RV "Lawn" Chairs

rogo88

I tried a search, but the topic was too vague and returned way too many unrelated posts, so I'm trying again.

Our folding chairs ["Director" style] don't seem to hold up well to either weather or weight.  I am not petite...210, but most chairs claim to be worthy of 300 lbs.  The seating "fabric" of our current chairs has deteriorated/failed in only a year or two.  I'm looking for opinions on what chairs people have found to be of good quality and comfort.

Some considerations:    Size when collapsed      Strength and sturdiness    Comfort    Price

We are in Vermont...not a hotbed of RV outlets, and I'm not a great fan of the only one within 70 miles [Camping World], so there is little opportunity to go and sit in a variety of options which would be the preferred method of evaluation [on-line searches aren't very touchy feely].

So I look forward to your suggestions and comments.  I think we are interested more in the style which folds flat rather than those that fold into the "cigar" shape and then into a carrying bag, but all responses are appreciated.

Thanks,  Ron   

My choice was the Caravan brand oversized sports infinity zero gravity chair. It's about 5.25" wider than a standard, is built from a little heavier materials and has a slightly higher weight rating of 350lbs. The amazon link listed now says 330lbs in the initial description, but if you read down it has the correct weight rating listed as well. Caravan products are well known to me and is a brand I trust quite highly.

I purchased mine from the amazon warehouse deals (returned item) in "like new" condition for $37. I couldn't tell it wasn't new. Tags still attached and not a scratch or stain on it that I could find. $60 seems a little steep for a chair, but if I had to replace mine... I would probably fork out full price for another.

The main thing I really enjoy is the additional width. I've been known to nap every once in a while and laying flat it is much more comortable to roll around a bit without banging in to chair arms or having your legs fall off the side. 😉

Extremely comfortable and 3 years and 3 days after purchase... still in perfect condition. I wash and treat the fabric on a regular basis.

That being said... it does take up some space. For me though it's my "go to" chair. The only other seating in my rig is around the table so I don't mind giving up a little space for comfort. It's generally the last thing in and the first thing out of the house so it's not much of a bother.

47 minutes ago, Yarome said:

My choice was the Caravan brand oversized sports infinity zero gravity chair. It's about 5.25" wider than a standard, is built from a little heavier materials and has a slightly higher weight rating of 350lbs. The amazon link listed now says 330lbs in the initial description, but if you read down it has the correct weight rating listed as well. Caravan products are well known to me and is a brand I trust quite highly.

I purchased mine from the amazon warehouse deals (returned item) in "like new" condition for $37. I couldn't tell it wasn't new. Tags still attached and not a scratch or stain on it that I could find. $60 seems a little steep for a chair, but if I had to replace mine... I would probably fork out full price for another.

The main thing I really enjoy is the additional width. I've been known to nap every once in a while and laying flat it is much more comortable to roll around a bit without banging in to chair arms or having your legs fall off the side. 😉

Extremely comfortable and 3 years and 3 days after purchase... still in perfect condition. I wash and treat the fabric on a regular basis.

That being said... it does take up some space. For me though it's my "go to" chair. The only other seating in my rig is around the table so I don't mind giving up a little space for comfort. It's generally the last thing in and the first thing out of the house so it's not much of a bother.

We, too, are fans of the Zero Gravity chairs. They are the most comfortable portable chairs we've ever sat in. We have two sizes: a larger one for me and a smaller one for my wife. We keep a couple of cheap camping chairs for when we need to carry them to someone else's site (the Zero Gravity chairs are heavier).

Rob

2012 F350 CC LB DRW 6.7
2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes, solar, DP windows
Full-time since 8/2015

StatesVisited20210913_small.jpg

I prefer Cabela's for our chairs and they do have one model that is rated to 400 pounds if needed:

https://www.cabelas.com/product/CABELAS-BIG-OUTDOORSMAN-XL-CHAIR/2861724.uts?slotId=6

The ones that we have are no longer being sold there. I'm glad we bought 4 of them while they were available.B)

2017 Kenworth T680
2015 DRV 38RSSA Elite Suites
2016 Smart Prime

I've had my freestyle rocker bought at Dick's Sporting goods for about a year and it's better than anything we previously bought at any RV outlet.  It came with a one-year warranty for replacement and it hasn't even popped a stitch.  Comfortable and relaxing and it's also a great fishing chair.

We recently bought 2 Kijaro chairs, very comfortable and the back has a slight recline to it that is more comfortable for my back.  The standard version is rated for 300#, the XXL is 400#.  About $40-44 at Amazon.

Back on the road again in a 2011 Roadtrek 210P

2011 Tahoe 4x4, 2006 Lexus GX470, 2018 Ranger XP1000, 2013 RZR 570LE
http://finallynewellin.blogspot.com/

458863254_cabinavatarcopy.jpg.7751792e372f5959d079d77730f9290d.jpg

On 8/21/2018 at 8:35 AM, Second Chance said:

(the Zero Gravity chairs are heavier).

Quite so. Mine weighs in around 18lbs or so. Not something you would take on a hike. 😉

As far as cigar chairs go... I think the strongbacks are an excellent choice. Personally... I'm just not a fan of the cigar type.

Not sure if you have a Sam's Club in the area or if you're a member.  We found some folding camp chairs, thoses that fit I a bag, that are both heavy duty and very comfortable.  They have a slight tilt to relieve the pressure on your back.  We bought 2, went back and bought 2 more and our daughter bought 2 for her camper after sitting in ours.

Jerry and Joan

2014 Ford F350 with 6.7 turbo, TrailerSaver

2014 40' Heartland Gateway Fifth wheel

iLoveRVlife.com

On 8/21/2018 at 11:52 AM, Kirk Wood said:

By far the most comfortable chairs we have found are from Strongback chairs.

I agree with Kirk, but they are pricey. Have had mine for a few years now, but don't use them very often. Will last me a long time I think. 

Rod

White 2000/2010Volvo VNL 770 with 7' Drom box with opposing doors,  JOST slider hitch. 600 HP Cummins Signature 18 Speed three pedal auto shift.

1999 Isuzu VehiCross retired to a sticks and bricks garage. Brought out of storage the summer of 2022

2022 Jeep Wrangler Sport S Two door hard top.

2007 Honda GL 1800

2013 Space Craft Mfg S420 Custom built Toyhauler

The Gold Volvo is still running and being emptied in July. 

We are also from VT and you are correct about local availability. My wife has been in her Lafuma chair since last Wednesday,  12 days or so now. She took a bad fall from her horse while we were riding in the Adirondacks. Nothing broken but shoulder,ribs coller bone all badly bruised. We have had the chair about 10 years and got it at Fryeberg Fair so I can't help,with the dealer. It definitely is a great chair, my chair came from TSC cheep and on its way out. The price is very high but if it lasts. I just ordered new laces for it from Amazon other wise the chair looks new.

I’m on the hunt for a tall backed “zero gravity” style folding chair. 

Seems all the models I’ve sat in the head goes clunk on the top frame...

Im looking 29-30” or more backrest height.

The backrest height seems to be missing in most specs I’ve seen on line so far. 

"Are we there yet?" asked no motorcycle rider, ever. 

• 1 month later...

The only place I have to transport chairs is on a bracket that attaches to my ladder.  I started with zero gravity chairs.  I forget the brand but they were quality chairs, i.e, expensive, and they were very comfortable.  They are now 8 years old, have been outdoors the entire time and are still in good shape.  Unfortunately those zero gravity chairs were heavy and I really disliked wrestling them off the ladder hook and then after use, wrestling back into position and securing them.  I switched to light weight folding aluminum chairs with nylon webbing.  These were popular decades ago but are now hard to find.  Since they are light weight, I have no problem getting them down or back up for travel.  The webbing deteriorates after a few years of exposure to the sun and weather.  I found replacement webbing for very low cost and have replaced the webbing so I should be good for a few more years.

Even with the web chairs, I find I only use them very occasionally.  Most days I travel, hike, explore and am outdoors all day when not driving.  At the end of the day I rarely want to sit outdoors.  If, no when, I get old, lazy and sit around campgrounds for prolonged periods, I will probably return to the zero gravity chairs.

I really like those old style aluminum webbed chairs, too. Like you said they can be hard to come by. I like chairs that have solid tubes that  contact the ground versus individual legs which can often sink into soft ground.

I have used some of the "director's chair" style from harbor freight  and like them pretty good but they need to be covered because of the fabric.

Mine are tubular aluminum without individual legs.  They are fairly comfortable but obviously do not recline for serious napping.  On the other hand my zero gravity chairs did not do well for use while eating and were not upright enough to work well for reading.

Archived