Must stop weigh station states

trimster

Is there a list somewhere of states that really enforce the 'GVW must pull in' ?

I've had no issues blowing by weigh stations in Ut, Idaho, Oregon,  Washington, New Mexico, Colorado, wyoming. 

I'm headed into Montana & So Dakota in the fall. Not sure about those states and others who enforce more strictly.

Thanks.

Robert & Lisa
'14 Keystone Fuzion 315 38' 5er

2015 Volvo VNL 670, D13, iShift 'The Tartis' (ours)

2013 Smart Fortwo Passion 'K-9'

2011 CanAm Spyder RT Limited (Ours)

We are both USAF vets.

LbjZhp0l.jpg

4 minutes ago, Steve from SoCal said:

Bob

Unless the scale specifically states RV don't bother with stopping. 

More and more say 'All vehicles over xxxx GVW must stop.

Not "trucks" but "vehicles ". That's my concern. And look to be newer signage. 

Edited by trimster

Robert & Lisa

We are both USAF vets.

LbjZhp0l.jpg

What Steve said ^

I got a "Report to Scale" electronic sign motoring southbound down I-15 south of Pocatello at the Inkom Port of Entry, ID scale.  I floored the little hummin Cummins in my KW with dools and ran for it while a handy cow truck on the scale blocked the windas. I escaped to UT... at least that's my internet drama/campfire/happy hour story....

What likely really happened: my BIG RIG RV doesn't have the you don't need to stop at scales commercial transmitter dealie picked up by the white antenna hanging over the highway ahead of the scale so my BIG RIG triggered the "you get your butt into our scale" sign when I stayed in the travel lane.  Enforcement people on duty looked at their cameras and screen system because there was a cow truck in front of their windas and said, "It's just another one of them hobby trucker RV tourists Norm." 

"But I escaped...." -that's my bs story... 

But

If enforcement people at the scale want to have a chat with you, they can, and will hop in a vehicle with flashing lights and expect you to stop when they pull in behind you. They can also request you demonstrate road worthiness, insurance, correct driver license etc. I expect most of them can see with their eyes the rig is not "overweight". They are used to what tires look like on heavy working trucks.

I have no signs, sayings, stickers, dee cals, numbers of any kind on my truck. So the official needs to decide if I'm a ghost sneaky commercial RV mover/hauler guy that's made it this far without the correct required commercial markings on my truck - or a private truck on private pleasure tour travel not subject to reporting to scales under normal circumstances to have my axle loading weighed and my load dimensions and attachment looked over. 

So far they've all decided at least 100+ times I'm a hobby trucker.  I've even had a couple officers on patrol comment on the rig in a positive manner. 

Oh and I almost forgot when I got yapping away:  My province's registration is "Private Truck" so the registered GVW box is blank.  So that would be my fall back explanation if ever I was stopped and asked why I drove by: "I don't have a registered GVW"

Edited by noteven

"Are we there yet?" asked no motorcycle rider, ever. 

I was in one of the automated truck lanes coming up on a weigh station.  A reefer in front of me. Both of us got the 'Truck can pass' electronic sign. I'm guessing it was a pre-pass on the reefer, and a 'you're not over weight, nothing to see here' on my rig.

Robert & Lisa

We are both USAF vets.

LbjZhp0l.jpg

17 minutes ago, steiny93 said:

I'm assuming you are registered as an RV; if so check this out: https://www.godownsize.com/motorhomes-weigh-stations/ 3/4's down the page they have intel by state.

MT and SD; no stop for owned RV's.

We are registered motorhome.

Interesting but reading it, one is confused more. I.e. Utah is listed as a 'must stop' state. Live there,  never eyeballed a motorhome in a weigh station unless it was being transported to a dealer.

It does seem that it's up the LEO and how their day is going. Subjective not objective enforcement. Not a good way to run a show.

Edited by trimster

Robert & Lisa

We are both USAF vets.

LbjZhp0l.jpg

That list includes Utah and Colorado.  I stopped awhile back and asked them.  They said please do NOT stop.  We can see that it is Mom and Pop pulling their RV and we are not interested.  We have enough with the commercial vehicles.  I have blown past a number of weigh stations and never been bothered.  One time in Colorado they had a roadside weigh station and a sign all trucks must stop.  As I blew by an officer came running out.  As soon as he made out the 5er he just waved and headed back to his post.  Some places may require us to stop but unless it is obvious I don't stop.

Randy

2001 Volvo VNL 42 Cummins ISX Autoshift

Thanks all. I had heard that SD & ND had cracked down. Guess not...which is a good thing. 

Robert & Lisa

We are both USAF vets.

LbjZhp0l.jpg

Most of the weigh stations in SD are marked “RVs excluded”, although the fancy light up sign comes on. The weight station on I29 North of Sioux City does not have the exclusion sign, I’ve never pulled in though.

For what it’s worth, my empty one ton triggers the SD signs.

I highly doubt you will have any trouble with ND. The only two weigh stations used regularly are I94 west bound from Fargo, and I29 near Wahpeton. Most of their time is spent on mobile patrols.

I would be more concerned about MN in this area, they are the anything 10000 lbs plus type. For what its worth, I have never pulled in with the RV and they have never responded.

We use to live in MN with our HDT and they do not require RVs to stop.  

We just went thru SD and MN a couple weeks ago and even though lighted signs show truck to pull in, we never do. So far in the 20-25 states in 10 years with the HDT we have been in, I haven't seen any that said RVs (except for agriculture stops). We keep waiting for them to pull out after us but hasn't happened yet. 

2005 Freightliner Century S/T, Singled, Air ride ET Jr. hitch
2019 46'+ Dune Sport Man Cave custom 5th wheel toy hauler
Owner of the 1978 Custom Van "Star Dreamer" which might be seen at a local car show near you!

Check out http://www.hhrvresource.com/

for much more info on HDT's.

22 hours ago, Moresmoke said:

Most of the weigh stations in SD are marked “RVs excluded”, although the fancy light up sign comes on. The weight station on I29 North of Sioux City does not have the exclusion sign, I’ve never pulled in though.

For what it’s worth, my empty one ton triggers the SD signs.

I highly doubt you will have any trouble with ND. The only two weigh stations used regularly are I94 west bound from Fargo, and I29 near Wahpeton. Most of their time is spent on mobile patrols.

I would be more concerned about MN in this area, they are the anything 10000 lbs plus type. For what its worth, I have never pulled in with the RV and they have never responded.

There are the 2 rest stops just east of Bismarck on I-94 that the State Patrol uses as a truck DOT inspection location.  I've blown by it so many times bobtail I doubt they even look anymore...

Alie & Jim + 8 paws

2017 DRV Memphis 

BART- 1998 Volvo 610

Lil'ole 6cyl Cummins

Made it back to home base. Went by lots of weight stations....narry a LEO rising to the occasion. Oregon,  most of the width of Idaho,  and south to Salt Lake. 

Thanks for the input folks.

Robert & Lisa

We are both USAF vets.

LbjZhp0l.jpg

You are no longer a commercial vehicle and therefore have no licenced commercial GVWR, you are either a motorhome or an oversized pickup truck as far as the DOT are concerned. 

As others have stated, if they see/feel that there is something with your rig they will come and chase you down.  In all of my years of RV'ing the only scale I pulled into (had a one ton dually and 38ft Fifth at the time) was the Yahk Scale in British Columbia and the only reason I did was they had special temporary signage up for RV's to report for inspection. On that day the port was backwards.....RV's report, commercial vehicles roll on....

Most states that have those "weigh in motion" speed bumps and pre height checks a couple miles before the station, will have state of the art cameras connected to massive data bases that will know what you had for breakfast before you order it.

I called Oregon motor carrier division and asked. They said please do not clog our scale lines. We will know everything there is to know about you and your rig long before you pass the station.

I called Washington state and had to go to the state highway patrol to ask that same question. They too replied same as Oregon. We know what and who you are long before you get to the station. Just keep driving please.

Local Oregon scale signs still say trucks. Washington say vehicles. Oregon says 20,000lbs. Washington says 16,000lbs. In washington that includes T plated pickups pulling HT trailers and most box vans even those not requiring a cdl.

I'm a work'n on it.