VOLVO TOWING 5TH DURING ROLLOVER

NeverEasy

Chet     I didn't mean to start something but I think that it has really helped people to see what a real truck can do when the fan really starts going the wrong way. The tail never waged the dog. As stated before within the 3-4 seconds it took the 5er to go over the truck does not really give any idea that the 5er has come around. We are blessed to tow with these trucks. Chet we are so glad that you'll were ok!! Again thanks for all of the help. Those rims were Ford. See you soon.   Pat

The Old Sailor

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yes, the air bags were dumped.  I just put the Smart on and did not air up again until I started the truck.  Yep, it looks awful.  And yes, I had had it weighed at the last National.  It had a different Everest on it but they are much the same.  I carry very little in the 5th wheel.  All the tools and spare parts go in the truck tool boxes.  Most of our outings are for a short period but often a long journey.  We don't need to carry a lot.  

This is the now dead Everest and Volvo at Ft. Chiswell, VA Campground on the way to the 2017 ECR.  Looks better with air.

qdTmN9ol.jpg "border=0
m3zZPvb.pngClick For Full-Size Image.

Chet & Deb
'01 Volvo 660 w/ Smart
'19 Forest River Columbus 320RS 5th wheel
2022 Chev 2500HD Long Bed
Retired CWO4, USN and federal service
Electronics Tech/Network Engineer/Welder/Machinist

1 hour ago, NeverEasy said:

Yes, the air bags were dumped.  I just put the Smart on and did not air up again until I started the truck.  Yep, it looks awful.  And yes, I had had it weighed at the last National.  It had a different Everest on it but they are much the same.  I carry very little in the 5th wheel.  All the tools and spare parts go in the truck tool boxes.  Most of our outings are for a short period but often a long journey.  We don't need to carry a lot.  

This is the now dead Everest and Volvo at Ft. Chiswell, VA Campground on the way to the 2017 ECR.  Looks better with air.

qdTmN9ol.jpg "border=0
m3zZPvb.pngClick For Full-Size Image.

Howdy Chet,

I never though of lowering the air, I guess cuzz I have never bothered to do so .  Like I said in my post not finding fault just wondering why it looked like it did.

Dave

2001 Peterbilt, 379, Known As "Semi-Sane II", towing a 2014 Voltage 3818, 45 foot long toy hauler crammed full of motorcycles of all types.  Visit my photo web site where you will find thousands of photos of my motorcycle wanderings and other aspects of my life, click this link. http://mr-cob.smugmug.com/

IMG_4282-600x310.jpg

Chet,

Totally off subject.  We usually stay at Staunton KOA when we’re going and coming from VA. But had looked at Ft. Chiswell.  Did you like it as a stopover?

2006 Volvo 780 "Hoss" Volvo D12, 465hp, 1650 ft/lbs tq., ultrashift

Bed Build by "JW Morgan's Custom Welding"

2017 DRV 39DBRS3

2013 Smart Passion Coupe "Itty Bitty"

"Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first!"

10 hours ago, SuiteSuccess said:

Chet,

Totally off subject.  We usually stay at Staunton KOA when we’re going and coming from VA. But had looked at Ft. Chiswell.  Did you like it as a stopover?

Carl, I used Fort Chiswell each time I came to the ECR going each way. I really like it and the sites are long enough not to unhook if you choose to and I believe was under $35 a night with Good Sam

2017 River Stone Legacy 38MB

2001 T2000 Kenworth

2009 Smart Passion

ET Junior hitch

Carl, We have stayed at Ft Chiswell often.  Staff is friendly and kind of laid back.  One of those "find a spot you like and tell us which one" kind of places.  Sites are long.  Did not have to unhook.  Easy in/out but look closely.  Sign comes up quick and is small.

For those who commented on my hitch, I agree.  I don't think it would have bent if the weld would have held.  I took the plasma cutter to the area around the pin so I could save the holland (is that the right name?) hitch.  It was twisted too tight just to drive the pin out.

Chet & Deb
'01 Volvo 660 w/ Smart
'19 Forest River Columbus 320RS 5th wheel
2022 Chev 2500HD Long Bed
Retired CWO4, USN and federal service
Electronics Tech/Network Engineer/Welder/Machinist

S o the fact the hitch failed was a good thing  I hope. wright ? I would hope any brand hitch would fail under circumstances like this. I would not want a hitch that was so bullet proof that it would role the truck to. What is in the cab of that truck is more important to me than the trailer is.i don't think the hitch caused this accident . Inertial forces and gravity caused this . I was taught if you go around a corner and you have aply your brakes going threw it your going to fast . slow before you get to corner and power threw it. this eliminates the g forces. Was the welds on the hitch inspected cracked welds will have rust in them , Guess this should be added to pre flight inspection. check those welds. 

6 hours ago, runaway parents said:

S o the fact the hitch failed was a good thing  I hope. wright ? I would hope any brand hitch would fail under circumstances like this. I would not want a hitch that was so bullet proof that it would role the truck to. What is in the cab of that truck is more important to me than the trailer is.i don't think the hitch caused this accident . Inertial forces and gravity caused this . I was taught if you go around a corner and you have aply your brakes going threw it your going to fast . slow before you get to corner and power threw it. this eliminates the g forces. Was the welds on the hitch inspected cracked welds will have rust in them , Guess this should be added to pre flight inspection. check those welds. 

I would think the pin box or the front frame (Lippert is always touted as on this forum terribly made and weak) would fail before being able to upset the HDT.   The mass and low CG of the HDT should have helped to stabilize the trailer had the hitch not failed.  This is one of the reasons I chose to move to an HDT.

I take the photos to mean the pin box and front frame (Lippert is always touted on this forum as terribly made and weak) were stronger than the Comfort Ride Hitch.  Which, from what I have read here, is not a resounding endorsement of (at least this particular) CR hitches.

Av8r3400
2012 Volvo VNL 730 D13 iShift & 2021 Grand Design Momentum 397TH

TEq81qV.jpg

I'd rather die trying to live - Than live trying not to die.   -Leonard Perry

18 minutes ago, Av8r3400 said:

I would think the pin box or the front frame (Lippert is always touted as on this forum terribly made and weak) would fail before being able to upset the HDT.   The mass and low CG of the HDT should have helped to stabilize the trailer had the hitch not failed.  This is one of the reasons I chose to move to an HDT.

I take the photos to mean the pin box and front frame (Lippert is always touted on this forum as terribly made and weak) were stronger than the Comfort Ride Hitch.  Which, from what I have read here, is not a resounding endorsement of (at least this particular) CR hitches.

This hitch was a Hensley hitch, not a Comfort Ride hitch. See the photo and conferm for your self, as I have done. 

What hitch do you use and how is it mounted in what kind of truck? It seams that before you post a comment like this you should have some Research into other rollovers with various hitches to see how they held up in a Rollover like this. 

Roger

GCTaaehl.jpg

Never seen a ET Hitch fail on this manner. A motorhome drove one thru an intersection, destroyed the camper and hitch stayed fully intact. I do believe one is putting on a hitch that is inferior to the truck. Not that they are bad hitches, they just not strong enough for the HDT. This is a terrible accident and my heart goes out to ya'll. I do believe if that hitch hadn't failed, you would have a destroyed pin box on camper or it would not layed on side.

2003 Teton Grand Freedom towed with 2006 Freightliner Century 120 across the beautiful USA welding pipe.https://photos.app.goo.gl/O32ZjgzSzgK7LAyt1

Like most of the previous posts, I'm just speculating as to the cause and effects, but it looks like a sturdier hitch would likely have moved the forces to the trailer pin area.  Something was gonna give, once the mass of the trailer was in rotation.

i see Glenn has similar thoughts, and types faster.

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN
Lots of old motorcycles, Moto Guzzi Griso and Spyder F3 currently in the front row
Young enough to play in the dirt as a retired farmer.
contact me at rickeieio1@comcast.net

9 hours ago, GlennWest said:

Never seen a ET Hitch fail on this manner. A motorhome drove one thru an intersection, destroyed the camper and hitch stayed fully intact. I do believe one is putting on a hitch that is inferior to the truck. Not that they are bad hitches, they just not strong enough for the HDT. This is a terrible accident and my heart goes out to ya'll. I do believe if that hitch hadn't failed, you would have a destroyed pin box on camper or it would not layed on side.

The wreck you are thinking about was one of Henry's first hitches.  The trailer was hit directly from behind and driven forward not sideways.  Different forces being applied.

This wreck was twist being applied to the swing arm mounts.  I don't think anyone has rolled a 5th wheel RV with one an ET hitch yet.

And before you come back with how much better the ET is, look at the number of hitches in use.  ET has how many in the field? 4-500 maybe?  Trailer Saver has thousands, with millions of miles on them.

Also, take into account that a blow out combined with the lane maneuver at the same time set up the sway that rolled the RV. 

She started to turn back onto the freeway but then go ahead on the exit.  That swerve was probably the beginning of the end.  At some point, the left front tire on the trailer blew out.  We don’t know how much that added to the rollover, but it did not help.  That tire ended up on the topside of the wreck and it and the rim where chewed to pieces so we know it spent some mean time in contact with the road.  It had not blown before as the TPMS would have let us know. 

Alie & Jim + 8 paws

2017 DRV Memphis 

BART- 1998 Volvo 610

Lil'ole 6cyl Cummins

14 hours ago, Hewhoknowslittle said:

This hitch was a Hensley hitch, not a Comfort Ride hitch. See the photo and conferm for your self, as I have done. 

What hitch do you use and how is it mounted in what kind of truck? It seams that before you post a comment like this you should have some Research into other rollovers with various hitches to see how they held up in a Rollover like this. 

Roger

My apologies for misidentifying the brand of the hitch and all of the offense it has caused.

Weather it is a Hensley, CR, Reese, ET, or whatever, the name doesn't matter.  The weld failure is unacceptable, considering the lack of strength in the front part of the frame on the coach.

Av8r3400
2012 Volvo VNL 730 D13 iShift & 2021 Grand Design Momentum 397TH

TEq81qV.jpg

I'd rather die trying to live - Than live trying not to die.   -Leonard Perry

looking at the photos.

great that nobody got hurt.

but the hitch was a fail.

not sure what standards a rv hitch must pass. but i have seen commercial rigs far more wasted and there was NO fail for the hitch or king pin.

sad accident was the drivers fault. but maybe something could be done do to a defective hitch assembly?

as the hitch should not have come apart.

9 hours ago, GlennWest said:

I saw a trailsaver beside my ET. There is no comparison. What ripped out in this hitch is massive on the ET. 

Glenn,

I am not trying to diss the ET but below are pictures of my 1st generation ET which broke without  being involved in any type of accident.  We don’t full time so not a lot of hitch cycles either.  As you can see from the rusted ends of the bar the cracks had been present for awhile.  DtMPjHGl.jpgIf I had been in the same situation as Chet it is more than likely my whole sled area would have let loose because the only thing holding it together was the bar through the bottom dogbone, the stop plates, and it may have had micro fractures through the bottom bar also.  I think likely in that situation my trailer would have been shredded and it wouldn’t have stayed attached to the truck.  In Henry’s defense he did redesign those stress areas but it proves what looks massive may not necessarily be strong especially if those areas are cracked.cp2eeacl.jpg8mtBkonl.jpg

I have the redesigned sled on my ET now but I would urge anyone with a 1st generation ET to inspect and upgrade.

2006 Volvo 780 "Hoss" Volvo D12, 465hp, 1650 ft/lbs tq., ultrashift

Bed Build by "JW Morgan's Custom Welding"

2017 DRV 39DBRS3

2013 Smart Passion Coupe "Itty Bitty"

"Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first!"

Would be interesting to see what Hensly has to say about this..one thing is for sure there is a lot of stress being put on these hitches. Maybe time to raise the manufacturing standards. Dose not look like either one of these company's can build a decent hitch so maybe a new company should step up and raise the bar on quality and build us a hitch that is actually designed for use on a hdt

I think both companies are building good hitches,  but in this situation, something had to give.  Having the trailer turn over may have been the lesser of evils.  

I would gladly sacrifice the hitch and trailer to save the truck and it's contents.

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN
Lots of old motorcycles, Moto Guzzi Griso and Spyder F3 currently in the front row

11 minutes ago, rickeieio said:

I think both companies are building good hitches,  but in this situation, something had to give.  Having the trailer turn over may have been the lesser of evils.  

I would gladly sacrifice the hitch and trailer to save the truck and it's contents.

I hear what you are saying but if you watch the video you can't even tell when it happened. Like a non event in the truck. It failed easily.

2003 Teton Grand Freedom towed with 2006 Freightliner Century 120 across the beautiful USA welding pipe.https://photos.app.goo.gl/O32ZjgzSzgK7LAyt1

12 minutes ago, GlennWest said:

I hear what you are saying but if you watch the video you can't even tell when it happened. Like a non event in the truck. It failed easily.

Actually, I think that may be better than to have it build a lot of stress, then suddenly let go.

But, I wasn't there, my hands weren't on the wheel.  It all speculation.

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN

Archived