04 6.0 power stroke pos

runaway parents

Enough is enough kid finally got rid of this lemon .I wouldn't wish this thing on any body. Steadily continued to go down hill new computer $2000.00 egr valve $600. now egr cooler $35000. blowing white smoke out of tail pipe. Bad injectors. What I have been told once the egr cooler goes possibility hydraulic damage can happen bent connecting rods stretched head bolts blown head gaskets. What a money pit. Evidently this is typical of this year of truck. Be warned don't buy this year of power stroke it was a bad year for ford. my old 97 7.3 is still running strong. at 1/4 million miles it has been a good truck.

Enough is enough kid finally got rid of this lemon .I wouldn't wish this thing on any body. Steadily continued to go down hill new computer $2000.00 egr valve $600. now egr cooler $35000. blowing white smoke out of tail pipe. Bad injectors. What I have been told once the egr cooler goes possibility hydraulic damage can happen bent connecting rods stretched head bolts blown head gaskets. What a money pit. Evidently this is typical of this year of truck. Be warned don't buy this year of power stroke it was a bad year for ford. my old 97 7.3 is still running strong. at 1/4 million miles it has been a good truck.

Yeah, I just got rid of my 6.4l 2008 F450 and went with a Ram with the Cummins. No problems with the Ford but only had 22,000 miles on it and got really good trade on it. Had a 97 Ram with the Cummins for over 15 years with zero issues except paint from sitting outside. My research showed the 7.3 to be a decent motor but after that suspect. Too many different manufacturers International, Navistar, then Ford in house. Must admit although I like the Ram, I think the Ford had better ride, turning, and handling. The Ram just seems stiff.

2006 Volvo 780 "Hoss" Volvo D12, 465hp, 1650 ft/lbs tq., ultrashift

Bed Build by "JW Morgan's Custom Welding"

2017 DRV 39DBRS3

2013 Smart Passion Coupe "Itty Bitty"

"Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first!"

EGR delete, coolant filter, stud kit and intake elbow, with a good tune eliminate 99% of the problems on the 6.0. Ford addressed most of the problems by 05, and the new torqueshift trans helped out as well. I do miss my 7.3 though. Drunk driver decided I needed an newer truck last year.

BTW, for those with a 7.3, since I don't have one anymore, I have a new IDM, HD glow plug relay, and stock turbo housing available.

Shannon

2003 International Eagle 9200i, Cummins ISX, Freedomline

2007 Teton Scottsdale XT4

The 6.0 had several issues but as noted above, head studs and either an EGR delete or the new style EGR and the oil cooler replacement makes them pretty much bullet proof. The 6.4 improved things a little bit but had dismal fuel mileage and some issues. Once Ford decided to design their own engine and came out with the 6.7, things have been fine. That engine is dependable and produces a bunch of HP and Torque with good fuel economy.

2017 Kenworth T680
2015 DRV 38RSSA Elite Suites
2016 Smart Prime

This is me personally, I would never buy a Ford truck. Ford just made a problem truck and as soon as warranty gone, you were on your own. Chevy had bad injectors in the Duramax 04. Gmc gave that truck lifetime warranty on the injectors. But I have no dog in this.

2003 Teton Grand Freedom towed with 2006 Freightliner Century 120 across the beautiful USA welding pipe.https://photos.app.goo.gl/O32ZjgzSzgK7LAyt1

To the OP, thanks for sharing your bad experience, and glad to hear it's over.

Glenn, interesting your mention of Ford's unhelpful attitude concerning these issues. I've been reading many posts in truck forums suggesting that Ford tries to shirk their responsibility even during warranty (by alleging warranty violations, without basis according to the posters, like water in the fuel, bad oil, etc) so this is one more black mark for them in my book.

Me, I have no truck yet but should be buying a 1-ton late next year or early 2018 at most, and it should be a RAM. The Cummins reliability is nothing short of legendary, and the truck has the best towing capacities in class (helpful for us trying to stay with an SRW). I had hopes for the 2017 aluminum HD Fords, but when they finally came our, their capacity numbers were really disappointing... so unless something dramatic happens, it will be a RAM.

Cheers,

--

Vall.

Getting ready to join the RV full-time lifestyle in 2017!

I agree as we had a fleet of Ford diesels then Cummins Dodge and then Chevy after I left the company.

Funny thing is there is no reason Ram can't copy the good frame and body of the others as well as the ride.

Many of the HDT community will remember one active member who moved near me and then left the club? Well he shall be nameless so I can tell you that he built two very nice Fords with blown diesels by installing and modifying as needed a Cummins 5.9. Best of both worlds. I understand he doesn't have them any more. Fordges/Forges?

RV/Derek
http://www.rvroadie.com Email on the bottom of my website page.
Retired AF 1971-1998

When you see a worthy man, endeavor to emulate him. When you see an unworthy man, look inside yourself. - Confucius

“Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.” ... Voltaire

I remember when I started looking for an HDT back in '08, there was one in Calif. where the seller had purchased a new F 450 to pull her heavy trailer, and after the 3rd transmission replacement, Ford sent her a letter cancelling the warranty as they claimed she was abusing the truck. They claimed it could pull 24,500 lbs. Her fiver weighed 23K! She immediately got rid of it, and purchased the HDT that I think Rolly later bought.

Wonder if that 7.3 could be dropped in a newer body?

Rocky & Sheri Rhoades
'01 Volvo 770
2016 DRV Mobile Suites, Houston
HERO Makers Ministry

30495168531_143d8fb8d6_m.jpg

I had an 03 Excursion with a 6.0 in it. I had replaced the exhaust with 4" pipe and put an Edge chip in it at 12,000 miles (pulled the chip whenever I took it to the shop). The transmission cratered at 20,000 miles and the EGR cooler shortly thereafter. Other than those two items I never had a bit of trouble with it. I pulled a 30ft bumper pull travel trailer through 28 states with it. I gave it to my stepson with around 250,000 miles on it and he ragged it out until he wrecked it. That was one of the best running trucks I have ever owned.

MY PEOPLE SKILLS ARE JUST FINE.
~It's my tolerance to idiots that needs work.~

2005 Volvo 780 VED12 465hp / Freedomline transmission
singled mid position / Bed by Larry Herrin
2018 customed Mobile Suites 40KSSB3 

2014 smart Fortwo

Lemon lawed a 2003

Traded in a 2006 the last week of its Warrenty after many breakdowns.

My son has a 2007 with 140,000

Never had a problem until a injector just went bad and a oil cooler leak.

While he was working in Guam the last 6 months I had the full built proof kit put on his truck with all new rebuilt injectors.

Today 150 miles after install we lost #5 injector, the shop Warrenty it and back on the road tonight.

while on an errand with my previous 4400, I passed an intersection with one sitting dead smack dab in the middle while hooked to a fiver.

On the way back, he was off on the side of the road after a good Samaritan pulled him out of the intersection but he was having trouble getting a company to send two trucks to handle the job. I offered to hook onto his fiver and tow him to the nearest Ford dealer where his truck would likely be towed/repaired in Guelph, Ontario.

That poor guy got the runaround like nothing I'd ever seen before. I spotted his trailer for him in Elora and heard later he was stuck there for a couple of weeks while arguing with Ford through the dealer for authorization of repairs to a three month old truck.

I met many RV'ers during that period having troubles with that truck and even more trouble getting it fixed by Ford under the warranty they were legally obligated to observe.

Crazy way to treat customers who'd popped for more than $60K (Can. )for a top-line pick-up truck.

Today is just the tomorrow you worried about yesterday!

Bruce, Sandra & Scampi cat SKP#86370

Ford got lucky with Alan Mulally, former CEO of Boeing Aircraft. At Boeing he turned that company from a struggling manufacturer into an international powerhouse.

While Chrysler and GM went bankrupt, Mulally piloted Ford to the successful company that it is today without a government bailout.

The 6.7 diesel was born under the Mulally leadership. I expect that it will prove to be a durable product.

Lance-white-sands-500.jpg

~Rich

I've had a lot of "little" trucks, but never a diesel. I'm the only one on our farm to never have had one, and the only one to have never had motor issues. They bashed my V-10s, but my mileage was similar, often better, and my overall operating costs were far lower. Now that I have two "real" trucks at my disposal, I've dropped back to a half ton for my daily chores. If they ever make a v-8 version of the Eco-Boost, diesels in pick-ups will be history. ;)

The partner with the 6.0 has had the least trouble of the diesels. He's got about 200k on it now.

KW T-680, POPEMOBILE
Newmar X-Aire, VATICAN
Lots of old motorcycles, Moto Guzzi Griso and Spyder F3 currently in the front row
Young enough to play in the dirt as a retired farmer.
contact me at rickeieio1@comcast.net

I've had two, 6 Oh No's and loved them both. The beauty of the 6.0L, thanks to FoMoCo, is that they can be had at a fairly deep discount due to known issues. Fix those things and you have a great truck, IMHO.

2012 F350 KR CC DRW w/ some stuff
2019 Arctic Fox 32-5M
Cindy and Tom, Kasey and Maggie (our Newfie and Berner)
Oh...I forgot the five kids.

I guess. if you buy into it knowing these repairs are needed up front and have the money to get them fixed that is one thing . But if your a kid and not knowing this. It could be really hard to save up for other things like a house (girls). See where I am going with this? You would think the dealer would of warned him of this. Well they got it back and it is there problem now what gose around comes around.

If he wouldn't listen to you, why would he listen to a guy that's paid to put him in the driver seat? You did warn him, right?

I have been wrong before, I'll probably be wrong again. 

2000 Kenworth T 2000 w/N-14 and 10 speed Gen1 Autoshift, deck built by Star Fabrication
2006 smart fourtwo cdi cabriolet
2007 32.5' Fleetwood Quantum

Please e-mail us here.

There's also the issue of FCA and Cummins being sued over emissions on the Cummins-powered Ram trucks--it's not quite the testing scam of VW, but appears to be one of fraud related to claiming trucks were meeting 2010 emissions requirements ahead of schedule, and the banking of emissions credits. It'll be interesting to see how that proceeds.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2016-11-14/dodge-truck-owners-accuse-chrysler-of-vw-like-emissions-cheating

45' 2004 Showhauler -- VNL300, ISX, FreedomLine -- RVnerds.com -- where I've started to write about what I'm up to

Headlight and Fog Light Upgrades http://deepspacelighting.com

If he wouldn't listen to you, why would he listen to a guy that's paid to put him in the driver seat? You did warn him, right?

At the time of purchase nor he or I was aware of the problems that could and have developed in this truck. Weather I warned him or not .I learned the hard way. Don't trust sales men. At the time the truck looked legit. Ran great no oil leaks nothing. So point I was getting at I guess was if you got about 6 to $8000.00 laying around and your are willing to donate it to the ford repair shop this motor is for you. Around here money dose not grow on trees.

Archived