2017 Solar Eclipse. Who's watching and where?

Jeff.Sloan

About the chances of the weather obscuring the view of the eclipse.

This week we are heading to the mountains near John Day, OR, to get set up in a boondocking spot for the eclipse.

To get some idea of what to expect for the weather and our chances to see or not see the eclipse, I went to Weather Underground and looked at the August monthly history calendar for the last 7 years for Central Oregon, near the town of John Day.

Here is a table of the weather that was recorded at the airport at John Day:

Year

Clear Days

Scattered Clouds

Thunder Storms

Rain

If you want to know the history of the weather were you are planning on going to see the eclipse, go to https://www.wunderground.com/  type in the city/state you are going to, then scroll down to the Almanac section. At the bottom of the Almanac table select “August Calendar View”. This will bring up the 2017 calendar. Change the year to 2016 or earlier and it will show the weather history for August of that year. You can get the history for the last 20-40 years for most locations.

Al & Sharon
2006 Winnebago Journey 36G 
2020 Chevy Colorado Toad
San Antonio, TX

http://downtheroadaroundthebend.blogspot.com/

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, Al F said:

About the chances of the weather obscuring the view of the eclipse.

This week we are heading to the mountains near John Day, OR, to get set up in a boondocking spot for the eclipse.

To get some idea of what to expect for the weather and our chances to see or not see the eclipse, I went to Weather Underground and looked at the August monthly history calendar for the last 7 years for Central Oregon, near the town of John Day.

Here is a table of the weather that was recorded at the airport at John Day:

Year

Clear Days

Scattered Clouds

Thunder Storms

Rain

If you want to know the history of the weather were you are planning on going to see the eclipse, go to https://www.wunderground.com/  type in the city/state you are going to, then scroll down to the Almanac section. At the bottom of the Almanac table select “August Calendar View”. This will bring up the 2017 calendar. Change the year to 2016 or earlier and it will show the weather history for August of that year. You can get the history for the last 20-40 years for most locations.

Shucks.......seems that WXunderXX forgot to include the Forest Fire Smoke visibility........

Local logging company in Prineville (West of John Day)has a big chunk of land rented out to 30,000 campers for the eclipse ........Forest Service is mortified that that many pot-lovers are toking-up in the high of the forest fire season......

I have seen less than ONE mile visibility in heavy smoke in aircraft operations in and out of John Day and Prairie City during July, August, and Sept.......

Drive on........(Might not need googles .......except to keep the smoke out of your eyes.......)

97 Freightshaker Century Cummins M11-370 / 1350 /10 spd / 3:08 /tandem/ 20ft Garage/ 30 ft Curtis Dune toybox with a removable horse-haul-module to transport Dolly-The-Painthorse to horse camps and trail heads all over the Western U S

My son is with the intermountain division of the FBI and they are calling out the ID National Guard for crowd control and safety in the rural communities of Idaho as the roadways and police depts are not adequate to handle a population increase of 10x in those areas.  Expect gridlock well before any of the locations in the "path", driveways, lawns, all available space is being rented  - boondocking space will be full.  They are calling in for extra food / bottled water for the towns in the area- local resources will not be adequate - they are concerned about sewer / trash.  If you can get out to a boondocking site by the 18th and stay a week you should be alright.  I now prefer no crowds and less people per acre and I was at "Woodstock" back in the day.

4 hours ago, Dollytrolley said:

Shucks.......seems that WXunderXX forgot to include the Forest Fire Smoke visibility........

Local logging company in Prineville (West of John Day)has a big chunk of land rented out to 30,000 campers for the eclipse ........Forest Service is mortified that that many pot-lovers are toking-up in the high of the forest fire season......

I have seen less than ONE mile visibility in heavy smoke in aircraft operations in and out of John Day and Prairie City during July, August, and Sept.......

Drive on........(Might not need googles .......except to keep the smoke out of your eyes.......)

Goodness!  All that stuff MIGHT happen.  Then if it doesn't happen and someone didn't go to see the eclipse because all the stuff you mention MIGHT happen, they sure will be disappointed. 

Why is it necessary to talk up all the doom and gloom.

By the way, I tend to look at all the doom and gloom you are predicting, with about the same eye as I would if someone was to start talking up all the horrible things that happen to people who drive on the highways in the USA. 

--  30,000 to 40,000 people die every year in auto and truck accidents

--  many more thousands more are seriously injured every year.

Based on that same type of doom and gloom we should never venture out of our homes on to the highways.

Oh, and what about the people who die in home fires?  Home invasions? 

There is one thing that is actually happening as versus MIGHT happen.  As of this week there is quite a bit of haze in the sky across most of Oregon from forest fires in BC Canada.  If the haze continues, it will obscure, but not block out the eclipse.  No doubt that will be a bit of a disappointment for us, but then stuff happens.  I can't spend all my life not doing something because something MIGHT happen.  

If anyone wants to go see the eclipse, make prudent plans and GO.  Don't worry about the weather.  It will happen or it won't.  The chances are very good the weather, east of the Cascade mountains in Oregon, will be good enough so you can see the eclipse.  So go and hope for the best.  Ignore the doom and gloom. 

Al & Sharon
2020 Chevy Colorado Toad
San Antonio, TX

Headed up to Nebraska from CO on Sunday.  Just goona boondock...we have a place picked out. If the traffic is too bad  or the people too crazy we can always "shelter in place"... :)

Jack & Danielle Mayer #60376 Lifetime Member
Living on the road since 2000

PLEASE no PM's. Email me. jackdanmayer AT gmail
2016 DRV Houston 44' 5er (we still have it)
2022 New Horizons 43' 5er
2016 Itasca 27N 28' motorhome 
2019 Volvo 860, D13 455/1850, 236" wb, I-Shift, battery-based APU
No truck at the moment - we use one of our demo units
2016 smart Passion, piggyback on the truck
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
See our website for info on New Horizons 5th wheels, HDTs as tow vehicles, communications on the road, and use of solar power
www.jackdanmayer.com
Principal in RVH Lifestyles. RVH-Lifestyles.com

The doom and gloom, predicted earlier in this topic for Oregon, may just prove to be true.  Yesterday (Monday 8/7/17) the weather person on a Portland TV said the 14 day forecast is predicting cloudy and rainy skies over most of Oregon for the day of the eclipse.  That is a long, long way out for weather predictions, so hopefully the weather will be nice.

We are en route today toward the mountains in Central OR.  We should be set up, in a place yet to be decided, by Thursday (8/10).  

If it is cloudy, rainy, smokey, etc that is what it will be. Can't do much about it. Mother nature chose not to look kindly on us this time around. She is usually pretty kind to us. 

Just got to work to be careful to seriously conserve our black & gray tank usage, or we will have to make a trip into town next week to dump.  Fresh water not a big problem.  I recently bought a 30 gallon water bladder to haul water from town, plus a pair of 6 gallon water tanks.  To move the water from the truck to the RV I have a old RV water pump I rigged up to plug into the cigarette lighter plug in the truck.

I'll be sure to update after the eclipse just what happened.

Al & Sharon
2020 Chevy Colorado Toad
San Antonio, TX

On 8/7/2017 at 3:49 PM, Al F said:

Goodness!  All that stuff MIGHT happen.  Then if it doesn't happen and someone didn't go to see the eclipse because all the stuff you mention MIGHT happen, they sure will be disappointed. 

Why is it necessary to talk up all the doom and gloom.

By the way, I tend to look at all the doom and gloom you are predicting, with about the same eye as I would if someone was to start talking up all the horrible things that happen to people who drive on the highways in the USA. 

--  30,000 to 40,000 people die every year in auto and truck accidents

--  many more thousands more are seriously injured every year.

Based on that same type of doom and gloom we should never venture out of our homes on to the highways.

Oh, and what about the people who die in home fires?  Home invasions? 

There is one thing that is actually happening as versus MIGHT happen.  As of this week there is quite a bit of haze in the sky across most of Oregon from forest fires in BC Canada.  If the haze continues, it will obscure, but not block out the eclipse.  No doubt that will be a bit of a disappointment for us, but then stuff happens.  I can't spend all my life not doing something because something MIGHT happen.  

If anyone wants to go see the eclipse, make prudent plans and GO.  Don't worry about the weather.  It will happen or it won't.  The chances are very good the weather, east of the Cascade mountains in Oregon, will be good enough so you can see the eclipse.  So go and hope for the best.  Ignore the doom and gloom. 

IA F,

You know you bring a lot of valid point to the table.........

What I bring to the table is considerable ......."Local Experience"..........

Our family moved to Central  around the time of the "War"........Civil War.......

I was born in Prineville ........Just West of John Day where you intend to boondock (a lot of twisty narrow two lane road).

It very likely that your camp site might be within view of land that my family has owned in the +150 years in Central Oregon...

I have "operated" in many locations in my life time however I have always owned at least one home in Central Oregon during my adult life.....

I have walked, ridden horses, operated dozers, dirt bikes, aircraft, and snow shoes over much of Central Oregon for near 7 decades........

So........does this make me some kind of expert...........well likely not.... but ....I just likely might claim "considerable-experience"  with Central Oregon........

I don't wish to throw the "Doom & Gloom-Blanket" on anyone and their eclipse camping ......... but here is what concerns many of us "Local-hillbillies".......

The John Day country is very nice country with many pretty places to boondock.......the roads are twisty often steep and narrow, most have to follow drainage's and often zig-zag from one creek to the next creek and it can take considerable time to travel this back country........much of the county has fairly dense forest......

The smoke that we have here in Central Oregon here now comes from forest fires.......many are local Oregon small to moderate sized fires presently.........

I have over the course of my adult life have flown for many different "concerns" including the U S Forest service as well as the DNR (Dept of Nat Resources) and "others"........

Forest fires happen in Oregon........every year it is a battle and some years mother nature kicks A$$ and NO AMOUNT of manpower, MONEY, and blood-sweat-and-tears can put these fires out...........some years the winter snows put out the fires.....

As a young pilot I rubbed elbows with larger-than-life old aerial-tanker pilots that often took HUGE risks to save folks lives trapped on the ground during  some forest fires........those days are gone.....no hero flights are tolerated these days.....

Aerial fire fighting is insanely  dangerous and the loss of life is common........

I as a younger "Save-the-world-pilot" thought it was a hell-of-job and some moments it was........HELL...... more than a few times I thought I might soil my undies but........I was way way too busy..........

Before we would become involved in ......"adverse-operations" we would try to consider the various methods to obtain alternate exits from known "entrapment points".........

IF only HALF of the eclipse campers arrive in the John Day, campers will find it will be very slow driving on the roads and IF local forest fires flare the crowds will likely be trapped..........

Forest fires come in all shapes, sizes, and speeds..........EVERY forest fire is DEADLY.........

At +200 mph in a aircraft I have been amazed at the view of a fire-storm explode a ridge 3 miles across a canyon......how do you out run a fire like that........ you don't.........

Now there are experts in the forest fire fighting game they are called "Hotshots" and just to drive home how serious the "game" is to play, just stop for a few minutes in my home town and take a stroll through the park in Prineville.......it is a sober walk......

http://www.oregonlive.com/travel/index.ssf/2014/05/prineville_wildland_firefighte.html

I do not wish Doom & Gloom on anyone.......what I do wish is that everyone plan ahead of time about a escape plan if fires start.......even the Hotshots don't always win........

Drive on..........(escape plan is........vital)

97 Freightshaker Century Cummins M11-370 / 1350 /10 spd / 3:08 /tandem/ 20ft Garage/ 30 ft Curtis Dune toybox with a removable horse-haul-module to transport Dolly-The-Painthorse to horse camps and trail heads all over the Western U S

23 hours ago, Mntom said:

I'm gonna be in NE Ohio, so I won't get to see the real dark part..........

Hi Mntom,

What part of northeast Ohio will you be in ? I live in Canton myself.

Al

2012 Volvo VNL 630 w/ I-Shift; D13 engine; " Veeger "
  Redwood, model 3401R ; 5th Wheel Trailer, " Dead Wood "
    2006 Smart Car " Killer Frog "

34 minutes ago, Mntom said:

I am in Orwell for the next couple of weeks. Not all that far north of you.

P/M sent.       Al

On 8/8/2017 at 2:52 PM, Al F said:

The doom and gloom, predicted earlier in this topic for Oregon, may just prove to be true.  Yesterday (Monday 8/7/17) the weather person on a Portland TV said the 14 day forecast is predicting cloudy and rainy skies over most of Oregon for the day of the eclipse.  That is a long, long way out for weather predictions, so hopefully the weather will be nice.

We are en route today toward the mountains in Central OR.  We should be set up, in a place yet to be decided, by Thursday (8/10).  

If it is cloudy, rainy, smokey, etc that is what it will be. Can't do much about it. Mother nature chose not to look kindly on us this time around. She is usually pretty kind to us. 

Just got to work to be careful to seriously conserve our black & gray tank usage, or we will have to make a trip into town next week to dump.  Fresh water not a big problem.  I recently bought a 30 gallon water bladder to haul water from town, plus a pair of 6 gallon water tanks.  To move the water from the truck to the RV I have a old RV water pump I rigged up to plug into the cigarette lighter plug in the truck.

I'll be sure to update after the eclipse just what happened.

Central Oregon Severe Watches & WarningsNOAA Weather Radio

Watches & Warnings

Fire Weather Watch
Issued: 9:58 PM PDT Aug. 9, 2017 – National Weather Service
... Fire Weather Watch remains in effect from Thursday afternoon
through Friday evening for abundant lightning and gusty outflow
winds for fire weather zones 610 and 640... 

* affected area... in orz610... fire weather zone 610. In orz640... 
  fire weather zone 640. 

* Timing... scattered thunderstorms will develop during the 
  afternoons and continue into the evenings each day. Also 
  isolated thunderstorms may persist into the early morning 
  hours before sunrise.

* Lightning activity... 3... possibly up to 4.

* Precipitation... a tenth to two tenths of an inch under storm 
  cores.

* Impacts... any fires that develop will likely spread rapidly. 
  Outdoor burning is not recommended.

Precautionary/preparedness actions... 

A Fire Weather Watch means that critical fire weather conditions
are forecast to occur. Listen for later forecasts and possible
red flag warnings.

4 hours ago, Dollytrolley said:

Central Oregon Severe Watches & WarningsNOAA Weather Radio

Watches & Warnings

Fire Weather Watch
Issued: 9:58 PM PDT Aug. 9, 2017 – National Weather Service

... Fire Weather Watch remains in effect from Thursday afternoon
through Friday evening for abundant lightning and gusty outflow
winds for fire weather zones 610 and 640... 

* affected area... in orz610... fire weather zone 610. In orz640... 
  fire weather zone 640. 

* Timing... scattered thunderstorms will develop during the 
  afternoons and continue into the evenings each day. Also 
  isolated thunderstorms may persist into the early morning 
  hours before sunrise.

* Lightning activity... 3... possibly up to 4.

* Precipitation... a tenth to two tenths of an inch under storm 
  cores.

* Impacts... any fires that develop will likely spread rapidly. 
  Outdoor burning is not recommended.

Precautionary/preparedness actions... 

A Fire Weather Watch means that critical fire weather conditions
are forecast to occur. Listen for later forecasts and possible
red flag warnings.

And just how is this different than my drive from about 35 miles west of Portland, through Portland, then on I-84 to Biggs Junction and then down the winding twisting SR-19 & SR-402 to Long Creek, on Tuesday & Wednesday. 

I faced the dangers of some other driver, or even me, doing something stupid or blowing a tire and having a horrible accident.

BTW, the National Forest has a fire ban going.  I would assume the county does as well.

I think both didn't find a way to tell Mother Nature about the fire ban though. :)

Al & Sharon
2020 Chevy Colorado Toad
San Antonio, TX

We are hoping to be in Shoshoni, WY for the eclipse. My original plan was Casper, WY or maybe somewhere in Nebraska but then started reading about all the people expected on some of those small towns. A highschool friend who is following our progress to get on the road wrote me out of the blue and said his brother-in-law is a homesteader in WY and had plenty of room for us. So we have a private spot reserved for us and looking forward to making it out there. 

The Monday after that, we are due in Silverton, CO so we will be heading down there. 

Dan (Class of 2017) - 2012 Ram 3500 & 2005 Alpenlite Valhalla 29RK
Contact me at rvsolarconsulting.com or Two Wheel Ramblin

What Dollytrolly sez ^ ... if you don't have vertical take off and fly away capability please be careful in the back country full of not normally back country folks stampeding around to see the eclipse... 

which will ill be replayed 10,000 times on the tee vee

"Are we there yet?" asked no motorcycle rider, ever. 

• 2 weeks later...

Got our Easy Up set up in front lawn.  Moon pies and Sunkist soda on ice.  Ready to go in East Tennessee.

2006 Volvo 780 "Hoss" Volvo D12, 465hp, 1650 ft/lbs tq., ultrashift

Bed Build by "JW Morgan's Custom Welding"

2017 DRV 39DBRS3

2013 Smart Passion Coupe "Itty Bitty"

"Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first!"

3DkRDFTl.jpg

Extra protection for young eyes.

IbyALLol.jpg

2017 DRV 39DBRS3

"Don't go around saying the world owes you a living. The world owes you nothing. It was here first!"

Hi Carl,

Those moon pies sure look good. Welding helmet  is all cleaned up ready to go. Be careful down there in Tennessee. You know that the mother ship is making a return trip to earth. lol. You are real lucking being down there. Only 80 % here in northeast Ohio.

Have fun and enjoy,
Al

My auto darkening welding helmet at 13 is the cat's meow.  1/8 covered now. This is really cool. 

2017 DRV 39DBRS3

Be careful with an auto dark helmet, a fixed shade is OK but, they say the auto could go light before it is safe.   

Steve

2005 Peterbilt 387-112 Baby Cat 9 speed U-shift

1996/2016 remod Teton Royal Atlanta

1996 Kentucky 48 single drop stacker garage project

catdiesellogo.jpg.e96e571c41096ef39b447f78b9c2027c.jpg Pulls like a train, sounds like a plane....faster than a Cheetah sniffin cocaine.   

Just now, Steve from SoCal said:

Be careful with an auto dark helmet, a fixed shade is OK but, they say the auto could go light before it is safe.   

Steve

Thanks Steve. We start looking down at ground then slowly up to be sure it is functioning. Also have four pairs of NASA glasses and two pin hole cameras. Grandkids are loving this. Thanks to our creator for such an event in my lifetime and family to share it with. 

2017 DRV 39DBRS3

18 minutes ago, SuiteSuccess said:

My auto darkening welding helmet at 13 is the cat's meow.  1/8 covered now. This is really cool. 

I typically use auto dark lenses for work.  I was wondering about the ability for them to trigger with the eclipse.  I think a fixed shade would be safer for that type of thing.

Marcel

Archived