Friend lost insurance

Broncohauler

8 minutes ago, Broncohauler said:

I’ll re read the other posts. But I thought National General wasn’t writing new policies?

That was some other company with National in their name. I had to do a double take when I saw that. Miller Insurance agency out of Oregon is one many of us use - http://www.millerrvinsurance.com/

Dan (Class of 2017) - 2012 Ram 3500 & 2005 Alpenlite Valhalla 29RK
Contact me at rvsolarconsulting.com or Two Wheel Ramblin

I went through Miller after Blue Sky stopped writing/renewing policies and got an excellent policy with National General.  I would definitely recommend giving Miller a call.  They know there stuff when it comes to RV’s and HDT’s in RV service.

2000 Kenworth T2000 w/ Cummins N14 and autoshift
2017 DRV Mobile Suite 40KSSB4 with factory mods, dealer mods and personal mods - now in the RV graveyard
2022 DRV Full House MX450 with customized floor plan
2018 Polaris RZR Turbo S (fits in the garage)
2016 Smart Car (fits in the garage or gets flat towed behind the DRV when the RZR is in the garage)
My First Solar Install Thread
My Second Solar Install Thread & Photos and Documents Related to the build
My MX450's solar, battery and inverter system - my biggest system yet!

chadheiser.com      West Coast HDT Rally Website

event.png    

AZCACOIDIAKSMNMOMTNENVNMNDOKSDTNTXUTWYxlg.jpg

I am currently shopping for insurance. I found an old chart on the irv2 forums and I coped all the companies close to me. There are 2 that I found that will write them. My insurance broker said she must have called a dozen companies and they all said no. I came up with these on my own. The chart I found was a few years old. Many of the companies quit doing it or are out of business.

Iowa Forest City Farm & City Insurance Service
P.O. Box 248,
Forest City, IA - 50436

Phone: 800-331-1520

Farm and City will do it but they have rules. You can never drive your HDT without the camper attached. I said what If I need grocerys. She said get them ahead of time. I politely said thanks but no thanks.

Michigan Grand Rapids Thum Insurance Agency
3310 Eagle Park Dr NE. Suite 210,
Grand Rapids, MI 49525

Toll Free: 800-866-0777
Phone: 616-957-2400
Fax: 616-957-1204

I am currently waiting for a quote from Thum. Very helpful. no crazy rules.

I got a quote from State farm. They will insure my HDT as a personal passenger vehicle. If I change all my vehicles over to state farm  the truck will be $90 a month for full coverage. Plus my other vehicles. Problem is I don't like State Farm.

Farmer, Trucker, Equipment operator, Mechanic

Quando omni flunkus moritati-When all else fails, play dead
I'm a man, but I can change, if I have to, I guess.

Mine is with Miller but did notice premium is going up by $160.  Are companies just refusing to write HDTs or are folks having trouble with MDTs and duallys?

2006 Volvo 780 "Hoss" Volvo D12, 465hp, 1650 ft/lbs tq., ultrashift

Bed Build by "JW Morgan's Custom Welding"

2017 DRV 39DBRS3

2013 Smart Passion Coupe "Itty Bitty"

"Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first!"

My Class 7 Super-C is with Progressive. I don't know if Progressive will do HDT hauler/tractors though. 

I believe Chris & Charles Yost of C & C Marketing are full-timers who's business is insurance. I know they write RV policies. I'm not sure if they'll cover HDT haulers though. They can be reached at ‭(936) 425-5041‬

14 minutes ago, Mntom said:

This is the one he posted for those who need it: http://photoposting.is-great.net/?i=3

Thanks for posting.  I'll see if I can get someone to add the link to a stickee post on the forum.

On edit:  The stickee post is in the works.

2017 DRV Mobile Suite 40KSSB4 with factory mods, dealer mods and personal mods - now in the RV graveyard
2016 Smart Car (fits in the garage or gets flat towed behind the DRV when the RZR is in the garage)

event.png    

9 hours ago, SuiteSuccess said:

Mine is with Miller but did notice premium is going up by $160.  Are companies just refusing to write HDTs or are folks having trouble with MDTs and duallys?

I think that there is an issue with the other than RV'ers that say they are RV'ers having insurance underwritten when they are skirting the commercial side.  I also know that when we went to National General, we were asked to send pics of the truck bed showing the rv hitch and such.  

Alie & Jim + 8 paws

2017 DRV Memphis 

BART- 1998 Volvo 610

Lil'ole 6cyl Cummins

I just went with State Farm. I had to move all my vehicles over there. My bill went up only $40 from what I was paying without the truck at my previous insurance company. I got a $2,000 deductible and I got a low mileage discount. I cant go over 7,500 miles a year. Not a problem for me. We only do one or two long trips a year and a bunch of short ones. I got towing and road side assistance. I got the higher deductible because my truck don't have all the fancy fairings. If I bend my bumper, wheel or hit my fuel tank and its my fault I wont turn it in anyway. I will fix it myself. If Someone else hits me I am covered by the uninsured motorist clause.....Actually that reminds me I have to make sure that is in the policy. I'm doing the paperwork to change over tomorrow.

Turns out most of these companies wont let you drive the tractor without the trailer hooked up or hooked to another kind of trailer. No bob tailing. State farm will insure you as a private passenger vehicle. I can jump in and drive it any time and anywhere I want to.

Farmer, Trucker, Equipment operator, Mechanic

Quando omni flunkus moritati-When all else fails, play dead
I'm a man, but I can change, if I have to, I guess.

Gulfway out of Florida insures race car rigs. I had my Peterbilt with them but now my local (10 mi. vs 1000) State Farm will insure it for a little less money. Friend has a Freightliner and only had to put a porta potty in the back and its an RV. Can't remember who he's insured with.

I am insured through Miller and Progressive I was told that I had to insure both the Truck and 5th wheel at the same time paid cash for the truck and set up the 5er on monthly payments. I was told that I had to keep the bobtailing to a minimum as with most policies.  

Life is great when you can scratch that hitch itch.........

1999, Volvo VNL 610, D12/10 spd Eaton, Manual, 370 gears   Aka  The Beast

2014 Crossroads Redwood 38GK     Used to be called the Beast Tamer when I had to tow with my old 1 ton Dodge but not anymore!!

The picture stickie is up.

C&C is under new ownership. We have been working with them on "easing" insurance issuance for our customers. They will write HDTs without restrictions (as far as I can tell), but their price is not as good as others...at least on the initial test quotes, I have done.  

Insurance continues to be an issue - getting good insurance at a reasonable price is possible, but it varies widely based on your particular circumstances. 

Farm and City will write to several companies, but as noted they have rules. I have insurance with them, and my POLICY does not have a rule that the trailer must be attached. I do have a restriction that I cannot "sleep" in my truck. That said, I am looking for a provider that has competitive rates, will write in all 48 states, and is wanting our business. We had a provider lined up, but our test policies were problematic, so they were "eliminated". 

Jack & Danielle Mayer #60376 Lifetime Member
Living on the road since 2000

PLEASE no PM's. Email me. jackdanmayer AT gmail
2016 DRV Houston 44' 5er (we still have it)
2022 New Horizons 43' 5er
2016 Itasca 27N 28' motorhome 
2019 Volvo 860, D13 455/1850, 236" wb, I-Shift, battery-based APU
No truck at the moment - we use one of our demo units
2016 smart Passion, piggyback on the truck
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
See our website for info on New Horizons 5th wheels, HDTs as tow vehicles, communications on the road, and use of solar power
www.jackdanmayer.com
Principal in RVH Lifestyles. RVH-Lifestyles.com

Thank you, Jack. I called Miller and asked about bobtail with truck. Get fuel, go to Lowe's to pick up an item. Pick up Depot freight I order. Stated picking up stuff would be rare though. She said no problem. Did say if that becomes common might should look at private truck registration and insurance. Stated insurance wouldn't be much difference.

2003 Teton Grand Freedom towed with 2006 Freightliner Century 120 across the beautiful USA welding pipe.https://photos.app.goo.gl/O32ZjgzSzgK7LAyt1

On 2/9/2018 at 6:52 AM, Jack Mayer said:

The picture stickie is up.

Thanks for getting this taken care of Jack.

event.png    

Archived