General Continental Coach Info Needed, Looking at one to purchase.

BPepper

I found a 2008 Continential Coach for sale I am interested in. I spoke to the owner but I would appreciate some 3 party opinions and views. It seems to be a very nice rv but I have a few concerns. The unit does not have a heated and enclosed underbelly. The waste valves are even out in the open. Also the windows are all single pane. I was expecting it to have a fully enclosed belly and dual pane windows. If anyone has any history or comments about the company in general or about this rv please let me know. I currently have a travel supreme fifth wheel and am looking for something with more room. Thanks

Here is a link to the rv for sale. 

https://www.rvtrader.com/listing/2008-Forks-Rv-CONTINENTAL-COACH-5014458386

Edited by BPepper
Spelling

Continental Coach was a custom builder so they would have built the trailer to the specs requested by the original customer.  If the trailer doesn't have dual pain windows or an enclosed underbelly, it means the original customer did not spec them.  As to the quality of Continental Coach, they were generally regarded as a quality builder.  I know of a couple of members on this forum from the past that owned them, but I have no personal experience with them.

2000 Kenworth T2000 w/ Cummins N14 and autoshift
2017 DRV Mobile Suite 40KSSB4 with factory mods, dealer mods and personal mods - now in the RV graveyard
2022 DRV Full House MX450 with customized floor plan
2018 Polaris RZR Turbo S (fits in the garage)
2016 Smart Car (fits in the garage or gets flat towed behind the DRV when the RZR is in the garage)
My First Solar Install Thread
My Second Solar Install Thread & Photos and Documents Related to the build
My MX450's solar, battery and inverter system - my biggest system yet!

chadheiser.com      West Coast HDT Rally Website

event.png    

AZCACOIDIAKSMNMOMTNENVNMNDOKSDTNTXUTWYxlg.jpg

I spoke with the owner. It was a custom build.  I have heard they were custom built quality units which is why it surprised me that the belly wasn't heated and only single pane windows.  I am just curious if anything else was done cheaper on the build. The owner claims its all solid woodwork inside.  Does anyone know if forks built only quality units or would they build cheaper units if the customers requested it?

That is a long unit, 53'. You will be limited  with rv parks. No unable to find but limited. My tanks not heated. I have single pane. I have seen the drainage line hookup and pipe exposed on a lot of campers. 

2003 Teton Grand Freedom towed with 2006 Freightliner Century 120 across the beautiful USA welding pipe.https://photos.app.goo.gl/O32ZjgzSzgK7LAyt1

We have 2015 41' Continental coach.  Yes, they are all custom builds, the woodwork is all custom work, they made their own frames, their overall workmanship was among the best.  Unfortunately they went out of business like Teton and others.  Our rig has an actual weight of 28,000 lbs.  At 57' you will definitely need a big tractor and may need special permits due to length to transport the rig.  All our plumbing is enclosed in heated compartments.  Depending on your intended use this may  or may not be a good  choice, Best Wishes, Jay

2015 Continental Coach Elegance by Forks RV, 41'; 2015 FL M2 112, DD 13, by 2L Custom Trucks; Trailer Saver air hitch; '48 Navigoddess with a Rand McNally GPS

43 minutes ago, grumpydoc said:

We have 2015 41' Continental coach.  Yes, they are all custom builds, the woodwork is all custom work, they made their own frames, their overall workmanship was among the best.  Unfortunately they went out of business like Teton and others.  Our rig has an actual weight of 28,000 lbs.  At 57' you will definitely need a big tractor and may need special permits due to length to transport the rig.  All our plumbing is enclosed in heated compartments.  Depending on your intended use this may  or may not be a good  choice, Best Wishes, Jay

You bring up a good point. I missed that 57'. Hope it is a typo. I was under the impression 53' was the max. I could be wrong.

2003 Teton Grand Freedom towed with 2006 Freightliner Century 120 across the beautiful USA welding pipe.https://photos.app.goo.gl/O32ZjgzSzgK7LAyt1

Being that they were in AZ, they probably did not feel the need to have a heated belly. Dual pane windows may have been the same reason but we do notice they eliminate alot of excess noise. You can replace the windows with dual pane if you want. Our tanks and lines are exposed underneath but we did have tank heaters installed and I just got done installing heat tape and insulation on our fresh water lines that are exposed just in case we hit any 20 degree temps in our travels.

2005 Freightliner Century S/T, Singled, Air ride ET Jr. hitch
2019 46'+ Dune Sport Man Cave custom 5th wheel toy hauler
Owner of the 1978 Custom Van "Star Dreamer" which might be seen at a local car show near you!

Check out http://www.hhrvresource.com/

for much more info on HDT's.

Glenn, like you, I looked at that and thought it was wrong, but then looked at the pictures and that thing is indeed very long!!  It looks much longer than our 41' and with our freightliner tractor we were right at 64' total.  So even at 53' you would need a 12' tractor just to stay at 65', might be hard to find!😀  Not up to date all the DOT regs so not sure the 65' length is an issue.  Regardless, I know for sure I don't want to pull it.  My little 41 footer was all I wanted!  Best Wishes, Jay

2015 Continental Coach Elegance by Forks RV, 41'; 2015 FL M2 112, DD 13, by 2L Custom Trucks; Trailer Saver air hitch; '48 Navigoddess with a Rand McNally GPS

That trailer length and the rear overhang just seem like trouble.     Even with a day cab that would be 72+ feet long.     The tail swing is what really concerns me.    

Steve

2005 Peterbilt 387-112 Baby Cat 9 speed U-shift

1996/2016 remod Teton Royal Atlanta

1996 Kentucky 48 single drop stacker garage project

catdiesellogo.jpg.e96e571c41096ef39b447f78b9c2027c.jpg Pulls like a train, sounds like a plane....faster than a Cheetah sniffin cocaine.   

Steve, agree with that.  If the OP intends to put it someplace long term and not be hauling it around on a regular basis then it might be a very good buy.  Moving it one time to a location could be hired out to a professional hauler.  But as I said I don't have the desire or expertise to safely handle sometime that big, Best Wishes, Jay

50 minutes ago, grumpydoc said:

But as I said I don't have the desire or expertise to safely handle sometime that big, 

if I had a dollar for every time I heard that......

I still wouldn't have a dollar.

2006 Volvo VNL 780, " Arvey"  Volvo D12, 465hp, 1650 ft/lbs tq., ultrashift

2003 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon

2010 Forest River Coachman Freedom Express 280RLS

Jackalopee

7 hours ago, GlennWest said:

I have seen the drainage line hookup and pipe exposed on a lot of campers. 

Some folks are opposed to dual pane windows - moisture inside the windows? - extra cost? ???

*If* you have ever had the need to replace drain valves .....you would appreciate valves (with easy access)  "outside" on the sewer lines!   (Or - better wording... on outside sewer lines)

"Spec" for me would be dual pane - never needed to change one of those!  - Drain valves outside = "absolutely" !!

Edited by Pappy Yokum

5 minutes ago, rpsinc said:

Wouldnt this topic be better served if NOT in the HDT subject category?

Perhaps Fifth wheels??

Considering that it requires an HDT to tow it, it fits here far better than general 5th wheel topic.     Maybe a MDT "could" tow it, no 1ton cowboys need apply.      Honestly, that is more like a mobile home or park trailer than a traveling RV.

Steve 

2005 Peterbilt 387-112 Baby Cat 9 speed U-shift

1996/2016 remod Teton Royal Atlanta

1996 Kentucky 48 single drop stacker garage project

catdiesellogo.jpg.e96e571c41096ef39b447f78b9c2027c.jpg Pulls like a train, sounds like a plane....faster than a Cheetah sniffin cocaine.   

5 minutes ago, Steve from SoCal said:

Considering that it requires an HDT to tow it, it fits here far better than general 5th wheel topic.     Maybe a MDT "could" tow it, no 1ton cowboys need apply.      Honestly, that is more like a mobile home or park trailer than a traveling RV.

Steve 

Agreed.  Seems like it would make a nice park model.  Not sure I would want to drag that thing around with the way the frame is made.  I'm sure its likely safe but not a usual specimen.

Marcel

48 minutes ago, rpsinc said:

Agreed.  Seems like it would make a nice park model.  Not sure I would want to drag that thing around with the way the frame is made.  I'm sure its likely safe but not a usual specimen.

Have you ever stuck you head under a Continental and looked at the frame?  That would be pretty low on my list of things to worry about.

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN
Lots of old motorcycles, Moto Guzzi Griso and Spyder F3 currently in the front row
Young enough to play in the dirt as a retired farmer.
contact me at rickeieio1@comcast.net

On 11/12/2020 at 11:17 AM, grumpydoc said:

So even at 53' you would need a 12' tractor just to stay at 65', might be hard to find!😀  Not up to date all the DOT regs so not sure the 65' length is an issue.  Regardless, I know for sure I don't want to pull it.  My little 41 footer was all I wanted!  Best Wishes, Jay

Jay, the trailer length itself would be illegal in most states. And like you said, a "normal" size HDT and that monster would exceed the 65ft length, again, in most states. That behemoth just screams "stop me, I'm overlength". 

Edited by Big5er

MY PEOPLE SKILLS ARE JUST FINE.
~It's my tolerance to idiots that needs work.~

2005 Volvo 780 VED12 465hp / Freedomline transmission
singled mid position / Bed by Larry Herrin
2018 customed Mobile Suites 40KSSB3 

2014 smart Fortwo