Freightliner Toterhomes

Daveh56

Hello,

I was wondering if anyone here had any experience with Toterhomes built on Freightliner Chassis, I hear the Freightliner's tend to be noisy and uncomfortable. I'd prefer one that can tow a 5th wheel and is not over 20 ft long and most of them  I have seen on racingjunk.com are built on either a FL70 or FLD120 chassis.

Thanks,

Dave

The MDT chassis like the FL70 typically are not as quiet and comfortable as the long haul trucks. The FLDs were a decent truck in their day, but their day was the early 90s.

Even the Volvo VN which was a major step up when it came out in the late 90s, did not really compare to the other brand offerings when it was recently replaced with a new model.

My Freightliner is a Class 7 HDT Super-C (not a toter home). It's a "Business Class M-2" (some M-2s are rated as MDTs). I can't say the cab is noisier than other truck cabs I've been in (mine has a Cummins ISL 9.0ltr 350 HP diesel with a six-speed Allison ATM). With air suspension, the seats in Class 7 HDTs are better than what most pickups have (but Class 8 HDT seats are REALLY sweet). The only trouble I've had was an O2 sensor needing to be replaced and, it was a warranty item so, no cost to me.

I have a 2018 FL M2 112 with a 198" WB 39.6K GVW, 72K CGVW with DD 13 450HP engine. It has air ride suspension and air ride seats. It is very comfortable and quiet. I'm towing a New Horizons 33' Majestic Travel Trailer (38' OAL) that weighs 24K. It has 3 Moryde 9K IS axles and tows great. I'm using a 30K Air Safe 2 5/16" ball hitch. My TT has 30 cubic ft. more storage than a 33' 5er so you may want to think about better use of your truck bed. I have an 11' Knapheide KUV Utility body on mine that I carry all of my tools and fishing equipment in along with my electric beach cart with ramps. I'm 64' OAL when hooked up. Good luck.

fnMLSAUl.jpg

2 hours ago, MoSKP9 said:

I have a 2018 FL M2 112 with a 198" WB 39.6K GVW, 72K CGVW with DD 13 450HP engine. It has air ride suspension and air ride seats. It is very comfortable and quiet. I'm towing a New Horizons 33' Majestic Travel Trailer (38' OAL) that weighs 24K. It has 3 Moryde 9K IS axles and tows great. I'm using a 30K Air Safe 2 5/16" ball hitch. My TT has 30 cubic ft. more storage than a 33' 5er so you may want to think about better use of your truck bed. I have an 11' Knapheide KUV Utility body on mine that I carry all of my tools and fishing equipment in along with my electric beach cart with ramps. I'm 64' OAL when hooked up. Good luck.

We need some pictures of your nice setup.

Roger

GCTaaehl.jpg

31 minutes ago, Hewhoknowslittle said:

We need some pictures of your nice setup.

Roger

I tried, however, all of my pictures are apparently too large (2,2mb) and you are only allowed .1mb. I don't know how to get the pictures down to that size. If you know how please enlighten me. 

fnMLSAUl.jpg

2 hours ago, DesertMiner said:

Use that link to get a URL for each picture you would like to post here and paste the URL into your post.  This will make the pictures appear here regardless of their file size.

2000 Kenworth T2000 w/ Cummins N14 and autoshift
2017 DRV Mobile Suite 40KSSB4 with factory mods, dealer mods and personal mods - now in the RV graveyard
2022 DRV Full House MX450 with customized floor plan
2018 Polaris RZR Turbo S (fits in the garage)
2016 Smart Car (fits in the garage or gets flat towed behind the DRV when the RZR is in the garage)
My First Solar Install Thread
My Second Solar Install Thread & Photos and Documents Related to the build
My MX450's solar, battery and inverter system - my biggest system yet!

chadheiser.com      West Coast HDT Rally Website

event.png    

AZCACOIDIAKSMNMOMTNENVNMNDOKSDTNTXUTWYxlg.jpg

On 8/10/2018 at 1:13 PM, MoSKP9 said:

Teg8VThl.jpg

Here is the link, I don't know if the picture will appear.

Very nice.  I have been wondering about options to carry my tools.  I have a service truck, a 16' enclosed trailer, an 18' deckover trailer, a GMC 3500 CC DRW and an IH 4700LP set up to pull my Newmar Kountry Aire, but the kicker is where do I put the tools from my 3000SF shop when I travel???

Marcel

I really like this setup. I ordered the FL as a CC and then built the rest myself.  The Knapheide KUV Utility body has built in tool boxes in the forward compartments on both sides.  I added two Weatherguard Aluminium boxes to the rear for my flares and hydraulic jacks and impact guns. I had to build the long side box for my ramps myself as it had to be custom size and custom made frame support brackets. I can be self sufficient for a long time as the TT has a 8K Diesel generator. Both the TT and the FL have Magnum 2812 Inverters with 900 amp battery banks. The FL has a 320 amp alternator. I also installed a 12 Volt 100 amp trailer plug connection so that I can charge both battery banks from the truck or the TT generator.  Never had a power problem. Fresh water tank (100 gallons) is the limiting factor when boondocking.

fnMLSAUl.jpg

On 8/10/2018 at 3:13 PM, MoSKP9 said:

Teg8VThl.jpg

Here is the link, I don't know if the picture will appear.

COOL!!!!!     Looks like not at 13'3" high but lower. Lower center of gravity and with lower ceilings it will heat in winter way better. Nice

2002 Beaver Marquis Emerald   C-12 Cat 505 HP

2014 Volvo 630 D-13 I Shift SOLD

2017 New Horizons SOLD

The picture is a little deceiving as I'm parked on top of a hill and took the picture from downhill.  The TT is actually 13'4"and the truck is 10' 8". Both have a low CG. The TT has a massive storage area 34" high and 12' long all the way from the axles to the front with full width pass through. The steel frame and tanks are all low and the rest is aluminum frame and fiberglass. The NH is very well insulated and is rated for 10 degrees below zero (hope I never see that).so it is really energy efficient. 

fnMLSAUl.jpg

On 8/11/2018 at 3:37 PM, rpsinc said:

Very nice.  I have been wondering about options to carry my tools.  I have a service truck, a 16' enclosed trailer, an 18' deckover trailer, a GMC 3500 CC DRW and an IH 4700LP set up to pull my Newmar Kountry Aire, but the kicker is where do I put the tools from my 3000SF shop when I travel???

more side boxes, drom box. You need to see the Moriarty's rig. Tool storage dream car garage.

2003 International Eagle 9200i, Cummins ISX, Freedomline

2007 Teton Scottsdale XT4

Archived