaz 30'