Sturdy steps?

rickeieio

The outdoor steps on our rig are a bit light duty.  I believe they're rated for 250#, which is well under what I apply during ingress and egress.  (I'm not fat, just short for my weight.) They're starting to noticeably flex, which can't be a good sign.  We're putting a block under the bottom step, but that's only a bandaid.

So, who makes a study step assembly, possibly even incorporating a small porch?  A handrail would be nice too.  Yes, I could just order a Spacecraft and have all this included, but that's a stretch for a part  timer.

I've done some searching, and haven't found anything I like.  Surely there's something out there.  I may need to just build my own.

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN
Lots of old motorcycles, Moto Guzzi Griso and Spyder F3 currently in the front row
Young enough to play in the dirt as a retired farmer.
contact me at rickeieio1@comcast.net

Ww have been using the Port A Step for two years and like them (I weigh 350), some of our friends also have a set.     https://www.rv-co.com/index.html     Greg

Other possibilities:
http://www.sunrisedecks.com/

MORryde makes attached and removable steps:

http://www.morryde.com/product-category/12-steps

Greg & Judy Bahnmiller
Class of 2007
2014 F350
2007 HitchHiker Champagne

Both sold 2/19, settled in Foley, AL after 12 years on the road

http://bahnmilleradventure.blogspot.com/

Big Greg beat me to it.  I was going to post the RV-co link that he put in his post.

2000 Kenworth T2000 w/ Cummins N14 and autoshift
2017 DRV Mobile Suite 40KSSB4 with factory mods, dealer mods and personal mods - now in the RV graveyard
2022 DRV Full House MX450 with customized floor plan
2018 Polaris RZR Turbo S (fits in the garage)
2016 Smart Car (fits in the garage or gets flat towed behind the DRV when the RZR is in the garage)
My First Solar Install Thread
My Second Solar Install Thread & Photos and Documents Related to the build
My MX450's solar, battery and inverter system - my biggest system yet!

chadheiser.com      West Coast HDT Rally Website

event.png    

AZCACOIDIAKSMNMOMTNENVNMNDOKSDTNTXUTWYxlg.jpg

Thanks all.  I should have mentioned, I would like it to stow within the original recess where the steps now store.  I might be asking too much.

Without looking at Vern's steps, I think the Mor-Ryde comes closest to what I want.  One down side to those is the fact that when you stow them, any water or dirt falls inside.

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN
Lots of old motorcycles, Moto Guzzi Griso and Spyder F3 currently in the front row

1 hour ago, Wrknrvr said:

Stop by our RV and see what I did on ours. Simple and effective . Our steps are fairly well built. But I wanted to make sure they would last and not have that spring effect.

Safe Travels,.   Vern

Maybe post a pic or two of your set up . I suppose it's possible that a few other folks might be interested in seeing your set up . ;)

Goes around , comes around .

We replaced our steps with the Torklift Revolution Glow Steps. We love them. Very sturdy, come all the way down to the ground, are adjustable for different heights and uneven terrain and install right in place of your current 5W steps. We later purchased and installed the handrail that they make. It runs the entire length of the steps and is removable for travel.

We are not currently at the RV so I can’t post a picture but we purchased ours from etrailer.com/Glowsteps

They have several different options with anywhere from 3 to 6 steps and support up to 350 pounds. We highly recommend them and Mark installed them himself 2 years ago. Even with fulltime use, still working great!

Vicki

Vicki, Mark and Sadie 

Fulltime and having fun!

2016 Newmar Ventana LE 

2019 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk 

If I ever have a need to replace our steps, I will replace them with the Torklift glow steps.  I like the fact they stow in the original factory location, have feet on the ground and offer a handrail option.

2000 Kenworth T2000 w/ Cummins N14 and autoshift
2017 DRV Mobile Suite 40KSSB4 with factory mods, dealer mods and personal mods - now in the RV graveyard
2022 DRV Full House MX450 with customized floor plan
2018 Polaris RZR Turbo S (fits in the garage)
2016 Smart Car (fits in the garage or gets flat towed behind the DRV when the RZR is in the garage)
My First Solar Install Thread
My Second Solar Install Thread & Photos and Documents Related to the build
My MX450's solar, battery and inverter system - my biggest system yet!

chadheiser.com      West Coast HDT Rally Website

event.png    

AZCACOIDIAKSMNMOMTNENVNMNDOKSDTNTXUTWYxlg.jpg

4 hours ago, rickeieio said:

Thanks all.  I should have mentioned, I would like it to stow within the original recess where the steps now store.  I might be asking too much.

Torklift Revolution glowsteps fit in the OEM recess and can have a handrail added.  There are a few different brands that have a small "patio" option.  I have seen folks who mentioned they put that patio piece in the bed of their truck and get everything installed in a few minutes.  Available at etrailer.com

https://www.etrailer.com/RV-and-Camper-Steps/TorkLift/TLA7833.html?msclkid=1faf63324d7d1397aabe39bac5b10273&utm_source=bing&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=Shop - RV and Camper Steps&utm_term=4577747943576354&utm_content=General

I'm leaning towards the Glowsteps.  No dirt and slop going inside when you stow them.

Vern's idea is pretty slick.  If I weighed 100# less  I'd do that, but our base mount is flexing besides the scissors bowing.  If I knew how, I'd run up to Vern's and grab a picture and post it.  I may give it a try.

I wish Newmar would have offered the better steps they put on the "Aire" series.

image.jpg

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN

Rick, move your head !! I can't read the sign. 

MY PEOPLE SKILLS ARE JUST FINE.
~It's my tolerance to idiots that needs work.~

2005 Volvo 780 VED12 465hp / Freedomline transmission
singled mid position / Bed by Larry Herrin
2018 customed Mobile Suites 40KSSB3 

2014 smart Fortwo

Whatta couple of clowns...    That's Engineer Pass in Colorado, and my darling bride is the one with the normal eyebrows.

After testing whether I could post a pic from this device, I walked up to Vern's and took a picture of his step modification.  When I tried it post it, I got a message that the picture was too large.  Huh?  Stupid devices......

Anyway, his modification is the addition of a turnbuckle which is used as an adjustable leg from the middle step to the ground.  Very simple.

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN

We considered the Morryde steps but we ended up installing the Torklift Glowstep as well. We are super pleased with them. Here's a picture.

Our installation was a bit more involved since we had a solid box welded in place for the original diving board stairs. I just had to drill four new holes and buy some longer carriage bolts. After that it was a snap. I was able to re,move the old and install the new without assistance. I used a camp chair to "catch" the old stairs as they were removed.

• 1 month later...

Archived