Puchased my first RV.

rollindowntheroad

Well I finally pulled the trigger and bought my first RV - a travel trailer.  After researching RV's for quite sometime I decided to go ahead and get one.  Purchased a 2018 Prime Time Tracer 253AIR.  Had the floor plan and storage that I really liked.  I will be using it for weekends and longer vacations.  Would like to full when I retire so this is a perfect one to start out with to see if I like it.  It's 28' long with 1 slide, rear kitchen.  After some serious negotiating they ended up taking off $2,500.00 off the total price.  Also got a Weight Distribution/Anti-sway hitch.  Got an Equalizer 4 Point, 10,000 lb, 1,000 lb hitch weight.  Little nervous about towing it and backing it up but with practice I am sure I will get good at it.

Of course now I have to turn around and get everything needed to use it.  Ordered a lot of stuff yesterday so it will all be delivered right to me.  I am sure there will be something I forgot the first time I take it out and get it set up.

I am excited to start my camping adventures.

Edited by rollindowntheroad

You can practice backing into "spaces" by finding an empty parking lot and using the stalls or cones or both to assist with backing.  If you have a partner, practice using signals either hand or voice.  Practice will make it better, but it is good to start out with some common agreed upon signals.

Marcel

Congratulations! Looks like a good rig. We started our camping adventure by camping about 10 miles from home. That let us figure out what we had with us and how we chose to use it while still being close enough to home to change what we brought. When we were part time, we soon decided that having duplicate items for the house and RV made it easier to get away--having the can opener be in the wrong place gets old really fast. :)

Linda Sand

Blog: http://sandcastle.sandsys.org/

Former Rigs: Liesure Travel van, Winnebago View 24H, Winnebago Journey 34Y, Sportsmobile Sprinter conversion van

Congratulations on your first RV! Since you have no previous RV experience, I suggest that your first trip be to a location that is close enough to home to enable you to run back and get whatever you may have forgotten that is vital to your experience. As a single traveling alone it would be a very good idea to take the trailer to an empty parking lot and practice backing and other maneuvers. If you will have a regular traveling companion, develop your own standard language for backing directions and use the same terms all of the time. Avoid right and left for driver's side and passenger side. Do not hesitate to stop and go look as often as needed. 

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

There are standard hand signals used in construction that are very intuitive and logical.  Find them online and learn them.  It can save you from embarrassment or getting a hole in your wallet.

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN
Lots of old motorcycles, Moto Guzzi Griso and Spyder F3 currently in the front row
Young enough to play in the dirt as a retired farmer.
contact me at rickeieio1@comcast.net

1 hour ago, rickeieio said:

There are standard hand signals used in construction that are very intuitive and logical.  Find them online and learn them.  It can save you from embarrassment or getting a hole in your wallet.

These are used by the Monback...

"Are we there yet?" asked no motorcycle rider, ever. 

I have a question for all you experts.  Where and how do you store your sewer hoses?  Do you get a plastic container and keep them in the storage area or do you have a tube attached to your rear bumper.  I order a Camco RhinoExtreme sewer hose.  One 20' and one 10' section.  If I were to get something to attach to the rear bumper how long would it need to be?

Thanks for all your advise.

I used a couple lengths of plastic 8" pipe from the hardware store and fastened them under the frame just behind the axles.  A simple pin through two holes keeps the hoses corralled.  Mine are about 7' long.

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN
Lots of old motorcycles, Moto Guzzi Griso and Spyder F3 currently in the front row
Young enough to play in the dirt as a retired farmer.
contact me at rickeieio1@comcast.net

50 minutes ago, rollindowntheroad said:

Where and how do you store your sewer hoses?

The travel trailers that we have had all had a square hollow rear bumper designed to hold the sewer hoses. Three or four 10' sections would fit inside. The rubber ends do tend to fall out in transit which can result in dragging a hose down the highway or loosing it completely. Drilling a hole and a screw or through pin easily solves the problem and keeps the caps in place.

55 minutes ago, rollindowntheroad said:

Where and how do you store your sewer hoses? 

The answer depends on the configuration of the RV involved. I have used a plastic tub, but that isn't ideal. My preferred method is to mount an 8' length of PVC pipe that is about 1" larger diameter than your sewer hose to the rear of or the RV, or in some cases you can mount it under the RV.  I secure the caps on either end of the pipe with a screw and I drill several holes in the bottom of the pipe to allow it to drain any moisture. 

Some travel trailers do have a square bumper that is designed for sewer hose storage but the one you have chosen may not fit inside of it, if your trailer has one. 

Good travelin !...............Kirk

Full-time 11+ years...... Now seasonal travelers.
Kirk & Pam's Great RV Adventure

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQqFswi_bvvojaMvanTWAI

Use Utube to research backing techniques  and standard hand signals. By far the most common mistake in backing is not pulling forward enough from the site to begin the backing process.

As the man who taught me to drive a semi-tractor trailer said, anyone can drive forward, backing is where skill is most important.

Edited by Ray,IN

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA ." And so, my fellow Americans: ask not what your country can do for you--ask what you can do for your country.  John F. Kennedy 20 Jan 1961

On 4/20/2020 at 1:49 PM, rpsinc said:

You can practice backing into "spaces" by finding an empty parking lot and using the stalls or cones or both to assist with backing.  If you have a partner, practice using signals either hand or voice.  Practice will make it better, but it is good to start out with some common agreed upon signals.

Or, tie your kids up and use them as cones.

Pressure will make you a pro at backing in no time😄

No don't do that😳

😂

The storage tubes that came with my conversion van were not large enough diameter to hold a RhinoFlex hose with connectors. I wound up storing mine in a tub with a good sealing lid inside my van. That worked fine.

Linda Sand

Blog: http://sandcastle.sandsys.org/

Former Rigs: Liesure Travel van, Winnebago View 24H, Winnebago Journey 34Y, Sportsmobile Sprinter conversion van