Private rv not for hire

Chuck

"Private Coach" or "Recreational Vehicle" are generic and get the point across when needed without carrying any legal meaning.  "Not For Hire" does have a legal meaning to a DOT officer, it means you ARE commercial, but only hauling your own freight, as noted by our resident expert big5vr and my own experience.

My truck doesn't have anything permanent on it, as nothing is required for an RV, or in my Ohio case "heavy duty non-commercial" registration.  I do have a pair of "Recreational Vehicle" magnets that I throw on the doors when bobtailing in places that frown upon commercial vehicle, like the city parking lot in Key West, or other places commercial vehicles are not allowed to drive or park by signage. 

Somebody mentioned toll roads.  Every state around OH that I can think of goes strictly by weight or axle count (or both), they could give a flip what you are using the truck for, they just want their money.  Only exception I can think of is the Garden State Parkway where commercial vehicles are not allowed at all.  Although why anybody would want to go to New Jersey I have no idea...

On 7/5/2018 at 4:34 AM, Jemstone said:

I started out with magnetic signs proclaiming my privateness.  When they faded I tossed them and did not replace them.  There are fairly few occasions in which the sign would help.  At 55 to 65 mph as we pass by weigh stations, no one can read the sign.  I have removed the forward tandem axle (I’ve singled long) turning the space where the axle and tire had been into large storage boxes on either side.  The entire rear chassis has a raised deck of diamond aluminum plate.  The truck’s profile now is more like a crewcab pickup truck on steroids than a commercial class 8.  In four years no LEO has shown any interest in me, other than a couple of personal, retirement related questions at fuel stations.

The Volvo’s D13 engine is not designed to run at high rpms.  My truck gets expensive to run at 65mph, and at 65 I don’t see much scenery if the road has curves.  However, we spend six months of the year on the Oregon Coast near Newport.  The only north-south coastal highway is US 101 (usually just called 101).  The average speed on 101 is about 45mph, due to slow trailers and other RVs.  The fastest speed limit on most of the highway is 55mph.  Plus, during the summer, 101’s winter landslides must be handled, a difficult and potentially dangerous job that limits some areas to large areas of single lane traffic.  

John McLaughlin, currently in Waldport, Oregon “Where the Forrest Meets the Sea”

John,

Welcome to Waldport.

For many years we owned most of the East side of Wakonda Beach Airstrip (R33). 

We still hold deed to a few acres but they are under contract. Living in Waldport is a bit like Mayberry with a few 102 mph winter breezes and 55ft rollers hitting the beach in the winter.

Early one winter morning I started down the hill at Wakonda Beach to turn North on 101 to drive to my office in Lincoln City but a big roller hit the beach and a few feet of surf washed over 101 so...

I turned around and pulled the old Skylane out of the hanger and bounced up to the office with a 50mph crosswind.....

Oh the adventure of driving 101 in the winter could be the subject of a heck of a adventure novel......IF.....you could live long enough after trying to drive over Cape Fowlweather...... driving from Waldport to Lincoln City every day in the winter was a chore and some days I could not make the trip out of Waldport and a few nights I just used my room at Chinook Winds when breakers were washing over 101 at Depot Bay....just not worth the adventure......

Waldport summers are to die for ..

And ......and the winters you can die as well....keep your wits about you on 101...

Drive on.....(101.....views to die for)

97 Freightshaker Century Cummins M11-370 / 1350 /10 spd / 3:08 /tandem/ 20ft Garage/ 30 ft Curtis Dune toybox with a removable horse-haul-module to transport Dolly-The-Painthorse to horse camps and trail heads all over the Western U S

I think DT dozed off for a couple of minutes with his hand on the space bar. :rolleyes: He obviously needs a Dr. Pepper caffeine boost. :P How else can he explain all that empty space in his post? LOL

MY PEOPLE SKILLS ARE JUST FINE.
~It's my tolerance to idiots that needs work.~

2005 Volvo 780 VED12 465hp / Freedomline transmission
singled mid position / Bed by Larry Herrin
2018 customed Mobile Suites 40KSSB3 

2014 smart Fortwo

On 7/5/2018 at 11:30 AM, rpsinc said:

Ya, well, they can want all they want, but real life is what is real.  Cali is so over regulated and no way they can be able to know what all the regs/laws are as well as being able to enforce them.  Its like the Federal Tax Code, it is SO COMPLEX that no way anyone can master it, and it seems that each time returns are looked at, something else appears that was previously not seen.  Can be less or more tax owed.  Same is for Cali vehicle laws: look hard enough and every one will be out of compliance, even CHP units.  Watch how many CHP officers are on their cell phones while driving or how many motor officers split lanes when not lawful.  While I realize there is a reason for it and they are doing it while it is lawful for THEM to, it sets the wrong example and causes a distraction in their ability to function at the max level while performing their jobs.  They are human too.  

Seems that common sense is no longer common. 

they have badges, so they can do what ever they want when ever they want, up to and including beat the crap out of you while being filmed 

On 7/7/2018 at 4:33 PM, Big5er said:

I think DT dozed off for a couple of minutes with his hand on the space bar. :rolleyes: He obviously needs a Dr. Pepper caffeine boost. :P How else can he explain all that empty space in his post? LOL

🤣

Jim
Noob entertaining the idea of an HDT and 5'ver.
I like big trucks and I cannot lie...  :)

12 hours ago, Stickman81 said:

I thought the sticker rule applied on everything...They make stuff go faster, right?

🤣

In the case of certain stickers they can slow you down. 

2014 smart Fortwo

3 hours ago, Big5er said:

In the case of certain stickers they can slow you down. 

Would it be accurate to say that said sticker may slow you down if you drive through Houston?

"PRIVATE RV - NOT FOR HIRE"  will be removed from our rig.

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN
Lots of old motorcycles, Moto Guzzi Griso and Spyder F3 currently in the front row
Young enough to play in the dirt as a retired farmer.
contact me at rickeieio1@comcast.net

Rick, I'm gonna slow y'all down no matter what your truck says. I think you owe me a Dr. Pepper for standing me up the last time through. I charged Mark and Dale a hug....and I got one too. From Dale, not Mark.

Do you know how many racers I see pulling race cars to competition with "Private RV - Not for Hire" on their rigs? The fact that it is not "for hire" doesn't mean it is not commercial, and where does it say a "private RV" can not be used for commercial purposes? The only signage I care about is the USDOT number and the carrier name...or lack thereof. I know what a duck looks like...and if it walks like a duck and quacks like a duck, it must be a duck. And like I always say, I expect to get stopped in my rig because I "look" like a duck. It is up to us to prove we are dragons in a duck suit. Signage "might" help....conversation "will" help. Be prepared (know the answers to the questions, have paperwork to back it up) and make your truck look pretty. Beauty is in the eyes of the beholder, and I think signs are ugly. If you like 'em, then by all means put them on, but don't forget to be prepared anyway. I stop a ton of "commercial" RV's and so do a lot of my friends. I usually already know that the RV in question is registered to Billy Bob's Racing before I even stop it. Occasionally I wrong but not often. Lets face it, someone out there is getting paid to deliver trailers to the dealers. I wonder what signage they have on their truck? I heard rumor of one on this forum that used to do it (and no, I will never tell)...had all that "private RV" stuff on the truck too. 

2014 smart Fortwo

On 7/9/2018 at 12:32 PM, Big5er said:

Rick, I'm gonna slow y'all down no matter what your truck says. I think you owe me a Dr. Pepper for standing me up the last time through. I charged Mark and Dale a hug....and I got one too. From Dale, not Mark.

Do you know how many racers I see pulling race cars to competition with "Private RV - Not for Hire" on their rigs? The fact that it is not "for hire" doesn't mean it is not commercial, and where does it say a "private RV" can not be used for commercial purposes? The only signage I care about is the USDOT number and the carrier name...or lack thereof. I know what a duck looks like...and if it walks like a duck and quacks like a duck, it must be a duck. And like I always say, I expect to get stopped in my rig because I "look" like a duck. It is up to us to prove we are dragons in a duck suit. Signage "might" help....conversation "will" help. Be prepared (know the answers to the questions, have paperwork to back it up) and make your truck look pretty. Beauty is in the eyes of the beholder, and I think signs are ugly. If you like 'em, then by all means put them on, but don't forget to be prepared anyway. I stop a ton of "commercial" RV's and so do a lot of my friends. I usually already know that the RV in question is registered to Billy Bob's Racing before I even stop it. Occasionally I wrong but not often. Lets face it, someone out there is getting paid to deliver trailers to the dealers. I wonder what signage they have on their truck? I heard rumor of one on this forum that used to do it (and no, I will never tell)...had all that "private RV" stuff on the truck too. 

Somebody on this form would pull trailers illegally I find that so hard to believe!

Roger

GCTaaehl.jpg

On 7/10/2018 at 11:19 PM, RickS said:

Well since reading this thread I figured since I have the signage on my RV....and I like having it on there. :)  I added some lower signage for when we get to Phil's end of the country.....🤣

tZdoYxskC7ryCwfet3lCvOij9szlg8VkkjFIYUYF

FTW (Truck and lower signage)!!!

She's a beauty!

Jim
Noob entertaining the idea of an HDT and 5'ver.
I like big trucks and I cannot lie...  :)

Archived