Mag Drill

CrazyCooter

How did I live this long doing fab work without owning this tool!!!!??? Got the Dewalt drill with a nice assortment of Milwaukee cutters up to 1 1/4"

Started drilling plate and angle this evening for mounting of the unused Trailer Saver that I scored in an Ebay deal this winter and what a dream that was! 28-5/8" holes through 1/2" plate and 3/8" angle in like 40 mins. Wish I bought this two years ago when we started building the truck....Me wife told me to long ago but I was being stubborn.

1999 Peterbilt 385 C12 430/1650 13spd

2006 Dodge 3500 DRW 4x4

2010 Hitchhiker Champagne 36 LKRSB

Ha, now I know where to go when I need a bunch of holes drilled. ;)

2000 Kenworth T2000 w/ Cummins N14 and autoshift
2017 DRV Mobile Suite 40KSSB4 with factory mods, dealer mods and personal mods - now in the RV graveyard
2022 DRV Full House MX450 with customized floor plan
2018 Polaris RZR Turbo S (fits in the garage)
2016 Smart Car (fits in the garage or gets flat towed behind the DRV when the RZR is in the garage)
My First Solar Install Thread
My Second Solar Install Thread & Photos and Documents Related to the build
My MX450's solar, battery and inverter system - my biggest system yet!

chadheiser.com      West Coast HDT Rally Website

event.png    

AZCACOIDIAKSMNMOMTNENVNMNDOKSDTNTXUTWYxlg.jpg

8 hours ago, CrazyCooter said:

wife told me to long ago but I was being stubborn.

Same scenario here with the plasma cutter.  Used it just yesterday.

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN
Lots of old motorcycles, Moto Guzzi Griso and Spyder F3 currently in the front row
Young enough to play in the dirt as a retired farmer.
contact me at rickeieio1@comcast.net

8 hours ago, CrazyCooter said:

How did I live this long doing fab work without owning this tool!!!!??? Got the Dewalt drill with a nice assortment of Milwaukee cutters up to 1 1/4"

Started drilling plate and angle this evening for mounting of the unused Trailer Saver that I scored in an Ebay deal this winter and what a dream that was! 28-5/8" holes through 1/2" plate and 3/8" angle in like 40 mins. Wish I bought this two years ago when we started building the truck....Me wife told me to long ago but I was being stubborn.

Hey Crazy,

What model number Dewalt did you get ? I have an old Milwaukee what needs some work. Does not run true when drilling. I believe that there is something going on with the chuck or maybe the armature.

If the wife would let me buy a tool I never looked back. You never know if she is going to change her mind. lol.

I need to do a lot more work on the deck of the truck. So a new drill could come in handy. And the old drill is heavy.

Al

2012 Volvo VNL 630 w/ I-Shift; D13 engine; " Veeger "
  Redwood, model 3401R ; 5th Wheel Trailer, " Dead Wood "
    2006 Smart Car " Killer Frog "

9 hours ago, Chad Heiser said:

Ha, now I know where to go when I need a bunch of holes drilled. ;)

Pretty sure we could do whatever you need!

7 hours ago, Refuzn-To-Grow-Up said:

The DW is always right, right?

She was this time.....lol!

1 hour ago, alan0043 said:

Hey Crazy,

What model number Dewalt did you get ? I have an old Milwaukee what needs some work. Does not run true when drilling. I believe that there is something going on with the chuck or maybe the armature.

If the wife would let me buy a tool I never looked back. You never know if she is going to change her mind. lol.

I need to do a lot more work on the deck of the truck. So a new drill could come in handy. And the old drill is 

27 minutes ago, runaway parents said:

Mag drills are the bees knees they sure make things easier. .Drilled my bolt holes threw frame. buy hanging a drill press on its side from a engine hoist seem kind of odd but worked great .

I remember the struggle two years ago when I started this whole deal. Nothing wrong with inventing a new way with what you have at your disposal!

1 hour ago, rickeieio said:

Same scenario here with the plasma cutter.  Used it just yesterday.

She told me to buy the plasma cutter too! That was building the bed for the Chevy 13 years ago.

Got this one:http://www.dewalt.com/products/power-tools/drills/angle-drills-and-specialty-drills/2-2speed-magnetic-drill-press/dwe1622k

2006 Dodge 3500 DRW 4x4

I keep looking for a used Mag Drill. One of those would sure be nice for a lot of things. But you need to get one of these to cut steel. https://www.milwaukeetool.com/power-tools/corded/6370-20 This saw cuts through 1/2" Steel plate like butter. I used it to cut 1/4" Plate and its more like cutting plywood. 1/2" cuts faster then anything I have ever used. And its smooth when your done cutting also. I did cut some 1" stock with it, and it did the job doing that also.

Pete

event.png

They are sweet, but I rather use a metabo blade. Blades will fit on standard 4 1/2" grinders. Cut very smooth. Lot less investment too. Smaller footprint. We full time so small tools, big plus

2003 Teton Grand Freedom towed with 2006 Freightliner Century 120 across the beautiful USA welding pipe.https://photos.app.goo.gl/O32ZjgzSzgK7LAyt1

8 hours ago, GlennWest said:

They are sweet, but I rather use a metabo blade. Blades will fit on standard 4 1/2" grinders. Cut very smooth. Lot less investment too. Smaller footprint. We full time so small tools, big plus

I use those also. But bought the saw, to cut 2 sheets of 1/4" steel. That has 2" of Soft lead inside it. Have 48,000 lbs of lead. It encased inside 1/4" steel, and 1/4" SS plate. They weight from 3300 lbs to 4200 lbs each. Would take way to long to cut through with a metabo blade. Plus I got the saw for $125.00 delivered off ebay.

event.png

10 hours ago, Pete Kildow said:

I keep looking for a used Mag Drill. One of those would sure be nice for a lot of things. But you need to get one of these to cut steel. https://www.milwaukeetool.com/power-tools/corded/6370-20 This saw cuts through 1/2" Steel plate like butter. I used it to cut 1/4" Plate and its more like cutting plywood. 1/2" cuts faster then anything I have ever used. And its smooth when your done cutting also. I did cut some 1" stock with it, and it did the job doing that also.

Pete

Like this?

w5lbU13l.jpg

That's a hillbilly work bench, during my bed build.  Here's another shot:

8RQ9UQyl.jpg

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN
Lots of old motorcycles, Moto Guzzi Griso and Spyder F3 currently in the front row

1 hour ago, Pete Kildow said:

I use those also. But bought the saw, to cut 2 sheets of 1/4" steel. That has 2" of Soft lead inside it. Have 48,000 lbs of lead. It encased inside 1/4" steel, and 1/4" SS plate. They weight from 3300 lbs to 4200 lbs each. Would take way to long to cut through with a metabo blade. Plus I got the saw for $125.00 delivered off ebay.

That doesn't look like a metal  cutting blade to me . But , maybe I'll learn something new today .

28732_6370-20.jpg?w=520

Goes around , comes around .

When using that saw, ALWAYS use a heavy extension cord.  They don't like voltage drop.

I took mine to JW Morgan's (remember him?) when he mounted our hitch.  He'd never seen one, and was surprised when I cut through a 4x5x5/8" angle.

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN

On ‎8‎/‎31‎/‎2017 at 7:16 AM, GlennWest said:

I use Metabo blades (when nothing else will work), but these blades are an accident looking for a place to happen.  Do a youtube (or google) search on metabo blade accidents.  CAUTION:  The videos and photos are not for the faint of heart.  A full face mask and blade guard are a must and constant awareness of where the "shrapnel" will fly, should the blade "grenade." 

With that said, I am typing with a finger that was stitched up last weekend, due to an "industrial" accident. 

I am looking into buying Kevlar lined gloves, to protect my hands when my brain allows me to do dumbazz stuff.

Anyone have any recommendations for cut resistant gloves?

Metabo blade accidents are blown out of proportion. Yes, stupid people misuse them and get hurt. Seriously using a grinder with no guard, using no face shield, no gloves, yes stupid. Been using them for as long as they came on market. Only serious accident I have seen was a metabo blade on an end grinder. It came up his arm. But that was beyond stupid. Used properly it is a valuable safe tool. 

2003 Teton Grand Freedom towed with 2006 Freightliner Century 120 across the beautiful USA welding pipe.https://photos.app.goo.gl/O32ZjgzSzgK7LAyt1

15 hours ago, rickeieio said:

When using that saw, ALWAYS use a heavy extension cord.  They don't like voltage drop.

I took mine to JW Morgan's (remember him?) when he mounted our hitch.  He'd never seen one, and was surprised when I cut through a 4x5x5/8" angle.

Yes! I made up a 10ga cord for the portable lift, on car brake lathe, and A/C machine to hopefully save the motors in them. The tool guy told me today that saw had been discontinued? Mine is getting all beat up and was thinking of maybe a new one next year...Might have to get the Dewalt instead.

Doesn't seem to matter how thick the tube is, it just machines it right off. So far I like the Diablo ceramic blades the best. The OE Milwaukee blade wore out fast with the Dewalt being quite a bit better, but the Diablo last possibly 5-10 times longer in my experience..

2006 Dodge 3500 DRW 4x4

I've used mine for cutting sheet metal many times, removing flooring from grain bins.  I have been using blades from the local hardware store and have had good luck.  One issue is that the steel chips get embedded in the cord.  I clean it after each use.

And yes, it's made the chop saw nearly obsolete. Just the ticket for cutting sheet steel for the bed, and even to split pipe for making radius corners.

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN

7 hours ago, noteven said:

Do the blades for these saws work on worm drive carpentry saws with 5/8" arbors? 

Or does the blade rely on specific rpm from the saw motor? 

You can buy metal cutting blades for a normal skill saw. I get mine at Lowe's. They do a good job on thin stuff. But the saw does not last long. Plus that one in my post. Catches almost all the flying stuff. And metal is not that hot when done. I can pick up 1/4" metal after cutting it . And no gloves on for that. Also be sure to dump the blade trap often. As it will fill with metal shavings fast.

Buddy of mine had a 1/2" plate to cut. He was telling me how it wised there was a better faster way to cut it. I told him to give me a $100.oo and would take care of it. Ordered a new blade, And when we got done with the job. He was going to find his own saw. He had a sheet of 3/4" 8ft wide and 40ft long to cut up in to small pieces. He cut every cut with that same blade I give him back after the first cuttings.

Pete

event.png

On 8/31/2017 at 7:39 PM, rickeieio said:

Like this?

w5lbU13l.jpg

That's a hillbilly work bench, during my bed build.  Here's another shot:

8RQ9UQyl.jpg

Just like mine, and we have the same bench designer. LOL I have 3 sheets of 3/8" stock to cut soon. Replacing 2 ft of the floor on 33ft tilt gooseneck trailer. And metal place wants way to much to shear the 3 sheets in half. I think it was $42.50 per sheet. I can cut all three in half and only be out what they want for one sheet.

Pete

event.png

Archived