VOLVO TOWING 5TH DURING ROLLOVER

NeverEasy

20 hours ago, Dollytrolley said:

I gotta thank everyone helping on this thread............this has been a real eye-open-er for me the view the ........."progressive-manner-of-accident-investigation(z)............

On the very first accident investigation I was coerced into I was as dumb-as-a-box-of-rocks (still guilty) and so being the wet-behind-the-ears-kid-in-the-room I sat through the morning session where four Phd-big-brain geeks poured over at least a hundred pages of measurments, photos, blood alkahol-Drug-Urine-even-fingernail and hair tests of the offending deceased pilot and electron-scanning-mike-ro-scope shot of the prop-strikes and incandance-bulb-fill-e-memt-tests.................so I held my mouth shut until the Bigest of the Phd-geeks looked out over the crew and said........."any questions or comments?"...........of course being the only LEAST educated and dumb-as-a-box-of-rocks newbee in the room I stood up and said............."well shucks with that hundred pages of info any fool can see that ole Willy fummbled the throttles on takeoff and then dropped below blue-line (single-engine-control-speed) and augered in and "bought-the-farm"......"boy, boy this accident-gig thing is a piece-of-cake aint it???"

You could pin drop as everyone turned around with a HUGE grin on their faces and then .........Too-Tall-Paul said......"well gents....indeed this is our lucky day to have Mike drop-in and solve this accident ...........AND........ of course since he has VIOLATED the sterile rule of NEVER .........EVER......EVER....postulating on the accidents factual cause(s) UNTIL ALL data IS reviewed he IS HEREBY FINED in the TOTAL AMOUNT OF...........PRIME RIB LUNCH FOR ALL OF US!!!!!"

Yep I was...........as dumb-as-a-box-of-rocks before lunch.......BUT.....by the time lunch was over (and paid for) I was a hell-of-lot more ......."educated" about accident investigation.......

Thes "big-brain-geeks" got "lucky" sometimes and found some really interesting causes for accidents but it was tedious, time consuming, costly, boring, work and sometimes not able to find the exact cause of the crash in spite of all the brain-power expended....

I like the In-Vest-I-gation methods deployed on this thread much better and so............IF there is still some room to "crawl-out-on-the-limb" let me...... ask a dumb question............"Why is everyone looking so intensively at the truck when it is the trailer that is wrecked-laying-on-it's-side-in-the-ditch-with-a-blown-tire-and-ground-flat-wheel?  ?   ?"

Where in the "accident-chain-of-events" did the tire get shredded and the wheel grinding occure?  ?   ?

Ok.....OK ..........maybe we just vote and see who gets to buy ALL of us prime-rib lunch.......

Drive on..........(accident-chain-of-events..........so old school.....)

So what your saying it might have been  the shredded tire and ground down wheel that caused this accident .Wonder what kind of tire was it .Who made the wheel ? need more investigation. With all the investigators on this forum we will get to the bottom of this in no time at all. 

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The tire was a Gladiator ST235/80R16 (I believe).  They were on the trailer less than a year.  Date code put them at 18 months old.

The tire did not go down before the event started but did go early on as the TPMS alarm is what brought me out of the sleeper in a hurry.  At that point, the DW was braking hard and I had to grab onto the passenger seat to keep from meeting the dash. 

The blown tire (front left) was on the top of the trailer when it came to rest.  The tire was shredded and the aluminum wheel had made some serious contact with the pavement.  I didn't think to take a picture of it. 

Water under the bridge now  I am running Cooper LTs on the current rig.  No tire problems on two long trips to the mid-west.  From Virginia, one trip to the National HDT rally and one to Oshkosh, WI for the fly-in.

Chet & Deb
'01 Volvo 660 w/ Smart
'19 Forest River Columbus 320RS 5th wheel
2022 Chev 2500HD Long Bed
Retired CWO4, USN and federal service
Electronics Tech/Network Engineer/Welder/Machinist

Sure glad to here that every body was ok . hope your dw has gotten back behind the wheel. she is a better driver now for have gone threw this experience. Not to say she wasn't before. She kept things from getting much worse .Could not tell in the video but was there deep pot holes along the road where things hit the fan?

Archived