New Project

phoenix2013

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You can get the truck without a hitch. You just have to know how to navigate the engineering exceptions.....a typical commercial truck dealer could not get it done.

Jack & Danielle Mayer #60376 Lifetime Member
Living on the road since 2000

PLEASE no PM's. Email me. jackdanmayer AT gmail
2016 DRV Houston 44' 5er (we still have it)
2022 New Horizons 43' 5er
2016 Itasca 27N 28' motorhome 
2019 Volvo 860, D13 455/1850, 236" wb, I-Shift, battery-based APU
No truck at the moment - we use one of our demo units
2016 smart Passion, piggyback on the truck
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
See our website for info on New Horizons 5th wheels, HDTs as tow vehicles, communications on the road, and use of solar power
www.jackdanmayer.com
Principal in RVH Lifestyles. RVH-Lifestyles.com

Having a 5th wheel on a new (first sale) truck is akin to buying a work pickup with or without a bed.  To be a completed vehicle it must have a 5th wheel (like pickups have to have beds) and can't be customer installed.  Otherwise a 2nd stager needs to certify it as complete when done.  Maybe that was important to the owner?  I also don't know Volvo and how they split it up, but I suspect with GHG rules this one is always going to be stuck a tractor and have a 5th wheel to deal with (ie: EPA/GHG just can't wrap their heads around full fairings used anywhere off the freeway.  Sometimes a guy just wants fairings and doesn't "mean" anything by it). 

It is an interesting spec as it is everything you'd be when converting a used tractor but it is brand new.  Definitely not something you see built every day.  Would be interesting to hear the trials and tribulations of specing it from the owner.  I'm sure it wasn't an easy one.

The owner of the truck has never been on this forum, started lurking two days ago, his first correction to my original post, "it's not 2017, it's 2018".

OK, one has to "flexible on these projects". First I needed to get through certain "gifts from the manufacturer", or the ET was not going to go in there.

Air line going straight up (into an ET) needed to go flat.

vrSaDEWl.jpg

The suspension leveling valve needed to vacate Volvo designated area to make room for ET.

dCQc7cQl.jpg

How far did the valve go forward?

7twuQy2l.jpg

17 inches., couldn't go forward anymore and keep the push rod away from the pumpkin..

Note the cute bracket we fabricated to anchor the bottom of the rod in the new location

Pxqa7MOl.jpg

Before the "move" the frame rails we exactly at 40 inches inflated, after the move and the new bracket the frame rails at 40 inches again. Once everything was working the valve bracket was permanently attached to the frame.

2yQxGrXl.jpg

I can already hear the hollering, "OMG, he's welding to the frame", Yea, yea, yea, it's done all the time, this is such a small and piddly weld and there was no way to get in there with anything, drill, torch, mag drill without disassembling the rear axle and suspension. Oh, the bracket also needed to be heated and re-bent from two 45 degree bends to two 90 degree bends, so the valve now sits parallel to the frame.

Once this was done we re-measured the frame and determined that the frame needed to go back 10 inches to mount the ET

sq1eV7Kl.jpg

Before it would have to been 27 inches, Next step was too weld the extensions to the frame rails.

XunZhSZl.jpg

4XQUcoVl.jpg

More project "tasks" tomorrow.

Net Proceeds has a sliding ET. Max f/r 27".

J&V with Edina (RIP), the wonder dobie and
Net Proceeds our 2005 Volvo VNL630 256" WB. Focus SVT on the back, in the garage. ET Hitch controlling the articulation. Jackalopee controlling the 'juice'. 2002 Teton 39' Grand Sundance
All still a work in progress.
Photos and comments at http://gallery.ournetproceeds.com

4 hours ago, Black said:

Quick question; Why not extend the extensions into the inside of the frame rather than butt weld them?

My thoughts also. 

2016 Western Star 5700xe (Pathfinder) DD15 555hp

w/12 speed automatic 3:05 diffs

2005 Newmar Mountain Aire 38RLPK

2 Great Danes

My bet he only needed the six inches. So when the hitch mount angles and plate are in they extend into frame 3' so no issues. 

Looks nice Henry! 

Bill and Joan and 3 Collie pups

2001 Volvo VNL 770 "The Doghouse" Singled short, "ET" hItch VED12 465HP Gen 1 Autoshift 3.58 ratio  2005 Mobile Suite 38RL3  2011 Smart Passion loaded piggybacK

Weigh-It Portable RV Scales http://www.weighitrv.com/

The mounting plate 5/8 thick (part of the hitch)  is 34 inches long and 32 1/2 inches wide. Mounting angles (part of the hitch) are 34 inches long, so the hitch is supported mostly inside the original frame and only 10 inches on the extensions.. All trucks have the inner dimension between the rail at about 32 1/2 inches there is very little clearance, no more than 1/4 inch. There is no room for doubling  or fishplating. The weld start with a deep V-groove in the frame and extension on the inside, total penetration and fusing of the parts welded on the inside and outside. My welder has certifications from here to Kingdom come in steel, aluminum, stainless, etc. and has been doing it for decades. The weld will be fine, the hitch will be fine. Are there other "concerns"?

I posted a close up of the welds so that other professional welders could appreciate his "art".

I wasn't concerned about the quality of the weld or the welders qualifications, just wondering why it didn't extend inside the frame.  Thanks for the very detailed answer though, I didn't know it was such a minimal amount of clearance in there.

I'm curious to see what goes on the outside on the frame since there's no room for fishplating, please keep the pictures coming!

2 minutes ago, Black said:

I wasn't concerned about the quality of the weld or the welders qualifications, just wondering why it didn't extend inside the frame.  Thanks for the very detailed answer though, I didn't know it was such a minimal amount of clearance in there.

Yes and it varies slightly from truck to truck and frame to frame, so I allow for little bit of clearance in the vertical mounting bolts to cinch the angles to the frames and the frames do give the last few hundreds of an inch. We've done extensions up to six feet long and in those instances we used tempered steel, doubling of the transition with an inner rail and an additional brace across.

4 x 4 x 1/2" thick 34 1/4" long. I used to use 4 x 4 tubing 3/16 inch wall but it was a PITA to install,

The angle offsets the ET four inches up from the bottom rail flange which puts the head at precisely 47 inches from the ground. Without it the trailer will be running 4 inches low at the pin putting lot more weight on the trailer's front axle vs. the other two.

1 hour ago, phoenix2013 said:

The mounting plate 5/8 thick (part of the hitch)  is 34 inches long and 32 1/2 inches wide. Mounting angles (part of the hitch) are 34 inches long, so the hitch is supported mostly inside the original frame and only 10 inches on the extensions.. All trucks have the inner dimension between the rail at about 32 1/2 inches there is very little clearance, no more than 1/4 inch. There is no room for doubling  or fishplating. The weld start with a deep V-groove in the frame and extension on the inside, total penetration and fusing of the parts welded on the inside and outside. My welder has certifications from here to Kingdom come in steel, aluminum, stainless, etc. and has been doing it for decades. The weld will be fine, the hitch will be fine. Are there other "concerns"?

I posted a close up of the welds so that other professional welders could appreciate his "art".

Thanks for the insight. 

2016 Western Star 5700xe (Pathfinder) DD15 555hp

w/12 speed automatic 3:05 diffs

2005 Newmar Mountain Aire 38RLPK

2 Great Danes

Those welds are almost like mine. But there missing the slag holes. Skip spots lows and highs. Other then that just like mine. First week in welding class. Teacher told me to cover mine up. Before the fly's started blowing it. Not sure why he thought that.

When the plate was cut into. 2" thick with welds. I had one void in the whole spot. And passed with flying colors. Until he found out later I did it with a wire welder.:unsure:

Now as for that truck. Perfection for sure, not a better looking truck out there.

Pete

PS. Sure I missed it somewhere. But what wheelbase is that one? Again nice truck for sure.

event.png

Archived