Volvo engines

Chuck

I have begun the research and looking process in earnest. I looked in the hauler resource guide, but could not find anything relative to Volvo brand engines. I have read that the D16 can be a very problematic motor, some saying, stay away. Any thoughts from folks regarding, D16, D13 or D12 would be very helpful.

D12 as well, no issues at all. Rolled over 700k last summer (I've done 100k of that total) and it still gets sterling reports from Blackstone labs. With a Super 10 and a 20k trailer we usually get an honest 8-9 MPG (depending on which way the wind is blowing), the computer is about 10% optimistic.

Only odd issue I ever had was getting an oil change at a TA truck stop early on and they did not have an allen wrench to fit the drain plug! So I bought one of my own and have never needed it!

Dennis & Nancy
Tucson, AZ in winter, on the road in summer.

1999 Volvo 610 "Bud" 425 HP Volvo, Super 10 spd.
2005 Mountain Aire 35 BLKS
2013 smart fortwo CityFlame riding on Bud
(Replaced '05 smart first loaded in '06

and '11 smart that gave it's life to save me!)
Our Travel Blog

2011 D13, 700K miles, 435hp 1650ftlbs, I have put 40K miles in the three years I have had it and only replaced a starter, has been very dependable.

Volvo’s marine version of the D13 puts out 900hp, and their race truck the Iron Knight puts out 2400ph, same D13, says something I guess.

2011 vnl730 D13 435/1650 I-shift singled mid 2015 Keystone Raptor 425ts 2015 Smart

I chose to stick with one of the big three. Cat cummins and Detroit. In all our trucks. We had a mack once with a mack engine. No one could work on it (independent shops) because they didn't have access to software.  Mack is owned owned by Volvo. I would be afraid of the same thing. We got tired of having to take it to a dealer every time it had a code pop up. You can do a lot of stuff without the software but If you have to plug it in it has to go to the dealer. Now I don't know if Volvo is that way but If Mack is and they are owned by Volvo its a good indication.

Farmer, Trucker, Equipment operator, Mechanic

Quando omni flunkus moritati-When all else fails, play dead
I'm a man, but I can change, if I have to, I guess.

7 minutes ago, jenandjon said:

I chose to stick with one of the big three. Cat cummins and Detroit. In all our trucks. We had a mack once with a mack engine. No one could work on it (independent shops) because they didn't have access to software.  Mack is owned owned by Volvo. I would be afraid of the same thing. We got tired of having to take it to a dealer every time it had a code pop up. You can do a lot of stuff without the software but If you have to plug it in it has to go to the dealer. Now I don't know if Volvo is that way but If Mack is and they are owned by Volvo its a good indication.

True, but on the flip side, you're not stuck going to a Volvo dealer, as Mack has the same engines, in the later trucks.  My local family owned Mack dealer has been good to me.  I buy all my Volvo specific parts through them, as they're much cheaper than the Volvo dealer in Cincinnati.

That said, I have a Cummins in the Volvo, and a Mack engine in the Mack..

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN
Lots of old motorcycles, Moto Guzzi Griso and Spyder F3 currently in the front row
Young enough to play in the dirt as a retired farmer.
contact me at rickeieio1@comcast.net

I hear the numbers thing BUT I go up and down I-80 a lot. I count truck brands. I know I need to get a life but in counting,  Volvo has at least 1/3 of the trucks on the road  for over the road drivers. If I count there is usually 4 Volvos in ten trucks.

2002 Beaver Marquis Emerald   C-12 Cat 505 HP

2014 Volvo 630 D-13 I Shift SOLD

2017 New Horizons SOLD

28 minutes ago, Dan Johnson said:

I count truck brands.

So I'm not the only one......

If the above sales percentage is current, then it would apply to new trucks, but maybe not older models.  I seem to recall that about 8-10 years ago, the percentage was pretty even between Paccar, Volvo, and Freightliner, each with about 1/4 of total sales.  That runs pretty true with what I counted on our 5k mile trip recently.

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN
Lots of old motorcycles, Moto Guzzi Griso and Spyder F3 currently in the front row
Young enough to play in the dirt as a retired farmer.
contact me at rickeieio1@comcast.net

Within the trucking industry, specifically from a 1 man 1 truck owner operator point of view, which is something akin to everyone here, the consensus of opinion is a non proprietary drivetrain gives the owner-operator more options.

If you have a fleet, even a small one and predictable operational area, getting repairs on a Volvo engine/drivetrain is not a big deal. Folks here have neither, so it can be a problem. 

And this applies to Paccar and International as well. Daimler is in the unique position of owning Detroit Diesel, so not only can you go to most Freightliner shops, but all of the existing Detroit Diesel dealers out there, who in response to changes in how trucks are equipped and sold these days now do a wide range of repairs, not just engine or drivetrain.  

Clearly all of the OEM manufacturers want to sell you their drivetrain, first using the excuse that it will be more efficient. But all of them still sell the only other option left, Cummins due to market demand. Gone are the days of specifying your own engine, transmission, rears, and a variety of other options, except in the case of the very largest customers, emission control engineering and it's cost did that all in. 

I have an old trucking magazine around here somewhere trying to sell Allis-Chalmers engines as an option to OEM's. Never did gain any traction. 

Jeff Beyer temporarily retired from Trailer Transit
2000 Freightliner Argosy Cabover
2008 Work and Play 34FK
Homebase NW Indiana, no longer full time

Volvo engines with my limited knowledge of owning one, seems to be a well build engine. I run a VED12 preemissions Volvo engine with 900k mileage, runs good without excessive  blowby, and good oil pressure. My feedback from local Volvo dealer if engine runs past 500k it will likely run 1.5 million. Some engines had issues with vibration dampers that failed prior to 500k. From years 2004 thru 2014 when emissions were tightened with, egr, dpf, and def  all that caused a lot of problems. Most fleets are now moving those trucks to auction. Stay away from International Maxforce engines, you can buy them dirt cheap, and there is a reason.

ppbajell.jpg

Volvo VNL / Missouri Titled RV

Ved12 425HP

Super 10 Spd

37ft KOA Fifth Wheel

Jeep Rubicon Toad

I consider my Volvo D12D to be a rock solid engine.  In slightly different renditions it has been around for decades - mostly road proven in Europe and then the USA.  If I were shopping for a newer Volvo I would not hesitate to latch onto a D13.  Internal parts like fuel injectors are considerably less expensive and easier to replace than the D12.  Volvo has done a lot to consistently improve their engines.  Yes, the network of Volvo service locations is smaller than Cummins but the cost to buy parts or pay for labor to fix something is pretty much equal.  Like Jeff noted, all the added emissions hardware of newer engines is something to ponder.  My D12D has EGR only.  It may be dirty, but it is dependable.

300.JPG.c2a50e50210ede7534c4c440c7f9aa80.JPG

Randy, Nancy and Oscar

"The Great White" - 2004 Volvo VNL670, D12, 10-speed, converted to single axle pulling a Keystone Cambridge 5th wheel, 40', 4 slides and about 19,000# with empty tanks.

ARS - WB4BZX, Electrical Engineer, Master Electrician, D.Ed., Professor Emeritus - Happily Retired!

I have owned trucks with Mack, Cummins and Detroit engines.  We now have a D13 Volvo engine and find it to be a well built engine.

There have been some valid points made here, though I think it really comes down to individual preference with no real bad choice.

One advantage of the Volvo which has not been mentioned, having a Volvo engine and I-Shift transmission provides very impressive integration in things like the cruise control, engine braking and data sharing throughout the truck.

John

Southern Nevada

2008 Volvo 780, D13, I-Shift

2017 Keystone Fuzion 420 Toyhauler 

2017 Can-Am Maverick X3-RS

ALAKAZARCACODEFLGAHIIDILINIAKSKYLAMAMNMS
event.png

3 minutes ago, VegasFlyer said:

One advantage of the Volvo which has not been mentioned, having a Volvo engine and I-Shift transmission provides very impressive integration in things like the cruise control, engine braking and data sharing throughout the truck.

You can get those same "features"  in newer non Volvo trucks with some additional enhancements not found in a Volvo product. 

Thank you to everyone for their comments. Related to this-I was recently advised by an employee if a local company, to either go pre DPF or go to years with DPF+ DEF. stay away from units with just the DPF.  This coincides with some of the work I was involved in, in my later pre-retirement years. Retrofitting trucks with DPF systems to become California compliant. These were nightmares. Thoughts?

I had a Volvo D12, 425hp. Now I have a Cat 3406e, 450 hp. Cat seems way more than 25 hp when I hammer down. I love the growl of the Cat motor. Cat has been easier to find a shop if needed but tends to be thirsty when growling. 

When I bought my first truck I talked to several independent mechanics in my area. All of them were very high on the older pre emission Volvo d12 motor for both reliability and fuel mileage. I found that to be true. Mine was a 99 model.  Parts were also much more reasonable than the gold plated yellow Cat parts. 

17 hours ago, RandyA said:

My D12D has EGR only.  It may be dirty, but it is dependable.

Have you considered deleting the EGR?  A bit pricey, but seems to work fine.

2006 Volvo VNL 780, " Arvey"  Volvo D12, 465hp, 1650 ft/lbs tq., ultrashift

2003 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon

2010 Forest River Coachman Freedom Express 280RLS

Jackalopee

On 4/3/2018 at 5:48 AM, NoDirectionHome said:

There's a reason this:

https://i.imgur.com/6lIZRD7l.jpg

Those sales figures fluctuate wildly based on pricing and deals made with fleets. Independents are a very small part of the new truck market.

Dennis & Nancy
Tucson, AZ in winter, on the road in summer.

1999 Volvo 610 "Bud" 425 HP Volvo, Super 10 spd.
2005 Mountain Aire 35 BLKS
2013 smart fortwo CityFlame riding on Bud
(Replaced '05 smart first loaded in '06

and '11 smart that gave it's life to save me!)
Our Travel Blog

On 4/5/2018 at 9:41 PM, Chuck said:

Thank you to everyone for their comments. Related to this-I was recently advised by an employee if a local company, to either go pre DPF or go to years with DPF+ DEF. stay away from units with just the DPF.  This coincides with some of the work I was involved in, in my later pre-retirement years. Retrofitting trucks with DPF systems to become California compliant. These were nightmares. Thoughts?

From the information I have found this would be correct. I have a friend that is head mechanic for a small fleet. They just retired some of their D12s with 1.5 million on them. The engines were fine, the rest of the truck was rotting away around them. He said one of them needed an oil pan replacement at about 1.2, they changed the bearings while it was open, but he didn't feel they really would have had to.

I went with a def version D11 to get the I shift transmission.

Archived