Your help would be Appreciated

Sam Forcenito

Hello all,
I am new to this forum but not new to camping, I have been camping with my family since I was a baby, and have always loved the camping lifestyle and the great camping family. I am now 22 and a senior in college preparing to graduate with a degree in environmental studies with the hopes of gaining a career that will allow me to experience and educate others on the outdoors. I join this forum to ask for your assistance in a survey that I am conducting as part of my honors thesis. The goal of my thesis is to discover what impacts camping and its associated activities have on the environment. The answers are completely anonymous, and a consent letter is attached to the survey that can be found via the attached link. The survey will take less than 15 minutes to complete and I would really appreciate if some of you can fill it out. Google Forms - create and analyze surveys, for free.
Thank you,
Samuel Forcenito

1 hour ago, Sam Forcenito said:

This is not a phony post, 

Then perhaps you could list the college/university and way to verify the validity of the survey. LInks are wonderful things and most of the people on this forum were born, but just not yesterday.

SignatureNewest.jpg.a1bc8322b0862056fd28e25d5b1458db.jpg

I guess my big question is was this vetted through Escapees? 

For the time out I will take you at your word.  I will point out I have never had a salesman say they were lying to me so that part of the reassurance is useless to me..

Edited by bigjim

10 minutes ago, Chalkie said:

Then perhaps you could list the college/university and way to verify the validity of the survey. 

Yes, please. I like doing surveys when I know who actually sponsored them and how the data will be used.

Linda

Blog: http://sandcastle.sandsys.org/

Former Rigs: Liesure Travel van, Winnebago View 24H, Winnebago Journey 34Y, Sportsmobile Sprinter conversion van

The was a note about St Francis College at the top of the survey, a school I have never heard of. But the fodderol at the top looks like what an academic approval board would generate. I just disagree with the premise of the survey, I don't doubt it comes from some academic source which is hostile to our life style.

St Francis is some fourth rate school in Brooklyn NYC which explains the tone.

Edited by agesilaus

St Francis College of Brooklyn Heights, NY

St. Francis College is a private college in Brooklyn Heights, New York. It was founded in 1859 by the Franciscan Brothers of Brooklyn, a Franciscan order, as the St. Francis Academy and was the first private school in the Roman Catholic Diocese of Brooklyn.

Edited by Kirk W

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

The original poster both created his account from an IP address associated with a server from St. Francis, and has an email account from their domain.  Those factors would seem to lend some legitimacy to his story. 

Since we Weekend Moderators are only authorized to close threads that contain obvious commercial or potentially fraudulent content or violations of Escapees policies, and this doesn't appear to fall into those categories, I am allowing this thread to remain open until someone from Livingston can review it and make a decision about it.

Phil

2002 Teton Royal Aspen

2003 Kenworth T2000 - Cat C12 380/430 1450/1650, FreedomLine, 3.36 - TOTO . . . he's not in Kansas anymore.

ET Air Hitch

To those responding, as I briefly stated in the original post, and as the survey states that all the data remains confidential and has been approved by the Institutional Review Board at the college that I attend which is Saint Francis University in Loretto, Pennsylvania, where I am majoring in environmental studies. There is in fact a Saint Francis College in Brooklyn, but that is not the school that I attend. In response to the question about the fuels, as an individual who has spent a lot of time in campgrounds, I have noticed that some tow vehicles do have various deletes, and this survey is in no way criticizing people, or trying to harm anyone in any way, as is mentioned in the informed consent letter.  I am simply conducting a survey for research as part of my honors thesis, which I mentioned in my original post. My apologies for creating any drama here as that was not my intent at all.   

1 hour ago, agesilaus said:

The was a note about St Francis College at the top of the survey, a school I have never heard of. But the fodderol at the top looks like what an academic approval board would generate. I just disagree with the premise of the survey, I don't doubt it comes from some academic source which is hostile to our life style.

St Francis is some fourth rate school in Brooklyn NYC which explains the tone.

Well we know that you obviously hate education.  Just because you've never heard of it doesn't make it 4th rate.  Yes, it is non-compliance right now with it's accrediting body, which it states up front.  Loads of schools are and the reasons can be varied and be the result of something as simple as the wrong paperwork signoffs or something more substantial.  The fact that they report it means they are working towards compliance.   

Is this the wrong forum for this young man, yes because he is thinking of weekenders camping and has no idea of what long-term, full timing, extensive RV travel is all about.   They are not hostile to our lifestyle because they know nothing about it.  Want to help him, drop him a message, like I did, and outline the differences between RVers and campers.  Give him some insight into the differences and show him examples of how we are actually very environmentally conscious in our lifestyles.  We are all masters of minimal water usage for example!   

Or you can continue to show that you are a cranky oldster.  

Barb & Dave O'Keeffe
2002 Alpine 36 MDDS (Figment II), 2018 Ford C-Max HYBRID
Blog: http://www.barbanddave.net
SPK# 90761 FMCA #F337834

24 minutes ago, Barbaraok said:

Well we know that you obviously hate education. 

Or you can continue to show that you are a cranky oldster.  

Hardly I went to Engineer School in Environmental Engineering, actually. We had a number of people from the Environmental Sciences branch going back to school to get their engineering degree after finding what the job market looked like for their degree. My wife has a degree in the elementary eduction field. My daughter is working on a degree in Microbiology.  And my son is working on a PhD in Biochemistry/Genetic engineering at a top ten school. So I am all for education in practical fields.

That education makes it easy to detect certain projects from the Woke-eraty.

Why do you people always descend to personal attacks?

Edited by agesilaus

2 hours ago, agesilaus said:

Hardly I went to Engineer School in Environmental Engineering, actually. We had a number of people from the Environmental Sciences branch going back to school to get their engineering degree after finding what the job market looked like for their degree. My wife has a degree in the elementary eduction field. My daughter is working on a degree in Microbiology.  And my son is working on a PhD in Biochemistry/Genetic engineering at a top ten school. So I am all for education in practical fields.

That education makes it easy to detect certain projects from the Woke-eraty.

You know nothing about the young man.  Did you bother sending him a message and ask him questions.  No, you went off like a grouchy old man on him.   Why?  What was so egregious about the survey?  And using the phrase "Woke-eraty" says so much.  Yes, young people think differently than we do - thank goodness!  Each generation needs to push the boundaries, to expand opportunities for everyone, to try new things.   When you try and put stumbling blocks in their way, don't say you are for education in 'practical' fields.  Whether degrees are something we would like to follow in or not, everyone degree field helps people to learn how to learn.  Did you forget that?  Not everyone can handle DiffyQ, doesn't mean they don't want to go into studying  problems in the environment.   My undergrad is in Chemistry, MS in ChemEng.   I was surprised to find out how little Chemistry Chem Eng students actually knew.  And not being able to draw structures of organic compounds from their names, means that they didn't quickly see the double bonds holding a lot of energy that needed to be accounted for in designing relief values, nor understanding how a chemical would breakdown in a stream and what to monitor for downstream.     Every area of study helps people learn how to learn - and that is really what an education at any level should be all about - how to ask questions and find answers!   

Barb & Dave O'Keeffe
2002 Alpine 36 MDDS (Figment II), 2018 Ford C-Max HYBRID
Blog: http://www.barbanddave.net
SPK# 90761 FMCA #F337834

25 minutes ago, Barbaraok said:

Every area of study helps people learn how to learn - and that is really what an education at any level should be all about - how to ask questions and find answers!   

That is obviously not true. There are many schools in universities now that fail to teach logical thought deliberately in some cases. Indeed logic and science are denounced in some sections of universities these days, loud sections too.

We are far off the subject at this point.

2 hours ago, agesilaus said:

Maybe it's because the poster was attacked at the very beginning.  Re-read how you and others replied.

Environment, what we know and how we can protect it is a big thing nowadays.  We should all be concerned about it.

The survey was simple.

Full-timed for 16 Years
Traveled 8 yr in a 2004 Newmar Dutch Star 40' Motorhome
and 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

If you have any questions about the research, you may contact Dr. Lane Loya at 814-472-3094.

The quote comes from the information about the survey. Having completed the survey, it leaves me thinking that the people doing the research have very little knowledge of any type of RV use. I think that their research survey could be greatly improved if he were to have a conversation with some of us on these forums about RV use and what it is that he wishes to research. 

Edited by Kirk W
completed the survey

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

Mr. Forcenito,

I reviewed the survey and have a question before I take it.  That question relates to the focus on "camping trips."  We don't go camping or take camping trips.  Our fifth wheel is my full time home.  While we do move that home from place to place, there is no sticks-and-bricks home to which we are returning.  If I respond am I creating deceptive data?  For example, we travel several thousand miles each year so our fuel consumption/environmental impact in that area is greater.  Yet our home is under 400 sq. ft.  My heating, cooling and work travel energy consumption is vastly less than when I owned a home in Maine and heated with oil and drove to work sites throughout the state.  The survey seems to be directed at evaluating the environmental impact of people who vacation in trailers and have full time homes, rather than those who live in trailers.  You've posted this survey on a forum in which a significant number of participants are full time RVers.  Guidance?

Jinx and Wayne

2006 Carriage Carri-Lite 36KSQ