Tow Vehicle really needed?

jonran5@aol.com

4 hours ago, jonran5@aol.com said:

do you really need a tow vehicle? My DW has all but refused to drive pulling a 5th wheel. If your goal is to move say 4 times a year and you have an alternate car/toad would you save money to hire someone to move your 5th than have the ongoing expense of a tow vehicle?

Any and all opinions are welcome!!

~~John  

Sure it's doable. Any RV dealer should have a list of bonded delivery drivers. It may cost as much as $12 a loaded mile though.

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA ." And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you--ask what you can do for your country.  John F. Kennedy 20 Jan 1961

I too have thought of this, especially with how I move, usually once every Spring and then again in the Fall, depending on where I am. It used to be Midwest to South Florida, but those days are gone. It's now mostly around the Midwest, but over the next few years I want to slowly work my way to the Northwest if it's at all possible. Of course when I think I don't need my truck, that's when I will really need it. 

I have also thought of trying to do a "Truck Share" like some do with Boats and Airplanes. Some entity owns the vehicle and the "Members" are able to use them at a reasonable fee. Of course there would need to be a monthly membership to ensure the vehicles would be in tip top condition when needed. 

Has anyone really put any thought, research or numbers to paper on this?

Rod

White 2000/2010Volvo VNL 770 with 7' Drom box with opposing doors,  JOST slider hitch. 600 HP Cummins Signature 18 Speed three pedal auto shift.

1999 Isuzu VehiCross retired to a sticks and bricks garage. Brought out of storage the summer of 2022

2022 Jeep Wrangler Sport S Two door hard top.

2007 Honda GL 1800

2013 Space Craft Mfg S420 Custom built Toyhauler

The Gold Volvo is still running and being emptied in July. 

The park in which we formerly had a membership had a storage section for off season use. They would tow your RV between there and a site when you planned a visit. I do not know if there was a fee for the towing. I know the tow driver had a favorite site he liked to move units to for short term visits because It's the same site I liked when visiting in my van. I suspect he did not appreciate me. :)

Linda

Blog: http://sandcastle.sandsys.org/

Former Rigs: Liesure Travel van, Winnebago View 24H, Winnebago Journey 34Y, Sportsmobile Sprinter conversion van

6 hours ago, lappir said:

I too have thought of this, especially with how I move, usually once every Spring and then again in the Fall, depending on where I am. It used to be Midwest to South Florida, but those days are gone. It's now mostly around the Midwest, but over the next few years I want to slowly work my way to the Northwest if it's at all possible. Of course when I think I don't need my truck, that's when I will really need it. 

I have also thought of trying to do a "Truck Share" like some do with Boats and Airplanes. Some entity owns the vehicle and the "Members" are able to use them at a reasonable fee. Of course there would need to be a monthly membership to ensure the vehicles would be in tip top condition when needed. 

Has anyone really put any thought, research or numbers to paper on this?

Rod

Check this out, much less hassle than a  "time share" truck: https://www.longhornrentals.com/type-of-truck/ 1/2 way down page.

Enterprise rents truck for towing too. But IMO the easiest option will be to contact local RV dealerships, they usually have a list of licensed and bonded movers.

Edited by Ray,IN

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA ." And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you--ask what you can do for your country.  John F. Kennedy 20 Jan 1961

6 hours ago, Ray,IN said:

Check this out, much less hassle than a  "time share" truck: https://www.longhornrentals.com/type-of-truck/ 1/2 way down page.

Enterprise rents truck for towing too. But IMO the easiest option will be to contact local RV dealerships, they usually have a list of licensed and bonded movers.

Lots of places rent box trucks and pickups, but I have yet to see one equipped with an ET Hitch or even a goose  neck ball.

I did see an ad in Missouri recently about rental of Class  8 trucks, but in the fine print it identified "Business" customers only. 

Of course we have all seen the photos of a UHaul pulling a "Camper", but that's not what I want to have my picture taken as doing. 

Granted I only skimmed the Longhornrentals link, but I didn't see a truck that would pull my trailer.

Rod

White 2000/2010Volvo VNL 770 with 7' Drom box with opposing doors,  JOST slider hitch. 600 HP Cummins Signature 18 Speed three pedal auto shift.

1999 Isuzu VehiCross retired to a sticks and bricks garage. Brought out of storage the summer of 2022

2007 Honda GL 1800

lappir try here: https://flexfleetrental.com/guide-5th-wheel-truck-rental/

If you'd rather hire it moved, look here: https://www.5thwheeltruckrental.com/

Edited by Ray,IN

On 11/4/2020 at 6:16 AM, lappir said:

Lots of places rent box trucks and pickups, but I have yet to see one equipped with an ET Hitch or even a goose  neck ball.

I did see an ad in Missouri recently about rental of Class  8 trucks, but in the fine print it identified "Business" customers only. 

Of course we have all seen the photos of a UHaul pulling a "Camper", but that's not what I want to have my picture taken as doing. 

Granted I only skimmed the Longhornrentals link, but I didn't see a truck that would pull my trailer.

Rod

Then look here: https://rvshare.com/rv/5th-wheel-truck-rental

I'll stop trying to be helpful after this.

Edited by Ray,IN

On 11/3/2020 at 12:14 PM, jonran5@aol.com said:

do you really need a tow vehicle?

I believe the Escapees park in Bushnell requires you to have a tow vehicle.  I have stayed in other parks that have the same requirement.  OTOH I've stayed in parks where people with seasonal site rentals are not required to have a TV.

Jinx and Wayne

2006 Carriage Carri-Lite 36KSQ

• 3 weeks later...

Are you always moving to the same places?  It might make sense to own more than one trailer, and no truck.

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN
Lots of old motorcycles, Moto Guzzi Griso and Spyder F3 currently in the front row
Young enough to play in the dirt as a retired farmer.
contact me at rickeieio1@comcast.net

1 hour ago, rickeieio said:

Are you always moving to the same places?  It might make sense to own more than one trailer, and no truck.

Trailer more expensive than  a truck, but an idea. Some I know went ahead and purchased a "Condo", better  resale value. I should have done that with my 10  winters in South Florida and  really thought about it the first year in Tallahassee. Am trying to convince the youngest to invest  in real-estate while  in Norman, but so far  no go. She said when she got there she would spend at least 6 and maybe 8 to 10 years  there. She has a great roommate now and I think they could find another one or two to afford a nice house by paying less than they are currently in rent. There is one person there who has had a couple dead beat roommates I hear that is throwing a damper in my attempts to  convince. It was in the most tornado prone part of the OKC Metro too and the power goes out a lot. So far the apartment has been trouble free.  Off subject  sorry. I still  think if my truck dies  suddenly I'll hire a move at least once or twice before replacing. 

Rod

2007 Honda GL 1800

We visited friends in south Texas a few years ago, in a VERY nice RV resort where everyone owned the lots.  Many had more than one, and rented them over the winter.  Some, had big fifth wheels and no truck.  Reason being, property taxes in Texas are high.  No taxes on the rv.  One couple had a new 5er and a Toyota Corolla, which they drove to their other 5er somewhere up in the Rockies.

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN
Lots of old motorcycles, Moto Guzzi Griso and Spyder F3 currently in the front row
Young enough to play in the dirt as a retired farmer.
contact me at rickeieio1@comcast.net

As noted, many campgrounds require trailer owners to maintain a vehicle suitable for towing your RV.  This is often due to storm threats.

Ken

Amateur radio operator, 2023 Cougar 22MLS, 2022 F150 Lariat 4x4 Off Road, Sport trim <br />Travel with 1 miniature schnauzer, 1 standard schnauzer and one African Gray parrot

I see several different issues here, and the answers to each of them will determine what is feasible for you.

First, how often and how far are you moving each time? The smaller the number of moves and the shorter the distance makes renting/hiring a better deal than owning.

Second, how often are you returning to the same campgrounds? Do any of those campgrounds offer long-term leases? Check out the Escapees Co-ops and parks that offer long-term rentals.

Third, are you permitted to leave an unattended RV on the site? Not all parks allow that. If you can find some that permit it in one of your regular areas, then parking a fifth wheel or park model there might make sense.

Finally, are you permitted to have an RV on a site with no way to move it off? The co-ops we checked out all required that the RV be properly licensed. AND that it be capable of being moved. That might be covered with an agreement with a neighbor, but I'd check the rules first.

Renting a truck or hiring someone to move your rig is likely going to vary from one place to another. I'd suggest that you start by checking around where you are now to see what might be available there. Then check at one of your other favorite areas. If there isn't anyone available either to rent a truck from or to hire that pretty much answers your question.

Oh yes, new vs used truck. Run the numbers and see what the true cost of ownership is. If you are going to be a full-timer, check out the cost of insurance and license in Florida, South Dakota and Texas.

David Lininger, kb0zke
1993 Foretravel U300 40' (sold)
2022 Grand Design Reflection 315RLTS