New Project

phoenix2013

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply
29 minutes ago, Seniramsu said:

Like those stainless fenders! Looks good!

Yours was the "inspiration" for this one. Remember the wiring, there were many hours spent on this one too. We wiped out the light's supply at the chrome shop, hence the holes waiting for lights.

13 hours ago, MrSeas said:

Hey Phoenix,  any chance you could ask the owner of your newest project if he would mind sharing the spec sheet for his truck?  Might be useful to someone in the future. 

Thx

No worries.   It may take me time since I am not near an Internet computer most of the time.  

This truck is spec'd similar to a FedEx spec truck.  It's an 80,000 GCWR single axle truck /tractor fancied up with factory options.  For example; I ordered the dinnette/workstation without the upper bunk.  Instead I have the factory row of cabinets above the dinnette.  My wife and I wouldn't use the bunk, just the dinnette bed, but will use the overhead storage as you would in an RV.

We are all unique people, like fingerprints.  There are no wrong answers here.  Build the truck that works for you and enjoy the process.

My truck has a 215" wheelbase.  That was the shortest that I could get with my fuel load, def, etc.

Stay safe gentlemen.

On 7/6/2017 at 2:28 PM, phoenix2013 said:

First there was this one,

djxxu3Xl.jpg

I keep looking at this pic and scratching my head.  The tires do not appear wide enough to be super singles and there does not appear to be a tandem wheel on each axle.  So, what has been done?  Have the inner wheels been removed?  Are my old eyes deceiving me?

300.JPG.c2a50e50210ede7534c4c440c7f9aa80.JPG

Randy, Nancy and Oscar

"The Great White" - 2004 Volvo VNL670, D12, 10-speed, converted to single axle pulling a Keystone Cambridge 5th wheel, 40', 4 slides and about 19,000# with empty tanks.

ARS - WB4BZX, Electrical Engineer, Master Electrician, D.Ed., Professor Emeritus - Happily Retired!

9 minutes ago, RandyA said:

I keep looking at this pic and scratching my head.  The tires do not appear wide enough to be super singles and there does not appear to be a tandem wheel on each axle.  So, what has been done?  Have the inner wheels been removed?  Are my old eyes deceiving me?

The inner wheels were removed, because the truck was going to be singled and we only needed four tires.

ET installation tip, "How to deal with huck bolts where you can't have no stinkn' huck bolts".  Like here where the hitch mounting angles need to go.

s18slMXl.jpg

Cut a piece of cardboard the size of the angle and tape it to the angle.

xG40M1Jl.jpg

Place it in the position where it will be bolted in, get a small piece of 2 x 4 and big hammer, smack the 2 x 4 into the angle to depress an image on the cardboard.

B53bLx9l.jpg

Mark the centers of the depressions with a punch through the cardboard, remove the cardboard, use the marks to to mag drill 1 1/2" holes, they clear the huck bolt heads nicely. We had to create another mounting hole since the "designated one: was in the "huck bolt area".

FyiUkkTl.jpg

Honestly, I haven't tried it yet.  Big trip coming up (Airventure).  Will advise.  Hope to set up the camera for your too...

Av8r3400
2012 Volvo VNL 730 D13 iShift & 2021 Grand Design Momentum 397TH

TEq81qV.jpg

I'd rather die trying to live - Than live trying not to die.   -Leonard Perry

Archived